Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
edit: nm not worth it

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
This will be my third election of which the democratic party has chosen an uninspiring centrist candidate that has, or will likely eat poo poo in the general election.

Its getting real hard to look at "managed decline" as the best option and pull the lever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sacrist65 posted:

This will be my third election of which the democratic party has chosen an uninspiring centrist candidate that has, or will likely eat poo poo in the general election.

Its getting real hard to look at "managed decline" as the best option and pull the lever.

Kerry and Hillary?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You don't make that issue a major talking point. Save it for reelection. You need to pull out all the stops on this one because the alternative is Donald Trump as a second term president and continued GOP control of the Senate and PROBABLY a supermajority on the Supreme Court. Every day I'm waiting for Joe to have his "deplorables" or "put all the coal miners out of work" moment, and this might be one of them.

What you’re describing is a tactic to do some mix of either lying, lying by omission and refusal to engage (often wise), or by attempting to appeal to people who are not actually single-issue.

“I’m pro-choice, but I won’t make
that a major issue,” does not win over hardcore single-issue anti-choice voters.

“Look, I want to talk about jobs,” in response to being asked about government abortion law is a misdirection that amounts to lying by omission if directly asked about a stance on choice. It might be a wise move, but it falls in the category of being coldly dishonest for your perceived political greater good, which is not a bad idea!

Maaaaybe it could work to say “aw, shucks that darn SCOTUS!” But that is 95%+ of the time a way to pass the buck and refuse to answer with honestly about one’s views or plans.

Single issue voters who are truly single issue are best just ignored in the scheme of things, because the only way to get their vote is either to agree with them, be dishonest with them, or maybe to be the “least worst” left over candidate for them. There are places a Democrat can be “least worst,” but something like abortion rights isn’t it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

At least make sure to show up for the down ballot votes yall

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody who has ever flown is against abortion

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sacrist65 posted:

The way I tend to see things:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1237636407432220673?s=19

Listen to black voters. They've seen the worst there is to see about America, over and over again, but they keep coming back to vote, over and over again.

There are a lot of people seeing a race where somehow the omnipotent and all-powerful DNC (lol) rigged the thing. Maybe, but the bottom line is that Biden basically wrapped this thing up on the strength of black voters. Black voters didn't want Bernie or anyone else, they wanted Biden, and rank-and-file black voters call the shots in the Democratic party.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 11, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The best way I've seen it explained is that Biden served under a Black President for eight years without trying to usurp him or make him look bad. And that speaks volumes to black voters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Biden has terminal Boomer-brain and it's going to screw over the world. I don't know how it is possible to have a literal front row seat in the Oval Office for eight years watching Obama get rat-hosed and come away from it with the idea that we need to restore the judicial filibuster for them to abuse again and just be nicer to the Nazi party so they'll come to their senses.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

not caring here posted:

The old might all be dead by december as the infected number in the US for COVID 19 is now over 1000.

I'm beginning to think that taking a 100% commission-based job that involves interacting with dozens of people on a daily basis just as a global hyper-virulent pandemic is ramping up might not have been the brightest decision I've ever made.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm beginning to think that taking a 100% commission-based job that involves interacting with dozens of people on a daily basis just as a global hyper-virulent pandemic is ramping up might not have been the brightest decision I've ever made.

you'll be fine as long as you get in early to reserve a space on one of the $50,000 per day breathing machines and have enough savings or paid sick leave to cover your rent while you're on it for 6 weeks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

Biden has terminal Boomer-brain and it's going to screw over the world. I don't know how it is possible to have a literal front row seat in the Oval Office for eight years watching Obama get rat-hosed and come away from it with the idea that we need to restore the judicial filibuster for them to abuse again and just be nicer to the Nazi party so they'll come to their senses.

I really want to know where "Biden will restore the judicial filibuster" came from because the most I can find is a single person saying one of his surrogates supports it, and nothing from the campaign or the man itself.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Sorry guys, we're all wrong about this. Joe Biden is actually far too spicy for the coveted centrist Democrat vote, he needs some watering down!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/11/opinion/moderate-joe-biden-has-moved-way-to-left

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 11, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Quote is not edit

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

egyptian rat race posted:

Sorry guys, we're all wrong about this. Joe Biden is actually far too spicy for the coveted centrist Democrat vote, he needs some watering down!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/11/opinion/moderate-joe-biden-has-moved-way-to-left

I mean, the article isn't wrong. Biden is running as a moderate consensus Democrat, but (thanks in large part to Sanders) the party has moved significantly to the left on a large number of issues. He's not nearly as good as Sanders would be in most respects, but he'd also go further than Obama, and (arguably) would be more successful in getting his platform through Congress. (Granted he doesn't support ending the filibuster, but neither does Sanders) should have voted for Warren you jerks <:mad:>

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The tox for never voting for Biden thread in cspam is up to 22 pages

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Abongination posted:

Hopefully they are a mix of A: still voting downticket or B: posting from states that were never in contention to begin with.

It’s easy to bravely write in your favorite Pokemon when living in B.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Abongination posted:

Christ what a bunch of crunchy nutters.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’m going to be even more unhappy voting for Biden than I was when I voted for Hillary. I know Fairfax county carries the state of Virginia, but I don’t remember it being convincingly blue in 2016.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I really want to know where "Biden will restore the judicial filibuster" came from because the most I can find is a single person saying one of his surrogates supports it, and nothing from the campaign or the man itself.

Yeah, I've seen gently caress nothing about this, and I've been combing pages and pages of news/websites.

EDIT: And yeah Hillary would have objectively been a better president than Biden.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Christ what a bunch of crunchy nutters.

I couldn't think of a funny allusion to flipping the script on the ol "running a candidate to appeal to "economically anxious" rightwing/centrist" joke, but if you could bear with me and pretend that I did I would be gracious.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Abongination posted:

Everyone's mad right now, so that's not too surprising. The trouble is that I don't know of an argument that works to get those people back. Even potentially Bernie telling them HEY, VOTE FOR BIDEN isn't necessarily effective.

I mean, I'd sure as gently caress be more comfortable with Biden choosing RBG's successor. But the anger where people are right now, they're more like gently caress IT, LET IT ALL BURN regardless if they're the one that would get caught on fire in said burning.

That said, 30% of The Youngs went Trump (more than I thought!), with like ~10% to third parties, so the bleedoff might be normal.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1237728235573690370?s=19

Obama's first against McCain was 66/32, and 60/37 against Romney.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

facialimpediment posted:

The way I tend to see things:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1237636407432220673?s=19

Listen to black voters. They've seen the worst there is to see about America, over and over again, but they keep coming back to vote, over and over again.

There are a lot of people seeing a race where somehow the omnipotent and all-powerful DNC (lol) rigged the thing. Maybe, but the bottom line is that Biden basically wrapped this thing up on the strength of black voters. Black voters didn't want Bernie or anyone else, they wanted Biden, and rank-and-file black voters call the shots in the Democratic party.

Uh ok... Black voters may have seen the worst there is about America and keep coming out to vote in force (only 10% of the voting populace) but don’t think that this actually means that their decisions are any more nuanced or less influenced by establishment propaganda or media manipulation than any other block.

As an actual “black voter” myself, I find it incredibly frustrating and annoying that black boomers in *southern states* (that almost always go overwhelmingly red in the general election anyways!!!), are the “firewall” that dictates who the democrats usually put up in the General. In this case all it took was Biden’s camp sucking off Jim Clyburn (literal DNC establishment) in SC for his endorsement and all the old black folk fell in line because they were told to at the last minute, not because they were actually informed voters waiting in the wings and frothing at the bit for their chance to vote for him. Then add in some “strategic” campaign drop outs and immediate endorsements by Buttigieg and Klobuchar plus the equivalent of ~$75M in free advertising on the news networks for Biden tacitly implying that he is now the DNC’s anointed one in the 2 days leading up to Super Tuesday and that’s exactly why Biden went from practically a non-entity as far as the first 3 primary states to the front runner.

Joe “O’Biden-Bama Democrat” Biden, a staunch centrist who can now barely remember Obama’s name, is going to coast into the General election because he was the token white guy VP for his black boss who happened to be the president and therefore he’s invited to the cook out y’all - Jim Clyburn vouched for him! Btw black folk, please don’t actually research his voting record RE: Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas, voting for the war in Iraq, being the architect of the crime bill that overwhelmingly incarcerated black men who almost always tended to receive harsher sentences than white offenders, having an antiquated war on drugs stance, an unsurprising reticence to increase taxes on the billionaires and their corporations who are backing him... I could go on, but... :shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not very hot but reasonable take:

https://twitter.com/asteadwesley/status/1237547207194079233?s=21

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Democrat base is old conservatives and well good luck with that

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Ragaman posted:

I could go on, but... :shrug:

Outside of me leaving out the generation gap stuff - Black Boomer sounds like an RPG boss that will kill everyone with a bigass cannon firing collard greens.

Edit: yeah, sorry :v:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

^^^ loving yikes

I really fail to see why Biden is so adored by African Americans, dude is an old white guy who has voted many times against African American interests, the only thing he really has to his name in the positive column is "was Obama's VP". He voted for a crime bill that saw disproportionate usage against African Americans with longer sentences associated with those crimes, has a regressive stance on the "war on drugs", he opposed busing of black students into white districts during desegregation, loving pushing for BAPCA, which prevents anyone who can't scrape together $2500 cash from filing bankruptcy, completely removing the prospect of the people who need to file for bankruptcy most from filing for it.

But poo poo I guess he's invited to the cook out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 11, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Outside of me leaving out the generation gap stuff - Black Boomer sounds like an RPG boss that will kill everyone with a bigass cannon firing collard greens.

:yikes:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

orange juche posted:

I really fail to see why Biden is so adored by African Americans, dude is an old white guy who has voted many times against African American interests, the only thing he really has to his name in the positive column is "was Obama's VP". He voted for a crime bill that saw disproportionate usage against African Americans with longer sentences associated with those crimes, has a regressive stance on the "war on drugs", he opposed busing of black students into white districts during desegregation, loving pushing for BAPCA, which prevents anyone who can't scrape together $2500 cash from filing bankruptcy, completely removing the prospect of the people who need to file for bankruptcy most from filing for it.

Pod Save America guys were talking about older black voters trying to be pragmatic about their vote, re: who is most likely to win and who is most likely to secure the white vote.

IDK how true that is, but it was one point of speculation.

EDIT: To be clear, they didn't think it was a case of 'Biden is adored.' It's in their most recent episode, and they sum it up better than I can.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 11, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It turns out that historically he has done what the black population at the time supported. For decades, even if it's not popular later.

So how long is like a reasonable amount of time for people to do this petulant hissy fit thing? I've got a couple of IRL dudes that are really turned out over this primary. Like gonna lose their jobs if they don't get it together. I'm trying to be understanding and giving people time to mourn for the candidate but we are grown ups.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird cooch posted:

It turns out that historically he has done what the black population at the time supported. For decades, even if it's not popular later.

So how long is like a reasonable amount of time for people to do this petulant hissy fit thing? I've got a couple of IRL dudes that are really turned out over this primary. Like gonna lose their jobs if they don't get it together. I'm trying to be understanding and giving people time to mourn for the candidate but we are grown ups act like it.

What black population thought at the time that busing was a bad idea? What black population thought that too many people who were down on their luck were filing for bankruptcy, during the economic downturn in the mid 2000s that was beating the poo poo out of the middle class and poor? What black population thought that it was cool to massively escalate the "war on drugs" in the 90s, resulting in hundreds of thousands of black men being incarcerated for nonviolent offenses for outsized amounts of time, literally inventing mandatory minimum sentencing for drug offenses?

Is your take one of those "Biden just knows better than black people did at the time?"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

^^^ loving yikes

It's because a lot of them (like most voters of all races) are not high info voters, but vote based on feelings and gut. They saw him support Obama and be okay with playing second fiddle to a black man. As that tweet several pages ago said, that was huge.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

orange juche posted:

What black population thought at the time that busing was a bad idea? What black population thought that too many people who were down on their luck were filing for bankruptcy, during the economic downturn in the mid 2000s that was beating the poo poo out of the middle class and poor?

I mean you could Google it and read any of these articles written by scholars and not Sanders supporters, or I can paraphrase them for you

Bussing was very unpopular, it was a pride thing. The crime bills were very popular. bankruptcy whatever whatever whatever you're talkin about is stupid whatever I don't know what it is

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Eh, can't all be zingers. Sorry. Bottom line, boomers suck, regardless of race/gender/creed/etc.

https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/1237508423270273024?s=19

But, can I say that there's likely going to be a governmental task force armed with power drills threatening to break legs for social media posts in Jersey? Lot of random Facebook posters going to fall down stairs in freak "accidents".

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 11, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bird cooch posted:

So how long is like a reasonable amount of time for people to do this petulant hissy fit thing? I've got a couple of IRL dudes that are really turned out over this primary. Like gonna lose their jobs if they don't get it together. I'm trying to be understanding and giving people time to mourn for the candidate but we are grown ups.

The “petulant hissy fit” of... hating an incoherent centrist who won’t commit to improving anything

I just don’t understand why nobody under 40 is voting guys

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Internet Wizard posted:

The “petulant hissy fit” of... hating an incoherent centrist who won’t commit to improving anything

Wake me up when it's time for a revolution.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
To be fair, if I saw a dude VP not tripping all over his dick to correct/speak for/undermine a woman president, it'd make an impression. Same, re: telling the more vile commentators to shut up and listen rather than mansplaining all her points to make it more palatable.

Not the same thing, but yeah. It'd leave an impression.

EDIT:

Internet Wizard posted:

I wouldn't have phrased it the same way, but 'petulant hissy fit' is how it felt when the 2016 election came to a close. For me personally, anyway. I'd be lying if I said it didn't permanently cast Bernie supporters in an ill light, especially when 'I refused to vote' came up. Probably would've felt the same if something similar had happened in 2008, re: Obama getting washed out of the general because of Clinton holdouts.

It is legitimately disheartening to think that, like, I mean. Yeah, centrists loving suck. Biden remains my last choice, as I've said before. But I would rather people move to self arrest for my sake and others', and commit to primarying all of the succdems, one after the other, as President Do-Nothing spins his wheels in a way that isn't actively hateful towards marginalized groups.

Maybe that's a bit too whiny or w/e, but there it is.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 11, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’ll vote for Biden if he gets Corn Pop to be his VP. By all accounts he’s a real bad hombre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Internet Wizard posted:

What are you even trying to say here? We just had a bunch of primaries where the under 40s could've come out in droves to vote for an honest goddamned progressive... and it mostly didn't happen.