Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

First run after the update installed resulted in my first win!

It was a bit of a random mishmash boon selection without too much synergy but my main attack ended up being really strong, carrying me through, plus getting Blizzard Shot right before the fight with Hades really helped as well. At least now I have a clue what you're all going on about when you talk about "heat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jossar posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait to start a run in the new update!

*the first room, Poseidon appears instead of my expected Artemis boon*

Poseidon: "Have you heard the good word about FISHING, Nephew?"

Can't complain, got like seven fish on my first run.

Do fish spawn anywhere in the third biome? There are fishing spots in the other three but I don't think I've even seen a spot in that misty stuff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Can't complain, got like seven fish on my first run.

Do fish spawn anywhere in the third biome? There are fishing spots in the other three but I don't think I've even seen a spot in that misty stuff.

Yes but it's basically impossible to see them.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Fish can spawn in the chaos zone too, but it's super, super rare. Too rare imo, I'm at like 80 runs and have only gotten one chaos fish, and I make a point to look every time.

They give better rewards like ambrosia though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've still never seen a chaos fish

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Guessing that's maybe what the new poseidon fish boon is supposed to help with. Although I'm starting to think that between the 'get more loot' boon and the 'get a pile of stuff now' boon and now this 'get more fish so you can get more loot later' boon that poseidon may have a little too much utility stacked on him. It would suck to be going for some kind of poseidon build but never getting there because you just keep getting utility buffs offered.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

first run with the new sword, you're gonna eat a LOT of damage, athena dash or attack are mandatory. its whole ability is based on you taking damage, but only a little? in my experience a little always adds up to a lot over time. At that point its a race to get to Hades before you die, you're going to spend some death defied on non-boss encounters.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Found a neat little trick with the Talos fists. The uppercut's debuff is applied by the initial pull, the hit afterward isn't necessary, and you can cancel it into dash. So you can pull > dash backward > cast to skip the uppercut and get straight to that meaty boosted cast damage. You can also pull > dash strike and then go nuts with the boosted attack damage.

From what I can tell, the pull always does 20 damage, even if you have a boon that should boost it. It also didn't apply rupture, I assume the same is true of every status effect.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Fists are good but even shorter range than the sword. Arthur sword is super good. If you dash strike mid-combo it keeps your combo, so you can get hit 2 of the basic combo which is the broad sweep (at least that I checked) rather than the dash poke.

Shield also slows enemies/projectiles.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still can't get the new sword to unlock. :smith:

I suicided like 10 times to get more Nyx dialogue but now she's just spitting canned "see you later" lines.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Can't wait to try the new content / weapon tonight!

Is it still the usual conclusion after you beat the Final Boss?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PotatoManJack posted:

still no proper ending.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Got a fist clear, but not a fan so far. Thinking I could have picked better boons. Most of the other changes seem good. It feels like the drop rates are all over the place since they messed with the mirror, but that could just be my impression from not ideal runs.

I can't get the new sword aspect or other stuff to trigger either. Anybody know what sets it off?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Yes. The developers say there is going to be a proper ending when the game releases for real.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I don't know if it's just lovely luck with boons or I'm building it wrong or what but the damage on the fists feels absolutely anemic to me especially for a melee weapon

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Go Artemis Fists - specifically normal attack and seeking arrows - and laugh as you melt through everything so quickly that boss phases look like they're glitching.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Go Artemis Fists - specifically normal attack and seeking arrows - and laugh as you melt through everything so quickly that boss phases look like they're glitching.

had that when I cleared it with the the fists. kind of absurd. machine gun poo poo. brap brap pew pew, the arrows blot out the sun. :hmbol:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kanos posted:

Go Artemis Fists - specifically normal attack and seeking arrows

that's exactly what i did and they still sucked. plus rail does the same thing but better, and at range

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

that's exactly what i did and they still sucked. plus rail does the same thing but better, and at range

Rail is my main weapon with most of my clears and my very first fists win was 10 minutes faster than my best Rail win, and I'm total dogshit garbage at every melee weapon in this game. :shrug:

Are you dash canceling your combos on your fists? If you don't dash cancel at the end of each 5 hit string you get juddery slow combos as opposed to the infinite barrage of Fist of the North Star Death. Seeking arrows on the fists come out so fast that it actually starts cluttering the screen and making it difficult to see.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 11, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you have the opportunity to chill-kill Hades with the Demeter legendary, do so! It's even better this patch!

PotatoManJack posted:

He cannot kill me like this every time, believes the Underworld Prince. He shall eventually have no more ideas. But the Prince, as often is the case, is wrong.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I've still never seen a chaos fish
I saw my second in like 150 games of chasing every Chaos trapdoor in the first post-patch run with Poseidon's fish bonus

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Have to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed in the fists. I was hoping for another ranged weapon and this is like, the exact opposite. Managed to eek out a 21 heat win on my third try but its only cause I went demeter for chill and got the ranged upgrade. Felt like I was throwing snowballs rather than punches.

Not sure why they nerfed Hell mode either. You get 3 revives now rather than 2 which makes the game WAY easier. Also not sure what the new use for darkness is supposed to be.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Also not sure what the new use for darkness is supposed to be.

it's the new mirror abilities

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I stacked a bunch of Dodge and I don't think it works against Hades's big telegraphed attacks.

I had 15% from the fists, 50% from the new Dodge, and 40% from using calls. Never saw it trigger.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Hell mode was unchanged? You've always had 3 revives at least since I started my save with the Demeter update.

The only true difference with Hell Mode is the forced punishment, and mostly the Hell Mode exclusive one Personal Liability that removes your iframes on getting hit so it's a lot easier to die to a chain of damage.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 11, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I kinda feel that Hell Mode is kinda in Limbo now (ba-dum tish) as the devs couldn't quite figure out what to do with it, it was just important to get it out since there where so many EA players who'd finished all possible grind. It's probably going to get a much stronger look-at near or post release, as it's clearly not fleshed out yet.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Hypnos’ new model/animations are pretty great. :3:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes but it's basically impossible to see them.

After you clear a room (or enter a non-combat room) and you hear a little 'ding', like a very small bell, not a resounding 'bong', that means there's a fishing spot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You can give a nickname to the hydra :3:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Man do I love the fists, with them I got my shortest clear yet of 22 minutes.

Incidentally, has anyone figured out how to unlock the administrative chamber?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a big fan of the new alternative to privileged status. Assuming I understand it, it's just so much lower maintenance to use. There's also a lot of boons that got much better now that we aren't wedded to status effects, and Artemis gets ridiculous.

After four runs, I really like the fists. Can't imagine switching away from Zag Aspect, but that's how I felt about all the other aspects for everything until other people talked them up.

How do you get Excalibur? Just keep talking to Nyx? Or is it Chaos or Orpheus or somebody?

dmboogie posted:

Man do I love the fists, with them I got my shortest clear yet of 22 minutes.

Incidentally, has anyone figured out how to unlock the administrative chamber?

Sleep.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Does nothing? Why couldn't it just be there after a run like the new weapon? :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fat Samurai posted:

You can give a nickname to the hydra :3:

check out its name under the health bar in future runs :kimchi:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, for the next update they'll be giving Charon a detailed character portrait.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have fists, but I have no idea how to unlock the 4th aspect of the Spear. Do I need to win/die more with it or what? I'm like four runs in currently.

That said, fists are fun. Like a higher damage sword so far. GET OVER HERE

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is nobody else kinda surprised at Nyx's portrait being so... boob-y? I know we've been talking to a hooded placeholder for ages, but the voice acting has always been so maternal that it's kinda startling to see what they came up with.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, there are entire sections of the Internet that don't find those aspects conflicting...

Shitposting aside, if you guys are underwhelmed by FIST, I'd like to recommend Demeter Aspect and trying for the usual crit build stuff (lots of Artemis, Athena dash, the works). Fist Special is really good by default since you can combo into it from your starting punch flurry, which is ridiculously fast. Just go around erasing smaller threats until you charge your special and then delete something big! It's got some AoE too, so if you time it right you can delete two or more enemies, and if you get the kick upgrade you just go around kicking the living poo poo outta everything.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Serephina posted:

Is nobody else kinda surprised at Nyx's portrait being so... boob-y? I know we've been talking to a hooded placeholder for ages, but the voice acting has always been so maternal that it's kinda startling to see what they came up with.

STEPMOTHER I'M STUCK!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what do you all like aspect-wise for Coronacht (bow)? I used to enjoy Hera but with the patch I switched to Stygian Soul and refuse to look back; idk how well that would even work with that aspect now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Magus42 posted:

Does nothing? Why couldn't it just be there after a run like the new weapon? :)

Sleep in your room to trigger the dream then you buy access from the contractor. It was 3 diamonds, I think.

Serephina posted:

I thought her look was questionable too. I mean, the art is good. But not really appropriate unless we're going to get a guest appearance from the shade of Oedipus Rex at some point.