Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Speaking from the student perspective, a lot of people that normally do fantastic in the classroom just suck when it comes to online classes. I'm one of those people. Online classes don't work for me at all, in-person classes do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well one of the fucksticks at work announced that the entire thing is a hoax and we have nothing to worry about, the flu kills more people etc etc, all the Trumper Fox News talking points.

He's a disgusting person physically, his hygiene is non existent, we doubt he bathes daily. And he always wants to shake hands and hugs people without warning.

So I'm loving terrified if touching him. Our handbook says employees are required to practice good hygiene behaviors but how to you FORCE someone to be clean?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hell yeah.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Well one of the fucksticks at work announced that the entire thing is a hoax and we have nothing to worry about, the flu kills more people etc etc, all the Trumper Fox News talking points.
He might be a disgusting human being and it's not a hoax, but the flu does kill literally hundreds of thousands of people a year and hardly anyone gives a poo poo, let alone stockpiles supplies like a walking dead scenario is about to begin. Most (?) people aren't even bothered to get a flu shot, but go utterly bonkers over this. It's pretty similar precautions and consequences, for this as the seasonal flu. Of course, anyone that wants to spread the flu is a terrible piece of garbage human being.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

STR posted:

Speaking from the student perspective, a lot of people that normally do fantastic in the classroom just suck when it comes to online classes. I'm one of those people. Online classes don't work for me at all, in-person classes do.

Funny thing is I'm the total opposite. I need to be able to rewind the video because I literally cannot listen and take notes at the same time. I can learn really fast, but only if it's at my own pace with some hands on stuff happening.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

He might be a disgusting human being and it's not a hoax, but the flu does kill literally hundreds of thousands of people a year and hardly anyone gives a poo poo, let alone stockpiles supplies like a walking dead scenario is about to begin. Most (?) people aren't even bothered to get a flu shot, but go utterly bonkers over this. It's pretty similar precautions and consequences, for this as the seasonal flu. Of course, anyone that wants to spread the flu is a terrible piece of garbage human being.

Yeah but the difference is we have vaccines and medicine that can drastically reduce flu symptoms and infection rates, we don't really have poo poo for COVID yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T-Square posted:

Yeah but the difference is we have vaccines and medicine that can drastically reduce flu symptoms and infection rates, we don't really have poo poo for COVID yet.

And it's a new virus that we know nothing about generating immunity, or mutations, or any of that "science" stuff. Plus, the PERCENTAGE of people that have died from COVID is higher than the flu, but you know... Fox Trump talking points.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's a disgusting person physically, his hygiene is non existent, we doubt he bathes daily. And he always wants to shake hands and hugs people without warning.

So I'm loving terrified if touching him. Our handbook says employees are required to practice good hygiene behaviors but how to you FORCE someone to be clean?

Pressure washer and a foam-cannon attachment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been in a group chat with coworkers, we're having a meeting tomorrow. I'm not putting up with this poo poo.

Edit: If I catch this poo poo I'm going to every RNC campaign office I can find and I'm hugging everyone.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 11, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

One of our maintenance trainees was this person a couple of years back, he was explicitly told he'd be sent home unpaid if he turned up stinking again so he involved the Union, the rep told him he wouldn't represent him unless he had a shower every day and that the company was being quite reasonable. He chose to leave after a couple of days of being sent home.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KillHour posted:

Funny thing is I'm the total opposite. I need to be able to rewind the video because I literally cannot listen and take notes at the same time. I can learn really fast, but only if it's at my own pace with some hands on stuff happening.

My issue is more ADD than anything - I get too easily distracted if I'm sitting at home on a computer. Even in classes I still get distracted, but I always had a laptop with me and used it strictly for note taking when in class.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

I work in this field at university, since we started recording lectures maybe 5 years ago there's been a massive uptake in the service which is rad. A lot of lecturers are against it because they think students will just be lazy and not turn up, but it's their money to piss away if they fail so what's the issue? Those who want to turn up for lectures will do, those who want to ask questions will be there, those who want to review the material again are able to do so whenever they want... Offering this as an additional service to students just makes sense for many reasons. We're currently sat at 519773.1 hours of lectures on our servers and average 118 lectures recorded per day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

STR posted:

My issue is more ADD than anything - I get too easily distracted if I'm sitting at home on a computer. Even in classes I still get distracted, but I always had a laptop with me and used it strictly for note taking when in class.

ADD for me too, except it manifests itself as I'm listening to whatever is being talked about when suddenly something else pops in my head and I miss half a paragraph and now I'm totally lost. I also sometimes have a hard time hearing/making out words. Being able to rewind and hear it again is a life saver.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I work in this field at university, since we started recording lectures maybe 5 years ago there's been a massive uptake in the service which is rad. A lot of lecturers are against it because they think students will just be lazy and not turn up, but it's their money to piss away if they fail so what's the issue? Those who want to turn up for lectures will do, those who want to ask questions will be there, those who want to review the material again are able to do so whenever they want... Offering this as an additional service to students just makes sense for many reasons. We're currently sat at 519773.1 hours of lectures on our servers and average 118 lectures recorded per day.

This is awesome and probably would have stopped me from dropping out.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

I am in Indiana as well, close to KY.

Last Friday I got sick. Still have a dry cough, but my fever went away yesterday.

They wouldn’t give me a test. They asked if I had been to Iran, china or italy. Or if I had been in contact with someone known to have it. They also told me not to go to the doctor, so I am back at work today. Who knows what it was, but I can tell you what the symptoms were.

And thats kinda my point. We aren’t testing when symptoms match. Just people who have known exposure. Thats why we find clusters, and by that point its already spread beyond. We can try to slow it down and hope the weather warms up and helps out but odds are you will be exposed. This isn’t something we can stop by washing hands. The human factor is too big in this. Maybe you do everything right but theres always one person who won’t. So whats the best course of action at this point? Close everything down, crash the economy and incite riots over toilet paper?

If its any consolation the disease seems to hit the MAGA demographic the worst. 70+, pre existing conditions, smokers etc. We are more likely to survive.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Whole office was sent home today for 4 weeks. Thank you tech industry job. It helps when a large company in Boston has a conference and gives the think to 70 people (confirmed).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I wish I could work from home, construction would be so much easier if I never had to go onto a jobsite. At least I'll be able to weld from home if my classes are put on hold :v:

One of our subcontractors got back from Poland last week with a wicked cough that he was kind enough to share with me and I've been running fevers since Saturday and almost threw up from the dizziness yesterday. I can't take time off or go to the doctor because I need the money from working, thanks Uncle Sam!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Agreed. I love the concept of online classes, and convenience, but I flat out won't focus well if left to my own devices. A classroom sort of triggers or enforces "learning!" behavior in me.

KillHour posted:

That's the part that works. It's just getting my own mind in the right frame that's difficult. I'm easily distracted.

Rhyno posted:

That's a problem for HR. *You* just avoid them.

cakesmith handyman posted:

One of our maintenance trainees was this person a couple of years back, he was explicitly told he'd be sent home unpaid if he turned up stinking again so he involved the Union, the rep told him he wouldn't represent him unless he had a shower every day and that the company was being quite reasonable. He chose to leave after a couple of days of being sent home.

I can't imagine choosing unemployment over taking a shower.
I *like* being clean.

rdb posted:

If its any consolation the disease seems to hit the MAGA demographic the worst. 70+, pre existing conditions, smokers etc. We are more likely to survive.

That's grim, but true.

The Door Frame posted:

I wish I could work from home, construction would be so much easier if I never had to go onto a jobsite. At least I'll be able to weld from home if my classes are put on hold :v:

One of our subcontractors got back from Poland last week with a wicked cough that he was kind enough to share with me and I've been running fevers since Saturday and almost threw up from the dizziness yesterday. I can't take time off or go to the doctor because I need the money from working, thanks Uncle Sam!

I'm a contractor, so no sick time, and I'm a literal computer toucher so can't WFH.
Hopefully everyone *else* will WFH so I don't have to touch them or their computer.
Thoughts and prayers please, because we all know how well they work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yep. You just straight up tell them that they loving stink and need to learn to wash.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

I'm a contractor, so no sick time, and I'm a literal computer toucher so can't WFH.
Hopefully everyone *else* will WFH so I don't have to touch them or their computer.
Thoughts and prayers please, because we all know how well they work.

Get a big box of gloves and a spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the option to work from home but I'm still going into the office and most of my coworkers are doing the same.
I would work from home but I get gently caress all done and don't like it. There's no where in my apartment that I can work without distractions and I don't have space for extra monitors and such to be fully productive. Once I get my house I'm going to set up a home office and see if I can make working from home work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

My mother in law is 70+ and I don't want her to die, hardly a consolation for people that have elderly loved ones.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Our handbook says employees are required to practice good hygiene behaviors but how to you FORCE someone to be clean?

That is a problem for HR! Fortunately you are probably in a big enough organization that you have an HR.

So at work we use Oracle's Netsuite ERP. It was down yesterday, figured it would be working today. It is not. Still down. This is total bullshit on their part. Two days of cutting our revenue? Sitting around like a lame duck? Useless.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife sent me a pic of Faneuil Hall (which is basically a giant food court) in downtown Boston, and it's loving ghost town at lunch time when it's usually packed and you can barely walk through it. I didn't even know what it was when she sent it to me because I've never seen the place empty.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife sent me a pic of Faneuil Hall (which is basically a giant food court) in downtown Boston, and it's loving ghost town at lunch time when it's usually packed and you can barely walk through it. I didn't even know what it was when she sent it to me because I've never seen the place empty.

Pretty sure I shot some super mutants in there

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

same, and with being able to pause the instructor I can write much neater notes than what was possible in a traditional classroom.

STR posted:

Discipline! You need Discipline! Set a block of time for studying, phone gets muted and placed out of view, superfluous distractions on the laptop also gently caress right off. If you can't manage that, have a craptop around with a bare bones install just for doing classwork.

I've done online classes for a few years now. The content is similar to me like traditional classrooms where instructor styles vary greatly. Some are good, some less so. So far I'm relatively happy with the system and I can maintain a regimen that fits in with everything else in life.

E: also ADHD here

T-Square
May 14, 2009

We literally have to have a conversation with like two people a year about their body odor. I remember like two years ago two of our service advisers smelled so bad that you could smell the funk emanating from their work area down the hallway, and they were literally getting poor customer reviews which effects their monthly bonus amount. Like, you're costing yourself money by being a literal child and not bathing for days on end.

Also I walked past one of the creepy newer guys in the stairwell yesterday who works in a small dungeon office with all women and he stank like poo poo. So he'll probably be the next one to be told to take a loving shower.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JytaA7WOuHk

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you enjoy treating people like idiot children and teaching them how to bathe, join the military! I've been on both shower and toothbrush watch, where I have to literally watch someone shower/ brush their teeth because several direct orders for them to do so were ineffective.

E ^^^omfg the home made biohazard suits.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All SUNY and CUNY schools going online only March 19th. This is crazy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
While the corona virus should be respected and treated seriously, the dumbassery that is going on because of it is just mind boggling. People hoarding poo poo like idiots and panicing. I bet it's not the people that are in actual danger neither, but the healthiest of idiots that do it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, it's a long weekend that was supposed to end with me going to the Bond movie premiere, but :sigh:.

I've scheduled myself for a session at PECLA on Saturday and I'm hoping to go for a drive along Angeles Crest/hit some canyons on Monday morning. Maybe I'll grab the F-type for Sunday, Alfa on Monday.

FYI after an abnormally dry winter, you picked the wettest time possible to visit LA. Here's the weather for La Canada, where Angeles Crest starts:

If you do go up the crest, you may want to go on Sunday. Looks like some rain, but Monday will have heavier rain and also snow as you go higher up the crest (you can search the weather for Wrightwood to get a better idea of the weather as you gain elevation).

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cage posted:

All SUNY and CUNY schools going online only March 19th. This is crazy.

Duke University has extended spring break followed by online-only classes. I wonder if most/many universities expect to follow.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

The Prong Song posted:

Duke University has extended spring break followed by online-only classes. I wonder if most/many universities expect to follow.

UVM just announced today that they're shifting to remote/online classes after spring break (this week).

I know some schools in boston are already doing the same as well.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ban on gatherings larger than 250 people in several counties in Washington now.

According to my co-workers this is some sort of liberal plot to....???...?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MomJeans420 posted:

FYI after an abnormally dry winter, you picked the wettest time possible to visit LA. Here's the weather for La Canada, where Angeles Crest starts:

If you do go up the crest, you may want to go on Sunday. Looks like some rain, but Monday will have heavier rain and also snow as you go higher up the crest (you can search the weather for Wrightwood to get a better idea of the weather as you gain elevation).

I'm going in April.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Go check out the chat thread in TFF, they're linking a bunch of Twitter threads about all of the right wing conspiracy theorists and talking heads like Alex Jones, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh all talking about how it's all just a scam by the liberals and the deep state, etc.

E: For clarification, TFF is pointing out how horribly stupid those people are being, not agreeing with them.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

UVM just announced today that they're shifting to remote/online classes after spring break (this week).

I know some schools in boston are already doing the same as well.

Wisconsin only has two confirmed cases, which were from like last week or something and the number hasn't risen yet, but apparently UW Madison, UW Milwaukee, and UW Green Bay have been or will be shutting down/evacuating dorms and going to online courses.

Literally like fifteen minutes ago I walked around a corner into a cloud of lemon Lysol that was being sprayed blindly into the air by our GM. That's not really how that works, but thanks for getting it in my face!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My mother in law is 70+ and I don't want her to die, hardly a consolation for people that have elderly loved ones.

Not wishing death on anyone, I apologize for coming off like an rear end. The information I saw is the death rate climbs dramatically as age increases past 70. Something like 14% of people over the age of 80 who contracted it died. Keep in mind what goes into that statistic, 110k cases mostly in China.

I think thats part of the strategy here in the US. They don’t have test kits for everyone, they will likely be reserved for politicians, healthcare workers, people likely to suffer severe consequences from exposure, and people who have been in contact with someone who has already tested positive. The rest of us young healthy people can pound sand and get back to work.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BigPaddy posted:

Whole office was sent home today for 4 weeks. Thank you tech industry job. It helps when a large company in Boston has a conference and gives the think to 70 people (confirmed).

Yikes, I was in Boston a couple weekends ago around thousands of people and even walked to Chinatown while there. Definitely would have been sick by now I assume

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

shy boy from chess club posted:

even walked to Chinatown while there

Come on, man, you're better than that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

rdb posted:

Not wishing death on anyone, I apologize for coming off like an rear end. The information I saw is the death rate climbs dramatically as age increases past 70. Something like 14% of people over the age of 80 who contracted it died. Keep in mind what goes into that statistic, 110k cases mostly in China.

I think thats part of the strategy here in the US. They don’t have test kits for everyone, they will likely be reserved for politicians, healthcare workers, people likely to suffer severe consequences from exposure, and people who have been in contact with someone who has already tested positive. The rest of us young healthy people can pound sand and get back to work.

To be fair, according to what little we actually do know, it shouldn't be worse than the flu for us. If they have to be rationing supplies*, I'm not opposed to falling on that sword and getting the bonus of not being quarantined. I'd prefer not to be sick, but whether I've got one viral respiratory infection or another doesn't mean much to me when I'm sick and there's no effective antiviral treatment for what I've got

*we should not have to ration supplies, this is flat out unacceptable. How in the world would they'd let potentially contagious people walk around with a virus that we have no immunity to and so little solid information about?

Elviscat posted:

Stop Trump rallies, of course!

It's the same as every other anti-science conspiracy, from flat earth to antivax. There's an extremely nebulous goal that we can't understand and they can't articulate, but they have exclusive knowledge of how to prove that someone is trying to reach that extremely nebulous goal for unknown reasons