Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rotoru posted:

Video game ratings are the biggest joke ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have a plan to fix this. We just have to intimidate them into changing the rules by saying "If this seems sexual to you, then you must be a closet paedophile!". Works every time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

cheetah7071 posted:

Update: the next few hours of Blue Reflection were a lot better than the first, and even if the #1 complaint people have is 100% true (that the side characters show up and then instantly get sidelined) I'll probably still finish it.

There are a lot of horny camera angles in the cinematography of this game about a sad high schooler though

Fun thing to do in anime and anime games, see how often a female character is introduced via a slow pan up starting from the feet (or the chest) that shows the entire body, versus the males.

My gf is playing Rune Factory 4 right now on the Switch and enjoying it, but ever since I pointed it out she's been seeing it too. The closest she noticed with a guy was for someone where it started on his shoes, then cut to his waist, then cut to his face.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
did they add that in the remaster or something because i don't think the 3ds actually had the horsepower to do close-ups like that in rf4... is it like a cutscene?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

did they add that in the remaster or something because i don't think the 3ds actually had the horsepower to do close-ups like that in rf4... is it like a cutscene?

Oh, yeah an animated cutscene. Don't remember if it was in the original or not, it's been a looong time since I played it.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Radcodex, the developer behind Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics released their newest game Horizon's Gate on Monday. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

This one's an open-world nautical themed SRPG with most of the same mechanics of the last two games. I loved them both dearly, and this release was a total surprise to me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Oh, yeah an animated cutscene. Don't remember if it was in the original or not, it's been a looong time since I played it.

They were yeah. And to clarify for White Dragon it's not like they're really gratuitous or anything, but once you start the 'see how often women are introduced with vertical pans' game it gets real loving glaring.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shame, I just found a Male Gaze+1 in the very next thread. This menuing sucks

Unrelated: Kingdom Hearts 3 seems really, really bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
worst game I played last year!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Happy 25th anniversary to Chrono Trigger today

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Fun thing to do in anime and anime games, see how often a female character is introduced via a slow pan up starting from the feet (or the chest) that shows the entire body, versus the males.

My gf is playing Rune Factory 4 right now on the Switch and enjoying it, but ever since I pointed it out she's been seeing it too. The closest she noticed with a guy was for someone where it started on his shoes, then cut to his waist, then cut to his face.

Agreed, there should be slow pans over the males, too.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
while i appreciate the signposting about who you can date, it just leads to disappointment when all the coolest characters don't get little cutscenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funniest thing about shadow hearts 3 is one of the writers of it going off years later to make his own original ip on psp that's just an absolutely insanely janky poverty shadow hearts

as far as i can tell the other writer went on to write hyperdimension neptunia mk2

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 11, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

:yeah:

Still my favorite RPG of all time. Something about the tone, the story, the characters. It just strikes the right balance of silly and serious in the perfect way for me. It's, admittedly, partially nostalgia after I played it yearly for like a decade, and still play it every so often today.

I really wish more RPGs were of it's caliber honestly, though I guess the same could be said if smrpg and ff6 as well.

I also really wish that more modern games had as good new game + modes. Let me just break the game you cowards.

It's a real shame the game never got a proper sequel :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

the funniest thing about shadow hearts 3 is one of the writers of it going off years later to make his own original ip on psp that's just an absolutely insanely janky poverty shadow hearts

You can't say this and not tell us the name of the game :colbert:.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just finished AC: Odyssey and the game has the gall to tell me that I can play through it again in NG+ mode. Like, I quite enjoyed the game but I can't imagine playing through the entire thing again from the beginning, that thing is loving huge. CT had a perfect length for NG+, especially given the different endings and such you could get from it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

as far as i can tell the other writer went on to write hyperdimension neptunia mk2

also worked on Brain Lord, since you got me looking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say this and not tell us the name of the game :colbert:.

it might have the most bizarre take on the judgment ring i've ever seen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that the same Hamster that do all the Arcade Archive ports now?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Max Wilco posted:

What else is going to be new in Persona 5 Royal? I saw a video about the dungeons having some new puzzles and stuff, but that was all I saw.

Did they add a mode where you get to kick the crap out of Akechi? That's like the one thing I wanted with an updated version (well, that, and some more feedback on how close you are to ranking up in your social stats.)
why won't they let me beat the poo poo out of this abused teenager :bahgawd:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
faselei is a fun game cause it's like playing a season of gundam but as a weird rpg with simultaneous turns where you input actions into your mech to try and predict how the enemy will move, and also it's a funny season of gundam instead of a boring one. all these weird 2095 war politics in the middle east are happening meanwhile sho and his friends are just bumbling around being huge dumbasses and getting into trouble, and they introduce the rival mercenary group with them arguing about going to the beach and calling the enemy army lt. an old loser

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cant believe RF4 is cancelled.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Elvis_Maximus posted:

:yeah:

Still my favorite RPG of all time. Something about the tone, the story, the characters. It just strikes the right balance of silly and serious in the perfect way for me. It's, admittedly, partially nostalgia after I played it yearly for like a decade, and still play it every so often today.

I really wish more RPGs were of it's caliber honestly, though I guess the same could be said if smrpg and ff6 as well.

I also really wish that more modern games had as good new game + modes. Let me just break the game you cowards.

It's a real shame the game never got a proper sequel :colbert:
My favorite new game plus modes were actually in Devil Survivor Overclocked/2 and Bravely Default. Those games let you choose what to carry over, so you could be as overpowered as you want, although the DS games required you to be good at the games or do multiple NG+ runs to carry over everything.

some guy on the bus posted:

I should absolutely go back and replay the game this year, it's been a while. Maybe I'll actually beat Chrono Cross while I'm at it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

Shame, I just found a Male Gaze+1 in the very next thread. This menuing sucks

Unrelated: Kingdom Hearts 3 seems really, really bad

Kingdom Hearts 3 is fine but it gives you everything it’s got early so it get repetitive quick.

It also has some of the worst story pacing I’ve ever seen

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
A 1 hour 22 minute Chrono Trigger soundtrack piano cover to celebrate the anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6k0VqMwztE

My favorites are At the bottom of the Night, Magus, and Lavos

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yRorOpd69E

Proper Nep on Switch...well at least the one that doesn't use licensed character names.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tergaso posted:

Radcodex, the developer behind Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics released their newest game Horizon's Gate on Monday. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

This one's an open-world nautical themed SRPG with most of the same mechanics of the last two games. I loved them both dearly, and this release was a total surprise to me.

oh poo poo!11

i hope its good :angel:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Oh my, I've been waiting for something remotely similar to Uncharted Waters for a long while and this could be interesting.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright. I'm going to ask. I've come to the realization that there two things I super enjoy doing in video games: Raising a multitude of dumb babies to be murder blenders ala Fire Emblem or Pokemon, and exploring a giant-rear end open world. Are there any games where I can do both?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game being referred to just before your post seems very applicable for both of those things!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hmmm maybe. I did like Sid Meier's Pirates. OTOH I bounced off of Uncharted Waters 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone tried Langrisser remaster?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ulio posted:

Anyone tried Langrisser remaster?

There is a demo...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Cant believe RF4 is cancelled.

déjà vu

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Elephant Parade posted:

why won't they let me beat the poo poo out of this abused teenager :bahgawd:

I thinking more in regards of how Akechi is revealed as the black-masked villain who kills Haru's dad, tries to kill Joker, and spends most of the time prior to that decrying the Phantom Thieves.

I was mostly flippant with that statement. On a more serious note, the issue I had was that I thought that Shido wasn't going to be the last palace you visit, and after him, you would fight Akechi in his own palace. As it's presented in game, you fight with Akechi in Shido's palace, but all that happens is that at the end of the fight, Shadow Shido pops up and more-or-less kills him offscreen. Maybe it's just me, but his sacrifice felt more like he was doing it out spite. It isn't until later until you talk Lavenza that you find out he was supposed to be Joker's rival.

As far as him being an abused teenager, the game really doesn't touch on that much outside of a few lines. In general, I thought Persona 5 did a good job of initially making you dislike characters, but over time and after certain events, your opinion of them would reverse (Sojiro, Makoto, Yusuke and Futaba to some extent). With him, though, it seemed to really miss the mark.

I dunno, though; it's been at least a year or two since I've played through the game. Could just be that my memories of it are distorted.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, it's that dumb and force-fed as someone that beat P5 a few months ago. 90% of sympathy given to him is him being pretty.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love that faselei's first map where you have a big fight with the rival merc group is just the enemy lieutenant revealing that he literally has no idea how to command units so he brings a book about how to win military battles and when he gets his rear end kicked he's just like "w... what!? but... i did exactly what the book said!!!" and then the entire rival merc group makes fun of him

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished Atelier Totori. It was on the whole I feel an experience I enjoyed more Rorona simply because I was able to become more invested and engaged with its setting/characters, but man if I'll be damned if it didn't make me pull my hair out towards the end trying to beat the final boss and just in general get through the game. People kept warning about how much rougher around the edges it'd be compared to Rorona DX but I wasn't prepared.

Onto Meruru...some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Meruru is the easiest of the trilogy but I think Totori's story and characters are quite a bit stronger.

Thankfully Totori and Mimi are pretty relevant in it still.