Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we have lots of vaccine candidates, they reliably make your lungs stop working or give you a big ol cytokine storm

the fact that we have no vaccine for any coronavirus is not really for lack of trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

BoldFace posted:

The vaccine is just a pipe dream. The current objective is to slow the spread down enough that all hospitals and whatever temporary treatment centers there will be won't be overrun by cases.

'Pipe dream' is bit hyperbolic. As noted before:

https://twitter.com/tdechant/status/1237013448854249474

It's not impossible to roll one out in the next year and a half or so, and make adjustments for the variants from there. It's a pipe dream to say that it'll show up in the next few months, though, yeah.

As you say, for the moment, it's more about flattening the curve.

EDIT: Companies and venture bros being fucks about it to the point that everyone dies is entirely possible, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Svensken posted:

From my understanding were essentially trying to stay the spread as much as we can until a vaccine it's developed. With the added bonus that any significant destiny of infection would cripple the regional healthcare systems.

A vaccine will likely take years. Slowing the spread by limiting contact with one another is 100% designed to not overburden hospitals and healthcare systems, though. That's the most effective way to fight this.

Question is how long people/businesses/governments will be willing to do that. Closing schools for a month for example might be well and good to slow the spread but if you then open them back up and declare everything solved you might just see a resurgence of the virus when more people start interacting with each other again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Svensken posted:

Not an emptyquote

She wrote some of the best episodes of the good place. She’s great. She’s also a crossword super nerd along with the guy who wrote Chernobyl, they do the New York Times ones and post their times. It’s always less then ten minutes.

My girlfriend went from thinking prepping was dumb last week to realizing how big of a deal it is and mad she didn’t start to social distance herself from most peeps last week. She just started a new job though that can let her fully WFH if they need too, and she lives 15 mins away by walk, 5 by car. We both are active in a local dance community, but will be taking a break from it for the time being. Kinda annoyed the community (locally) isn’t taking this more seriously.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Up to six cases in jefferson parish here in louisiana. The techs are saying a couple more patients have come into the ER displaying symptoms just this morning. They were setting up temp check stations when i was coming in this morning but weren’t actually testing yet, side roads are also being closed so they can better monitor who is coming in and out. I’m in the OR today. Across the lake my sister is saying they stopped letting students into their ORs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I’m a math teacher so thank you for ruining my pooping time with math, real cool guys.

you're just mad that you were too late to do any dunking

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Old Boot posted:

'Pipe dream' is bit hyperbolic. As noted before:

https://twitter.com/tdechant/status/1237013448854249474

It's not impossible to roll one out in the next year and a half or so, and make adjustments for the variants from there. It's a pipe dream to say that it'll show up in the next few months, though, yeah.

As you say, for the moment, it's more about flattening the curve.

EDIT: Companies and venture bros being fucks about it to the point that everyone dies is entirely possible, though.

This is why the NIH should have more funding, they don't really give a poo poo about recurring ROI on the research

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I’m in Brunei to teach a course and was supposed to go home on Saturday. Yesterday they got a confirmed case, a man travelled to KL and Miri and a bunch of mosques and now his family/travel companions are testing positive. The ministry of health called a full stop to all training classes, so now I’m going home tomorrow. Pretty disappointing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Italy is loving up all of europe

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was flying to London next week for a job interview, and now I'm not. Also pretty disappointing, but I'm sadder that I won't be able to watch the Back to the Future Musical in Manchester that I booked tickets for and planned a whole day trip around.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

Italy is loving up all of europe

Europe's perfectly content to keep doing that on its own.

speaking of, is Jose still alive?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Is China capable of developing a vaccine? They sure as hell should be if so.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sten Freak posted:

Is China capable of developing a vaccine? They sure as hell should be if so.

They're gonna try, but this poo poo ain't fast even for a command economy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
there will be no vaccine

permanent flu-season and constant reinfection is the new way of life

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What if we give a tax cut directly to the roni itself ?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're also going to run out of ambu bags lol

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

shame on an IGA posted:

Still lolling at the guy who posted a log-scale chart to try and disprove exponential case growth

My highlight was him rounding to 0 to demonstrate that growth can’t exist if you just shorten the time scale. On the day with 4 shits, he had many hours with 0 shits, and thus there was no pattern of growth

bob dobbs is dead posted:

im more amused that he claimed norovirus had a 7% fatality rate

This was also magical, him saying 685 million cases and 7% fatality rate in the same sentence with zero contemplation

teardrop fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 11, 2020

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sten Freak posted:

That Iran is under-reporting is no surprise but breaking down the statistics suggest they are possibly incredibly short of the real numbers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-problem-lot-worse-it-seems/607663/

Hadlock posted:

You're doing this article disservice, it's way worse than that

this is something

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
While I was taking my morning poo poo a couple hours ago I read about that big outbreak in New York. ONE GUY, a lawyer, managed to infect over 100 people over the course of a few days. Just went to tons of events and met with tons of people. They have no idea how the lawyer even got it in the first place but that whole outbreak is basically due to one dude

bomb posted:

I enjoy quinoa but really just get white rice let’s all stop pretending quinoa and brown rice are better for you

The protein is negligible just buy a bag of whey with your white rice

Quinoa tastes better :colbert:

Griefor posted:

Wonder what the US prison riots are going to look like, that poo poo is going to be wild.

Didn't someone post earlier in the thread that entire prisons in Italy had already been taken over by the prisoners? Was that real or did I dream that?

salt shakeup posted:

The posturing in this thread is insane. Like any of you know anything other than being chronically online. Projections being posted that are nothing more than using 3 values in excel and dragging it out and going "wow 29 billion infected in 3 weeks". It's a lol from me

what post are you even talking about? it's pretty funny when people are so desperate to prove that THEY get it, THEY are the smart ones

but also pathetic

Zzulu posted:

I mean, that would be grinding my life to a halt. I have to take the metro to work which already exposes me to hundreds of people every day and the gym is my only hobby. Can't really stop working and I don't want to give up the one thing I find fun during my offtime in order to avoid a flu

I do wash my hands tho :shobon:

find better hobbies. gently caress your fat wife, maybe

Son of Rodney posted:

Burt the side story itt of your vacation planning is a staple at this point, but I have to seriously ask why you're dead set on vacationing now of all times. To las Vegas, the closest thing to a cruise ship you can find on land.

Why not wait for 2 or 3 months.

Well, Vegas has been pretty clean so far. Won't be like that forever but so far there's very little virus here

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I literally didn't think anyone would believe me if I posted the numbers from that article.

bollig posted:

this is something

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sten Freak posted:

I literally didn't think anyone would believe me if I posted the numbers from that article.

One of the things that this whole breakout has impressed upon me is that our brains are just not wired to understand the scale of exponential breakouts, especially coupled with the fact that, so far, a lot of it is happening 'over there'. Especially when there's a time and information delay between when a person gets the disease and when they have to get to the hospital. Like the time difference between 'hrm I have a fever today' and 'I need to get to the hospital' can a week, which can be the difference between 'whatever everything's fine' and 'there are no hospital beds in the country'. It's really hard to wrap my head around.

It's sort of related but just based on my daily scan of facebook there is a very significant political gap in reactions. The people who I am certain vote conservatively are very much 'w/e more people die from flu every year. Have you noticed that this is an ELECTION YEAR seems fishy'. The others seem to be posting things like 'maybe we should take this seriously.' This could be confirmation bias though. One of my friends who thought that Kavanaugh did nothing wrong is currently on a cruise, for example.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Zzulu posted:

there will be no vaccine

permanent flu-season and constant reinfection is the new way of life

Corona is going to save the economy! She's the biggest job creator - cremation ovens won't man themselves, graves need to be dug, new crops of doctors and nursing staff trained and thrown into meat grinder, just think of all the jobs!

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
With 20% fewer boomers, maybe, just maybe, Gen-X and Millenials will see some of that social security money we've been paying into our entire lives.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

:siren::siren: POPE'S GOT THE RONI :siren::siren:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
If you have cool pollen allergies like all cool people have, now is the perfect time to prank your loved ones/work place!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pope-a-roni piazza

Play
Apr 25, 2006

central dogma posted:

With 20% fewer boomers, maybe, just maybe, Gen-X and Millenials will see some of that social security money we've been paying into our entire lives.

if it's a legitimate rape, the earth has ways to try and shut that whole thing down

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

:siren::siren: POPE'S GOT THE RONI :siren::siren:

Oh gently caress that means God is going to get it too :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1237...ingawful.com%2F

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Buhbuhbuht I thought pandemics no longer exist, WHO?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My company of 70k employees just ordered full wfh and no travel ....except in emergencies

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

Oh gently caress that means God is going to get it too :(

What's the lethality rate in 4000-13.772 billion year-olds?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Objurium posted:

Lol cool. The subtweet too:

"Update: NBC News reporting that University officials have stated that students were not protesting coronavirus response, but were simply holding a gathering in light of the news."

https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/1237673906485542913?s=19

say what you want about Ohio but their schools really know how to protest *gets shot*

Play
Apr 25, 2006

not sure what it was BEFORE the WHO decided to weigh in, but better late than never i suppose

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

bollig posted:

It's sort of related but just based on my daily scan of facebook there is a very significant political gap in reactions. The people who I am certain vote conservatively are very much 'w/e more people die from flu every year. Have you noticed that this is an ELECTION YEAR seems fishy'. The others seem to be posting things like 'maybe we should take this seriously.' This could be confirmation bias though. One of my friends who thought that Kavanaugh did nothing wrong is currently on a cruise, for example.

It's worth remembering that the Republicans actually pulled this trick in 2014 by drumming up an Ebola scare. My very Fox news devoted company owners wanted to quarantine me when I returned from South Africa, a country with no cases that was further away from the outbreak than New York was (also, they had no cases and New York had a couple).

One of the pernicious effects of Republicans playing that game is to desensitize people to a real problem.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you have difficulty understanding the number are stake here's a litle graph to put thinks in s
pergpective

e: the yellow line should go up

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What's the lethality rate in 4000-13.772 billion year-olds?

It's so deadly that he's already dead...

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Jesus christ Africa is going to be a proper shitshow once the virus gets momentum. The first cases are only now starting and I have a feeling the exponential growth will be quite dramatic.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
LDS conference moved to tech only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KinkyJohn posted:

Jesus christ Africa is going to be a proper shitshow once the virus gets momentum. The first cases are only now starting and I have a feeling the exponential growth will be quite dramatic.

It's just a flu budy