Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
"non-simulation football game experiences . . ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

hell yeah give me all the Todd Bonzalez-es I can handle

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Play posted:

NFL2K Blitz!

2Kmo Super Bowl?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/status/1237453921498456065?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dolphins one seems obvious.

I doubt we're getting 15 minute overtimes back and even though it makes internal sense considering everything else I hope they won't expand replay. I guess this would also apply to the 8th ref in the booth even though that seems like the best way to run things to me. Don't even know the purpose of a technology advisor unless the refs are too stupid to actually use their tablets.

4th and 15 or some version of that instead of onside kicks should absolutely go through, but given the NFL it probably won't.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

Oh good so they can keep making Madden then.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

So the browns and bears can win?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Elephanthead posted:

So the browns and bears can win?

No, that would be non-Euclidean football game experiences

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

The onside kick one would be so fantastic.

They wont do it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Silly Burrito posted:

NFL2K Blitz!

2Kmo Super Bowl?

There was a Baby Blitz that came out for Xbox Arcade like a decade ago and I played the poo poo outta that. I would die happy with an updated Blitz.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Athanatos posted:

The onside kick one would be so fantastic.

They wont do it.

Of course not.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Grittybeard posted:

Dolphins one seems obvious.

I doubt we're getting 15 minute overtimes back and even though it makes internal sense considering everything else I hope they won't expand replay. I guess this would also apply to the 8th ref in the booth even though that seems like the best way to run things to me. Don't even know the purpose of a technology advisor unless the refs are too stupid to actually use their tablets.

4th and 15 or some version of that instead of onside kicks should absolutely go through, but given the NFL it probably won't.

The Ravens/Chargers proposals are the best ones because the refs are absolutely that stupid.

It's arbitrary but I'd like the alternative onside kick rule a lot better if it were 20 yards instead of 15.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1237482123910623233

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't remember seeing that many 3rd rounders before.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My best guess for the 3rd round comp picks:

97 - Honey Badger
98 - Trey Flowers
99 - Landon Collins
100 - Trent Brown
101 - Earl Thomas
102 - LeVeon Bell
103 - Golden Tate
104 - Lamarcus Joyner
105 - Sheldon Richardson?
106 - CJ Mosley / Za'Darius Smith

I'm probably really wrong about something and someone should go through all the Rams / Chiefs signings, because I think they have the most comp picks lost due to signing guys.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 10, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So um it’s looking like the market for Brady isn’t as robust as it was once hyped to be.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

My best guess for the 3rd round comp picks:

97 - Kareem Jackson?

I'm probably really wrong about something and someone should go through all the Rams / Chiefs signings, because I think they have the most comp picks lost due to signing guys.

Was honey badger a trade?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Nope, that makes more sense.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's Mosely for the Ravens 3rd and John Brown for the 4th. Zadarius Smith got wiped out by Earl Thomas. Otherwise I'd guess Smith would count far higher than last of the 3rd rounders.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Free agent if you mean with the Chiefs. So yeah he should be in there somewhere for the Texans. He can't be the very top spot though can he? I mean 3 years 42 million is a bunch but not a bunch in free agent money is it?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh good so they can keep making Madden then.

I just don't even know what that sentence is supposed to be. First of all it's intimating that Madden is a simulation which.... sure buddy. I know it's got a "simulation" mode and an "arcade" mode but that doesn't mean it's an actual simulation.

Second of all what is a "football game experience"? Is that the same thing as a football video game or is it different? Is it like.... football related minigames or something? A mobile card game with packs you can buy (that would be very NFL you have to admit)? A VR experience or some poo poo?

Spoeank posted:

There was a Baby Blitz that came out for Xbox Arcade like a decade ago and I played the poo poo outta that. I would die happy with an updated Blitz.

I suppose Blitz would make sense, it certainly goes out of its way to not be a simulation.

Honestly I feel like they should just.... make Madden good, instead of poo poo. Ya know? They've done it in the past yet each year it's worse just MAKE IT GOOD, give it to another developer if you have to.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 10, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

Don't even know the purpose of a technology advisor unless the refs are too stupid to actually use their tablets.

Refs are all boomers and retirees. Yes there needs to be someone who isn't confounded by a touch screen on hand.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Play posted:

Honestly I feel like they should just.... make Madden good, instead of poo poo. Ya know? They've done it in the past yet each year it's worse just MAKE IT GOOD, give it to another developer if you have to.

What incentive did they have while they were the only game in town? You want to play with this year’s roster? Plunk down another $60 and like it. Millions did so they didn’t care.

Hopefully 2K prods them in the rear end again.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

What incentive did they have while they were the only game in town?

Pride in their work, maybe?

okay please stop laughing i was being serious

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Refs are all boomers and retirees. Yes there needs to be someone who isn't confounded by a touch screen on hand.

Aren’t a bunch of them attorneys in the off-season? Lawyers are terrible luddites convinced of their superiority so yeah I can absolutely believe a bunch of them have no idea how to use the tech and refuse to accept instruction on it :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

I just don't even know what that sentence is supposed to be. First of all it's intimating that Madden is a simulation which.... sure buddy. I know it's got a "simulation" mode and an "arcade" mode but that doesn't mean it's an actual simulation.

That was actually implying that madden is not a simulation. Because, you know, it isn't.

You're talking to somebody who put hundreds of hours in Silent Hunter, I have a pretty specific idea of what a simulation is and isn't.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Madden was good this year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

Madden was good this year

Until the first patch

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
But before that patch it was the best madden ever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

That was actually implying that madden is not a simulation. Because, you know, it isn't.

You're talking to somebody who put hundreds of hours in Silent Hunter, I have a pretty specific idea of what a simulation is and isn't.

Oh I thought they were saying that these games would be DIFFERENT from Madden because they weren't simulations, maybe I read that incorrectly. The only simulation games I really play are racing games so it's kind of hard to picture what a football simulation would actually be unless it was something like Out of the Park Baseball which is more of a management simulator

Whatever, more football video games is a good thing and a monkeys paw definitely didn't just curl

Metapod posted:

But before that patch it was the best madden ever

I mean, I thought it was a pretty fun game (albeit not significantly more fun than '19). But the Ultimate Team stuff with all its predatory sales tactics for children is gross, and when you go back to Madden games released in 2006 (I think that's the one people talk about a lot) you see that they had deeper mechanics and more features than modern ones. A lot of the game just looks and feels lazy as hell. Franchise mode is boring and lacks tons of features that it used to have. Face of the franchise is a joke as far as a single player campaign goes. Certain things are absurdly overpowered and others don't matter at all.

The only thing that's gotten consistently better is the graphics and animations, and you only need to look at a player's face to realize that they haven't gotten THAT much better.

The gameplay is still pretty solid, but it should be given that they've had decades to polish it. I'm hoping someone can do better

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I just realized how hosed up reading "NFL 2K21" looks to me. We haven't had a 2K football game since we were in single digit years. God dang

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Madden Ultimate Team "insert year" is bad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Madden Ultimate Team "insert year" is bad

Not for EA shareholders!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Just play Retro Bowl on your phones, or Tecmo III on an SNES emulator.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ah I see the issue yall have no one to play madden with. The gameplay this year was beautiful

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

fartknocker posted:

After a perfect 19-0 season, I traded away my QB and RB and did a rebuild, then the next season with my new QB went 11-5 and missed the playoffs. Two games into the new season I traded my QB and signed a four-star free agent who proceeded to throw eight picks against a garbage Raiders team.

Retro Bowl owns.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mega64 posted:

After a perfect 19-0 season, I traded away my QB and RB and did a rebuild, then the next season with my new QB went 11-5 and missed the playoffs. Two games into the new season I traded my QB and signed a four-star free agent who proceeded to throw eight picks against a garbage Raiders team.

Retro Bowl owns.

Any season can be 19-0 if you quit the game right at the end if you’re losing. Just saying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My favorite Madden memory is playing Madden 2005 and winning the Super Bowl with the Pats in Franchise Mode and EVERY TIME NE Coach (because Belichick isn’t in any of the games because of some Union things) would retire on me saying they’ve had enough of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

fartknocker posted:

Mega64 posted:

Retro Bowl owns.

Yep. I have spent entirely too much of my life already playing this drat game