Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

322k views lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu21wVnylLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know how to settle myself with the idea of not voting for Biden. I don't want to vote for Biden. I am talking myself into maybe having to vote for him if he gets the nomination, and not yet succeeding. And sure, I don't live in a swing state. Or at least one that will be pivotal - if this state swings we're looking at Mondale levels of humiliation. He's going to be absolute dogshit if he wins. But I can't bring myself to not vote for the only party's candidate that has a shot at doing literal anything by actually getting elected. I feel like an accelerationist when I think "well, there's only one person running I'd ever vote for, so I should write him in"

How have you all made your peace with that? I know this is a personal question so it's different for everyone. But I figure someone here has had the same issue. And I would like some help.

If what Sanders is doing can't win via the democratic primary, then electoral politics via the democratic party as exists now is a proven dead end and isn't worth worry about until some major change. If you want to work towards an electoral future, start working to create ana actual left party rather than try to reform the Democrats.

Voting for Biden isn't even harm reduction at this point

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know how to settle myself with the idea of not voting for Biden. I don't want to vote for Biden. I am talking myself into maybe having to vote for him if he gets the nomination, and not yet succeeding. And sure, I don't live in a swing state. Or at least one that will be pivotal - if this state swings we're looking at Mondale levels of humiliation. He's going to be absolute dogshit if he wins. But I can't bring myself to not vote for the only party's candidate that has a shot at doing literal anything by actually getting elected. I feel like an accelerationist when I think "well, there's only one person running I'd ever vote for, so I should write him in"

How have you all made your peace with that? I know this is a personal question so it's different for everyone. But I figure someone here has had the same issue. And I would like some help.

you're giving legitimacy to the democrats and the system at large if you vote for the guy that is most definitely gonna "compromise" with literal fascists and climate deniers dooming us and our children to a suffering we cannot image

the only moral choice is to resist

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Fun seeing Dems trying to scold people well Trump does this you gonna let that happen? Met with Biden did the same thing.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, I have. That's how I've gotten to the point where I'm talking myself into voting for him rather than out of voting for him.

Eh. We'd get marginally less lovely Supreme Court judges, marginally better environmental policy, and slightly fewer kids in cages. None of those are nearly good enough, but I don't know how to not feel complicit in the additional damage done by the current moron, you know?
the supreme court is a lost cause, it shouldn't even be on your radar

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, I have. That's how I've gotten to the point where I'm talking myself into voting for him rather than out of voting for him.

Eh. We'd get marginally less lovely Supreme Court judges, marginally better environmental policy, and slightly fewer kids in cages. None of those are nearly good enough, but I don't know how to not feel complicit in the additional damage done by the current moron, you know?

Incrementalism is designed to sap sentiment for change, not foster it. 4 more years of Trump mobilizing us is preferable to 8 to 16 years of total passivity

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Very marginal. Remember that Obama brought us the fracking boom and Biden is the right-wing hack they stuck him with so the oligarchs don't get nervous.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

It is worth repeating, Chris Hedges has been loving right about everything

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Also
"That's not unifying language"
"If you want to defeat trump you will need bernie voters"
"The youth didn't show up for Bernie, why would they show up for Biden?"
"Biden didn't need the youth vote"
"Dems already have a winning coalition"

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Qurnah posted:

you're giving legitimacy to the democrats and the system at large if you vote for the guy that is most definitely gonna "compromise" with literal fascists and climate deniers dooming us and our children to a suffering we cannot image

the only moral choice is to resist

Yeah the only way to get Dems out of this cycle is to have them get humiliated if they don’t stop. At some point the grift stops if they look like a rump party.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wed also get more middle east war a sabotaged peace process in korea and no funny presidential tweets

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like we actually have the Trump adminstration looking at m4a because of coronachan and Biden is still on tv going "i would veto it once, i would veto it twice, I'd veto it a third time, I'd veto it a 4th time and if it came up again I'd veto it then too"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have long advocated for "vote blue no matter who." I have argued that one has a duty to choose between the lesser of two evils. Two words changed my mind: "Manufactured consent." Voting is more than an act of acceptance. It's a sacred, sincere expression of one's desires. A vote must not be outright coerced. A vote must not be the result of propaganda alone. For it to be so is to poison democracy and every noble aspiration of society.
I will not consent to Joe Biden. I refuse. Beyond his open contempt for almost everything I believe, the simple fact is that he is suffering from dementia, and the DNC's efforts to pretend otherwise are tantamount to gaslighting. As much as I may be ready to compromise my own moral convictions in the face of Armageddon, I will not cast a vote for someone who is factually incapable of performing the duties of the office they are seeking.
For what it's worth, I think I would prefer Biden to win, but only because I do not believe that Trump would accept the loss, and that what he does then will be far more interesting and enjoyable than hearing him gloat.
This is a deeply personal decision I have made, and it will be deeply personal for you too. Whatever choice you reluctantly make, I for one will defend your right to self-determining what you do and don't consent to.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

If trump announces he plans of legalizing weed if he wins reelection, he will win in a walk

That may be Bidens only draw but he has a history of being against legalizing it

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trump has 99 ways to win and Biden ain't got one.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Either Biden loses and your vote for him didn't make a difference, or he wins. If Biden wins and does nothing or even worse does things that sounds like something, but is actually nothing or less than nothing (see his climate plan), he will get completely hosed in a landslide by the competent republican running on a populist platform in 2024. Get ready for that constitutional convention and climate death, cause Biden offers less than nothing.

Biden's politics are republican, but the accountability will be under the democratic brand name. Including the promised bipartisanship to slash all institutions that aren't handing out money to the rich, maybe getting a republican VP and if the stars aligned he would even veto M4A (making republicans the healthcare party).

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you got trump problems i feel bad for you son. i got 99 problems but biden ain't one

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

temple posted:

My goal is to let all the young people I know that if the dem nominee is Biden and he doesn't make concessions to the left on healthcare, debt, or the green new deal then there is no point in voting for him. And the dems will blame the youth/left if Biden loses so you might as well prove them right.

lol i posted this on slates comment section and whooo boy did it kick up the succ dem hornet's nest

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Over Easy posted:

If trump announces he plans of legalizing weed if he wins reelection, he will win in a walk

That may be Bidens only draw but he has a history of being against legalizing it

'history', I'm pretty sure at one of the debates last month he was spewing out some reefer madness level nonsense about it loving up brains and how we still need more research before we talk about decriminalizing it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dolphin posted:

like we actually have the Trump adminstration looking at m4a because of coronachan and Biden is still on tv going "i would veto it once, i would veto it twice, I'd veto it a third time, I'd veto it a 4th time and if it came up again I'd veto it then too"

Absolutely never vote Biden but lmao if you think the Trump admin would ever in a million years think of this, and isn't just using some empty rhetoric to gently caress with the opposition on an obvious fracture point in the party

Biden won't even lie about it but hahahaha

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

'history', I'm pretty sure at one of the debates last month he was spewing out some reefer madness level nonsense about it loving up brains and how we still need more research before we talk about decriminalizing it

In addition to remembering South Park, I am also cursed with remembering this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just think, what if everyone felt that way? Then you'd certainly be a drat fool to feel any other way, wouldn't you?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1237718485360431108?s=20

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Sady bringing in the voters with her charms
https://twitter.com/sadydoyle/status/1237400158062678016?s=19

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Over Easy posted:

It is worth repeating, Chris Hedges has been loving right about everything

Yeah I had been hoping he was wrong because of how terrifying the idea of electoralism being dead is. At this point though I hope he's continues to be right that when the order comes down for the police or military to open fire on unarmed protestors that they'll disobey the order and not cut them down like cord wood like I expect them to.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer

please don't kill me and my family neo-liberal capitalism

no?

well okay

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
How we feeling today, kids? Angry and ready to redouble our efforts? Locked and Loaded to fire a full barrage at brokebrain biden? Strapped in for a 45 state trimp victory?

yep, me too.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

im sure youve already thought through all the ~tactical and strategic~ aspects of third party/write-in voting, as well as the policy/political considerations, so ill just talk about the personal aspect

you will likely not feel good about it, especially in a year where republicans will probably win. in fact you will probably feel worse about it then doing the easy thing of checking the D box thats right there. you will likely have to lie about it at some points to avoid needless conflicts or social ostracizing. you may even question the outcome of the decision in the future.

but you will feel that you voted based on a sincere attempt to do was best ethically, socially, and personally. you may doubt the specific premises and evidence used for that decision, but you will not doubt the process of the decision itself, and you will not feel that your vote was forcibly extracted from you like a resource

and you will never have to look in the mirror and know that you used your infinitesimal sliver of political agency for a man who used his dead son to protect the profits of health insurers at the cost of the suffering of millions of people

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

these idiots don't get that voting for a leftist IS being nice and asking please compared to other avenues of leftists making their voice heard

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1237602301558177793?s=20
But unironically

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Biden will lose and I'm going to help him lose

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol i posted this on slates comment section and whooo boy did it kick up the succ dem hornet's nest
Now, I'm "asking" what concessions are dems willing to make to Sanders's supporters to beat Trump. You gotta phrase it around beating Trump. Eventually, Biden may roll out a watered down piss attempt at addressing the left but until then that's my response.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there's about six or seven people worth voting for downballot this year for me which has never happened. i'm writing in bernie since psl isn't recognized here and leaving the senate blank because the dem candidate is a guaranteed loser hand-picked by chuck schumer and funded entirely by out of state corporate superpacs

obama won here in 08 and trump won by 5 last time. i have zero qualms about it

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Over Easy posted:

lol I didn’t vote for Trump and found him abhorrent even in 2016 but at first I was like “huh silver lining maybe he’ll legalize weed.”

Then I realized he was a clown propped up by evangelicals and I will be SHOCKED if that ever happens under the modern GOP.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

not fash at all

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

FistEnergy posted:

How we feeling today, kids? Angry and ready to redouble our efforts? Locked and Loaded to fire a full barrage at brokebrain biden? Strapped in for a 45 state trimp victory?

yep, me too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Has Biden actually promised any of these things?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

in the long term a biden admin would be far worse than another term of trump

biden would keep doing 95% of the poo poo trump is doing, except there wouldn't even be token pushback from congress. biden can also only win if people are motivated enough to vote against trump, so if he wins what do you think will happen in 2022 and 2024 when trump is no longer around? voting biden is just setting yourself up to be slaughtered down the line when some competent fascist comes along.

also the senate will stay in republican hands, so biden won't get any justices confirmed anyway. they'd happily leave the seat vacant for four years and then seat some young turbofascist on the court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's impossible to do more than one thing at a time. We can only choose one thing to do.