Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The characters are loathsome and stupid and I hate them
Minus asbel theyre all pretty funny and likable

And asbel is still a better character than lloyd and yuri

Well hes a worse character than yuri but the way hes used annoys me less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The cast of Graces is decent enough, it is just the plot is extremely stupid at times and Asbel is probably the dumbest lead in the series.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The weird thing about Asbel is there are a few win quotes that show him having specific and funny character quirks that don't show up at any point in the main game or the skits.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
asbel is a dumbass but he doesn't really actively overtake anyone else so in that sense he's one of the most inoffensive tales boys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

The weird thing about Asbel is there are a few win quotes that show him having specific and funny character quirks that don't show up at any point in the main game or the skits.

tbf you can apply this to a lot of blander protags

remember lloyd's actually snarky and funny relationship with zelos that shows up in like, two skits?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm sure I've said this before but Asbel's problem is that while others will participate in his silliness, he doesn't reciprocate; notice how few skits contain a joke originating from someone else and he's in on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i like asbel being a clueless dumbass because it means i can sympathize with him, being a clueless dumbass myself

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Graces has some of my favorite skits and post-battle skits in the series. Give me my remaster cowards! :argh:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

asbel is a dumbass but he doesn't really actively overtake anyone else so in that sense he's one of the most inoffensive tales boys

His whole arc is that having lost to Sophie as a child (and he calls out that she's a girl too iirc), he swears to protect her forever, does so, carries her when she's inevitably incapacitated, and ultimately literally does her one job for her while telling her her way is wrong.

Endorph posted:

tbf you can apply this to a lot of blander protags

remember lloyd's actually snarky and funny relationship with zelos that shows up in like, two skits?

I think of Lloyd differently because Lloyd has a personality, it just changes depending on the needs of the scene. Asbel has nothing outside the win quotes unless you count Grim Determination.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

It's also on full display if you pick Zelos as the relationship option in their Flanoir and Heimdall scenes.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The thing that sets Asbel over Lloyd is less anything about their actual personality and more that Asbel doesn't quite reduce every other character's personality to "I love Asbel, Asbel made my life worth living." Even when he takes over Sophie's plot, she still has her own input on it and a specific relationship with Asbel besides "potential good end." The final dungeon isn't just every other character in the game taking turns saying how great Asbel is.

Individually they're both just really boring good nice boys.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

The thing that sets Asbel over Lloyd is less anything about their actual personality and more that Asbel doesn't quite reduce every other character's personality to "I love Asbel, Asbel made my life worth living." Even when he takes over Sophie's plot, she still has her own input on it and a specific relationship with Asbel besides "potential good end." The final dungeon isn't just every other character in the game taking turns saying how great Asbel is.

Individually they're both just really boring good nice boys.

that's what i mean yeah. i don't love asbel but at least it doesn't feel like graces f wants me to like. marvel at him like symphonia. the game never has everyone turn to the camera and say "wow... asbel is just such an inspirational person. if not for asbel, i would never have the strength to face my issues and become a better person. i wonder what it is that makes asbel so amazing that he can just make anyone else a better person with his words alone"

and unlike vesperia, the part where sophie is put out of commission isn't literally because a bad guy trapped her in a plot bubble

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
To me it's kind of a question of degree? Asbel and Yuri (and Kyle) dominate the story just by being main dudes who slide into the leader role by being the default player character, but Lloyd is that to another level, like not just The Hero who everyone follows and gets the main arc but a black hole of characterization and agency that stops other characters from even kind of being in the story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf after like, act 1 graces f doesn't give asbel like. a ton of plot to dominate

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean after Act 1 Graces basically doesn't have a plot, so...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We had to discover that other planet lady was literally the worst.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
she's one of my favorite tales villains ever for how comically short and terrible her role in the story is

she's not even around for like. more than three hours before she just explodes

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Calaveron posted:

The characters are loathsome and stupid and I hate them

I dunno, Asbel is kind of a dope but I didn't really have a bad time with anyone else.

The f-arc is pretty ace because Richard is absolutely hilarious

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The writing improves in the future arc in general, sophies arc there is actually cool

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So is the voice mixing for Vesperia Remastered rear end if I play it in Japanese, or is it only for the dub?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just the dub

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

just the dub

Well, Japanese it is then.

It kinda sucks, since Namco couldn't be assed to provide subtitles for the dialogue that occurs during boss battles

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any tips for Xillia 2 combat? It's mostly okay until I get to a boss and it's time to blow through my entire stash of Life Bottles. I don't remember having much trouble with the first one.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Volt is literally copy and pasted from the original so you have to fight him way underleveled. After this the bosses are fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just did Aska and that was the same lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

iirc if you're not using Alvin's link for the volt fight you're making it harder on yourself?

i actually don't remember anymore if it was him or somebody else or even if there was a gimmick going on, i remember there being an "oh duh i should have used that" moment there, though

nevermind you're not even on that fight and it's not like i remember anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just discovered there was a bunch of new armour at the shop, I'm sure I already checked but maybe that was it lol

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Or you could just go with the nu tales game tradition of "try until you get frustrated and lower the difficulty to simple then change back after"

This saved me so much time against the stupid pettrification snake boss in Zesteria

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've only game overed once (against Volt natch) just annoying having to replenish my stock of life bottles after every boss lol. At least it seems you only get grade points from titles in X2.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I had more trouble with combat in Xillia 2 than I did in the first game. I got through most of Xillia 1 without realizing I needed to equip skills before some of the fights started getting annoying.

The Shame Boy posted:

Or you could just go with the nu tales game tradition of "try until you get frustrated and lower the difficulty to simple then change back after"

This saved me so much time against the stupid pettrification snake boss in Zesteria

If I ever go back to Zesty to finally finish the final dungeon I gave up on years ago, I will probably take this advice to just get it over with.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

playing through vesperia and again and its really alarming how paper thin the first act really is. I remember everything being pretty good and then act 3 crashing and burning but there is basically no reason for any of these people to be tagging along with Yuri, Estelle and Repeade. Judith is obviously the worst offender and basically just shows up and decides "ok i guess its my turn to be a character now"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I haven't played Vesperia since my PS3 stopped booting, but I suspect that act 2 isn't actually better so much as it's still absolutely everywhere but there's still time for you to assume that some plot threads will still go somewhere satisfying, whereas in the endgame they're obviously dropping major subplots and characterization elements and you have no choice but to face it being a hot mess.

Unrelated: I've been replaying Destiny 2, I'm about halfway through and this game is not good. I think Kyle is actually a worse main character than Lloyd.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 16, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
act 2 is... kiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda more... focused...? but. they still really take a huge dump with estelle's writing, the way her arc is handled starts off kind of irritating and only gets worse as it goes on. i've uh, made my frustrations with the last chunk of act 2 very known lol

act 1 is paper thin but tbh cause of that it doesn't really have the issue of everyone feeling like they're getting totally shafted by the writing, it's just, weirdly loose in general instead of bafflingly lopsided

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

act 1 is paper thin but tbh cause of that it doesn't really have the issue of everyone feeling like they're getting totally shafted by the writing, it's just, weirdly loose in general instead of bafflingly lopsided

That's a good way to phrase it. I think Act 1 often gets a pass because it's not really obvious at that point that the story isn't ever going to do anything with the tension between Yuri and Flynn. That, and the build up of Yuri-as-serial-killer is a very cool through-line until it just abruptly stops when Pharaoh comes to the exact same conclusion and the story loses all of its character momentum because the hypocrisy is never examined at all. It could be a really cool story about Yuri learning that maybe extrajudicial murder isn't helpful even if the system is bad, but as delivered it's just "I'm right because I'm the protagonist."

"It hasn't disappointed me yet" is kind of a low bar to clear. Zestiria's kind of like that too. It's only later where you find out just how much of its promise just ... isn't.

Caphi posted:

Unrelated: I've been replaying Destiny 2, I'm about halfway through and this game is not good. I think Kyle is actually a worse main character than Lloyd.

Kyle kinda feels like a fan fan character. Like, he's a self-insert into a Stahn-fanfic by a tertiary writer. I love Destiny 2, but I can't really defend Kyle except for his Bakuenken. It's good.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 16, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

what hero, you hero mean hero you're hero tired hero of hero hearing hero hero every hero other hero sentence?

hero

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ershalim posted:

Kyle kinda feels like a fan fan character. Like, he's a self-insert into a Stahn-fanfic by a tertiary writer. I love Destiny 2, but I can't really defend Kyle except for his Bakuenken. It's good.

This is a very serious problem on its own because of how much of the game is built around Kyle and Reala's relationship (which mainly consists of Reala massaging Kyle's entitled ego), but I'm not hot on the whole Fortuna "suffering builds character" theme either. At minimum, I think it's told pretty badly.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I want to play a new Tales game!

Or at least Graces on my PS4.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

playing through vesperia and again and its really alarming how paper thin the first act really is. I remember everything being pretty good and then act 3 crashing and burning but there is basically no reason for any of these people to be tagging along with Yuri, Estelle and Repeade. Judith is obviously the worst offender and basically just shows up and decides "ok i guess its my turn to be a character now"

Rita makes sense at least: like Yuri she realizes pretty much immediately that Estelle is using artes without a blastia, and she forces her way into the party because of her Blastia research and blossoming crush on Estelle. I'm honestly probably fine with Rita's motiviations across the entire story more than anybody else's. At least her goals are are always clear and consistent.

Karol would have made sense if him getting kicked out of the Hunting Blades had happened in Halure instead of way later. Have Nan show up after the tree is healed and tell Karol he sucks and is out of the guild, then have Estelle offer to let him tag along with her group. Instead he just hangs around with the group for 10 hours of story where he's got no real reason to do so, until Nan shows up to leave him with no place to go back to. It's just weird writing.

Raven is a weird example where he jumps in and out of the party as a result of being a super secret reverse triple agent. I'm fine with him too in part one more or less, it's not until He "sacrifices" himself and then just... shows back up. And also somehow beats an airship to Heracles that he really starts to annoy me.

I have a ton of problems with Judith's writing I won't spend several paragraphs whinging about but yeah, her just sort of tagging along party is really weird and ill-fitting. I think her conversation with Pharaoh is supposed to imply that she tagged along to try and find out why Ba'ul identified Estelle as a Hermes Blastia, and if she should kill her or not but it's not really clear, again because of the aforementioned issues with Judith's disjointed character writing.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Caphi posted:

At minimum, I think it's told pretty badly.

It definitely is. It's a dented little darling that has a lot of charm. Mostly I just jive with Judas' retcon making him a much more fleshed out character (which ended up being unnecessary as of DC, but whatevs), and Elraine is a nice take on a zealot that I don't feel like I've seen very often. And Harold inventing the nutbar mage trope is kinda nice. Meredy and Arche were both way more grounded if foreign and lusty, respectively.

Sydin posted:

I have a ton of problems with Judith's writing I won't spend several paragraphs whinging about but yeah, her just sort of tagging along party is really weird and ill-fitting. I think her conversation with Pharaoh is supposed to imply that she tagged along to try and find out why Ba'ul identified Estelle as a Hermes Blastia, and if she should kill her or not but it's not really clear, again because of the aforementioned issues with Judith's disjointed character writing.

I thought Judy was mostly tagging along because she quickly clued in on the fact that the party would be taking her to where she was probably headed anyway, and it was more fun to do sick air combos with friends. Her laid-back approach to her vitally important mission does feel really strange. Are all Krityans like that? I have trouble remembering the finer details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do remember them all being a bit weird.