Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bomb posted:

anything is better than mm-dd-yyyy but I agree yyyy-mm-dd makes the most sense from a usability standpoint

Actually we should all switch to using Julian Days, literally just the number of days elapsed since the first day of 4713 BC.

Happy 2458919, everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/mikedelmoro/status/1237799918439411712?s=21

This happened around the time that Sen Alexander (R) blocked a bill giving workers 14 days of sick leave

Good lord that's nearly half the country.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh cool, I'm like 90% sure my boss just infected me with Corona today. I'm in STL, and I'm not sure if y'all head here (I'm still catching up on the thread) but we had a the family of a woman with the virus, just skip out on their quarantine. The father ended up going to a father-daughter dance, and one of my upper upper managers was there. So now today my immediate boss (who sits two desks over from me) comes in to work saying he had a bad cough and trouble breathing over the weekend. He then proceeded to cough all over the drat office. And of course, my department doesn't have the option to work from home. I'm basically bathing in purell, but RIP me.

Transmission can occur through the eyes so be sure to really get the purell in there

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Merkel said she expects up to 70% of germans to get infected.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh cool, I'm like 90% sure my boss just infected me with Corona today. I'm in STL, and I'm not sure if y'all head here (I'm still catching up on the thread) but we had a the family of a woman with the virus, just skip out on their quarantine. The father ended up going to a father-daughter dance, and one of my upper upper managers was there. So now today my immediate boss (who sits two desks over from me) comes in to work saying he had a bad cough and trouble breathing over the weekend. He then proceeded to cough all over the drat office. And of course, my department doesn't have the option to work from home. I'm basically bathing in purell, but RIP me.

Tag him

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
We doomed, y'all. DOOMED

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Today Dutch cases jumped from 382 to 500. The governments advice is still to avoid shaking hands with people but go about your business as if everything was normal. Starting to think they are using this as a chance to get a bunch of 80 plussers off the Healthcare network.

Denmark went from 262 cases yesterday, to 442 cases today.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1237813412861816832

Also, lol at that jackass beclowning himself about this not having exponentiational growth when all of these governments are starting to expect 50-70% of the population to get it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

A coworker had scheduled vacation for the entire week - campus is out on spring break. I didn't think much of it until boss sent our department an email of pictures she got from his cruise.

Uh oh.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Hobo Clown posted:

I gotta fly to Florida sometime in the next couple weeks for work. I have no reason to think I've been exposed (more than anyone else at least, it's everywhere but there isn't a confirmed case in my office or neighborhood or anything), but I'm still wondering if I ought to track down a couple masks for the flights just as a precaution. Don't want to freak out other flyers though.

If this flight is scheduled for two weeks from now, don't worry. You won't be going.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Soysaucebeast posted:

forget the purell, follow him home and weld his doors shut

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Anyone else feel like shits about to get bad with Trump classifying everything? Can't possibly be a smart move, even for Mr. Goodbrains.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

My company of 70k employees just ordered full wfh and no travel ....except in emergencies

Hmmmm maybe you shouldn't travel?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My husband had a good point that we will need more to do than video games when poo poo hits the fan, so I bought some puzzles during my daily prepper run. I bought one with orcas jumping out of the water in the moonlight. Then I bought a real big one of Las Vegas in case no one ever gets to travel again.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Get quarantine condoms imo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/stevenblum/status/1237821823682674693

:allbuttons:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Tei posted:

the gently caress!?

when will this peak for italy?, it will peak when the virus have it hard to spread and everyone "easy" to infect is either already resistant, infected or dead.

how long will italy suffer this?

Italy should peak in May or June probably

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've said this before

LA is turbo hosed beyond everywhere else.

We are so far behind its not even funny.

Also our health care system is great (not great) and not overwhelmed at all (it totally is every day).

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Shaocaholica posted:

My wifes work made everyone WFH today only to test out the VPN/network infrastructure when it does hit hard.

:same: except we have to test it next thursday
Things will probably go wrong.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The map that shows COVID-19 cases is actually just a map of test kit locations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/1237823584988475392

This is like 15 minutes into a horror movie

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe corona virus didn't originate in China afterall... They found a frozen alien spaceship thanks to global warming and the rest is to come :unsmigghh:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Can someone give me a good succinct link that explains in simple terms why this is so god drat stupid?

I have a brick stupid coworker (for context, an early 20s black girl from a very well off family who is very sheltered) who keeps saying with utmost uncertainty it came from a Chinese person eating a bat and when I point out that no that’s not true, she semi-jokingly accuses me of being racist for not believing that different cultures eat strange foods :psyduck:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mike12345 posted:

I keep thinking about this scene in Herzog's Nosferatu, where a whole city is overrun with the plague, and the people are just going gently caress it, dancing on the empty market place and having dinner among the rats

In the 1922 Nosferatu, there's a scene where they carry caskets with victims of the plague through the city.
The horrible thing is that these towns had been decimated first by WW1 and then finished off by the flu.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Soysaucebeast posted:

that's basically assault with a deadly weapon. shoot your boss in self defense, your body is your castle and castle doctrine is in effect

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hazo posted:

Can someone give me a good succinct link that explains in simple terms why this is so god drat stupid?

I have a brick stupid coworker (for context, an early 20s black girl from a very well off family who is very sheltered) who keeps saying with utmost uncertainty it came from a Chinese person eating a bat and when I point out that no that’s not true, she semi-jokingly accuses me of being racist for not believing that different cultures eat strange foods :psyduck:

I was of the impression that it went from bat to pangolin to human, actually. They wouldn't have needed to even eat the animal to get the disease it could've been caught in many different ways including just being near to the infected animal because those markets are so disgusting and unhygienic

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I cannot get my boomer mother to realize what is happening. She is going to infect me. :shrug:

She's going to a loving DOG SHOW this weekend, 3 days, here in Southern California, for no reason at all- the 2 little rats are already Grand Champions of their tiny inbred breed.

GODDAMMIT

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

This thing is a pretty grim teaser trailer for an actual world ending disease. It’s basically turbo flu but it’s already completely out of control and unstoppable.

Kinda makes you wonder whether we’re overdue for a mass humanity purge.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Oh duh important to note: mom is a lifelong fanatical Christian Scientist- you know, the cult that doesn't believe in medicine or the germ theory of disease?

That's helpful during our fights

She's super loving rich HA well was, she just lost a fuckton in the market but I do not at all like my chances; she's lived a completely drug free life while I smoked for 30 years and had untreated hypertension for 25. So there is no upside, I've always known she will outlive me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hazo posted:

While there is a decent chance this outbreak started at an exotic meat market, thats not really the only way this kind of poo poo can jump to humans. MERS, which was a very similar virus, broke out in Saudi Arabia from just being around camels enough for the virus to get lucky enough to mutate and spread to people.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

SLOSifl posted:

The map that shows COVID-19 cases is actually just a map of test kit locations.

Yeah, for reference the University of Washington has capacity to run about 1000 tests per day. That's about what the entire state of California can run, and more capacity than all other states combined. So no wonder we're at the center of the outbreak.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Ginette Reno posted:

Good lord that's nearly half the country.

That's better than most estimates. Most countries seem to expect between 60 and 80% of their population to contract the virus over the next year.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Spinz posted:

I cannot get my boomer mother to realize what is happening. She is going to infect me. :shrug:

She's going to a loving DOG SHOW this weekend, 3 days, here in Southern California, for no reason at all- the 2 little rats are already Grand Champions of their tiny inbred breed.

GODDAMMIT

She is your mother but is not "yours", but his own life that she can live whatever way she want. Unlike what medics say, taking risk is okay because we are adults and is our choice. Live la life, live and let live.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Seattle public schools are closed for 2 weeks minimum as of tomorrow.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

70 people? That doesn't seem that bad at all. Typical media fear mongering as usual

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hazo posted:

So imagine that ground zero of an outbreak was Grove Park, Atlanta and the disease was chicken-related. It would be super loving racist to make a crack about the disease coming from black people eating so much fried chicken. Even though that part of Atlanta is very african-american and fried chicken is popular to eat there.

Bird flu doesn't come from eating chicken, it comes from bad livestock practices. Coronavirus didn't come from eating bat soup or stir-fried pangolin, it comes from putting live wild animals into a market with terrible hygiene practices.

China needs to fix their wet markets in general and probably their practice of eating random wild animals. That's not racist. Ted Cruz's "Chinese people eat weird things! :hurr:" joke is racist.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1237827555882700800

Reminder that there is a 100K+ convention for farm equipment going on in Las Vegas right now, ready to infect 1000s of people and bring it back to their rural home towns

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is China air quality back to normal now?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Shaocaholica posted:

So is China air quality back to normal now?

Factories still shut down, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Without all the pollution to kill it, think of all the other viruses and bacteria that may take off in China. Better start polluting stat