Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Small 3lb brisket rubbed and ready for the traeger tomorrow. First brisket I've tried on any type of smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
I’m doing ribs for the second time on my new traeger. On my first attempt the meat was stuck to the bone in the thickest part. I now how have wireless thermometer. Am I shooting for 204 at the thickest on those? I’m going to use the 3-2-1 method.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I don't bother doing probes for ribs. It's all about the bend test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLGYF8cDCE

You don't want the meat to fall off the bone. It should come off with some resistance, and you should be able to bite in the middle and leave a bite mark without pulling the surrounding meat off the bone.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 8, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Same, they’re too thin and bony to be probed well so you just have to go by feel.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Awesome, thanks guys!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Canuckistan posted:

I don't bother doing probes for ribs. It's all about the bend test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLGYF8cDCE

You don't want the meat to fall off the bone. It should come off with some resistance, and you should be able to bite in the middle and leave a bite mark without pulling the surrounding meat off the bone.

A lot of people indeed do want fall off the bone, and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with that. Just like some folks prefer pulled pork over a pork chop.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Anybody have a temp and time they use for chicken legs? Take to 165 or higher? Doing a combo naked, dry rub, traditional spice, and wet BBQ.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of ribs, I have a couple huge racks of St. Louis spareribs and they are huge. What’s the best way to join two pieces of foil together to wrap ribs? Should I get some kind of food-safe heat-resistant tape or something?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anything wrong with cutting the racks in half?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Anything wrong with cutting the racks in half?

Not really, I’m just curious if there’s a way to do it without cutting them.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Get a big roll of foil from Costco. The wide rolls are 18 inches versus the usual 12 inches, and I think it's a thicker foil as well. I doubt there's a rack big enough that you can't foil it with these. If I'm making 4+ racks I usually put two racks in a pouch made from two layers of foil, along with some honey and apple juice. I've had too many pouches get a puncture from a bone, so now I just double foil every time.

Hasselblad posted:

A lot of people indeed do want fall off the bone, and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with that. Just like some folks prefer pulled pork over a pork chop.

Absolutely, do what makes you happy. When I want a mess of ribs and I don't feel like waiting 6 hours then I'll make a rack or two in the pressure cooker and it's pretty drat good. Sure, they're cooked way more than I usually like them, but they're pretty drat good when you add some smoked paprika to the rub and caramelize the sauce under the broiler.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 9, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
double post.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of ribs, I have a couple huge racks of St. Louis spareribs and they are huge. What’s the best way to join two pieces of foil together to wrap ribs? Should I get some kind of food-safe heat-resistant tape or something?

buy the big roll of foil at costco, it's big enough

are you sure they're fully trimmed if they are 'huge'? i usually trim off the ribtips and save them for stock

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I find the generic walmart brand of foil is way thicker/durable than the reynolds wrap.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuckistan posted:

Get a big roll of foil from Costco.

BraveUlysses posted:

buy the big roll of foil at costco, it's big enough

There’s no Costco anywhere near me, but there’s a Sam’s Club. Will they have that?

BraveUlysses posted:

are you sure they're fully trimmed if they are 'huge'? i usually trim off the ribtips and save them for stock

The butcher said he was sure. :shrug:

They do look a bit big to me though.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yes, I buy the extra wide rolls we Sam's Club

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Pull out one piece of foil to your desired length. Pull out an identical peice and lay it on top of the first piece where the shiny side is facing the shiny side (or dull side facing dull side, doesn't matter).

Once they're directly on top of each other take both sheets and fold about 0.25" to 0.5" over down the long edge. Repeat this 2 or 3 more times. You'll end up with a nearly liquid tight seal between the two sheets and now you have a single sheet of foil that's near double the width of the original sheet.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Anyone have advice/suggestions on a handheld smoke gun style device? I'm looking to do some basic cold-smoking, ideally some fish, maybe cheeses. I think a smoke gun would be my best bet, but I really don't know. I've currently got a PBC and some access to my friend's MES(though minimal experience with it).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Veritek83 posted:

Anyone have advice/suggestions on a handheld smoke gun style device? I'm looking to do some basic cold-smoking, ideally some fish, maybe cheeses. I think a smoke gun would be my best bet, but I really don't know. I've currently got a PBC and some access to my friend's MES(though minimal experience with it).

The Kitchen Equipment thread seems to like the Breville Smoking Gun and Smoking Gun Pro, which I think can be handheld.

EDIT: Looking for those, I noticed there’s been an explosion of cheap Chinese knockoff crap on Amazon since I last checked there for smoke guns.

WHY YES I WOULD LOVE TO BUY A PRODUCT FROM A COMPANY CALLED “TMKEFFC” THAT NAME DOESN’T SOUND SUSPICIOUS AT ALL, THANK AMAZON :shepface:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 10, 2020

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

I've used an A-maze-n pellet maze for cold smoking. I smoked cheese during the colder months to eliminate the need for a tray of ice inside my Traeger.

They're also useful for adding additional smoke flavours by using a different flavoured pellet/dust when cooking meat.

I'm assuming you've also got access to a vacuum sealer for when you're done cold smoking.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Veritek83 posted:

Honestly the easiest thing I had with this was something I learned on here. Old tin can, (new) soldering iron with tip drilled inside, and some wood chips. I plugged in and used it in the base of my old Weber kettle for cheese and salt and stuff. Not bad for a few bucks, and depending on where you live there’s still plenty of time in the season. I’ve used trays of ice to keep the area cool as the season gets warmer.

I always got the idea that the smoking guns were for finishing touches like adding a Smokey hint to a drink or individually finishing water in ice cube trays.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I. M. Gei posted:

Why are you wrapping ribs? :confused:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jan posted:

Why are you wrapping ribs? :confused:

to do the 3-2-1, duh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You want butcher paper for that, if you must braise your ribs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Anybody have a temp and time they use for chicken legs? Take to 165 or higher? Doing a combo naked, dry rub, traditional spice, and wet BBQ.

165° is safe, but I actually prefer to take dark meat a bit further, to maybe 170-175° or so. I’ve had quite a few comments and complaints about undercooked chicken when I pull at 165°.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sad day today... I went to make pulled pork in the am and....

My MES is dead possibly, after several years of service the last winter Storm of the winter did her in. Blew the cover off somewhere and then it got snow / water / something because it keeps tripping my GFCI outlet. I need d to 2x check that it's not the outlet still

In that regard still the best electric smoker option?

Also Crock pot pulled pork is just sad.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Sad day today... I went to make pulled pork in the am and....

My MES is dead possibly, after several years of service the last winter Storm of the winter did her in. Blew the cover off somewhere and then it got snow / water / something because it keeps tripping my GFCI outlet. I need d to 2x check that it's not the outlet still

In that regard still the best electric smoker option?

Also Crock pot pulled pork is just sad.

Check the element. Mine popped and was $25 in parts.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

The Kitchen Equipment thread seems to like the Breville Smoking Gun and Smoking Gun Pro, which I think can be handheld.

EDIT: Looking for those, I noticed there’s been an explosion of cheap Chinese knockoff crap on Amazon since I last checked there for smoke guns.

WHY YES I WOULD LOVE TO BUY A PRODUCT FROM A COMPANY CALLED “TMKEFFC” THAT NAME DOESN’T SOUND SUSPICIOUS AT ALL, THANK AMAZON :shepface:

Amazon is loving horrendous at this point. Trying to sift through 90% of products being cheap chinese knockoffs requires some serious effort.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MrYenko posted:

165° is safe, but I actually prefer to take dark meat a bit further, to maybe 170-175° or so. I’ve had quite a few comments and complaints about undercooked chicken when I pull at 165°.

Why listen to people who don't know what they're talking about?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hasselblad posted:

Amazon is loving horrendous at this point. Trying to sift through 90% of products being cheap chinese knockoffs requires some serious effort.

tfw u realize trump was right about the china trade war

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I. M. Gei posted:

to do the 3-2-1, duh

Texas Crutching your meat is something that works for large cuts like brisket, where the meat-to-surface ratio is so high that the temperature stalls for a long enough time to dry out the outside. Ribs don't need crutching or 3-2-1 or whatever you want to call it. Save yourself the hassle, just do straight up 4-6 hours until they pass the bend test.

Our pellet smoker runs a bit hot so the number is usually closer to 3-4 hours, but it's amazing, simple and no need to faff around with wrapping meat.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

tfw u realize trump was right about the china trade war

It's not the products as much as the hundreds of fake reviews.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Jan posted:

Texas Crutching your meat is something that works for large cuts like brisket, where the meat-to-surface ratio is so high that the temperature stalls for a long enough time to dry out the outside. Ribs don't need crutching or 3-2-1 or whatever you want to call it. Save yourself the hassle, just do straight up 4-6 hours until they pass the bend test.

Our pellet smoker runs a bit hot so the number is usually closer to 3-4 hours, but it's amazing, simple and no need to faff around with wrapping meat.

I vote for this guy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jan posted:

Preach it, friend.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

$6/lb tomahawks drying out:

Been ghetto dry aging, SVing, short smoking, and then charring the hell out of these.
(smoking beforehand added no benefit, and SV bags allow smokiness to seep out)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ I wish I could dry age my own steaks. How do you do it?

Jan posted:

Yeah but, on the other hand...

Hasselblad posted:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 12, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

It is ghetto. I just let them pretty much dehydrate for up to a week in the fridge (after putting liberal salt/pepper on them). They dry out enough that a ton of the water is released, leaving just fat and meat, but not getting a lot of the decomposing associated with DA. Never go so long as to grow mold like traditional dry aging, but the difference of just removing that much liquid makes a world of difference. They are pretty stiff after that period, but soften right up when tossed on the grill. (or in the case of stupidly thick ones like this, sous vide then nuclear blast heated grill)

I may at some point try dry aging bags, but those fuckers are expensive.

edit: will try to remember to get a pic after the dryaning.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 12, 2020

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Saint Kenji is pretty adamant that you should only dry age whole roasts or primal cuts, and that you can't age individual steaks enough to make a significant difference. While I've never tried it myself, I'd tend to agree. That rotten steak cross-section is :barf:

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah but, on the other hand...

No harm in fall-off-the-bone, either!

I'd just be careful not to overdo it, back when I first did try foiling ribs, I found that 3-2-1 gave waaaay too soft results, more mushy than anything. Start with 3-1-1, maybe, you can unwrap it after the first hour and see if it feels tender enough and rewrap it if not.

But I'll just let the results speak for themselves in favour of not foiling:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jan posted:

Saint Kenji is pretty adamant that you should only dry age whole roasts or primal cuts, and that you can't age individual steaks enough to make a significant difference.

The very process of removing so much moisture helps. Trust me, it is the difference between frying in fat compared to having the meat steam in it's own juices. Keep in mind this is for steaks with a lot of marbling, and not something like a filet. But yeah, "real" dry aging is a large piece of zombie flesh you are cutting steaks from after the process (and trimming a poo poo ton off of). And for that you pay for the decay.

Dehydrating (imho, and after doing this quite a bit) is the largest improvement over right-out-of-the-case steak. Unless you absolutely have to have those "nutty, cheese-like, decay" notes and mouthfeel, you will improve your meat in a large way by simply salting and racking in the fridge for a few days.

edit: unlike that kenji guy, I salt/pepper and put mine directly onto a rack, with no wrapping.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

True, an overnight salt + dehydration does help, especially for grilling, or if you don't have a range + pan strong enough for a full blast sear. Pedantically speaking, that's not dry aging, though. :pseudo: