Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Welp got my commercial flight tickets. Bon journo or whatevs.

Commercial is way more likely to get you there than rotator. Rotator is the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

Commercial is way more likely to get you there than rotator. Rotator is the loving worst.

Curious how the nation wide lockdown is gonna affect this.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Just cough a bunch when you get there. They should let you right in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah really. Have you touched based with the unit you're reporting to? The AF units are basically writing people off who aren't in the very local area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flight still on at 930

Cancelled at 1030

Alternative route planned to get me to my ship that’s not in Naples.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Mt Whitney is in Gaeta, a little beach town halfway between Naples and Rome. Much nicer than Naples, if small and with "less to do." In spite of being closer to Rome, it might take a little longer to get there by train than from Naples bc you can only catch the slow local train rather than the faster IC and bullet train

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

Mt Whitney is in Gaeta, a little beach town halfway between Naples and Rome. Much nicer than Naples, if small and with "less to do." In spite of being closer to Rome, it might take a little longer to get there by train than from Naples bc you can only catch the slow local train rather than the faster IC and bullet train

Mt Whitney got cancelled. My spoopy USNS is ready. I just mailed home my dress blues as my welcome aboard package said not to bring them. I had only needed them for the flag ship.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Oh, then I have no idea where you're going either lol good luck buddy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

Oh, then I have no idea where you're going either lol good luck buddy

Croatia.

It is a mystery.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Good luck and God speed sailor

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck. Exactly as I would predict from the Navy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck. Exactly as I would predict from the Navy.

Yeah, but this is about as good as it could be. The most .mil way to do it would've been let him fly to Italy, get locked in place for several days because the cops are blocking roads, and force him to take leave while he's late to report in. THEN fly him somewhere else to bounce over to the ship, infecting people all the way because he got it but isn't symptomatic yet.

This resolution, ridiculous as it is, shows that someone was paying attention.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lol stand by to stand by

“Flying you out on Friday to Europe. Gonna go around Italy.”

By Friday it’s gonna be raging all over the rest of Europe hah.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I love the response post to me, which was totally reasonable, being blown up by the Navy in the next post. Like, in the grand scheme of things, who cares or needs the reserve sailors? (Not to be rude) I only ever saw them get gently caress jobs and cleaning and painting for two weeks. Let the reserves take this summer off. Or mobilize them to help with dispersion of goods and medicine in a month.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I love the response post to me, which was totally reasonable, being blown up by the Navy in the next post. Like, in the grand scheme of things, who cares or needs the reserve sailors? (Not to be rude) I only ever saw them get gently caress jobs and cleaning and painting for two weeks. Let the reserves take this summer off. Or mobilize them to help with dispersion of goods and medicine in a month.

Oh I’m being mobilized for 300 days not AT and the ship I’m joining only has active duty senior enlisted. Everyone else is reservists and merchant marines.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Let the reserves take this summer off.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1238300491509043200?s=20

Story time, when we were off the coast of Haiti after the 2010 earthquake and I got tagged to help the Flag Writer for the one-star who embarked. My N2 was my editor and I wrote some closing statement to a BZ note to some random ship that was detached to help about being a "global force for good". She was like, "yeah, this is good but I don't know about this 'global force for good' thing, seems a bit hokey. I had to explain that, no, actually this is what Navy PAOs thought was a good idea.

Good times.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
When sequestration ate our 2013 deployment my buddy made a "local force for good" CONUS deployment patch for the air wing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We always understood it as “A global force. For good.” As in we aren’t ever leaving and will continue to occupy your waters/nation.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Wingnut Ninja posted:

When sequestration ate our 2013 deployment my buddy made a "local force for good" CONUS deployment patch for the air wing.

Lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

All travel to Europe has been cancelled until further notice. I have to talk to USFF about options but for now please plan to be in Norfolk until further notice. For hotel planning, I recommend reserving your room for two more weeks.

Welp gently caress me im stuck in Virginia Beach.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

All travel to Europe has been cancelled until further notice. I have to talk to USFF about options but for now please plan to be in Norfolk until further notice. For hotel planning, I recommend reserving your room for two more weeks.

You need to make a MOB shirt at the end of "I was supposed to go to the MED but all I got was Norfolk". A true active duty experience of dealing with your detailer

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I just ran a search for you on Hyatt - on a government rate, for two weeks, the Hyatt House Oceanfront is $98/night and every room overlooks the ocean. If you're gonna be stuck in VA Beach, might as well stay somewhere where you aren't forced to look at any of it.

I think they might even give 10% off additionally for military.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just ran a search for you on Hyatt - on a government rate, for two weeks, the Hyatt House Oceanfront is $98/night and every room overlooks the ocean. If you're gonna be stuck in VA Beach, might as well stay somewhere where you aren't forced to look at any of it.

I think they might even give 10% off additionally for military.

Oh I got cottages at dam neck which are beach front bungalows. There’s a small pond with bass in it I could go tool around for. Every thing really depends if they make us do anything during the week or just forget about us all.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
All it took was a global pandemic to end crab mans run of everything going right for him in the reserves.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

All it took was a global pandemic to end crab mans run of everything going right for him in the reserves.

I’m still getting payed to sit here and do nothing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m still getting payed to sit here and do nothing.
Reserves.txt

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
In non-coronavirus related news, I have received an omen. A portent. A sign.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Great job bringing up the rear Sailor.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Great job bringing up the rear Sailor.

LAST SAILOR!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Bummer crabguy, I hoped I'd see you in foggy London town.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Bummer crabguy, I hoped I'd see you in foggy London town.

Ooh thanks for saying that. Love meeting you guys wherever I go.

Just filled out my travel claim. Holy poo poo the reserves actually does it 100% better than active.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Everyone at NASWI is getting antsy about the Coronavirus since we're right next door to all the counties in Washington having outbreaks. Considering the school district for the island put out a 4 page press release about their plans for if they have to close for a few weeks, thats looking pretty near.

Bigger question is what the base will do since it seems allergic to shutting down when common sense would say for the "love of god keep people at home."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hell, we've got a contingent of Italians here and nobody's doing poo poo.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well looks like things are getting interesting...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
So lets say you're on leave somewhere right now--can you receive TAD orders (that shouldn't be able to be approved) to a nearby unit or are you going to be forced to take more leave?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

So lets say you're on leave somewhere right now--can you receive TAD orders (that shouldn't be able to be approved) to a nearby unit or are you going to be forced to take more leave?

Think about how the Navy could screw you and there's the answer

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

:lol:

My e-5 exam I came in .01 under the multiple. Turned out the guy that did the points for rewards left out 2.0 of my points. After a recount I got the rank, and got out a few months later. FTN.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So... there's an air wing in Fallon right now. I've got two guys farmed out with them. Is there any provision for getting people back from TAD travel? Or does that air wing just... live in Fallon now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So... there's an air wing in Fallon right now. I've got two guys farmed out with them. Is there any provision for getting people back from TAD travel? Or does that air wing just... live in Fallon now?

Return from TDY is authorized.