Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this is a post, not an article, but it has a link to wiki and i know you'll all just love it!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Have you ever heard of cryptococcal gattii? It is a fungal infection in humans. It infects the cerebrospinal fluid, causing sepsis and obstructive hydrocephalus and is often fatal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptococcus_gattii

Now, thing is, I took care of a lot of crypto patients in Texas. But they were always HIV/AIDS patients with immune systems that had become so compromised that fungus could set up shop in them. I mean, fungus DOES NOT usually infect healthy people, because it’s a weak sauce pathogen and our immune systems just bat it aside. They also nearly always had the other Cryptococcus neoformans species.

Come time I move back to the PNW a few years ago. I’ve taken care of at least 6 or so crypto gattii patients so far. A) it infects completely healthy people. B) it is a particularly select species that only seems to grow in the PNW and BC Canada. C) it comes from TREES. As in, you’re walking around some pleasant trees and you just happen to breathe in this fungus. Literally an M night Shyamalan plot. D) it kills nearly every one it infects. We use liposomal amphotericin (basically $10,000 dish detergent) to treat it. This medicine nearly always kills their kidneys, or the crypto becomes resistant. I’ve even had patients complete their course of amphotericin and survive, only for some tiny remnant of the crypto in their brain that had grown resistance come back a month later and absolutely destroy them.

It’s literally the worst drat thing I’ve ever seen. It’s super rare, basically like being struck by lightening. If you’re unlucky you’ll be walking through the forest and breathe in some of it and.. bam worst death ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hallelujah posted:

this is a post, not an article, but it has a link to wiki and i know you'll all just love it!

Blockchain fungus does sound like one of the worst ways to die

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

hallelujah posted:

IThey left out the part where patients get therapeutic spinal taps if the bug gets in the nervous system, which it does pretty regularly. Every single day, 6 inch needle in the back to drain the fluid and relieve pressure on the brain, at least until their csf pressure normalizes.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Netflix is releasing a documentary about crazy person/mass tiger murderer Joe Exotic and no one even called me for an interview. Assholes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rhandhali posted:

IThey left out the part where patients get therapeutic spinal taps if the bug gets in the nervous system, which it does pretty regularly. Every single day, 6 inch needle in the back to drain the fluid and relieve pressure on the brain, at least until their csf pressure normalizes.

I understand this fits the definition of "therapeutic" but I'm so used to like, massage and candles under that heading. I'm trying to imagine laying back in a bubble bath and relaxing into the massive needle in my spine

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Untrustable posted:

Netflix is releasing a documentary about crazy person/mass tiger murderer Joe Exotic and no one even called me for an interview. Assholes.

You knew him? I remember first seeing stuff about him on a Louis Theroux documentary.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I worked for his travelling magic and tiger show when I was fresh out of high school. poo poo was bonkers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

I worked for his travelling magic and tiger show when I was fresh out of high school. poo poo was bonkers.

Go on :allears:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Untrustable posted:

Are you the one that told the story of the line of clowns trudging back from a convenience store or something like that?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you the one that told the story of the line of clowns trudging back from a convenience store or something like that?

OK, I have got to hear this.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've posted about it in a lot of threads, but Joe Exotic was and is a crazy person. I answered a Craigslist ad and drove over a hundred miles under the promise of "seeing the country". It ended up being more like:

- Clowns on a death march through the snow to buy liquor.
- A kangaroo beat a man to death (I can't prove he was dead but I never saw him after the dust-up).
- 6-10 people in one hotel room at every stop of the tour
- Massive amounts of undocumented immigrants and kids right out of high school working jobs they weren't qualified to even be close to doing
- got attacked by a lion (it was a month old, so I didn't get injured or anything)
- got into a physical confrontation over who got to sleep in the sleeper cab of the semi that hauled all the circus equipment
- Almost got my rear end beat by the Amish
- Left in Markham, Illinois in the winter because the tour ran out of money
- Cut up cow carcasses with a chainsaw to feed lions, which is messy and disgusting work

Pastry of the Year posted:

OK, I have got to hear this.

Untrustable posted:

I have a lot of stories, but I'll tell you the clown story.

We were in Davidson (?), Illinois staying at a cheap no tell motel where staff got stuffed 8-10 to a room while Joe stayed in the tour bus with his boys. We had just gotten back from almost 24 hours at the local mall doing magic shows on the hour and showing off tigers in collapsible cages in-between. It was snowing like a motherfucker and I was perched on the balcony/second story walkway in a lawn chair smoking a cigarette when I saw the clowns.

The clowns were just ex-cons in their 50s-60s who wore clown makeup and were the hype men during the days at wherever we were stopped. They'd draw people out of the hustle and bustle of the mall towards the sad tiger shanty town we'd built in the middle of the mall (it was almost always malls or parking lots).

One big rule Joe Exotic had was NO ALCOHOL. I figure this stemmed from his brother dying via drunk driver. These old clowns had a helluva time with bottleache though, so whenever we'd get settled they would go straight for a liquor store or gas station. Since Joe was cozy in his tour bus, they wouldn't get caught. They didn't get out of costume or even wipe off the facepaint. They just threw on jackets and started walking. A line of 5 or 6 clowns in the snow, wandering towards the nearest bottle of KD. About an hour later I'm back on the balcony smoking and see these guys coming back. They're trudging through the snow, facepaint sloughing off, wearing clown clothes. Each one was carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag. They were walking single file. It is one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. Like some kind of horror movie death march. If I was artistically inclined I'd have already painted that strange tableau on black velvet and hung it in my living room.

Untrustable has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Mar 11, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Untrustable posted:

but Joe Exotic was and is a crazy person.

Ok this story does not seem plausible at all

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The thought of clowns marching forlornly through the snow while a chorus drones out "The Song of the Volga Boatmen" is just magical.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Untrustable posted:

Did you get interviewed for the podcast, which was insane.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

For some reason Joe Exotic reminds me of the guy who tried to hire a hitman for a big cat rescue org owner.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Uhhh yeah that's him.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Untrustable posted:

I've posted about it in a lot of threads, but Joe Exotic was and is a crazy person. I answered a Craigslist ad and drove over a hundred miles under the promise of "seeing the country". It ended up being more like:

- Clowns on a death march through the snow to buy liquor.
- A kangaroo beat a man to death (I can't prove he was dead but I never saw him after the dust-up).
- 6-10 people in one hotel room at every stop of the tour
- Massive amounts of undocumented immigrants and kids right out of high school working jobs they weren't qualified to even be close to doing
- got attacked by a lion (it was a month old, so I didn't get injured or anything)
- got into a physical confrontation over who got to sleep in the sleeper cab of the semi that hauled all the circus equipment
- Almost got my rear end beat by the Amish
- Left in Markham, Illinois in the winter because the tour ran out of money
- Cut up cow carcasses with a chainsaw to feed lions, which is messy and disgusting work
would you consider an ask/tell thread? because drat i want to know more, so much more

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dannywilson posted:

Uhhh yeah that's him.

IIRC the reason being she came out against his shows and using the Big Cat Rescue name and brand to promote them.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that was the same person. I just assumed there were multiple weird/crazy circus dudes RIP.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wtf the dude shot five tigers to "make room" for other animals.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Telsa Cola posted:

Yikes, really showing his stripes with that act

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Telsa Cola posted:

Tigers take up a lot of space

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It wasn’t called Small Cat Rescue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Looks like he was sentenced to 264 months in Federal Prison a couple months ago (killing the tigers + murder for hire). So 22 years with zero parole (no such thing for Federal Crimes) but he could get good behavior reductions.

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Tigers take up a lot of space

and they eat small children

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Proteus Jones posted:

Looks like he was sentenced to 264 months in Federal Prison a couple months ago (killing the tigers + murder for hire). So 22 years with zero parole (no such thing for Federal Crimes) but he could get good behavior reductions.

Somehow I wouldn’t bet on this dude exhibiting good behavior.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Yikes, really showing his stripes with that act

I loving loved this. Thank you.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I waited until whole series was completed to post this. There’s 5 parts to it. A megalomaniac tricks an aristocratic French family into doing everything he says, giving him most of their money, turns them all against each other and has them living in fear for over a decade, including having them assault and torture one another. Then he combusts spectacularly when he’s finally brought to court

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpQUkd-Gnc

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Mar 18, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proteus Jones posted:

Looks like he was sentenced to 264 months in Federal Prison a couple months ago (killing the tigers + murder for hire).
what an inefficient use of resources

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Proteus Jones posted:

He's not a toddler, just say 22 years

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

He's not a toddler, just say 22 years

Nah, that's just how people get sentenced, usually, with the total months.

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Grammarchist posted:

The thought of clowns marching forlornly through the snow while a chorus drones out "The Song of the Volga Boatmen" is just magical.

Had to speak up to applaud this absolutely brilliant and arty-as-gently caress choice for soundtrack!

This is my favorite version with the great Leonid Kharitonov. If you like your unnerving with a strong undercurrent of weltschmerz rather than horror, it classes up the experience of reading this whole thread, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNb54rwDQJM

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOXaFTH-ky0

If you've ever been curious about living in hell, you can always try a stay at le Vele di Scampia.

For almost 50 years this stood as one of Italy's most notorious locations. Beginning as a public housing project, and an idealistic one at that, these seven buildings were beset by a number of problems early on, like shifty contractors, an earthquake, and the growing presence of the Camorra (local mob). The result was a whole lot of poverty crammed into a little amount of space. But that's not all - this place is a veritable maze, made even more complex by the drug runners who want to evade police. As a result, even the military had reservations about storming the joint.

It's being destroyed now, but only after 25 years of lobbying from residents who are fed up. That's its own story - the first tower took eight attempts to bring down with dynamite, and then before they could get the majority of the sails down they ran out of money. For the next 15 years, le Vele di Scampia was a condemned hovel of squatters, drug addicts, helplessly impoverish and those who took advantage of the first three.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Golden Gael posted:

If you've ever been curious about living in hell, you can always try a stay at le Vele di Scampia.

For almost 50 years this stood as one of Italy's most notorious locations. Beginning as a public housing project, and an idealistic one at that, these seven buildings were beset by a number of problems early on, like shifty contractors, an earthquake, and the growing presence of the Camorra (local mob). The result was a whole lot of poverty crammed into a little amount of space. But that's not all - this place is a veritable maze, made even more complex by the drug runners who want to evade police. As a result, even the military had reservations about storming the joint.

It's being destroyed now, but only after 25 years of lobbying from residents who are fed up. That's its own story - the first tower took eight attempts to bring down with dynamite, and then before they could get the majority of the sails down they ran out of money. For the next 15 years, le Vele di Scampia was a condemned hovel of squatters, drug addicts, helplessly impoverish and those who took advantage of the first three.

:3:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I love Gamorrah

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok this story does not seem plausible at all

Would you say the poster is ......... untrustable?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Golden Gael posted:

It's not quite Kowloon Walled City, but it definitely has the same vibe.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I waited until whole series was completed to post this. There’s 5 parts to it. A megalomaniac tricks an aristocratic French family into doing everything he says, giving him most of their money, turns them all against each other and has them living in fear for over a decade, including having them assault and torture one another. Then he combusts spectacularly when he’s finally brought to court

Just finished watching this and his courtroom meltdown was just pure :staredog:. It always throws me for a loop at how can people fall for that level of batshittery. Falling for the Nigerian scams, I can see, but what this guy was telling them sounded like a bad Tom Clancy novel.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Very weird reading the last page of thread, forgetting about it then watching Tiger King on Netflix. Untrustable definitely should do an AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Aesop Poprock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpQUkd-Gnc

This was a total pro-click, thanks for posting it!

My husband walked in during episode three, listened for a bit, and finally asked "what the gently caress are you watching?" I just stared at him wide-eyed and :shrug:. "I don't know. I just don't know." That story is CRAZY.