Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This was a reason I quit when it moved from AEG. The people designing the game were idiots and any talk of that kind on the Facebook group got the old school "this isn't Magic" attitude. Like, who needs good formatting, game design and balance when you've got story and flavor?

Also anyone that wants to buy some LotR can chat me up. I have everything up to and including The Black Riders box: two cores, three cycles, and however many deluxes were from that time along with a few of the challenge decks and at least one playmat. 80% of it is unplayed and has just been sitting in a sleeve for 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
I’ve PMed you!

Along those lines, if anyone (preferably located in the US) is looking to get rid of their AH LCG collection and sell them to a loving home, please let me know!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I have a complete LotR LCG collection, minus the nightmare decks. If anyone wants it, better marry into my family because this poo poo is going in my will.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Foehammer posted:

I have a complete LotR LCG collection, minus the nightmare decks. If anyone wants it, better marry into my family because this poo poo is going in my will.

How you doin'?

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
All this talk about the game being done or on hiatus or whatever has made me want to catch up on buying stuff. Just spent way way too much money on the last few deluxe sets, saga sets, and drat adventure packs, good grief. I think I'm now at having very nearly everything other than the most recent few nightmare sets (like I'll ever be able to beat them) and the fate of wilderland which seems out of stock everywhere of course.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

My LOTR stuff that I can find:

2x Core (might actually be 3... I have a LOT of dupes)

The Watcher in the Water
Shadow and Flame
Foundations of Stone
The Long Dark
The Hunt for Gollum
Conflict at the Carrock
A Journey to Rhosgobel
The Hills of Emyn Muil
The Dead Marshes
Return to Mirkwood

Khazad-Dum
Heirs of Numenor

All in two physical core boxes with good quality organisers inserted and organised with a ton of sleeving.

Thinking about it that probably means I wanna have a go at selling it as one big thing rather splitting it up... hmmm...

Christ only knows where my Hobbit cycle stuff is. I have 3? boxes of that somewhere. Bugger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has the Thor deck for Champions officially shipped?

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yes, I pre-ordered thru FFG and got a shipping notice last week. Should arrive Monday for me

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah if you check their website under upcoming they show what’s shipping and what’s in production and Thor is now shipping. Retail stores should have/be able to sell on the 6th.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I was just looking into this genre of games and considering Champions a good starting point. It kinda sucks that everything is sold out everywhere, I wanted to try Cap and get some Leadership cards. I’m not even sure my LGS will get Thor, their distributor has 0 stock apparently.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Losem posted:

Hit me up in Discord I've got an extra Cap and Ms. Marvel.

If you still have these, I am interested

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Ms. Marvel is still available but not Cap. The clam shell is opened but the cards are still shrink wrapped.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Losem posted:

Ms. Marvel is still available but not Cap. The clam shell is opened but the cards are still shrink wrapped.

that works. what's the best way to reach you to arrange?

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

omnibobb posted:

that works. what's the best way to reach you to arrange?

Discord is probably best/easiest.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Losem posted:

Discord is probably best/easiest.

I don't think I'm cool enough to be in there. Can you drop a link please?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
https://discord.gg/R35JWy4

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So maybe we get more Ashes content after all?

https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/plaid-hat-announces-summoner-wars-second-edition

quote:

Dauch added that Summoner Wars: Second Edition would serve as a test run for ideas that, if successful, could lead to the revival of Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

That's pretty cool. I remember Colby sent some promos out here to serve as prizes for tournaments because I emailed him ten years ago asking about event kits. Summoner Wars was a great game, it unfortunately came right before we all fell into Netrunner then the other CCGs. Though I did burn myself out on Summoner Wars via the iPad app that made me realize how much I dislike dice games.

That said though, Ashes was pretty good as well, although it didn't have as large a local following as Summoner Wars. I think my Summoner Wars collection is complete except that Alliances box set so I should probably grab that at some point. I think I only picked up the first 2 extra leaders of Ashes though because they had a really long delay on getting and announcing new expansions for that game. Seemed like the company was going to be better off when Asmodee picked them up but alas.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm looking forward to Summoner Wars 2, even as I lament the obsoletion of my complete 1e.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Got the last Thor deck at the FLGS tonight. :toot:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

That's pretty cool. I remember Colby sent some promos out here to serve as prizes for tournaments because I emailed him ten years ago asking about event kits. Summoner Wars was a great game, it unfortunately came right before we all fell into Netrunner then the other CCGs. Though I did burn myself out on Summoner Wars via the iPad app that made me realize how much I dislike dice games.

That said though, Ashes was pretty good as well, although it didn't have as large a local following as Summoner Wars. I think my Summoner Wars collection is complete except that Alliances box set so I should probably grab that at some point. I think I only picked up the first 2 extra leaders of Ashes though because they had a really long delay on getting and announcing new expansions for that game. Seemed like the company was going to be better off when Asmodee picked them up but alas.

This was my experience too. Ashes was cool, we had a pretty decent scene through the first couple expansions, and then stuff just... stopped coming out and people stopped playing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Has anyone tried using Thor solo? My friend had to cancel tonight so I decided to see how he would stack up solo against Rhino and I went 0-3. My opinion is that Thor aggression will be a great deck paired with a leadership or justice hero, but on its own it’s an absolute nightmare trying to mitigate threat. He takes a bit to build up, and by the time he’s really running the game is so far behind you can’t keep up. The problem is that his card that really helps against thwart, makes you discard cards from the villain deck until you hit a minion. So if you need to thwart bad you play it and “oops, there wasn’t a minion for almost 10 cards” so you cycle the villain deck incredibly fast. I was getting 3 threat a round my last try against him. Then if you take enough damage that you have to flip? Good luck clawing out of that hole.

Maybe against a deck that has a bit more minions in play (Klaw or Ultros) he’ll fair better, but I think Thor is going to be amazing multiplayer and just “meh” solo. The games helped me tweak his deck a bit so I think when I play with my friend monday I’ll be able to do a ton of damage.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Summoner Wars got me into this hobby. When it ended, I started designing my own revised version where the event phase is gone and the dice are replaced with 18 faction specific cards numbered 1-6.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!
Due to an online order error, I ended up with an extra Thor pack if anyone wants it. I would just be looking for $15, plus whatever shipping costs. Also happy to hand it off in person if in the NYC area.

PM if interested!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Black Stones posted:

Has anyone tried using Thor solo? My friend had to cancel tonight so I decided to see how he would stack up solo against Rhino and I went 0-3. My opinion is that Thor aggression will be a great deck paired with a leadership or justice hero, but on its own it’s an absolute nightmare trying to mitigate threat. He takes a bit to build up, and by the time he’s really running the game is so far behind you can’t keep up. The problem is that his card that really helps against thwart, makes you discard cards from the villain deck until you hit a minion. So if you need to thwart bad you play it and “oops, there wasn’t a minion for almost 10 cards” so you cycle the villain deck incredibly fast. I was getting 3 threat a round my last try against him. Then if you take enough damage that you have to flip? Good luck clawing out of that hole.

Maybe against a deck that has a bit more minions in play (Klaw or Ultros) he’ll fair better, but I think Thor is going to be amazing multiplayer and just “meh” solo. The games helped me tweak his deck a bit so I think when I play with my friend monday I’ll be able to do a ton of damage.

Were you using the premade deck? I tried it out of curiosity after reading your post and mostly agree. The Thor premade deck isn't great, it's too damage and minion fighting focused. Rhino is a particularly bad matchup because of the low density of minions and very low threat treshold for losing. I was able to win but I suspect it mainly came down to getting Asgard on the opening hand, a slower/unluckier draw would have easily lost me the game.

That said the deck does have Lady Sif and Heimdall who are both excellent thwarting allies. A custom Thor Aggresion deck can probably do reasonably well in solo by dropping some of the extremely minion focused cards like Hercules, Hall of Heroes and Battle Fury in favor of some better generalist cards. I'd bring in Nick, Mockingbird, Helicarrier and maybe some First Aids to keep your thwarting allies going.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ojetor posted:

Were you using the premade deck? I tried it out of curiosity after reading your post and mostly agree. The Thor premade deck isn't great, it's too damage and minion fighting focused. Rhino is a particularly bad matchup because of the low density of minions and very low threat treshold for losing. I was able to win but I suspect it mainly came down to getting Asgard on the opening hand, a slower/unluckier draw would have easily lost me the game.

That said the deck does have Lady Sif and Heimdall who are both excellent thwarting allies. A custom Thor Aggresion deck can probably do reasonably well in solo by dropping some of the extremely minion focused cards like Hercules, Hall of Heroes and Battle Fury in favor of some better generalist cards. I'd bring in Nick, Mockingbird, Helicarrier and maybe some First Aids to keep your thwarting allies going.

No. I changed some stuff out, bringing in Nick and Mockingbird, and doing some other small changes.

Looking online on other forums it seems people are of the same opinion that his aggression deck is poo poo solo and way more suited for team play. I’m going to wait to play him again until Monday with my friend.

Edit: so I tried one more small tweak and took out Hercules and replaced him with Tigra from my Miss Marvel aggression deck. My reasoning was that with Hall of Heroes I’m focused on killing minions so quick that Hercules never takes advantage of that ability. So now I have Tigra, Lady Sif, Nick Fury, Mockingbird, and Heimdallr in my deck.

I went ahead and tried fighting against Rhino and won! Some things definitely went in my favour, like getting the 2 resource generating cards at the right moment, and being able to fish for Asgard right away with For Asgard. Loki came out almost right away as well so I was able to deal with the side scheme easily. Also one thing that helped was I read on either fantasy flights forum or BGG that defender of the nine realms doesn’t trigger the when revealed ability of minions cause they just get put into play, checking the rule book I see in the put into play section “A card that has been put into play is not consider to have been played”

With that clarification and deck changes I had a pretty solid win.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 8, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've played Marvel Champions about 4 times now, and when it goes well I really like it. When it doesn't it feels oppressive. Having a villain gain 10 scheme counters in a turn when we fail at 12 just does not feel right.

Question that I can't seem to find in the two rulebooks: What happens when the villain's deck runs out of cards? For the players, it is play the top card of the villain deck iirc. Not sure about the villain deck.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Here's the rule - basically an acceleration token added to the main scheme, so threat starts building faster the longer the game goes

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Marvel Champions has really good timing clocks. It doesn't feel artificial (the game ends after N turns), but the game can't go on forever. I like it a lot.

The balance isn't quite there yet, but I hope they do get there. Specifically, it's rough at 1 v 4 players. On the one hand, you have 1-player Rhino possibly OTKs, and on the other, you've got 4-player Wrecking Crew or Risky Business, where you can't lose the game unless you're not paying attention, even with novices.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just saw the Hulk announcement for Marvel Champions. Looks interesting, he will play way differently than She-Hulk. Rather than wanting to switch between Hero/alter-ego every turn Hulk wants to switch to Hulk and bet the villain down before he dies, likely never switching back. Is it just me or the Hulk's penalty (discard your hand at the end every turn) not that much of a penalty? I usually try to use my entire hand every turn.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is some strategy in holding cards for future turns but it is usually wildly inefficient to do so. Might not be that much of a hindrance.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

Marvel Champions has really good timing clocks. It doesn't feel artificial (the game ends after N turns), but the game can't go on forever. I like it a lot.

The balance isn't quite there yet, but I hope they do get there. Specifically, it's rough at 1 v 4 players. On the one hand, you have 1-player Rhino possibly OTKs, and on the other, you've got 4-player Wrecking Crew or Risky Business, where you can't lose the game unless you're not paying attention, even with novices.

Caleb Grace never quite got the handle on this in his 7-8 years working on LOTR so it'll probably still be present in some form in Marvel. Especially since they kept things like Surge.

That said later cycles were much better for "per player" effects, instead of "do (A) if you have 1 or 2 players, do (B) if you have 3 or 4" which to this day I don't understand the logic behind.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Had a rules question, can you attack for no damage? I.e., can Captain Marvel drop an Energy Channel and then trigger it with no tokens to burn off a Stunned card?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Fritzler posted:

Just saw the Hulk announcement for Marvel Champions. Looks interesting, he will play way differently than She-Hulk. Rather than wanting to switch between Hero/alter-ego every turn Hulk wants to switch to Hulk and bet the villain down before he dies, likely never switching back. Is it just me or the Hulk's penalty (discard your hand at the end every turn) not that much of a penalty? I usually try to use my entire hand every turn.

Couple set up turns as Banner, switch to Hulk and stay there, build aggressive healing Defense deck so you don't have to recover. Sounds fun!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I managed to get Thor to the table for a 2 player match and he was way way better for it. Having someone that could pick up the slack thwarting meant I could sometimes slow down a little on getting my full setup going so I could fry minions.

We played Mutagenic Nightmare Green Goblin and while thing got rough sometimes (those extra encounters hurt when he goes to next phase) Thor was incredible at minion removal which could help thwarting as well. I was able to grab a high HP minion from my friend and then lightning strike to kill four minions in front of me, and with Hall of Heroes out I got some insane card draw near the end. So yeah, Thor aggression works great multi, but you’ll have an uphill battle solo and I’d recommend pairing him up with Justice or Leadership for solo play if that’s what you mainly do.

smug jeebus posted:

Had a rules question, can you attack for no damage? I.e., can Captain Marvel drop an Energy Channel and then trigger it with no tokens to burn off a Stunned card?

I would say no. If you’re attacking for 0 it’s the same as not actually doing an attack. You would need at least be putting forward one point of damage for it to go through. I can’t find any clarification on that though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's next on the release schedule for Champions? The most of the last few reveals have been heroes. I'ma need someone tough to fight with all these new decks.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SettingSun posted:

What's next on the release schedule for Champions? The most of the last few reveals have been heroes. I'ma need someone tough to fight with all these new decks.

Next 3 months are heroes. Thor came out this month. April will be Black Widow, May is Dr.Strange, and June is Hulk.

However, in April we will have a preview of the upcoming story box, which is suggested to have 2 or 3 heroes and 5 new villains.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What's Thor's best Aspect, other than Aggression?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

What's Thor's best Aspect, other than Aggression?

Haven’t tried playing him with anything else as I haven’t felt like it. I’d say Leadership might be really good as he can then get low cost minions out to help prevent him from eating damage and help on thwart.

Justice would be really good if you want to feed him energy slots for Lightning Strike.

Defence is probably the one that I wouldn’t ever pair him up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

The Black Stones posted:

Next 3 months are heroes. Thor came out this month. April will be Black Widow, May is Dr.Strange, and June is Hulk.

However, in April we will have a preview of the upcoming story box, which is suggested to have 2 or 3 heroes and 5 new villains.

GAMA Trade Show today - Rise of Red Skull. Spiderwoman, Hawkeye, Red Skull and (maybe?) Arnim Zola on the box art