Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Biden has FL ge in play & Mayor Pete on trade. Also, now looks like he can win w/ Harris @ the VP slot in the Midwest!

Best-case scenario: Polls hold up & Bernie drops out so we don't have to deal w/ another debate & can move on to VP conjecture until July.

Biden will lose in the general. He is not up to being president and most people know it. If he wins it will be like governance from a 90s republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ManBoyChef posted:

Biden will lose in the general. He is not up to being president and most people know it.

He’s not going to inspire someone to switch sides. He has nothing to offer nor stands for anything and has a lot of scandals. No one is going to go for Trump Lite Middle of Road when they get complete Trump.

The Dems are more protecting themselves from Bernie and the Left than trying to beat Trump.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Biden has FL ge in play

He doesn't. Those clips of him bragging about. trying to cut Medicare and social security are going to be played nonstop. He's got no chance there in the GE.

quote:

& Mayor Pete on trade.

Not gonna help overcome all those clips of him loudly praising/defending NAFTA.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lemming posted:

Bullshit

Started at $12, negotiated to $10.10, but most importantly it was pegged to inflation so it wouldn’t require another pass to pass for future increases. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_Wage_Fairness_Act

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/shariaprelaw/status/1237437493122928641?s=20

He can’t even take a voter loving joking with him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

He’s not going to inspire someone to switch sides.

Weird that suddenly this is something people here care about after years of decrying attempts to peel off Republicans.

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/shariaprelaw/status/1237437493122928641?s=20

He can’t even take a voter loving joking with him.

I've said this before and I'm saying it again, it's obvious he does not want to be doing this at all. Either he has too much pride to drop out or someone is making him stay in, either way it's downright abusive. Just let the man sundown in peace.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Gatts posted:

He’s not going to inspire someone to switch sides.

🤷🏿‍♂️

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1237388911950753795

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Never Trumpers lol

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Started at $12, negotiated to $10.10, but most importantly it was pegged to inflation so it wouldn’t require another pass to pass for future increases. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_Wage_Fairness_Act

real shame those fight for fifteen guys convinced John Boehner not to pass it, huh

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

"Remember when we almost had a $12/minimum wage that would have been pegged to inflation back in 2010? But the “fight for 15!” people helped kill it."

quote:

Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR) opposed the bill.[3] Pryor is up for election in 2014 and is considered "the Senate's most vulnerable incumbent."[14] Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) preferred legislation that would have a greater chance of becoming law, such as an increase to only $9 an hour.[3] Senator Mark Warner (D-VA) expressed a willingness to negotiate with Republicans about some of the provisions of the bill, such as the timeline for the phase-in.[3] Warner said that any increase needs to be done "in a responsible way."[14]

Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA) wanted additional debate on the timeline and the raise for tipped workers.[3] Landrieu said that "I do not believe that $10.10 an hour is too high to aspire to, but how quickly we get there and what increments, the tipped wage, how that should be handled, who should get paid the tipped wage, and who shouldn't. There are a lot of questions about that, and some of those discussions are going on."[3]

Go gently caress yourself you disingenuous liar piece of poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Fight for $15 started in 2012, you're praising the attempt to undercut the minimum wage movement that went loving nowhere. edit: "The Senate today voted (54-42) to block consideration of the Minimum Wage Fairness Act (S.2223), denying higher wages for millions of Americans, including a disproportionate number of African Americans, Latinos, women, and LGBT workers. The bill needed 60 votes in order to advance to a vote on the Senate floor." hell yeah pragmatism!

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 10, 2020

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Gatts posted:

He’s not going to inspire someone to switch sides. He has nothing to offer nor stands for anything and has a lot of scandals. No one is going to go for Trump Lite Middle of Road when they get complete Trump.

The Dems are more protecting themselves from Bernie and the Left than trying to beat Trump.

Exactly why I am so angry about all this. They would rather lose to trump than win with Bernie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lemming posted:

"Remember when we almost had a $12/minimum wage that would have been pegged to inflation back in 2010? But the “fight for 15!” people helped kill it."

Go gently caress yourself you disingenuous liar piece of poo poo.
There's no reason for that kind of language. You have no idea if they're lying or if they're just dumb as dogshit.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I kinda like that Biden told a guy he was full of poo poo, honestly. Because A) he was and B) no one gives a poo poo about decorum anymore, and they shouldn't. Get Bernie up there telling Biden he's full of poo poo when he says he never wanted to cut social security, and I'll be happy about that too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WELP!!!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dietrich posted:

I kinda like that Biden told a guy he was full of poo poo, honestly. Because A) he was and B) no one gives a poo poo about decorum anymore, and they shouldn't. Get Bernie up there telling Biden he's full of poo poo when he says he never wanted to cut social security, and I'll be happy about that too.

There are effective ways of expressing your anger, and then there are embarrassing ways. Biden chose the latter path.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gatts posted:

WELP!!!

They can say what they want. People said they were going to vote Bernie too then freaked in the voting booth. We'll see what the voter totals are, now and in November.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oracle posted:

They can say what they want. People said they were going to vote Bernie too then freaked in the voting booth. We'll see what the voter totals are, now and in November.

Yeah, I love that anybody believes anything Never Trumpers say in TYOOL 2020.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1237439759577944064
https://twitter.com/Cam_Is_Like/status/1237443147644448769

Also, remember the Nazis trying to crash the Bernie rally? The media doesn't.

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1237443933690626049

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What is this "manufacturing consent" you speak of?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Oracle posted:

I really do think there are going to be a lot of disillusioned people on the left that just feel like they don't belong in the party if biden wins and they might just stay home. Even something like 5% would be pretty drastic.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Like yeah, that's lovely. But this is the primary, talk about those things. I don't see the point of preemptive defeatism for November though. I would vastly prefer not to have to say anything positive about Biden, and vastly prefer Bernie eeks out a win today, anything that ejects the thread from its current cannibalistic death spiral. But "Biden=Trump" arguments are just indefencible.

Hell yeah that's the spirit!

Online is not real life. ;)

People who say that Biden = Trump, Biden will slash social security, Biden will cave to Republicans are the same people who said Manchin wouldn't vote to impeach Trump. Centrism is much less an ideology than it is a strategy. If the wind blows left -- and it's loving hurricane-ing left -- they will move left. All the centrist talk about budgets and all that is because of the centrist belief that they can get moderates on their side. That's centrist politics. That's how Biden operates. So no way that everyone in the party is against social security cuts and Biden goes "well, we have to do it to compromise." Like, that's not loving happening regardless of what Biden said in that past (and that video of him "lauding" Paul Ryan is fake news).

We want Bernie. But if Biden wins, we will have the most leftist President in recent history. If that's not a huge zero gravity step up from the shitshow we have now, then there's no use in using reason to convince anyone otherwise.

I don't like Biden. I don't think he's demented. Yes, Biden will beat Trump badly, probably on the backs of black people who routinely save our asses from self destruction.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dietrich posted:

Uh no you see we need to show :decorum: to gun-humping single-issue voters because they might not vote for us.

On a serious note yes Bernie needs to just lay into Biden.

ManBoyChef posted:

I really do think there are going to be a lot of disillusioned people on the left that just feel like they don't belong in the party if biden wins and they might just stay home. Even something like 5% would be pretty drastic.

ManBoyChef posted:

Exactly why I am so angry about all this. They would rather lose to trump than win with Bernie.

:irony:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

ManBoyChef posted:

DNC doesn't mind. To them, losing in November is favorable compared to letting Bernie win now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

booseek posted:

But if Biden wins, we will have the most leftist President in recent history.

You're going to have to unpack this assertion, because the guy who said he would veto M4A doesn't strike me as very leftist.

quote:

I don't like Biden. I don't think he's demented. Yes, Biden will beat Trump badly, probably on the backs of black people who routinely save our asses from self destruction.

Black people didn't turn out en masse for Clinton in 2016, although she claimed she'd be able to get them to. Why will they turn out for Biden?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How are msnbcs ratings these days?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Uh no you see we need to show :decorum: to gun-humping single-issue voters because they might not vote for us.

That's not why people are lampooning Biden for this. It's because he came off as a flailing, sputtering old man who couldn't get a coherent sentence out - the type of person who would get royally steamrolled by Trump in debates.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

That's not why people are lampooning Biden for this. It's because he came off as a flailing, sputtering old man who couldn't get a coherent sentence out - the type of person who would get royally steamrolled by Trump in debates.

Yes because there's so little evidence of that floating around, we just had to use this video where someone accused him of wanting to destroy the 2nd Amendment, which as we know is a thing that would totally happen.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Majorian posted:

Also, he has responded the exact same way to voters who have pressed him on immigration, healthcare, etc.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

booseek posted:

People who say that Biden = Trump, Biden will slash social security, Biden will cave to Republicans are the same people who said Manchin wouldn't vote to impeach Trump. Centrism is much less an ideology than it is a strategy. If the wind blows left -- and it's loving hurricane-ing left -- they will move left. All the centrist talk about budgets and all that is because of the centrist belief that they can get moderates on their side. That's centrist politics. That's how Biden operates. So no way that everyone in the party is against social security cuts and Biden goes "well, we have to do it to compromise." Like, that's not loving happening regardless of what Biden said in that past (and that video of him "lauding" Paul Ryan is fake news).

We want Bernie. But if Biden wins, we will have the most leftist President in recent history. If that's not a huge zero gravity step up from the shitshow we have now, then there's no use in using reason to convince anyone otherwise.

You can't talk about how centrism is more strategy than ideology then turn to talking about the centrist belief that anyone honestly gives a poo poo about the deficit or budgets despite all that talk disappearing every time a Republican is president.

Biden is an ideologue. Centrism is an ideology. The guy talking about potentially vetoing M4A even if it hits his desk is not beholden to any actual pragmatic strategy.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Angry_Ed posted:

On a serious note yes Bernie needs to just lay into Biden.

:irony:

what i have heard from a lot of people I have talked to and that i meet when I watch independent media i see a lot of people staying home.

edit: didnt follow the rules

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 10, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

Also, he has responded the exact same way to voters who have pressed him on immigration, healthcare, etc.

Weird how none of those got multiple pages of people defending the questioner and even trying to pass him off as an Obama->Trump voter who needs to be swayed back :laffo:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Yes because there's so little evidence of that floating around, we just had to use this video where someone accused him of wanting to destroy the 2nd Amendment, which as we know is a thing that would totally happen.

Have you just not seen any of the videos of Biden flying off the handle at people throughout this entire primary cycle? Because there's a lot of them and I can't really imagine how you could miss them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TGLT posted:

You can't talk about how centrism is more strategy than ideology then turn to talking about the centrist belief that anyone honestly gives a poo poo about the deficit or budgets despite all that talk disappearing every time a Republican is president.

Biden is an ideologue. Centrism is an ideology. The guy talking about potentially vetoing M4A even if it hits his desk is not beholden to any actual pragmatic strategy.

pragmatic strategy is having your public stances chosen for you by the oil and pharmaceutical industries duh

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 10, 2020

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Trump admin. response to coronavirus has shed a light on how bad the healthcare system in this country is + nosedived his second-term odds. If there is a debate on Sunday, hopefully Biden can have an Obama-administration-like response ready to ease populace concerns.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Have you just not seen any of the videos of Biden flying off the handle at people throughout this entire primary cycle? Because there's a lot of them and I can't really imagine how you could miss them.

I didn't, that was the whole point of what I just said.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's interesting seeing all these posters making all the same dumb arguments we saw in 2016 flooding back into this thread the moment it began to seem like Biden will probably win the primary.

It is extremely obvious that these people are more personally incensed by "uncooperative leftists" than they are people like Biden.

booseek posted:

Obama literally tried to cut social security, and I can assure you the Democratic base didn't support it any more then than they do now.

It's depressing that opinions like this are likely pretty representative of your average low info Democratic voter. I see this with a bunch of old people too; they perceive any inconvenient fact about Democrats to be a Republican smear and naively trust that Democratic politicians are actually motivated by a desire to win elections, rather than a desire to appease their actual stakeholders.

That's not ironic. It makes perfect sense for someone to think opposing Sanders is bad and opposing Biden is good. Bad things and good things are not the same.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 10, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

booseek posted:

People who say that Biden = Trump, Biden will slash social security, Biden will cave to Republicans are the same people who said Manchin wouldn't vote to impeach Trump. Centrism is much less an ideology than it is a strategy. If the wind blows left -- and it's loving hurricane-ing left -- they will move left. All the centrist talk about budgets and all that is because of the centrist belief that they can get moderates on their side. That's centrist politics. That's how Biden operates.
That is not how Biden has operated at any point during the campaign. Where are you geting this take? His rhetoric has consistently been that "nothing will fundamentally change" and voters to the left of him, which is most of them, need to shut up and do as they're told.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

That's not ironic. It makes perfect sense for someone to think opposing Sanders is bad and opposing Biden is good. Bad things and good things are not the same.

Opposing Trump is good, not opposing Trump is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

booseek posted:

Centrism is much less an ideology than it is a strategy. If the wind blows left -- and it's loving hurricane-ing left -- they will move left. All the centrist talk about budgets and all that is because of the centrist belief that they can get moderates on their side.

ah yes, just like 2008, where we had a progressive, hurricane-winds movement in Obama, who proceeded to poo poo all over his campaign promises and deliver an excruciatingly terrible "moderate" two terms in which we bailed out too-big-to-fail banks with no real repercussions and managed to pass a Republican health care plan that did little of value.

also :hmbol: at biden being the "furthest left president"