Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Random Integer posted:

Aside from means testing for free school meals being hopelessly inefficient, expensive and putting a massive barrier in front of people who need help (as all means testing does) its amazing how anyone even remotely involved in education could fail to see that it would automatically stigmatise any kids who do actually qualify. What world do they live in where singling out some kids as needing benefits wouldnt be prime bully fuel?
Why do libs and Blairists love means testing so much?

e: You must earn less than £46 per day to answer this question, I will be sending mans round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Some kids at one of the colleges in my home town (Shrewsbury, fact fans) returned from a college-organised skiing trip to Northern Italy on Sunday.

They were in the Valle D'Aosta (sp?) region, which was not quite in the quarantined zone at the time, but not *that* far off.

They were told by college officials that they were to come in on Monday as normal.

Then Italy went into full lockdown.

Tuesday rolls around, they're told not to come in any more and (perhaps entirely coincidentally, no clue either way) Shropshire gets its first confirmed diagnosis...

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

namesake posted:

The cause and affect of that is important for leftists to point out to the public now and during the worst parts coming up.

"How very dare you try and use this health crisis for cheap political point scoring" - some centrists and right-wingers, probably.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm fairly sure the UK is a net exporter of toilet paper.

Although admittedly being an exporter of something has never stopped the locals going without it under British rule.

Oof. I read this after just watching a rather haunting documentary on the Irish famine. So true. :(

Highly recommended by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYGCMz6qlo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

GazChap posted:

Some kids at one of the colleges in my home town (Shrewsbury, fact fans) returned from a college-organised skiing trip to Northern Italy on Sunday.

They were in the Valle D'Aosta (sp?) region, which was not quite in the quarantined zone at the time, but not *that* far off.

They were told by college officials that they were to come in on Monday as normal.

Then Italy went into full lockdown.

Tuesday rolls around, they're told not to come in any more and (perhaps entirely coincidentally, no clue either way) Shropshire gets its first confirmed diagnosis...

Coronavirus notwithstanding, lucky kids. The Val d'Aosta is gorgeous. I took my bike up some of the mountain roads up to Gressoney and then over the St Bernard pass last summer.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

She shat out this today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/10/i-wish-everyone-strength-however-they-identify-suzanne-moore

seems like her spiritual awakening from going to Amsterdam and smoking a bit of weed has opened her mind so much she's quoted a bit of Foucault

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I just had an email from Labour "Now you've had a chance to settle in, we would love to know more about what motivated you to become a member of the Labour Party."
I've been a member for 4 years and am on the verge of leaving as soon as I'm sure they won't be able to find and zap my vote.

Also, for the past few minutes, I keep getting this pop up on the bottom left of my screen when I access the forums "Alex Jones got a DWI lol". Is that something on the forum or should I be worried? (Using a laptop not a phone).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just had an email from Labour "Now you've had a chance to settle in, we would love to know more about what motivated you to become a member of the Labour Party."
I've been a member for 4 years and am on the verge of leaving as soon as I'm sure they won't be able to find and zap my vote.

Also, for the past few minutes, I keep getting this pop up on the bottom left of my screen when I access the forums "Alex Jones got a DWI lol". Is that something on the forum or should I be worried? (Using a laptop not a phone).

It seems to be a forum bit. It's a Goatse link. There's a thread in QCS

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

It seems to be a forum bit. It's a Goatse link. There's a thread in QCS

Where is QCS?
(Sorry can't find anything on here except this thread!)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where is QCS?

It's been turned off now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's been turned off now

Fab. I changed internet connection at the same time so wasn't sure if it was the router or what made it vanish.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lol at the forums goatseing everyone for no reason

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThomasPaine posted:

lol at the forums goatseing everyone for no reason

What year is it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

She shat out this today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/10/i-wish-everyone-strength-however-they-identify-suzanne-moore

seems like her spiritual awakening from going to Amsterdam and smoking a bit of weed has opened her mind so much she's quoted a bit of Foucault

how many psychedics do you have to take in Amsterdam to be able to read that and understand what her actual point is supposed to be

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MinSoliSante/status/1236626510703968257

non, la cocaine

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Just got the official email from work. All business related travel, client meetings and roadshows cancelled. Work from home rota being introduced to check that we can support everyone (we upgraded the VPN today). New anti-viral cleaning solution being used, and mandatory 'go the gently caress home' policy for anyone who shows up with a cold.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, uh, that isn't a bad thing. Lot of early 2000s style posting still going on in some of the more interesting sub-forums.

The new popup thing is massively irritating, especially the cookie banner that just takes you to the homepage. Why did they have to choose now to add the first new forums feature in the past decade?

E:

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 10, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

RockyB posted:

Just got the official email from work. All business related travel, client meetings and roadshows cancelled. Work from home rota being introduced to check that we can support everyone (we upgraded the VPN today). New anti-viral cleaning solution being used, and mandatory 'go the gently caress home' policy for anyone who shows up with a cold.

Our work is still in the passive-aggressive "Make your own drat mind up" phase when it comes to going home.

They have finally put piles of paper towels in the loos rather than expecting everyone to spray germs around off their improperly washed hands with the dryer. There's so much hand wash that there's never been a better time to start drinking at work.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Oh well, had to really:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No one reads those handwashing things so don't waste your time spamming them, please.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So many questions about what prompted this.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

No one reads those handwashing things so don't waste your time spamming them, please.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do particularly like it because I can't speak any french but I can cobble together enough of it from general romance noises to figure out:

No, the cocaine does not protect against the covid.

But it is an addictive drug that has grave and undesirable effects on the persons.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 10, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

It's like minion memes: if it makes you want to tear your hair out in a seething hot rage, you aren't the target audience. They are a coping mechanism, a desperate cry of agony from the hearts of milquetoast, boring arseholes. A bleat of distress in trying times, identifying yourself to the herd and seeking gentle reassurance.

Alternatively, we can go back to crispchat / a couple of pages of https://thiscatdoesnotexist.com/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sassassin posted:

It's very annoying but to be fair, they're quite easy to scroll past and the thread isn't exactly moving quickly* so let's just let them have their fun.

*what the gently caress people, how is this thread not being posted in when a national disaster is unfolding before our very eyes :confused:

By summer there won't be a single person left in the western world who hasn't lost someone they know to this virus

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

sassassin posted:

You probably should be reading them, to make sure you don't spread germs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's very annoying but to be fair, they're quite easy to scroll past and the thread isn't exactly moving quickly* so let's just let them have their fun.

*what the gently caress people, how is this thread not being posted in when a national disaster is unfolding before our very eyes :confused:

By summer there won't be a single person left in the western world who hasn't lost someone they know to this virus

I can just scream into the posting window if you would like?

But I'm slightly busy trying to fight the rat men as fantasy french morgan le fay, so it might be infrequent.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

:getin:
https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1237503494325559296
maybe we'll see some proactive measures now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope it's someone I don't like.

e: Nadine Dorries will do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AAaaaaaahhahahahaha.

Nadine dories coming back to claim the title of stupidest MP in parliament.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I can’t imagine trying to snort coke while suffering from severe respiratory problems.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sassassin posted:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dorries of course uses her two years of nursing experience almost 40 years ago as justification for absolutely monstrous views on abortion, disability, and benefits.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nadine will destroy the coronavirus on contact like Jeff Goldblum with the alien mothership

Well that or she'll be all "actually it's nothing" and make things worse, hmmmmm

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I mean if nothing else this page has made me go listen to old RATM songs and mentally tie them to the Labour leadership election, so it counts as a net positive in my eyes.

(This is obviously an analogy for living in a neoliberal hellscape and gently caress Maggie)

Looks like the race is on to see in Trump or the De Pfeffel gets it first then!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Angepain posted:

look i come to this thread to have a good time after a hard day at work, I'm getting stressed out enough with thinking about this crap all day and then you come along and expose me to even more of it. is it too much to ask to have a little respite. i just want to have a few hours at the end of the evening where I can escape with my internet posting friends and not have to think about the foul unstoppable spread across the entire globe of arcgis software

also I liked this joke :frogbon:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
How much cough suppressant do you think they load Trump, Johnson and other political figures with before letting them on television? One tickle in the throat could wipe out the world economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

I can’t imagine trying to snort coke while suffering from severe respiratory problems.
Smoke meth instead*.

*Don't, but some Vick's nasal inhalers contain the levo isomer of methamphetamine. Exact same chemical but in a geometric configuration that doesn't cause neurotoxicity. Can't be a bad time to stock up on nasal inhalers.