Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I would love to hear anyone's reasoning on NOT buying GILD right now

Any reason at all to do something other than Buy lots and lots of GILD as soon as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Save that money and buy GILD calls

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I guess it's moderately pricey right now so you might be able to make more money long run by buying cheaper stuff? Maybe? I dunno. Theres always the possibility that remdesivir doesn't work, though I think there's a pretty good chance that it does.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Based on what? Where are these numbers all coming from? What determines a prediction of 40% versus 30% versus 20% drop in the market? CNBC is already flush with people pulling numbers out of their rear end so they can get their name on television and feed off the fear. However where do their predictions come from?

Because we're looking at a complete quarantine of large parts of the country in 1-2 weeks. Markets aren't going to like that

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Any reason at all to do something other than Buy lots and lots of GILD as soon as possible

Buy. Should run up to 80 or more before April trial results.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Because I already bought it in the 50s and 60s :smug:

Have been sitting most of this out but bought sept $126 puts on LQD for 6.50 and I am ready for A Happening

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Everyone except the US nationalizes their product, and we are too loving broke to buy it after everyone loses their jobs/health care and savings.

Also might prove to be ineffective. Anyone got a recent report on how it's been doing? Most recent I see is a highly scientific "might be 50-50 it works".

NotGentle
Feb 10, 2019

Baddog posted:

Most recent I see is a highly scientific "might be 50-50 it works".

Best odds I've had in years. Selling SP500 index shares and buying GILD sounds like the smart move right now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sepist posted:

With volatility so high, the /ES has this easy trading signal. If the 5 minute chart stochastic dip diverges from the chart dip, you can play it for 10/20 point profit:

Doesn't backtest as well when the VIX goes back to boring, but for now it hits every time. I usually enter the market when the K and D cross.
I've been trying to trade /ES on these exactly 10-20 points swings the last 2 days and I've been getting my rear end handed to me. Can you explain a little more?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not surprising at the ramp up at the end as usual. Would have preferred it just to flush to get better buying opportunities but looks like we will keep chopping.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No idea!! I just get a kick out of talking to him because he's THE wealth management guy for a handful of $100M+ net worth individuals and always sounds so gosh darn confident

Also his recs:

- Go deep & long on BA, DIS, UAL
- Buy CCL immediately and sell for 125% once the opportunity arises from a bounce in the next 12 months
- MSFT and GOOGL are good buys now too but index investors already have enough exposure

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 12, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

My brother bought Teladoc on my advice sometime in December last year. As of today he is up 60% while the market is in bear market lol. What a lucky bastard. He doesn't own many other equities other than gold miners so his performance has been ridiculous on his investment portfolio.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also his recs:

- Go deep & long on BA, DIS, UAL
- Buy CCL immediately and sell for 125% once the opportunity arises from a bounce in the next 12 months
- MSFT and GOOGL are good buys now too but index investors already have enough exposure

Once this thing turns into a recession, I'm really thinking about buying MSFT.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ulio posted:

My brother bought Teladoc on my advice sometime in December last year. As of today he is up 60% while the market is in bear market lol. What a lucky bastard. He doesn't own many other equities other than gold miners so his performance has been ridiculous on his investment portfolio.

its me, your brother more tips please

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
If you buy something like UAL right now, you are buying it above where it was 3 years ago. I am not saying dont buy, im just keeping perspective on where some of these equities have moved during the trump boom. Airlines have gone nuts the past few years while capacity has outgrown demand, now corona and who knows how low it can go - it was $5 in 2009

Will dems win the white house and successfully roll back trumps tax cuts? That possibility needs to be priced in as well, i think the market is trying to price in a lot of things related to the oncoming hangover from the trump gluttony. Only thing that looks genuinely cheaply priced so far is energy and maybe even BA soon, but if order cancellations start rolling in on BA it could g et back to double digits

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been trying to trade /ES on these exactly 10-20 points swings the last 2 days and I've been getting my rear end handed to me. Can you explain a little more?

1. Load /ES
2. Load the StochasticsFull (if you're using ThinkOrSwim)
3. Wait for this kind of signal:

Essentially, you're looking at two dips. The second chart dip is lower than the first chart dip, HOWEVER, on the StochasticsFull, the second dip is HIGHER on the oscillator, indicating a weak trend. It almost always goes up for 10-20 points when the market is open.

Try trading it with play money or a /MES contract to validate. Happens a few times during the day.

Edit: This is known as divergence trading, normally it's kind of meh but with volatility so high it's excellent

Sepist fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 12, 2020

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Ulio posted:

Randomly bought Teladoc in my robinhood gambling account and somehow still up 132% in the last year!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

its me, your brother more tips please

ALL IN ON BITCOIN BABY!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Welp, Gold has been a pretty lovely "Safe Haven" so far. It's saving grace is that it has dropped less than everything else I guess..

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Trump is about to announce the Corona Trade Deal (Phase 1), the markets about the be juiced

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shammypants posted:

Trump is about to announce the Corona Trade Deal (Phase 1), the markets about the be juiced
Supposedly Jared Kushner and Stephen Miller worked on it which makes me very worried as someone who’s long /ES (rip my AH gains)

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Number doesn't like Europe travel ban

*Realtalk this is actually the most common sense Trump has spoken*

Number likes loans? Number likes relief.txt?.Nope

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yikes. So his plan is to try and get money to rich people who need it in these hard times. I guess some investors will get a boner over that

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Futures selling off hard on Trumps comments. Back to today's lows.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Financial security for people who are ill with or caring for someone ill with coronavirus

OK cool but they literally don't test for it in my state so....

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I’m sure some rich people’s attorneys will help them defer tax payments and get sweet loans don’t worry

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If we open below 270 on SPY tomorrow I am guessing lots of stop losses will be triggered. Still market could rally by morning but this could get nasty if we stay in this range.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
"Stay home!"
"Relief will come through payroll taxes. Work hard!"

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
jesus

good news for number? maybe

bad news for number? holy gently caress

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITANKISSER69 posted:

So my roommate told me last night that his company (or I assume his company's parent company) is going to be manufacturing COVID testing kits. Good time to get in on the ground floor?

Fugeddaboutit. Subsidiary company is doing the mfg and they're 4% of the parent company.

Apparently Pence told the CEO to shut up on a phone call on Monday.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently Trump is thinking of blocking travel from Europe/Italy and have 4-6 weeks of unemployment insurance. You idiot!
Why didn’t I go short before he started talking :negative:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Tom Hanks got the roni, now poo poo is gonna get real

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sepist posted:

Essentially, you're looking at two dips. The second chart dip is lower than the first chart dip, HOWEVER, on the StochasticsFull, the second dip is HIGHER on the oscillator, indicating a weak trend. It almost always goes up for 10-20 points when the market is open.

Try trading it with play money or a /MES contract to validate. Happens a few times during the day.

Edit: This is known as divergence trading, normally it's kind of meh but with volatility so high it's excellent
If I understand correctly, does the yellow arrow point to a buy signal?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

December 2018 on deck

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Why didn’t I go short before he started talking :negative:

gently caress. Wish I shorted all airlines. God damnit.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Josh Lyman posted:

If I understand correctly, does the yellow arrow point to a buy signal?

No, stochastics doesnt have two dips in that picture

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Financial security for people who are ill with or caring for someone ill with coronavirus

OK cool but they literally don't test for it in my state so....

Had a family member ask me how many people in my county have tested positive and I'm like...well 0 but I don't think they are testing so welp.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lol AND there goes the basketball season. Definitely gonna be a nosedive tomorrow

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
hell, there's a dive tonight. Down 3.5% at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

We are doing an economy very strongly.