Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Panty Saluter posted:

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1237451626387996672?s=20

good, lock that rear end in a top hat up and throw him in solitary

This absolutely loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Everyone is focusing on the completely inept response to COVID-19 from the Feds, but listening to this panel all day makes me feel like the state health and emergency officials have a realistic perspective and realistic capacity to handle an outbreak (depending on severity of course). Better than Lombardy anyway.

You guys seeing any "social distancing" where you are in the state? Cancelled events, emptier streets and restaurants, etc.

Traffic in Austin remains unaffected :geno:

Still waiting on Fiesta events to start getting canceled in San Antonio. I haven't heard anything yet and it's still over a month away but it seems inevitable that Fiesta's gonna be scaled back a lot this year.

edit: Eat poo poo Alex Jones,

Marxalot posted:

This absolutely loving rules

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hispanic has been its own can of worms forever because there's an argument about whether Spanish heritage should be dignified as such since that heritage is rooted in the brutal enslavement of indigenous peoples. This is very, very far from a ubiquitous opinion, and anecdotally I've talked to some folks whose families are from Cuba or Mexico who think of Spain sort of as the motherland

I feel like a lot of this is also tied to the weird dynamics that come up among folks with Spanish heritage who can't actually speak Spanish vs those who do. You don't end up with memes like this if there aren't some hard feelings going around.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While hispanic is a reference to the peninsula their colonial masters came from, latino is a reference to the language (and also squeezes French Guyana into qualifying), so it's not like that's sidestepping the whole issue.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/KenKalthoffNBC5/status/1237414360504549377?s=20

Oh gee I wonder what the demographic breakdown is of the area where ballots had discrepancies

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The only one I recognize is withers elementary, but it's definitely rich white people central, not far from Bush's house.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TXHouseWHC/status/1237414920058265606

Uh

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

The only one I recognize is withers elementary, but it's definitely rich white people central, not far from Bush's house.

That's only partially accurate - you go less than a mile north and all along 635 are low income apartments. A mile or two west and the same thing - huge quantities of low income apartments. The school itself may be in the middle of a relatively wealthy neighborhood, but when you think in terms of population density, the poorer minorities in that area vastly outnumber the people living in those single family homes, even if they occupy much less space.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DAS Super! posted:

https://twitter.com/KenKalthoffNBC5/status/1237414360504549377?s=20

Oh gee I wonder what the demographic breakdown is of the area where ballots had discrepancies

https://twitter.com/AlynneStark/status/1237451234216296450/photo/1

:magemage:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What outcome are they trying to rig here

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

That's only partially accurate - you go less than a mile north and all along 635 are low income apartments. A mile or two west and the same thing - huge quantities of low income apartments. The school itself may be in the middle of a relatively wealthy neighborhood, but when you think in terms of population density, the poorer minorities in that area vastly outnumber the people living in those single family homes, even if they occupy much less space.

Sure, I live a couple miles west among the much cheaper homes, but I don't vote at Withers. I think it's just gross incompetence, but I guess we'll see after the recount.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

Sure, I live a couple miles west among the much cheaper homes, but I don't vote at Withers. I think it's just gross incompetence, but I guess we'll see after the recount.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's some conspiracy or whatever. I'm sure it's just incompetence as well. But I also would bet that more people live in the apartment complex on the NW corner of Forest and Marsh than live in blocks and blocks of that wealthier single family area just on the other corner. Most of those houses hold one or two elderly people, while many of those single bedroom apartments have half a dozen inhabitants each.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

What outcome are they trying to rig here

Bernie should have lost by 4.3% instead of 4.5%

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NicGarcia/status/1237410979555749889

Was anything close up there?

He sucks so bad

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1237412034930761729

Wow can't believe this guy didn't make the runoff. Also I legit can't believe that "proud deplorable" remains a thing

Rofl, dude is mad because the conservative monied interests backed Winegarner instead of Eckstrom.

Winegarner seems pretty awful in terms of policy but is definitely less of a wacko than the others in the race. I went to the candidate forum they had for everyone in Amarillo, and it was pretty depressing.

The best moment was when one of my students submitted a question to the GOP county chair candidates about what they would do regarding the Log Cabin Republicans, and one of the candidates didn't know what a Log Cabin Republican was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's like, gay Republicans? No, that doesn’t sound right.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Image-wise it feels like a weird choice, but he's a staff in the Howard's office (chair of caucus) so it makes sense. He's cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure he's fine but you’re right the optics aren’t great. Seems like the thing that draws snarky tweets from Mack Mackowiak

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SlothfulCobra posted:

While hispanic is a reference to the peninsula their colonial masters came from, latino is a reference to the language (and also squeezes French Guyana into qualifying), so it's not like that's sidestepping the whole issue.

I mean, there's a lot of stuff going on in the conversation. Like, some folks take it to a certain extreme:

Which, of course, ends up ignoring folks with Central American heritage (not to mention that this kind of falls into "but I'm 1/16th Cherokee!" appropriation of First Nations identities by the descendants of colonizers).

But then there's also the weirdness of what is considered "white" in America vs elsewhere. Like, I was in Costa Rica with some US friends last fall, and at some restaurant one of them made a comment about us being the only white people there. Which got a bit of a weird look for someone who overheard, because literally everyone else in the restaurant was a white Costa Rican. We were just the only Anglos there.

So yeah, the whole conversation around the terminology is clearly still being worked out and it's probably best to let that community figure things out before chiming in...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1237734291767005184

Every one of those cases is from that one Egypt cruise. I think the only actual p2p infections that have occurred in Texas were that dude in Collin Co who gave it to his wife and kid. People are losing their minds over this; I can't remember, was it like this for SARS or H1N1? The only thing I remember about the latter is the get ready for some loving bird flu meme but I don't recall this level of unease.

I know that the federal government not taking this seriously due to direction from Trump isn't helping things, but to me it seems like every official in Texas is taking this very seriously.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Every one of those cases is from that one Egypt cruise. I think the only actual p2p infections that have occurred in Texas were that dude in Collin Co who gave it to his wife and kid. People are losing their minds over this; I can't remember, was it like this for SARS or H1N1? The only thing I remember about the latter is the get ready for some loving bird flu meme but I don't recall this level of unease.

SARS and swine flu got a lot of big and loud headlines, but at their peaks those episodes were still a hell of a lot tamer in the US than what we're seeing now. SARS had a real bad case fatality rate but was relatively easy to spot and contain, as it had consistent symptoms and a shorter incubation period. It never actually got to "pandemic" status. H1N1 was a lot harder to spot and contain, but it had a low case fatality rate, similar to regular influenza.

Wikipedia tells me SARS only ever had 27 cases in the US and zero fatalities, which sounds right - the only bad outbreak in North America was in Toronto, which had 251 cases/49 deaths. H1N1 had about a couple thousand confirmed fatalities in the US, but again, people didn't freak out about it as much because the fatality rate was not all that much worse than influenza. Neither of those episodes prompted anything like the event cancellations and university closures like we're seeing now. New York State just mobilized the national guard, we sure as hell didn't see that for SARS or swine flu. The idea that we'll be watching the NCAA tournament being played in silent arenas is wild, but given the strain on our healthcare system that seems likely if we go the way of China and Italy, I can't fault anyone for calling for drastic measures.

zoux posted:

I know that the federal government not taking this seriously due to direction from Trump isn't helping things, but to me it seems like every official in Texas is taking this very seriously.

The disconnect between state/local authorities and federal authorities is remarkable, I don't really recall a precedent for a big, obvious, slow-motion crisis where the state/local people are rightfully freaking out but the feds are trying to brush it off. The only modern episode that comes close was Katrina, but I still don't think that works as a comparison because the disputes between state/local and federal people were about assigning blame, not about the basic acknowledgment of the severity of a crisis. There was a ton of finger-pointing about who hosed up, but everyone was still on the same page about the fundamental fact that there was a big fuckin' problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

I can't fault anyone for calling for drastic measures.

It seems like we are taking drastic measures. Social media/the news is like "We're gonna be Italy!" but was Italy cancelling essentially every public conference and activity before community spread was established? We cancelled SXSW which was just, apocalyptically unthinkable three months ago. I have really bad health anxiety, so obviously my interest is that the media, social and commercial, is blowing this out of proportion so I can't be objective about it because I want them to be wrong so bad, and I recognize that. I think it's exacerbated by people using the outbreak as the perfect exemplar of exactly why *my* politics should be implemented, and it seems that many see this as a useful cudgel to beat Trump with, and they're doing so. Not that he deserves anything but scorn and blame over this, but people are like "MILLIONS WILL DIE DUE TO TRUMP YOU WILL SEE" and that seems more like political opportunism rather than sober analysis.

https://twitter.com/jsmccullou/status/1237749846171418627

If I see a single "Texas cases jump by almost 100 in a day" headline then I guess I'll have my answer. Public health reporting in general is extremely bad and sensationalized, even when it's something like cholesterol guidelines have changed.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

It seems like we are taking drastic measures. Social media/the news is like "We're gonna be Italy!" but was Italy cancelling essentially every public conference and activity before community spread was established? We cancelled SXSW which was just, apocalyptically unthinkable three months ago. I have really bad health anxiety, so obviously my interest is that the media, social and commercial, is blowing this out of proportion so I can't be objective about it because I want them to be wrong so bad, and I recognize that. I think it's exacerbated by people using the outbreak as the perfect exemplar of exactly why *my* politics should be implemented, and it seems that many see this as a useful cudgel to beat Trump with, and they're doing so. Not that he deserves anything but scorn and blame over this, but people are like "MILLIONS WILL DIE DUE TO TRUMP YOU WILL SEE" and that seems more like political opportunism rather than sober analysis.

https://twitter.com/jsmccullou/status/1237749846171418627

If I see a single "Texas cases jump by almost 100 in a day" headline then I guess I'll have my answer. Public health reporting in general is extremely bad and sensationalized, even when it's something like cholesterol guidelines have changed.

I don't think there's a lot of community transmission in Texas yet. I work in a molecular pathology lab(as a software developer so I'm just passing along what I hear in meetings not my own expertise) and we have a couple cases here and there, but no one's really talking about the kind of poo poo you're seeing in California/Washington/NY. We're still working on getting our test online separate from the CDC, and had a meeting where they talked a little about the public health messaging etc. today, but no one around me seems super concerned that it's everywhere in Texas and just not being traced. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll just simmer along here until November, then everyone dies :v:. It's definitely more infectious than the flu, but it's not *that* much easier to spread, and it's past flu season here. It'll be slow, probably. That said, my chair cancelled all his travel plans, even domestic ones, and encouraged others to do the same, so people are worried.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's an example, I've seen a ton of stories about Trump/Pence/Bojo/whatever CPAC attendee not getting tested and people freaking out about it, but the state public health officials at that hearing yesterday said that you can't test asymptomatic people, like it doesn't work until the person is showing symptoms. I don't trust anything coming out of the federal government right now since they have to cater to the ego of a mad king, but I don't see why state officials would lie in this particular scenario.

Again, it's impossible for me to distinguish between my own wishful thinking and actual good information, but all the catastrophizing on-line for clout isn't helping. Stay the gently caress out of the SA COVID threads unless you want to worry if you should be preparing more for fast or slow zombies.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

It seems like we are taking drastic measures. Social media/the news is like "We're gonna be Italy!" but was Italy cancelling essentially every public conference and activity before community spread was established? We cancelled SXSW which was just, apocalyptically unthinkable three months ago. I have really bad health anxiety, so obviously my interest is that the media, social and commercial, is blowing this out of proportion so I can't be objective about it because I want them to be wrong so bad, and I recognize that.

These are all completely unprofessional opinions, so get your salt shaker out.

I don't know at which stage Italy started canceling public events and blocking travel, but if they had a do-over, I suspect they'd do it even earlier. My read on it is that we're not dealing with a bug that's going to put everyone in the hospital, we're dealing with a bug that's going to put much of certain segments of the population in the hospital, in a way that requires long, intensive treatment of life-threatening conditions, which puts an immense strain on hospitals. For places that already have outbreaks (which seems to include places like Seattle and NY, but maybe not Texas yet), the goal now is just keeping infections down enough that the ICUs don't get absolutely overwhelmed. Canceling stuff like SXSW is important not because an outbreak at SXSW would kill that many SXSW attendees, but because those attendees would take the bug home, where it could then spread to grandma and put grandma in the ICU, along with everyone else's grandma.

I don't usually have bad anxiety about this stuff, but I have a pregnant wife who is due in less than a month, and I'm now mildly terrified of an outbreak happening in San Antonio right at the same time my family is about to go in for a hospital stay. The good news for me is that children do not seem to be severely impacted at all by this virus, and people below 50 seem to have good odds of weathering the virus okay. If you're over 50 or 60, or if you're immunocompromised, or if you have a preexisting respiratory conditions, it sounds like you really don't want to catch this. But if you're younger and reasonably healthy, you probably don't need to panic. (I'm still freaking out though because I haven't seen any data about its impact on pregnancies or newborns, yet.) The other good news is that the only confirmed case of community transmission in Texas so far is that one dude in Collin Co. who gave it to his wife and kid. So far, there's no confirmed indications of an outbreak in Texas. Time will tell if that's because there's really not an outbreak yet, or if we just haven't realized it yet because our testing capacity is so pitiful.

zoux posted:

I think it's exacerbated by people using the outbreak as the perfect exemplar of exactly why *my* politics should be implemented, and it seems that many see this as a useful cudgel to beat Trump with, and they're doing so. Not that he deserves anything but scorn and blame over this, but people are like "MILLIONS WILL DIE DUE TO TRUMP YOU WILL SEE" and that seems more like political opportunism rather than sober analysis.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Trump's administration seems to be handling this badly, the rhetoric from Trump himself and outlets like Fox News is flat out dangerous, and people are right to be shouting about that. But the people screaming "MILLIONS WILL DIE, WE'RE DOOMED" are either overreacting or deliberately exploiting the situation. People will die, and there's a good chance that some more will die than otherwise would've because of Trump's rhetoric and the administration's mishandling of things, but it's not going to be that apocalyptic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That all sounds reasonable, it's just I can't trust my own judgment in situations like this.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1237739416464109568

Guess that explains why Trautman reversed herself from "GOP :argh:" to "My bad." Alexa Ura basically singlehandedly broke the Whitely voter suppression story so I'd trust her reporting on this. Also instructive to keep in mind as we see similar allegations of voter suppression where evidence is long lines at polling places in other states: Hanlon's Razor applies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/andreazelinski/status/1237770791854518272

!!!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Is Howdy a sentient pair of pants? What am I looking at here?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please don't be ridiculous. Howdy is a sentient letter H.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just close all rodeos permanently

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChronFalkenberg/status/1237797442491465730

Wuhan Situation was my favorite character on Yangtze Shore

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Welp, Texas Tribune is now reporting about a possible case of community spread in Texas. A Montgomery County man in his 40s has tested positive, and they're reporting that he has not traveled outside of the state recently and officials are not sure how he caught it. He apparently attended a barbecue at the Houston Rodeo on Feb 28, though of course it is not clear if he caught it there or if he had symptoms at that time.

The article does not paint a very comforting picture, it sounds like we desperately need more testing capacity right now and we just do not have it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/James_Barragan/status/1237820408998645761

Oh

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
With out looking at the tallies, I find it hard to believe that no races deep down ballot got affected.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.dallascountyvotes.org/election-results-and-maps/election-results/

Also the person who requested the recount is the person who said nothing was affected

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
So an honest fuckup.

Judging by the serial numbers of the flash drives that were misplaced, it looks like they took Denton County's system for this election. This system has paper trails.

Edit: Now that I think about it, election workers also tend to take a copy of the ballot machine printouts as a memento and also use it to check it against the published results (at least I did).

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 11, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lara_korte/status/1237832749064560641

A&M I think cancelled classes for the rest of this week leading into spring break, this is a step beyond that. You gotta think UT-Austin has to make a call at some point.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1237833900166131713

Lol gently caress you Don

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

UTSA just announced a similar policy as Baylor - extended spring break into next week, then classes move online after that. I don't know if there's any coordination among schools in the state system, but yeah, seems likely that UT Austin and a bunch of others are about to follow suit.

In Bexar County election news, the two biggest nutjobs in the primaries are now bitching to the local press about the election results being suspect, but of course with zero evidence other than these results couldn't possibly be right! Incumbent Bexar County Republican chairwoman Cynthia Brehm, who you may remember as the one with the husband who's got a track record of exposing himself to underage girls (including Brehm's own daughter!), is in disbelief at being forced into a runoff, saying of last week's election that we should "throw it out" because "my constituents don’t trust it."

Meanwhile, the incumbent county sheriff avoided a runoff and won the Democratic primary outright. That hasn't stopped the 3rd place finisher, Michelle Vela, from just-asking-questions around any reporter that'll listen. Unfortunately, being about 40 points behind the incumbent; and also being currently under indictment for falsifying and tampering with evidence (as a former constable); and also facing litigation for sexual harassment of subordinates; and also being under investigation for shaking down city park-goers for protection money, does not seem to be enough to get the local press to stop listening to your insane rantings.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
the local press needs any controversy they can to sell clicks in san antonio

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ahhh Bexar County dems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land