Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just happened to start watching DS9 again and it's great:
1. Sisko hates Picard so loving much and Picard is bitchy about it.
2. Dax was a transgender metaphor that flew way the gently caress over my head as a kid
3. Bashir is (retroactively) pretending to be an idiot
4. Kieko is just the goddamn worst.

Either that or Bashir is flirting with a 400 year old person like they're a 23 year old woman and guess what that stuff doesn't work. Horndawg Bashir gets toned way TF down by season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Pretty fun to think of 20 year old Sisko and 70 year old Curson Dax rolling around raising hell and slaying alien babes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pretty fun to think of 20 year old Sisko and 70 year old Curson Dax rolling around raising hell and slaying alien babes.

Dax tells one of the Jem'Hadar she stopped counting her age at 300

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dietrich posted:

Either that or Bashir is flirting with a 400 year old person like they're a 23 year old woman and guess what that stuff doesn't work. Horndawg Bashir gets toned way TF down by season 2.
To go to my DS9 bete noir, Bashir doesn't get toned down, he just starts trawling for sex amongst his patients, which is icky as poo poo and much worse than hitting on random passers-by

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Dax tells one of the Jem'Hadar she stopped counting her age at 300

Dax can get it at any age. I'm talking about young Sisko and Bad Grandpa Curzon doing a Statute of Liberty with an Orion hooker.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apropos of nothing, my current out-there theory after watching the early stuff with soji and the Romulan archeologist: thousands of years ago, the Romulans used experimental bullshit and proto-vulcan-psychic-powers to sneak a look at their future. They glimpsed the end of their race and organic life, and the Zhat Vash was formed to carry what they saw down through the ages and prevent it from happening by any means necessary.

The Borg cube submatrix collapse was because they assimilated archeologist lady and protective protocols went 'poo poo NON-CONTROLLED CROSS-TEMPORAL INFORMATION CONTAMINATION' and quarantined the cube because the Borg are smart enough to be very careful with time poo poo.

(Or, alternatively, future synth nanites spilled into the past during the foresight experiment and that's where the Borg come from, so that caused some problems)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 10, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Apropos of nothing, my current out-there theory after watching the early stuff with soji and the Romulan archeologist: thousands of years ago, the Romulans used experimental bullshit and proto-vulcan-psychic-powers to sneak a look at their future. They glimpsed the end of their race and organic life, and the Zhat Vash was formed to carry what they saw down through the ages and prevent it from happening by any means necessary.

The Borg cube submatrix collapse was because they assimilated archeologist lady and protective protocols went 'poo poo NON-CONTROLLED CROSS-TEMPORAL INFORMATION CONTAMINATION' and quarantined the cube because the Borg are smart enough to be very careful with time poo poo.

(Or, alternatively, future synth nanites spilled into the past during the foresight experiment and that's where the Borg come from, so that caused some problems)

Right, so Picard just needs to give a Picard speech explaining that Discovery averted that future by stopping Control. That knowledge could be buried in his memory somewhere from when he mind melded with :spock:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

I think that is probably the most spot on theory so far.

BTW, there was some throwaway line a couple episodes ago on the cube where an announcement came over the intercom saying "Alert: Chronometric activity detected in ____ sector" or something like that. Could have just been a little easter egg but also could be a little hint maybe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think that is probably the most spot on theory so far.

BTW, there was some throwaway line a couple episodes ago on the cube where an announcement came over the intercom saying "Alert: Chronometric activity detected in ____ sector" or something like that. Could have just been a little easter egg but also could be a little hint maybe.

I caught that too. I thought at first it was a fun little gag, because the last time “chronometric particles” were mentioned was in First Contact when the Borg sphere went back in time. But yeah, if it’s foreshadowing for something, I can see that too. Especially since the wording of one of Picard’s lines in one of the trailers for the show kind of maybe seemed to imply that they were going to use time travel to fix certain poo poo, which is still a real possibility in the next three episodes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MikeJF posted:

Counterpoint: First Contact pointed out that the Borg have no problem casually loving with the past.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the first instance of time travel in the franchise? Surely not IV

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

zoux posted:

What's the first instance of time travel in the franchise? Surely not IV

There were plenty of time travel episodes in TOS, 1 where the Enterprise literally just traveled back in time to watch 1960s America for shits and giggles.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

2. Dax was a transgender metaphor that flew way the gently caress over my head as a kid
3. Bashir is (retroactively) pretending to be an idiot
4. Kieko is just the goddamn worst.

2) I've been watching it through recently as well and I hadn't really framed it that way yet but now that I've heard it, duh!

3) I'm usually on her side against the Obrien but there was one early one where I was like "aww, come on lady."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pik_d posted:

There were plenty of time travel episodes in TOS, 1 where the Enterprise literally just traveled back in time to watch 1960s America for shits and giggles.

Oh I thought those were all planets who parallely developed into Nazi and Gangster Planets

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

zoux posted:

Oh I thought those were all planets who parallely developed into Nazi and Gangster Planets

In "Assignment: Earth" they literally traveled back in time to 1968 (air date) to observe things that I guess weren't recorded historically. There were other episodes where the Enterprise was actually forced back into the past "Tomorrow is Yesterday" or they used the Guardian of Forever to travel back as well in "City on the Edge of Forever".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pik_d posted:

In "Assignment: Earth" they literally traveled back in time to 1968 (air date) to observe things that I guess weren't recorded historically. There were other episodes where the Enterprise was actually forced back into the past "Tomorrow is Yesterday" or they used the Guardian of Forever to travel back as well in "City on the Edge of Forever".

Which one of those was the Gary Seven backdoor pilot?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

zoux posted:

Which one of those was the Gary Seven backdoor pilot?

Assignment: Earth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheCenturion posted:

Counterpoint: First Contact pointed out that the Borg have no problem casually loving with the past.

Maybe for version control they don't care about going to the past, but they care about things from the future. If they come across another borg ship that is running a different version of BorgOS, they compare versions and the dates those versions were compiled. Then it's a simple vote of all borgs present. If a majority of borgs agree that it is is a certain date and the most recent version of the software is a certain version, then all drones on the older version upgrade, and all drones on the newer version are downgraded or destroyed in order to maintain temporal continuity. That way the borgs that were found on Earth in Enterprise that were left over from First Contact could start heading for the delta quadrant and send off a signal, but the borgs of the time determine that these borgs are from the future and must be ignored to not break time. Which is why the borg don't immediately head for Earth centuries earlier than they originally did.

It could lead to a cool story where someone decides to get a whole bunch of old borgs from history to follow them through a wormhole to the future. Enough of them that they can assert that the time that they came from is the current time and start attacking modern borg for clearly being from the future. It wouldn't end the borg, but it would give everyone a more primitive enemy to fight that has technology from hundreds of years eariler.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pik_d posted:

Correct. "Tomorrow Is Yesterday," which came about two-thirds of the way through the first season, is also the first time the slingshot maneuver was used.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the big reveal is going to come from the writers trying to be clever with Roman mythology. The importance of Mars and the androids being twins seems like too much of a reference to the mythical Romulus and Remus.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Naked Time (4th episode released, 7th produced) had written in pointless time travel.

The ship is thrown back in time 3 days for no plot reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Time

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Worst prediction --> Androids blew up the Romulan sun.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CaptainSkinny posted:

Hell yeah!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaptainSkinny posted:

I mean, in Star Trek Online it was the Iconians, so at this point it wouldn't surprise me.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

xerxus posted:

The Naked Time (4th episode released, 7th produced) had written in pointless time travel.

The ship is thrown back in time 3 days for no plot reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Time

IIRC that was originally intended to lead into the aforementioned 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', but for some reason it didn't.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing I didn't know I needed until reading about time travel on this page is: a Trials and Tribbleations style episode in which Picard has to go back to the Ent-D to accomplish something, hell, maybe even to grab past Hugh or Locutus. Maybe in season 2 when they've hopefully wrapped up this dire Romulan sibling poo poo and moved on to a lower stakes seasonal arc with a little more fun allowed.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

To go to my DS9 bete noir, Bashir doesn't get toned down, he just starts trawling for sex amongst his patients, which is icky as poo poo and much worse than hitting on random passers-by

Would removing the profit motive from medicine affect how we view doctor-patient relationships?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think I'd ever looked at the doctor-patient relationship to be "bad" in the same way as like between the hierarchy of a business. My instinct would be more like worker-customer, inappropriate to be asking someone out while they're at work and have a certain obligation of how to treat you since they're working, but if y'all happen to meet naturally in another setting it wouldn't be horrible? I'm not very familiar with doctor-patient relationships though, and I wonder if this would extend to nurses and all other healthcare workers? Seems like the power of "haha I know you have the butt disease jinjovitus" or "you rejected me so I'm refusing you treatment" fall more under "evil doctor breaking oath" more than leveraging a relationship power imbalance.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's mostly a combination of power dynamics, access to privileged health information, and the difficulty of providing ethical and dispassionate care to a romantic partner.

In theory, you should be able to talk with your doctor about anything without reservation. There's a potential conflict of interest there if your doctor is your lover. Not just for obvious stuff like STIs, but e.g. evaluation for depression. It's not fair (or wise) to lay the diagnosis and maintenance of your condition on your partner nor for them to take it up.

e: it fits under power dynamics but to be explicit we see Bashir pursue women who have previously been unable to have romantic relationships because of their medical conditions -- the very ones he's remedied, and then immediately swooped in. They are vulnerable and exploited. Thee two that come to mind immediately are Melora and Serina, but I know there are others that I'm not remembering.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 11, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Put that way it makes sense, those cases in particular seem obviously sleezy. My main experience with doctors is "mumbling scribbler" who comes in after the nurses did work, but also leaves you hanging with your buttcheeks out for 25 minutes, then a nurse comes in and finishes whatever work there is.

It also does seem like a very bad idea to have your partner be your doctor, in general. Ugh, just the notion of your partner in general coming at you with Medical Advice is kind of annoying regardless of the advice's potential effectiveness. If you date your doc, deffo find a new one, right? (logistically I realize that's not an actual option too many cases)

Now that I'm thinking about this power dynamic as an issue, what the heck is up with Grey's Anatomy? I saw the first few seasons back in the day and like half the plots were one of the doctors falling in love with some patient who was definitely going to die.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

DrNutt posted:

One thing I didn't know I needed until reading about time travel on this page is: a Trials and Tribbleations style episode in which Picard has to go back to the Ent-D to accomplish something, hell, maybe even to grab past Hugh or Locutus. Maybe in season 2 when they've hopefully wrapped up this dire Romulan sibling poo poo and moved on to a lower stakes seasonal arc with a little more fun allowed.

drat now I want this!

We all want that cast back together, just make it happen in season 2. Come up with the most bullshit reason to get them on a galaxy class. Maybe they have a reunion on a holodeck set to the Enterprise D and UNBELIEVABLY the holodeck malfunctions. Just PLEASE make this happen, Riker and Troi showing up has been the best part so far, it was sooo good to see them again. I loving love Riker

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A video I watched pointed out that parts of Commander Oh's mind-meld vision looked extremely similar to Spock's vision in Discovery Season 2 where he sees Control destroying all life in the galaxy.

Do what you will with this information.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Comrade Fakename posted:

A video I watched pointed out that parts of Commander Oh's mind-meld vision looked extremely similar to Spock's vision in Discovery Season 2 where he sees Control destroying all life in the galaxy.

Do what you will with this information.

Was this... not blatantly obvious to anyone else upon first watching? :confused:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

News to me, but I try to actively forget as much about Discovery as I can.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Would removing the profit motive from medicine affect how we view doctor-patient relationships?

Nah medicine is free at the point of use where I am, and it’s still very very bad for Doctors to sleep with their patients. Career ruining stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do. Not. Date. Anyone. With. A. Job.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

marktheando posted:

Nah medicine is free at the point of use where I am, and it’s still very very bad for Doctors to sleep with their patients. Career ruining stuff.

I can't believe this is a conversation that is happening.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Drone posted:

Was this... not blatantly obvious to anyone else upon first watching? :confused:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they're just reusing the footage for the mind meld.

Or we'll have a crossover episode where Burnham travels back in time to help Picard convince the Romulans that they averted that timeline. :geno:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Or we'll have a crossover episode where Burnham travels back in time to help Picard convince the Romulans that they averted that timeline. :geno:

2020 proves once again that it's worse than 2019 (which was worse than 2018 which was worse than 2017 which was worse than 2016...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I mean, if the vision is just a vague "AI will destroy all life in the galaxy one day," they can hint at it being Control without necessarily connecting the dots as a crossover. Leave it to the viewer if they want to interpret it that way.

Honestly, I don't know why people hated the Control plotline anyway (outside of it being derivative). I thought it was kind of cool.