Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's too cold (and maybe wet) :negative:

Oh 8b.

Maybe your rhododendron's just the wrong variety? I'm in 8b and they generally do really well here. Many gardens have them. The local botanical garden even has a "rhododendron walk" with about 50 different kinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know if cold hardiness tells the whole story or not with citrus. Just because a satsuma won't freeze there, I have no idea if a satsuma would like the cloudy, wet, cool PNW as much as southern California or the gulf coast.

That’s a good point.

Acid fruits like limes and lemons or yuzu and sudachi don’t require much heat to ripen.

Despite being very cold hardy, kumquats do require notable amounts of heat. They’d have a better shot in the interior valleys than on the coast.

Mandarin heat requirements vary. This page from Monterey Bay Nursery has a lot of good information about citrus, and of particular interest here are notes on how different cultivars ripen on the California coast.

Satsumas are said to do well on the coast. Some mandarins like clementines and W. Murcott (California’s main commercial varieties) do not.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Found a cool shroom in my garden

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh 8b.

Maybe your rhododendron's just the wrong variety? I'm in 8b and they generally do really well here. Many gardens have them. The local botanical garden even has a "rhododendron walk" with about 50 different kinds.

It is a Bibiani rhododendron iirc? I got it from the local botanical gardens plant sale that usually has well adapted stuff, but idk what it’s little deal is. I had it in the shade and it didn’t die but it didn’t really grow or bloom either so I moved it to a little more sun and now the leaves get scorched. I have tons of azaleas (evergreen indicas and deciduous) and they all do fine :shrug: I think our long hot summers are the problem, but the botanical gardens has some of the same variety. Theirs are planted on a NE slope and that probably helps. Mine is on flat ground so maybe it’s a drainage thing, but my soil is pretty well drained for the most part.

Jestery posted:

Found a cool shroom in my garden

I don’t think you’ll like it as much when it opens up and reveals its stinkhorniness

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a Bibiani rhododendron iirc? I got it from the local botanical gardens plant sale that usually has well adapted stuff, but idk what it’s little deal is. I had it in the shade and it didn’t die but it didn’t really grow or bloom either so I moved it to a little more sun and now the leaves get scorched. I have tons of azaleas (evergreen indicas and deciduous) and they all do fine :shrug: I think our long hot summers are the problem, but the botanical gardens has some of the same variety. Theirs are planted on a NE slope and that probably helps. Mine is on flat ground so maybe it’s a drainage thing, but my soil is pretty well drained for the most part.

Not super familiar with bibiani but when I got my catawbiense they told me to take care of it like it was a new plant for two full years before loving with it in any way, especially in terms of watering regularly and never pruning. So my impression was that rhodies likely do not tolerate aggravation very well at all. Thus I planted them and watered regularly but otherwise left alone.

They didn’t really do poo poo the first year except for the blooms they already had from the growhouse and then had some dieback, second year they looked like pure poo poo and had like a single flower each. Now on year three were looking at multiple flowers per plant, everything looking stronger and more flush, they’re still a little stringy in growth habit but lots of nice new growth as well

All this to say that at least for me that advice was right and that these things need serious patience to actually establish themselves. Moving them probably sucks rear end for the plant. Ymmv of course

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Half of my apple trees are arriving tomorrow and I still haven’t put the drat trellis on my wall yet :effort:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mostly herbs (I was doing really well at basil until it, too, grew mold), sometimes those dumb 'regrow vegetables from scraps!' lifehacks, all in pots in my apartment window sill bc I don't have a porch.

It's a wonder to me that any plants grow outside if they're so finicky under human care

Herbs in my experience very much love to be outside and heavily watered in good draining soil. Lots and lots of sunlight and water. What’s your setup like?

Plants grow badass outside because we haven’t snatched them from their natural environment where they were evolved to live. Growing potted and inside plants is a testament to how tough they are; even insanely restricted and divorced from their traditional locale, they still manage to ball out

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 11, 2020

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Wallet posted:

I have more dumb plant questions for you, plant thread, because the entirety of my impractical plant knowledge came from three botany classes in college.

I picked up this tall boy who was labeled as a cactus :saddowns: the other day.

Unless I'm even stupider than I think (a distinct possibility), it's a Euphorbia. It looks like Euphorbia ingens to me but I don't know poo poo. Hopefully it isn't going to take over my entire house because there's no way it's going to survive outdoors here. It's a bit pot-bound already so I am afeared.

For bonus points the hybrid Echeveria in the bottom left of the first picture was sold as 'Dick's Pink' but it doesn't really look like one. Here's an actual picture of it:

Anyone know what it is?

That's definitely a Euphorbia, probably ingens.

No idea about the Echeveria though - there's about a million hybrids and cultivars and heaps of them are poorly labelled.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

All this to say that at least for me that advice was right and that these things need serious patience to actually establish themselves. Moving them probably sucks rear end for the plant. Ymmv of course
You are probably right. It was in the same spot for 3-4 of those 5 years and just never did anything. Because it hadn’t done what I’d hoped (be a nice big beautiful evergreen thing)I wanted to put some nice beautiful evergreen things there and moved it to make way for some mahonia. Maybe it would have settled in and finally done something, but I thjnk it might have been too deep of shade and my patience ran out in any case.

All the rhododendrons (and maybe even most of the heath family?) except maybe indica azaleas really don’t seem to like being hosed with. I’ve lost more container grown native azaleas than I think anything else, and moving them never seems to work well.

It’s funny how some plants just don’t care and you can rip a rosemary out of the ground with a truck and stick it in any old hole and it’s happy but no amount of babying will let you move a sourwood.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mostly herbs (I was doing really well at basil until it, too, grew mold), sometimes those dumb 'regrow vegetables from scraps!' lifehacks, all in pots in my apartment window sill bc I don't have a porch.

It's a wonder to me that any plants grow outside if they're so finicky under human care
To add to what Oil of Paris said, I can grow about anything that will grow here (except apparently various members of the genus Rhododendron) outside but I am death to houseplants. My outside has good dirt and lots of rain and high humidity so if I forget about something it’ll probably be fine for a while, whereas I am a houseplant’s only source of light, water, nutrients, and ventilation. If I screw up even a little the plant is gonna have a bad time, and that’s why so many common houseplants are tough as cast iron (though here the aspidistra does fine outside too!)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oil of Paris posted:

Herbs in my experience very much love to be outside and heavily watered in good draining soil. Lots and lots of sunlight and water. What’s your setup like?

Unfortunately I do not have an outside - no porch, no backyard, not allowed to hang anything on the outside of my windows. Like I said, I've just had pots on my windowsill. I only have south facing windows, most of them are directly above the radiator, and I'm in Toronto if that helps give an idea of the climate. I'm not sure if any other details are important re: 'setup'

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In the process of getting quotes for a new fence for my yard. Apparently some of my homework pre-fence is going to involve cutting down all of the old lilac trees/bushes we have growing now along one side of our property.

Any recommendations on nice looking, bee-friendly, hippy/dippy trees our shrubs we could plant to replace the lilacs once the new fence is in?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Maybe this is a stupid question but how do you know when the last frost will be? Do you just guess and if it happens to frost again you cut your losses? It seems to me like if you wait to be really sure it'll be too hot by the time you're planting anything

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question but how do you know when the last frost will be? Do you just guess and if it happens to frost again you cut your losses? It seems to me like if you wait to be really sure it'll be too hot by the time you're planting anything

Its always a guess.

You can use weather almanac and other sources to get a pretty good estimate, but every once in a while you'll get a late frost that kills everything. Or you may plant a month early and get lucky.

I'm in zone 4 and generally aim for the beginning of May for my transplants.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Killingyouguy! posted:

Google 'first/last frost [my location]' and you'll find a bunch, or consult an old fashioned farmer's almanac. This one works for Canada: https://www.almanac.com/gardening/frostdates

The dates given are basically averages based on past weather data, and usually they will have a range. For instance, for my area there's a 90% chance of frost before February 9th and a only 10% chance of a frost after March 21st, with the average last frost being February 28th. If I wanted to be really safe planting tender stuff, I'd wait until after march 21, but I can probably get away with planting after Feb. 28th, especially if it has been a mild winter. A late freeze is a possibility and I'd be scrambling to cover all my stuff up-for a farmer that can mean replanting.

Soil temperature is a different thing. Some crops/plants need warm soil for the seeds to germinate, some need cool soil, and some won't grow well if the soil is too hot/cold.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

New tree!

Coast redwood. Hopefully it lives forever and becomes unreasonably large sometime long after I've sold this house or died.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apart from the usual container annuals, this year I have to find room for:

- an Itoh peony, somewhere with more light than the almost zero it gets currently :(
- a 21-year-old hydrangea that's been planted in my parents' garden but is technically mine
- and a second blueberry, having just discovered I need two to get any fruiting action

I also need to do a little more research into plants that love wet feet and will help keep wet soil from falling apart, since I discovered a corner had washed right out of one of our raised beds, near the rain barrel. :mad:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Soooooon.... (I think)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

elgarbo posted:

That's definitely a Euphorbia, probably ingens.

No idea about the Echeveria though - there's about a million hybrids and cultivars and heaps of them are poorly labelled.

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't expect anyone would actually be able to ID the hybrid but I don't suppose it matters too much.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How long can (I assume dormant) bare-root and potted trees survive without being planted?

My espalier trees just came in today and I still need to finish setting up my trellis.

EDIT: And another question, so I don’t have to doublepost.

We just had some guys replace our fence out where these trees are gonna go, which is where my ground cover is, but I never cleaned up the animal poo poo that was lying around out there beforehand, and apparently the fence dudes stepped in it and tracked it everywhere all over the cover. Now I don’t want to walk around there cuz I’m paranoid it’s gonna get on my shoes. And just because poo poo grosses me extremely the gently caress out and I’m probably weirder about it than most people.

This is a dumb question, but is there a way to sanitize ground cover that may have cat poo poo all over it? Maybe with a sprayer? I’d like to avoid buying all new ground cover if I can.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 12, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

Unfortunately I do not have an outside - no porch, no backyard, not allowed to hang anything on the outside of my windows. Like I said, I've just had pots on my windowsill. I only have south facing windows, most of them are directly above the radiator, and I'm in Toronto if that helps give an idea of the climate. I'm not sure if any other details are important re: 'setup'

Yeah my bad, I had read that but wasn’t sure if you have a grow light or something that could provide a lot of extra light, which in my opinion is probably the root of your issue

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any recommendations on nice looking, bee-friendly, hippy/dippy trees our shrubs we could plant to replace the lilacs once the new fence is in?

Oh man so many. What’s the sun exposure like in the area you’ll be planting in?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

How long can (I assume dormant) bare-root and potted trees survive without being planted?

My espalier trees just came in today and I still need to finish setting up my trellis.

EDIT: And another question, so I don’t have to doublepost.

We just had some guys replace our fence out where these trees are gonna go, which is where my ground cover is, but I never cleaned up the animal poo poo that was lying around out there beforehand, and apparently the fence dudes stepped in it and tracked it everywhere all over the cover. Now I don’t want to walk around there cuz I’m paranoid it’s gonna get on my shoes. And just because poo poo grosses me extremely the gently caress out and I’m probably weirder about it than most people.

This is a dumb question, but is there a way to sanitize ground cover that may have cat poo poo all over it? Maybe with a sprayer? I’d like to avoid buying all new ground cover if I can.

Bare root plants need to covered with dirt ASAP whether in a pot or the ground, otherwise they’ll dry out and “yeah, rip.” Potted trees will be fine pretty indefinitely until they get root bound and choke themselves out. And just spray the cat poo poo off of the ground cover with a hose rofl, you’re being very extra about encountering poo poo in the outside world

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Oh man so many. What’s the sun exposure like in the area you’ll be planting in?

They line the western side of my property and for the most part get good sun. A couple of mildly shady spots due to a neighboring ash and maple tree.

It'll suck to tear them out. The birds really loved using them as cover when going to and from my feeder.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They line the western side of my property and for the most part get good sun. A couple of mildly shady spots due to a neighboring ash and maple tree.

It'll suck to tear them out. The birds really loved using them as cover when going to and from my feeder.

Alright I meant to make a big list last night but ended up drinking wine on the porch and talking plant stuff with a buddy since poo poo is FINALLY blooming, so here’s my starter list from phone, I’ll go back and edit in actual scientific names and other selections later when it’s not such a bitch to look them up and I’m not just going from memory. Forgot to ask your zone but most of these should live unless you’re somewhere crazy. Tried to think mostly of plants that will at least be somewhat similar to the bushing nature of the lilacs:

Azalea (native deciduous if you want to be cool)
Oakleaf hydrangea
Butterfly bush (sterile varieties only)
Red buckeye/painted buckeye
Viburnum plicatum
Dogwood
Quince
Fothergilla
Camellia japonica (see the ultra post a couple pages back for more details)
Rhododendron if there’s a real shady spot
Spirea
Mahonia in shady spot
Sweet shrub
Chaste tree
Witchhazel in shady spot

Also supplement those woody plants with flowering perennials, that way you’ve always got some interest with new stuff going on and flowers to feed those pollinators:

Coneflower
Joe Pye Weed
Lavender
Baptisia (insanely good pick)
Creeping phlox
Salvia
Speedwell
Balloon flower
Hellebores in the shady spot
Bee balm
Bachelor button (this is a legit weed so beware)
Peony
Astilbe
Cup flower
Guara

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 13, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Red buckeye/painted buckeye

Sweet shrub

Bottlebrush buckeye is another really great buckeye, that can take a bit more sun and is a bit faster growing than red buckeye.

There are some reeeaaaaallllllyyyy pretty improved varieties of calycanthus/sweetshrub that have yellow flowers. My botanical gardens has some, but I've never been able to find them for sale locally.

Oil of Paris posted:

Baptisia (insanely good pick)
I'd never heard of this but I looked it up and :eyepop: gonna have to try some.

Just met my new neighbor and he is the county extension agent for residential home gardens and teaches the master gardeners so now all my questions will have answers!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Holy hell thanks for the effort post! That gives me a lot of plants to look up this weekend. Will make the sting of pulling the lilacs out a whole lot easier to deal with knowing something else cool is going in.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Great native recommendations, but I don't like mahonia. It's invasive in the SE US anyway.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Despite thinning a couple of times, my wildflower bed is still SUPER thick. It looks like I'm growing a lawn out here. I'm starting to worry because the places where the seedlings are not as thick, the plants are starting to get noticeably bigger. Should I keep doing modest thinning on this bed or just go buck wild and rip a bunch out? Let it ride? Goal is still to be in full flower in 2 months.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cheese posted:

Despite thinning a couple of times, my wildflower bed is still SUPER thick. It looks like I'm growing a lawn out here. I'm starting to worry because the places where the seedlings are not as thick, the plants are starting to get noticeably bigger. Should I keep doing modest thinning on this bed or just go buck wild and rip a bunch out? Let it ride? Goal is still to be in full flower in 2 months.

Yup you need to thin. It's absolutely the hardest thing in the world to do because all those could be a nice plant, but if you don't then none of them will. I would guess at the moment aim for 2-3" between plants, saving the strongest and largest looking seedlings. In another week, see how things look, but you will probably need to do another thinning. I'd guess ~6"-12" between plants is where you want to wind up depending on what is in there.

E: this depends alot on what sort of effect you are going for. It is definitely seeded too heavily, but if you want a more natural meadow look, leave it thicker (>6" between plants?). You will get smaller plants with fewer and smaller flowers all packed together, but that may be exactly what you want-a carpet of green with some flowers. If you want the same area to have a few nice tall plants with bigger flowers that will look a bit more like a garden, thin it more heavily (6-12"+ between plants?)

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 14, 2020

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm definitely going for the overgrown look. Its going to be my daughters "fairy garden" after all :) Ideally I don't see any soil and its just a jungle of different green leaves with all kinds of different flowers shooting out all over the place.

Also this is just one corner of a 6'x4' bed and I don't see myself on my hands and knees sorting through every seedling. I'll likely just start by making a checkerboard of empty soil by pinching out clumps of plants and then just sort of thin from there? The other issue is that its got like 12 different seeds in the mix and I don't want to end up leaving only seedlings from a few varieties.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhEB_8r5XA&t=164s
This video was sort of part of my inspiration, I can't leave them that thick though? His seedlings look super thick.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cheese posted:

Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm definitely going for the overgrown look. Its going to be my daughters "fairy garden" after all :) Ideally I don't see any soil and its just a jungle of different green leaves with all kinds of different flowers shooting out all over the place.

Also this is just one corner of a 6'x4' bed and I don't see myself on my hands and knees sorting through every seedling. I'll likely just start by making a checkerboard of empty soil by pinching out clumps of plants and then just sort of thin from there? The other issue is that its got like 12 different seeds in the mix and I don't want to end up leaving only seedlings from a few varieties.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhEB_8r5XA&t=164s
This video was sort of part of my inspiration, I can't leave them that thick though? His seedlings look super thick.
There's no right answer! Pump enough fertilizer and water in there and you might could leave it as thick as it currently is. If you just start randomly grabbing seedlings and pulling them out it'll go faster than you think. I've had zinnias come up almost that thick and been too lazy to thin them and still gotten zinnia flowers, they just were half the the height and the flowers were half the size they normally are. Your daughter will think they are cool and fun whether they are flowers an inch across or 6" across. Tiny child fingers are also very nimble at thinning seedlings, and the earlier you start them playing in the dirt the better, IMO, plus she'll probably think it's fun and be invested in it. Let some go to seed and collect the seeds for next year's garden too!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Great native recommendations, but I don't like mahonia. It's invasive in the SE US anyway.

I hear that its invasive but I just can't figure out why we worry about it. It doesn't spread rapidly, looks very cool, and doesn't really seem to displace anything native. Doesn't even get very big. The most negative thing I've heard is that deer can't eat it... Boo.Fuckin.Hoo.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There's no right answer! Pump enough fertilizer and water in there and you might could leave it as thick as it currently is. If you just start randomly grabbing seedlings and pulling them out it'll go faster than you think. I've had zinnias come up almost that thick and been too lazy to thin them and still gotten zinnia flowers, they just were half the the height and the flowers were half the size they normally are. Your daughter will think they are cool and fun whether they are flowers an inch across or 6" across. Tiny child fingers are also very nimble at thinning seedlings, and the earlier you start them playing in the dirt the better, IMO, plus she'll probably think it's fun and be invested in it. Let some go to seed and collect the seeds for next year's garden too!
I went ahead and thinned it again. I just pulled out clumps and made a bunch of quarter sized dirt patches, then attacked any especially thick areas a little more closely. Impossible to figure out which seedlings are strong and which are just different varieties. Its no where near thinned the way you suggested, but I pulled out about a basketball of greenery and I'm willing to fertilize to get flowers. Lots of learnings from this bed, as they say.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oil of Paris posted:

I hear that its invasive but I just can't figure out why we worry about it. It doesn't spread rapidly, looks very cool, and doesn't really seem to displace anything native. Doesn't even get very big. The most negative thing I've heard is that deer can't eat it... Boo.Fuckin.Hoo.

It's not the worst, but I have seen whole thickets of it in the woods here, as dense as privet or elaeagnus.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anything similar to a purple heart/wandering Jew that can survive a frost while in a hanging pot?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's not the worst, but I have seen whole thickets of it in the woods here, as dense as privet or elaeagnus.

I haven't ever seen escaped mahonia here, but privet, cogongrass, chinese tallow, chinaberry and camphor laurel can gently caress right off. It gets juuuust cold enough here that chinaberry and camphor laurel never get really big and potentially pretty, but still mature enough to seed in like crazy.

I wish camellias would naturalize and become invasive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ailanthus altissima, or as they call it in its native land, “foul-smelling tree”, is one of the worst.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Ailanthus altissima, or as they call it in its native land, “foul-smelling tree”, is one of the worst.

lol yes, also known as the the equally fitting "ghetto palm." There are some very funny and informative articles out there about it

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Its all over the freeway edges in some spots in the bay area, what a lovely plant.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
gently caress CHINESE TALLOW INFINITELY
Hey do you want to ruin a wetland with trees that are poisonous to nearly everything? Here's how!

Bradford pear to a lesser extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
California has feral figs, Hawai‘i has feral cattley guava (spread by feral pigs), and of course kudzu swallowed the South.

The most horrible thing about A. altissima is that it’s everywhere. It’s invasive everywhere from Maine to Afghanistan.

e: Callery pears have weak branching structure and thorns and they smell like spunk, but at least they’re pears.

They make decent lumber if you can find one large enough, which absolutely cannot be said for most invasives.

If there’s a callery pear growing in a spot you wouldn’t mind having a good tree in, behead it and graft edible pear scions to its neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju1j7r5f1XY

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 15, 2020