Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

begins adding game to cart

edit Is there anywhere to find out what time it's coming out? I know it's March 11, that could mean any time from "in half an hour" onwards.

I don't not believe (there's always a trillion edge cases with this stuff but) that something Microsoft published has ever had a midnight Steam launch so the usual 10AM PST bet is probably pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Junkie Disease posted:

Is there an Idle game that isn't a clicker, but fun and not afflicted with gross microtransactions? I'm not against paying but that D&D one can gently caress off with its microtransactions
NGU Idle is a goon-made idler that I've been playing for like probably over a year now.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I saw the trailer for Avorion, and said to myself, hey, Kinetic Void finally got released.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Orv posted:

I don't not believe (there's always a trillion edge cases with this stuff but) that something Microsoft published has ever had a midnight Steam launch so the usual 10AM PST bet is probably pretty solid.

I just got an install button now, so either that's a preload or this is an edge case.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ghostlight posted:

NGU Idle is a goon-made idler that I've been playing for like probably over a year now.

I like it but it's uglyness make me want something else to glance at when cooking/podcasting whathaveyou

Orv
May 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I just got an install button now, so either that's a preload or this is an edge case.

It'd say pre-load so you're good to go.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am able to play it right now without any shenanigans :v:

It is good but it would be nice to have a dodge with invincibility frames

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Locator posted:

Steam just put Borderlands 3 on a 50% off sale until March 20th.

That was quick, definitely doesn't feel like a year has passed by.

Worth it? Planning to play with my brother and sister 3 player co-op, and we like just messing around, collecting, and messing with fun guns.

Hope the drop rates are better, because we cheatengined the hell out of the end of the campaign to get more fun guns.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Artelier posted:

Worth it? Planning to play with my brother and sister 3 player co-op, and we like just messing around, collecting, and messing with fun guns.

Hope the drop rates are better, because we cheatengined the hell out of the end of the campaign to get more fun guns.

no, it's borderlands, it's still really bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just saw Horizons Gate on the store, made it seven seconds into the trailer when I recognized the font being used and bought it sight unseen because it's a sailing-themed strategy RPG slash Uncharted Waters homage by goddamn Rad Codex, aka maker of two of the best and most unique takes on the SRPG genre I've ever played, the stellar Voidspire Tactics and the xcom-meets-roguelike mashup Alvora Tactics

They don't get a ton of fanfare but they're legitimately excellent games with world interaction mechanics that feel exciting and never forced or overused and a bizarre, surreal setting that's completely unlike anything I'm familiar with. Horizon's Gate will probably be even more slept on because Horizon: Zero Dawn was announced for PC the same day it came out so the name won't stand out to people but I figured this might excite someone else who didn't realize it was a thing like it did for me

One feature I really particularly love in these games is that difficulty is controlled by two things; first is a normal combat difficulty setting that modifies enemy stats, and the second is adjusting how much time the AI puts into calculating its moves. You can tell it to make decisions quickly and rashly or on the other end of the spectrum you can tell it to take extra time calculating the best possible move for the circumstances. It's a reaaaaal interesting way to tailor the difficulty to yourself and the kind of challenges you want to face.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 11, 2020

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Is there an Idle game that isn't a clicker, but fun and not afflicted with gross microtransactions? I'm not against paying but that D&D one can gently caress off with its microtransactions

StarkRavingMad posted:

I bought this thing and have been playing for a little while. There seems to be a ton to explore here. I’ve seen some really cool rooms and I’m now totally lost. Luckily it has a list where you can save various spots to return to so you can always find your way back to a certain spot. Example, there was once place that my guy said might be accessible like a week from now, so I marked it to return back to. Also marked my “home.”

Found some new chalk colors to draw with, some new books that can be read in my home, and some other decorative stuff. Also minor game mechanics spoiler I guess: since I’ve found some things to decorate my room, time now moves faster in there

This seems neat if you like exploration and timed stuff and you don’t mind that the character moves around at a slow plod. It’s very relaxing. Although I’m going to have to start making a map, I think.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Artelier posted:

It wasn't. Was 5 months out of the 6 it was supposed to last. Maybe Randy needs lawsuit money again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just saw Horizons Gate on the store, made it seven seconds into the trailer when I recognized the font being used and bought it sight unseen because it's a sailing-themed strategy RPG slash Uncharted Waters homage by goddamn Rad Codex, aka maker of two of the best and most unique takes on the SRPG genre I've ever played, the stellar Voidspire Tactics and the xcom-meets-roguelike mashup Alvora Tactics

They don't get a ton of fanfare but they're legitimately excellent games with world interaction mechanics that feel exciting and never forced or overused and a bizarre, surreal setting that's completely unlike anything I'm familiar with. Horizon's Gate will probably be even more slept on because Horizon: Zero Dawn was announced for PC the same day it came out so the name won't stand out to people but I figured this might excite someone else who didn't realize it was a thing like it did for me

One feature I really particularly love in these games is that difficulty is controlled by two things; first is a normal combat difficulty setting that modifies enemy stats, and the second is adjusting how much time the AI puts into calculating its moves. You can tell it to make decisions quickly and rashly or on the other end of the spectrum you can tell it to take extra time calculating the best possible move for the circumstances. It's a reaaaaal interesting way to tailor the difficulty to yourself and the kind of challenges you want to face.

Voidspire and Alvora Tactics are among the two best SRPGs on Steam right now, and Rad Codex deserves way the gently caress more money and success than they get. Thanks for bringing this up!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Det_no posted:

It wasn't. Was 5 months out of the 6 it was supposed to last. Maybe Randy needs lawsuit money again.

It is exactly 6 months to the day.

Grapplejack posted:

no, it's borderlands, it's still really bad.

Have you considered that Borderlands is really good?

Coming out a week before Doom feels incredibly calculated but... its still a week before Doom and I'd rather have something to play now. Or you know, would if it came out today and not the day the new Path of Exile league starts. Maybe next time Randy.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

I had no idea this came out already! Voidspire and Alvora Tactics both kick rear end. Honestly the only srpg games that really get what made the fft job system work so well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this game definitely hasn't been taking any cues from hollow knight or anything (Ori and the Will of the Wisps)

edit: I also just found a map-maker who travels from zone to zone (I think) and gained the ability to heal with the cost of energy that will also be able to fuel combat abilities and locking me in place while I use it.

I'm not complaining though, a bit of Hollow Knight mixed in while still retaining its own identity is working really nicely.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 11, 2020

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Junkie Disease posted:

I played Realm Grinder for a long while. It was pretty barebones, but they were constantly updating mostly the later game content. You could go down various builds for Active vs Idle playing once you got set up appropriately. There was the option for microtransactions, but it was contained on a separate shop page and I did my time with it all F2P.

There's a full Idle Games thread here that would have better answers

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm going to power through the last three games I wanted to cover for this increasingly-inaccurately-named series, which include a free game I really thought would be better, a strangely compelling budget indie, and a genre giant people really should revisit. Once I finish these, I can finally catch up to all those mushroom-hunting sim and cyberpunk dungeon crawler reviews I've been meaning to do.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita
19. Rain World
20. 8BitBoy
21. Wings of Vi
22. MO:Astray
23. Total Party Kill
24. Dandara
25. Potata
26. Skautfold: Usurper

27. Ikeda: The Scrap Hunter E.P.

In a funny sort of way, free games need to offer more for your time than other games do. That’s because your investment in it is solely your own time, so if there’s nothing to hook you, or nothing new to bring to the table, it’s that much easier to punch out and return to another game. I gave Ikeda a shot because I had hopes that it would offer something fresh and interesting, as other free games like Khimera or Princess Remedy did. And if it was more than a pale imitation of Super Meat Boy sliced into a six-level pittance, I’d be telling you all about what it accomplished.

Like any good cyberpunk future, the high-tech cities of tomorrow were leveled in some catastrophe, leaving ruins to be picked over by opportunistic scrap hunters. Iggy Ikeda and his pal Magnus are just such a pair of junkers, tipped off to a big score in the remains of a Neptune Corporation weapons facility. The plan is simple enough, assuming Iggy can get in and mark the goods for Magnus to haul out with their ship, but their scheme gets scuttled when the old defense systems light back up and light up their ship. Now finding that sweep scrap is more a matter of survival than ever, and Iggy is the only one that can delve into the ruins and bring back what they need to get the ship moving and their balance back in the black.

That right there is more story than you’re going to get out of this title. Starting a new game gets you some text scenes that establish the plot, and then it’s off to the races with the game’s six levels. The frequency of name drops and references to past events indicates there’s some world-building going on, but hardly any of it is visible in the actual gameplay. For whatever reason, these blasted ruins you’re exploring are chock full of whirring sawblades and extremely functional laser cannons, positioned in perfectly obnoxious spots for your progression. Whatever effort is put into the narrative and setting falls away almost immediately, leaving you with the gameplay.

If you’ve played Super Meat Boy or any of its derivatives, you know exactly what you’re getting here. Run, jump, and wall jump between blades and lasers to get from start to finish, and maybe pick up the extra challenge baubles along the way. Each of the six stages is broken down into around ten screens, with platforms for you to negotiate without dying. The controls are decent, if a little floaty, but the levels very quickly start overloading on spikes and especially lasers, and grow complex enough that a mistake can set you back significantly even on the same screen. In a game like SMB this is okay because the game ramps up to such challenges gradually over the hours, while Ikeda crams it all into a 45-minute runtime.

The real problem though is that it just doesn’t go anywhere. There’s nothing remarkable enough about the game to inspire anyone to get through it besides the sunk cost in time of installing and starting it. Iggy himself is impressively designed and animated, but he makes the flat, featureless platforms and obstacles look that much worse. The sound effects are all poorly-mixed stock files, there’s no music, and eventually you’ll start to notice the collisions and hit detection looking like a slapdash GameMaker project. Free is the right price if its for an experience that offers something of note, but helping Ikeda scrounge around for junk isn’t worth any amount of my time.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Sweeeet. Added Horizon to my wishlist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nabbed this and twenty minutes in it's already more intuitive and easy to play than either of the earlier games. Combat so far has been simple but I can see so many opportunities, and the plotline of "survive wreck of ship, wreck pirates" is engaging. I'll play more soon!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like Ori and the Hollow of the Knight

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, if you're going to steal, you may as well steal from the best - I'm enjoying it so far. The combat isn't quite as tight as Hollow Knight's, though. Everything is very animated (for lack of a better word) and fast enemies can be pretty hard to hit, if only because you can't always tell if they're in range yet or not. All in all it's pretty nice, but it's a game I recommend more for its atmosphere than for the mechanics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like it lots but I have already died an embarrassing amount of deaths

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kudos to Moon Studios for realizing Bash is the best power and giving it out early

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It would've been nice if they had explained it better, though. I passed by at least two of those purple doors before I realized that yes, using it does induce recoil and now I'm too lazy to go back.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I starting feeling the combat a bit more once I had the hammer and the dash ability. You're just constantly batting enemies all over the level and then madly dashing after them to keep smacking them around more. Also you can get a charm shard that lets you grapple directly onto enemies, so you can really just bounce all over the place.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SirSamVimes posted:

this game definitely hasn't been taking any cues from hollow knight or anything (Ori and the Will of the Wisps)

edit: I also just found a map-maker who travels from zone to zone (I think) and gained the ability to heal with the cost of energy that will also be able to fuel combat abilities and locking me in place while I use it.

I'm not complaining though, a bit of Hollow Knight mixed in while still retaining its own identity is working really nicely.

Yeah a lot of the combat feels straight out of Hollow Knight too, although just like with the movement you trade a little precision for a more "fluid" feeling which I happen to enjoy very much. Not complaining about all the inspiration though! The combat works really well as an evolution of the mechanics in the first game. I just beat the first "real" boss and reached what seems to be the first major milestone; it's really enjoyable how hard and fast the game puts new mechanics in front of you. Also, unlike Ori 1, the new abilities I'm getting are giving me plenty of incentive to return to and re-explore old areas

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got to play the excellent Horizon's Gate for a few hours between last night and this morning and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so here are some notes I took along the way:

Game seems very open-ended and non-linear. Your ship is crushed by pirates and after a brief tutorial you steal one of their ships from their cove and escape. After that you can do whatever you want, it seems, and there are multiple branching story routes - travel alongside the legendary fighter who was cripplingly wounded in battle with the pirates? Set out to explore ancient relics and historical sites to earn money? go back and whup the pirates? These all seem like objectives you can focus on right from the start

Despite being a Rad Codex SRPG it's surprisingly combat-lite, in (imo) a good way! There's a big focus on exploring and interacting with the world. You earn research data by examining objects which lets you read a brief text blurb about then and then you can sell that data later to earn money, so there are detailed multi-paragraph written descriptions of everything ranging from broken barrel debris on the floor to strange ancient mystical gates

The world map when you're sailing around is an homage to SNES mode 7 stuff with a faux-3d scrolling globe made of flat 2d pixel art and it's a neat effect, RC's games have always been great about shoving you into this very unique and specific aesthetic that always sets a tone for the world

In lots of ways so far (I've been sailing around and discovering ports for a bit) it feels like the ship-side gameplay of POE2 but expanded into a full game, with actual gameplay instead of all being text based. I mean this in the best possible way (I didn't really like POE2's ship stuff because ultimately it was just a text adventure)

Also for whatever reason playing as a crew of sailors traveling the world by boat to find and crash dungeons just feels good.

My only complaint so far is that it looks like trading isn't very nuanced, from what I've seen so far trade goods are always worth more in places that don't produce them, and the further away from those places you get the more it's worth - so your income from trading is less a factor of understanding local markets and more a factor of just always buying the most expensive goods you can and holding on to them while you sail large distances

I'm by no means very far into the game (I just got to Sertial, the first major port after the tutorial, but took my time getting there) but unless something goes horribly wrong I'm already super invested in this game and with the dev's track record and previous games I see this idea working and expanding very well throughout the rest of it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This sounds pretty cool. And I needed something that runs on my laptop anyway.
Speaking of: any recommendations for games with laughable hardware requirements? I like strategies, RPGs and Metroidvanias, dislike puzzle games and am horrible at point'n'click adventures. Played most of the big releases and thread darlings already, so I'm looking for anything more obscure this time around.
I'm going to be stuck with a laptop from cca 2014 with an integrated graphics card for some time so any recommendations would be welcome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

This sounds pretty cool. And I needed something that runs on my laptop anyway.
Speaking of: any recommendations for games with laughable hardware requirements? I like strategies, RPGs and Metroidvanias, dislike puzzle games and am horrible at point'n'click adventures. Played most of the big releases and thread darlings already, so I'm looking for anything more obscure this time around.
I'm going to be stuck with a laptop from cca 2014 with an integrated graphics card for some time so any recommendations would be welcome.

You've played all the Space Pilgrim rpg-maker adventures, yeah? Despite the engine they're lots of fun imho.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

You've played all the Space Pilgrim rpg-maker adventures, yeah? Despite the engine they're lots of fun imho.
Nope and I think I actually have the first one from some kind of a bundle. Making a note, thanks!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How has public goonpinion in The Outer Worlds landed? Last I looked people were pretty middling on it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

poisonpill posted:

How has public goonpinion in The Outer Worlds landed? Last I looked people were pretty middling on it.

it's bite-sized and not as well written compared to what people were hoping for (fallout: new vegas 2.0) but at the end of the day it's not particularly awful, just mediocre

my closest point of comparison would be the harebrained scheme's shadowrun games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

it's bite-sized and not as well written compared to what people were hoping for (fallout: new vegas 2.0) but at the end of the day it's not particularly awful, just mediocre

It's the worst thing a game can be: Boring without a single interesting thing in it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

It's the worst thing a game can be: Boring without a single interesting thing in it

They remade all the lovely parts of NV but not any of the fun good parts

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's pretty uninspring.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
One of my most anticipated games last year and after 5-6 hours I just stopped playing. Its not like terrible but uninspired and boring is exactly right

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Thanks. That’s like... the most overwhelming consensus I’ve ever seen on a game ever.

So if I gift it to a casual player that likes New Vegas more than anything, will it be a disappointment? Or kind of fill that void? (Like, very casual player. Skyrim and New Vegas and like, Mario)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cowcaster posted:

my closest point of comparison would be the harebrained scheme's shadowrun games

If Outer Worlds were as good as HBS's (latter two) Shadowrun games it'd be a real good game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got opinions on Outcast: Second Contact?