Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I appreciate the sleep apps that attempt to wake you up when you are not in a deep cycle, meaning that you wake up feeling less lovely despite maybe having less sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You need metrics to tell you that you didn't sleep well?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TraderStav posted:

I appreciate the sleep apps that attempt to wake you up when you are not in a deep cycle, meaning that you wake up feeling less lovely despite maybe having less sleep.

This.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Matt Zerella posted:

You need metrics to tell you that you didn't sleep well?
Well how else are you gonna know? Hire a wizard?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You need metrics to tell you that you had a good workout?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well how else are you gonna know? Hire a wizard?

https://youtu.be/8NajwAMLn3o

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Yeah this I get. The metrics? I mean come on. Christ get a sleep study done. If you can afford one of those expensive bed things the money is better spent on that.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Which is your favorite sleep app for this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Daemonqueller posted:

Which is your favorite sleep app for this?

Combo of AutoSleep and AutoWake. They work really really well. I especially like that my alarm doesn't wake up my wife as I get up significantly earlier than her.

AutoWake has the ability to shame you if you continue to hit snooze to help deter that habit.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Combo of AutoSleep and AutoWake. They work really really well. I especially like that my alarm doesn't wake up my wife as I get up significantly earlier than her.

AutoWake has the ability to shame you if you continue to hit snooze to help deter that habit.

AutoWake is really good except for some loving reason the developer really loves text to speech and has a bunch of it enabled by default, so it announces the alarm time when you turn it on (which is super fun if your partner is already asleep), and the default alarm is some bullshit that starts with “Wakey wakey!”, poorly pronounced as “whacky whacky” by lovely text-to-speech. At least that’s easy to turn off.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have some questions: I guess Apple lightened up on allowing third party alarm apps at some point? Do these work if you don’t wear your watch to bed? If so, are they still worth it?

I still miss my gradual alarm and ability to tweak the snooze timer from Android days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

You guys all need Ring Fit Adventure for Switch. Prepare to blow through your rings.

I did this Saturday and it seems p cool so far. Thank god for checking every brick and mortar store in the area and finding a random Target with it in stock.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If anyone has been having issues with their move calories being an insanely small number starting around Sunday, check your weight in Health. It appears there may be an issue that is taking weight data in kg from somewhere and displaying it as pounds. This would obviously reduce your weight quite a lot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone participate in the studies in the Research app? I signed up for the heart and hearing ones last night and my watch battery on my 5 is getting absolutely nuked today. I’m down 25% in just 3 hours of wearing it with no real usage.

The hearing one needs all the environmental sounds settings enabled (which I had enabled already, but I don’t use the hearing complication). The study says it’ll ask me questions about any super loud noises it detects, so I’m guessing it’s constantly reading the noise level regardless of using the complication or not.

The heart one says it reads basically all of your health metrics, and obviously heart rate. I haven’t noticed the heart rate monitor LED on any more the usual though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How do you opt in?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do you opt in?

Just download the Research app and you can opt-in to what looks to be 3 active studies.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve been enrolled in the studies since the Research app first came out and I haven’t really noticed any dip in battery life.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I’ve been enrolled in the studies since the Research app first came out and I haven’t really noticed any dip in battery life.

Both the heart and hearing ones?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve had random days where the watch chews through the battery at an insane rate. It doesn’t seem to be connected to any one app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Only time I've had watch battery issues is when I'm rolling with a public ios beta on my phone.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Both the heart and hearing ones?

Yep. I've been wearing my watch for 8 hours at this point today and my battery life is at 70%, moved about 800 so far with 40 minutes of "exercise" (running to the bus stop so I didn't miss it).

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

My gf and I just got apple watches yesterday and have been playing around with them. Is the Walkie Talkie function particularly janky, or do we have something weird going on? It seems to hang on saying the other person is talking fairly often even though they definitely aren't, and no sound is coming through. We also seem to have occasional connection issues, which I suppose could be networking related.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's janky.

Granted, I haven't used it other than just trying it out when it was first added, so maybe it's gotten better? Guessing it's still janky since Siri on the watch is dogshit garbage after all this time.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I got a series 3 about a month ago and sometimes I’ll see the notification dot and find that I can’t swipe down or up to see the messages. Left and right still work to change faces and if I press the crown I can swipe all directions on the app cluster. Restarting the watch fixes it and I think it’s fixed itself at least one time. Did I get a dud? Should I take back to the store? I doubt I could replicate the issue on demand.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Wouldn't the hearing app listen constantly anyway because it needs to monitor for loud noises? I get the alerts regardless either way no matter if I got the complication going or not.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I've been running with my xS iPhone (tracking in Strava) and my S5 watch (tracking in the Workout app) for a while, and the distances never match. Fairly consistently, the phone gets to a mile when the watch only has 0.93. Does something need to be recalibrated? I thought since they both have their own GPS that they should be fairly consistent.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Try strava on the watch and see if it's the app? :shrug:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The watch doesn’t update its position as often so it might be straightening your path a little compared to the phone. But if you have the phone with you, it’s supposed to use the phone’s gps anyway so :shrug:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Any way to get my up next or extended calendar as a watch face? I can add complications for calendar but I want to know what's coming up in a few days, not what is currently occurring right now

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is there a way to force the apple watch to truly be always on?

I want it to be exactly like I've raised the watch, but all the time. Don't care if that makes it last 4 hours.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 11, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

Is there a way to force the apple watch to truly be always on?

I want it to be exactly like I've raised the watch, but all the time. Don't care if that makes it last 4 hours.

Unfortunately, I think the only solution is to get the gen 5 watch

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Unfortunately, I think the only solution is to get the gen 5 watch

Oh sorry I should clarify, I do own the 5th gen watch.

The problem is, the "sleep" mode that shows while you're walking around is a compromise that removes the more energy-intensive elements like bright dials etc.

Like this:

This is cool, but I want the watch to ALWAYS display the full-brightness display and face details that you get when you're actively looking at the watch. I understand that would reduce battery life, but I'm ok with that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s not possible.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I guess that's kind of the poo poo thing about Apple, they usually decide what's best for you. 90% of the time I agree with them, but god help you if you're in the 10% on anything ever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Like having a watch battery last more than a day.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Like having a watch battery last more than a day.

Ideally the apple watch would have a sliding scale of features that you could modify to affect battery life.

Nothing fancy, just a power usage setting that would affect how often apps update, how much of the always on display is displayed in standby, etc.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

Ideally the apple watch would have a sliding scale of features that you could modify to affect battery life.

Nothing fancy, just a power usage setting that would affect how often apps update, how much of the always on display is displayed in standby, etc.

That is not ideal for 99.9% of people. At all. It would cause more people problems than people it helps. Keeping the display at full brightness with everything updating constantly would last like an hour. That's objectively a terrible experience. The reason the always-on works at all is because the refresh rate is like once a second or some poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, I've been working from home all this week, hardly any activity, and my Series 5 still loving dies at 9-10pm.
Not that I can really bring it in right now anyway, but I already did and they sent it back saying it passed diagnostics. It's probably a waste trying to send it back again, but man does this piss me off.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Very unusual. I did the same with using Powerbeats pros as headset for calls in addition to a walk workout every day and I end at about 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Man, I've been working from home all this week, hardly any activity, and my Series 5 still loving dies at 9-10pm.
Not that I can really bring it in right now anyway, but I already did and they sent it back saying it passed diagnostics. It's probably a waste trying to send it back again, but man does this piss me off.

Turned it off and on again?