Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ahahahaha, the way Mary hinted at wanting to help Kate. Mary's the goddamn best.

Also, fuuuuuuuuuck Sophie's mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm confused, doesn't Sophie already know Kate is Batwoman? This episode seemed otherwise.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Bruceski posted:

I'm confused, doesn't Sophie already know Kate is Batwoman? This episode seemed otherwise.

She was sure of it when Batwoman first appeared, but they pulled that trick where Alfred's granddaughter (niece?) put on the suit so "Batwoman" and Kate were both in front of Sophie at the same time. Since then she seems to genuinely believe Kate isn't her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally catching up to the episode. The parallel convo thing is actually really good and seeing Kate be chipper for once instead of angsty or trying to hit on someone is actually refreshing and, again, reminds me of Arrow and him dialing up his positive attitude made him more endearing. Unfortunately this involves Sohpie who's the worst.

Edit: Mary continues to be the best. Alice's actress is doing work and has some pretty good material, but it's a shame she's so overexposed. Duela (Dent) is a neat, semi-obscure villain to introduce though. Also, could've been a better story about body dysmorphia but not enough space with Sophie's relationship problems and Alice's whole general plot.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 9, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sophie is no longer the worst, that position has been taken by her mother.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Sophie is no longer the worst, that position has been taken by her mother.

Oh definitely. Is it hereditary?

Also, I guess Kate's bar serves coffee in the morning since that was also part of the opening conversation scene

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode made it pretty clear that you shouldn't just leave a criminal tied up with nobody watching her. Also kind of goofy to do a whole thing about the Crows being corrupt with the guy in charge somehow having no idea.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No, goddammit show, don't you try to make me sympathize with Sophie after her being the worst for so long! :argh:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kate tricking Sophie into thinking she's not Batwoman and then making out with her as Batwoman was kinda messed up. Glad they're not going any further with that.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Did they seriously retread the whole "parent is disappointed in child because they are gay because they think that means they're making their life harder for themselves" thing from Supergirl?

Writers, you know you can just make a shithead parent be a shithead parent, right?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

ApeHawk posted:

Did they seriously retread the whole "parent is disappointed in child because they are gay because they think that means they're making their life harder for themselves" thing from Supergirl?

Writers, you know you can just make a shithead parent be a shithead parent, right?

I really don't understand your point here. Are you saying it's unrealistic for two parents in Arrowverse shows to be homophobic and emotionally manipulative selfish shitheads?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

jassa posted:

I really don't understand your point here. Are you saying it's unrealistic for two parents in Arrowverse shows to be homophobic and emotionally manipulative selfish shitheads?

Not unrealistic, just that it seems like they practically copied the same reasoning behind their shittyness.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oh Alessandra Torresani is Duela. She's awesome.

I wonder if the acid vat was one of Joker's. They have to be all over the place in Gotham.

And god drat everything involving Sophie is always so terrible. She's the opposite of Alice's abs. drat, how many crunches does Rachel Skarsten do?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I met Allesandra when she did some cons after Caprica, she's a delight and she's like 5 feet tall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rhyno posted:

I met Allesandra when she did some cons after Caprica, she's a delight and she's like 5 feet tall.

I met her at a con as well, and she was totally a sweetheart.

They're using facemasks like old Mission Impossible episodes, that's kinda neat but I still don't care about Alice's drama. Of all the CW shows the side Drama just seems so much worse in this show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if the acid vat was one of Joker's. They have to be all over the place in Gotham.

Pretty sure that was the woman's makeup factory.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm glad they've progressed from "face masks are intricate, delicate work cobbled to together from dozens of pieces" to full on face/off territory.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bruceski posted:

Pretty sure that was the woman's makeup factory.

That is exactly where the Joker would have acid vats.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'm glad they've progressed from "face masks are intricate, delicate work cobbled to together from dozens of pieces" to full on face/off territory.

That was a little weird even if, presumably, Alice picked up some skills from Mouse.

Still appreciate the addition of Duella even if the scene where the cops finally find her has her looking more like she smeared red paint all over her face rather than it being missing. I hope they give her the "having a stapled on fake face" look though, but that's probably not gonna happen that much just due to make up stuff.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

That was a little weird even if, presumably, Alice picked up some skills from Mouse.

Hasn't the storyline all along been that Alice makes them for Mouse?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Hasn't the storyline all along been that Alice makes them for Mouse?

Yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Production has shut down due to the virus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Duela was a step in the right direction. More Batvillains. Hopefully she comes back and they play around with the "Joker's Daughter"/"Two Face's Daughter"/"Riddler's Daughter" etc thing. Would be a good way to dance around those bigger Batvillains without having them. And Egg is a good enough actress to be worth repeats.

But yeah, as usual she was overshadowed by too much Alice and Sophie and etc. I still like Alice but she needs to take a vacation, be thrown in prison, or something. We need a break from her.

I'll refrain from being mean to Sophie on account of her mom being terrible and Kate being a little sketchy about that relationship.

Mary remains the best. I thought she was gonna get all upset that Alice knew before her, but once again Mary proved to be awesome with that whole "I trust you and I hope one day you trust me too" speech.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03/14/woman-paralyzed-while-working-on-set-of-batwoman-in-vancouver/

Well that's sad and depressing

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

quote:

While doing her job as a production assistant, the bucket of a lift lowered onto her head and she was trapped beneath it.
:wtc:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Man, the Batwoman set is a magnet for spinal injuries.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I do not know how to feel about tonight's episode but I will say it sure was interesting, which is more than I can say for drat near the entire show up to this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ugh I HAAAATE the flashbacks in this show.

I do love they got proper Scarecrow Brand Fear Toxin though. You don't want to go with the Kirkland Brand, the results can be underwhelming.

Haha, I take it back, Beth roasting the mother with her O2 tank was pretty awesome.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 16, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's a bunch of water bottles and Kate's handing him a glass like this scene isn't the most cliche thing.

Abusive and trying old mother is also cliche and while it's generally endearing for the one abused, it Alice are already less than pitable to it ends up more tiresome than anything since part of the whole season is debating over whether she should be redeemed or not and while other villains have arguably become redeemed, it's usually through acts of heroism and self-sacrifice for the heroes and also hamming it up with gags (i.e. Snart, Mick, Damien Dahrk, and Malcom)

Edit: what an amazing needle that doesn't even leave a bit of a hole in Alice's clothes after piercing through

Edit2: The sisterly swig is good though. The part of the preview that looked good was Alice goofing around and their dad telling her to knock it off and if this was a different show, we'd have probably gotten more of a story of a vigilante daughter and her somewhat unhinged sister fighting crime while their dad QBs. But at the moment we have this instead. It's a shame Ollie isn't around to help talk Kate through how to deal with killing a person though. Barry's never done it in cold blood and Kara would obviously be aghast.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 16, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'd say Kate was under mental duress when she killed him. No judge would convict.

Also super hero 101 should be "if you have a villain captured and they want ONE thing, never, ever give it to them. It does no matter, that one thing they want to do is always involved with their escape or something".

Multiple times on this show the heroes have given the villain something innocent that they use to escape and cause carnage.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Also super hero 101 should be "if you have a villain captured and they want ONE thing, never, ever give it to them. It does no matter, that one thing they want to do is always involved with their escape or something".

The Joker did almost the exact same thing to Black Mask in the DC animated movie Batman Under The Red Hood. The Joker is in a specialized prison, and Black Mask sets up a special face to face meeting with him where Joker is eating a bag of chips, asks for some water, and he uses the glass to cut the throat of the guard that gave him the water, then takes his gun and shoots all the other guards in the room.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Okay, seriously, isn't the bat signal on top of GCPD? I get that the GCPD is underfunded, but after the third or fourth time Alice wanders up there and turns on a beacon that all of Gotham can see, they should probably change the locks or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ubik_Lives posted:

Okay, seriously, isn't the bat signal on top of GCPD? I get that the GCPD is underfunded, but after the third or fourth time Alice wanders up there and turns on a beacon that all of Gotham can see, they should probably change the locks or something.

Or like, set a trap.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ubik_Lives posted:

It just seemed to be on some random rooftop in Elseworlds when Barry, Kara and Ollie found it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m digging the Kate/Alyce team up

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yea this has been the best Alice so far.

Also, Luke, seriously, that man is totally innocent, don't feel bad about him being freed. Use your amazing intelligence and deductive powers to find the real killer.

Oh poo poo, I should have expected that. Well, that will put Luke on the proper trail. God I hope Alice and Mouse are over at the end of this episode, and the rest of the season is "Who killed Lucius Fox".

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 23, 2020

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Depending how long ago it happened I expect Batman would have been pretty focused on solving his friend and mentor's murder, and this fairly shoddy cover-up job wouldn't have held up to his scrutiny. How were the Crows the only ones looking into it?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If it's a corrupt Crows investigation I figure it's supposed to be after Bruce's disappearance?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

But Lucius died the day Luke got into MIT, and presumably Luke has since gone to and graduated from MIT, right?

So many things about the Crows make more sense if Batman has been gone for at least a decade instead of just three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although it is kind of bullshit that Bruce didn't come back, especially with the weird details like no footage and the guy claiming he was knocked out and woke up with the gun in his hand. I have to imagine that Bruce will eventually show up down the line since you don't have a big mystery like that and never address it.