Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Excluding a micro SD slot is inexcusable to me. Want it to be limited to 64 gigs fine, but even cheap rear end phones have expandable storage.

It's entirely possible I'm just an outlier, but 64GB of storage had always been more than enough for me. Are you (not you specifically, this is a general "you") installing more large games, or downloading movies/shows to the phone or something? I've just never run into anything where the base configuration was feeling cramped other than a 16GB iPhone on the last year those were available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's entirely possible I'm just an outlier, but 64GB of storage had always been more than enough for me. Are you (not you specifically, this is a general "you") installing more large games, or downloading movies/shows to the phone or something? I've just never run into anything where the base configuration was feeling cramped other than a 16GB iPhone on the last year those were available.

Movies and photos for me. Movies for my kids and extra storage for the UMPTEEN MILLION photos I take of my kids basically.

And honestly I just like the ability to expand if needed for unknown use cases.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I like 128 GB of storage on phones, because I have a large music collection, listen to a lot of podcasts, and frequently get stuck working in areas with no WiFi and spotty cellular data.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BonoMan posted:

Movies and photos for me. Movies for my kids and extra storage for the UMPTEEN MILLION photos I take of my kids basically.

And honestly I just like the ability to expand if needed for unknown use cases.

Don't forget about Google Photos! Photos and videos don't stay on my phone very long.

(you may know all about it and don't want to use it for reasons, but I thought I'd mention it in case you don't)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Eh, with a SD730 that should be totally fine. The 3a was similar.

I mean, again, no one ever complained about having a larger battery, but that's not the end of the world for that device.

Yeah the 3a is still great. My annoyances with my OP7T made me pretty close to buying a used 3a XL for under $200 and recouping $300ish from the swap.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

Don't forget about Google Photos! Photos and videos don't stay on my phone very long.

(you may know all about it and don't want to use it for reasons, but I thought I'd mention it in case you don't)

With both my Pixel and Pixel 2 original quality photos were still chewing up my Drive space. Never got that resolved.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Moey posted:

With both my Pixel and Pixel 2 original quality photos were still chewing up my Drive space. Never got that resolved.

If things don't Just Work, good luck getting any support from Google.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Same.

BonoMan posted:

Ah!

Videos eat up so much data and are one thing I never, ever do. I just don't like going back to watch a video.

(thinking of the hours of videos on my mom's hard drive of her just silently panning over a crowd of people that eat up GBs of data)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

I like 128 GB of storage on phones, because I have a large music collection, listen to a lot of podcasts, and frequently get stuck working in areas with no WiFi and spotty cellular data.
This is pretty much me, moving up to 256Gb from 64Gb was a massive change in user experience.
Being able to dump my whole music library on my phone for the first time in years was liberating.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
did the coronavirus write the thread title

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That was a pre-coronavirus world. We were so innocent then.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I went from a 64GB Pixel3XL to a 256GB Note 10+ with a 512GB card.

I've become a monster.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

That was a pre-coronavirus world. We were so innocent then.

Samsung is the coronavirus. It's all so clear now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I went from a 64GB Pixel3XL to a 256GB Note 10+ with a 512GB card.

I've become a monster.

Ok but what in the name of jesus are you doing with 768gb? I have 63.92 used on my phone, 21 of which is just music

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anime. The answer is always anime.

Anyways I've had my entire music library on my phone for a year but I never touch it unless I can't find one obscure track on Spotify or YouTube. I used to torrent music constantly but Spotify has made it so easy to drop all that nonsense.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

On top of music, locally synced films/media, I feel like most people haven't actually tried recording at 4k60

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I just store movies and music at home and download it whenever I need it. With 5G it's not really that slow. Same as Google photos retrieves it from cloud, really

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyways I've had my entire music library on my phone for a year but I never touch it unless I can't find one obscure track on Spotify or YouTube. I used to torrent music constantly but Spotify has made it so easy to drop all that nonsense.

I am super happy with Google Play Music. I download every album I listen to, so most of my favorites are on my device. I can always stream something I haven't downloaded yet, so I have the rest of my library available.

On my 32 GB device, I would clean up my music downloads every six months or so. With a 64 GB device, I still have 8 GB free.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

codo27 posted:

Ok but what in the name of jesus are you doing with 768gb? I have 63.92 used on my phone, 21 of which is just music

I have kids, so I shoot a lot of 4k and super slow-mo (.8sec at a time). 4k goes to the internal storage by default, but I can shift it to the card to keep things smooth.

Fortunately, no anime. Took care of that by marrying an Asian girl.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/11/leak-suggests-possible-pricing-for-the-pixel-4a/

Starting at 399 it says.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like we'll get a Pixel 4a XL...or maybe the rumor of a 5G XL are true?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What is the real world performance like on a 730 chipset compared to the 8XX line?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Moey posted:

What is the real world performance like on a 730 chipset compared to the 8XX line?

Roughly equivalent to an 835, with better single-core and similar multicore and, improved battery efficiency (smaller fab process iirc), but the GPU won't be as good.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/835-vs-730_8554_11431.247596.0.html

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the GPU is where you are most likely to see a different if you game. Otherwise, real world use likely won't see that much difference and could even be better when comparing to 835 based devices because there would be advances in other places (like storage speed.)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is there a way to turn off the weather from showing on the lockscreen in Android 10? I've got that bug where it always shows the temp in Fahrenheit when you have it set to Celsius, and I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it. I'd rather turn off the weather part entirely and just use a third party notification.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
As a non gamer, I could dabble with a 4aXL.

Bring on the leaks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm still banking on the rumor that there is no XL and the additional codenames are for 5g device variants for one or more carriers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If one of those 5G variants has 128GB, I'll buy it.

Hell, if it's orange, I'll still buy it.

I really want an orange phone, honestly. It kind of outweighs the want of 128GB storage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My pixel 3 just updated and now I have this stupid launcher bar thing when I tap the Overview button (or whatever the Square icon is called?)

Is there a way to disable it in Nova Launcher? I couldn't find a setting for it :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Strange. My P2XL updated this morning and I'm still fine with Nova.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Google :argh:

It's so hard to swipe up to dismiss an app now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will back up the reviewers in saying that the yeah, the S20 Ultra's autofocus is bad bad bad. This is especially true when zooming on midrange subjects. I was sitting back at arms length from my desk, zooming into 8x on things on the desk and snapping pictures.

I chose 8x since that's the max of the Pixel 4xl's hybrid zoom. Everything under 10x for the S20 Ultra should be more optical than crop at that point.

The P4 consistently produced more detailed pictures despite being at an optical disadvantage and that's when I was able to even to get the S20 Ultra to focus at all on the subject.

Granted, this is more of a niche case as I'm sure autofocus factors less as subjects move into the infinity focus range. So, the greater reach of the ultra's camera will produce more detail in those cases. Still though, it will be interesting if this update improves upon that. I'm worried that the small hardware on the handset has inherent limitations on PDAF. I'm guessing the pixels of the 108mp sensor are too small for them to have implemented dual pixel autofocus.

I'm kinda wondering why Samsung didn't augment the PDAF with a laser to help out in certain lighting conditions. Pixel has also used Phase Detection on all their cameras, but they've always been augmented with laser or dual pixel (or both).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Complete opposite experience for me, I loving love the camera. Like I just took a photo of some medication so I wouldn't forget the name and was amazed by the detail and bokeh effect.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not sure how common it is now, my last phone was an s8+, but I was blown away by the audio quality on videos. I recorded a 15min chunk of a Kamasi Washington concert last Friday, and it sounded phenomenal. Any other concert recording I've done over the years has been a muddy mess, so was very pleasantly surprised by that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh no you're one of those people :chloe:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sab669 posted:

My pixel 3 just updated and now I have this stupid launcher bar thing when I tap the Overview button (or whatever the Square icon is called?)

Is there a way to disable it in Nova Launcher? I couldn't find a setting for it :(

I had this same problem. You have to turn off nova launcher (go to the default pixel launcher), long press on an empty part of the home screen, go to settings -> suggestions then untoggle Apps in overview & top of all apps list

It still sometimes does it when I first turn on the phone for a seemingly random amount of time but eventually it goes back to normal

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Not sure how common it is now, my last phone was an s8+, but I was blown away by the audio quality on videos. I recorded a 15min chunk of a Kamasi Washington concert last Friday, and it sounded phenomenal. Any other concert recording I've done over the years has been a muddy mess, so was very pleasantly surprised by that.

this has nothing to do with phones but i was at the detroit show last monday and it was great!

i uhh recorded some with a note 10+ because that's what i had at the time, i dunno the video was fine. now it's phone related.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I had this same problem. You have to turn off nova launcher (go to the default pixel launcher), long press on an empty part of the home screen, go to settings -> suggestions then untoggle Apps in overview & top of all apps list

It still sometimes does it when I first turn on the phone for a seemingly random amount of time but eventually it goes back to normal

Hell yea, thanks for this.

The weird part is that I can switch to the default Pixel launcher from that overview screen and turn off the setting you described, then pressing Home takes me back to my Nova launcher. But yea that didn't fix it until I actively disabled the Nova Launcher.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MobileSyrup/status/1237833874538971136?s=19

Corona is infecting our Android bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Oh no you're one of those people :chloe:

Haha, not usually, but I was front row balcony and was able to hold it at waist level so nobody behind me could even see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVB7wtmIqPM

sleepwalkers posted:

this has nothing to do with phones but i was at the detroit show last monday and it was great!

i uhh recorded some with a note 10+ because that's what i had at the time, i dunno the video was fine. now it's phone related.

:hfive: