Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1237814760663420929

A little deeper analysis into the whole 'lol young people don't vote' narrative that's taken hold, it looks like a bigger factor was older voters coming out in much larger numbers and swamping any increases in the youth vote.

For a big chunk of the Dem electorate Joe is the 'safe' candidate, especially among older voters, and I think that looking back the the late Feb stock market collapse and breakout of COVID-19 will end up being identified as key drivers in swinging things in Biden's favor. Still remains to be seen whether that fear will be enough to overcome Trump in November though, and it's not a great basis for a long-term governing coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/sta...ingawful.com%2F

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

facialimpediment posted:

The President is going to go on live TV at 9PM and say it's all the fake news wrecking his perfect, beautiful economy.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1237879828256194562?s=19

And as the states step in to unfuck the feds' lack of response and singlehandedly mitigate Donny's disaster, he'll claim double victory.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CORVIDS CURE BOOMERS

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1237814760663420929

A little deeper analysis into the whole 'lol young people don't vote' narrative that's taken hold, it looks like a bigger factor was older voters coming out in much larger numbers and swamping any increases in the youth vote.

For a big chunk of the Dem electorate Joe is the 'safe' candidate, especially among older voters, and I think that looking back the the late Feb stock market collapse and breakout of COVID-19 will end up being identified as key drivers in swinging things in Biden's favor. Still remains to be seen whether that fear will be enough to overcome Trump in November though, and it's not a great basis for a long-term governing coalition.

So primary voting population went up, but the youth vote didn't track. you can phrase that however you want but if the old people numbers went up and the middle people numbers go up and the young people numbers don't go up that means a smaller percentage of the youth vote came out in comparison with the rest of the population.

You can try and think of this as old people came out as a result of young people coming out, and I wish that was true, but old people don't even know that people under 40 exist. To them everybody under 40 is 17 and snotty.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 12, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Welp

quote:

Three new cases reported Wednesday evening included a Baltimore County resident in his 60s who worked at the recent American Israel Public Affairs Committee in Washington, D.C.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PookBear posted:

CORVIDS CURE BOOMERS

--Alfred Hitchcock

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bird cooch posted:

So primary voting population went up, but the youth vote didn't track. you can phrase that however you want but if the old people numbers went up and the middle people numbers go up and the young people numbers don't go up that means a smaller percentage of the youth vote came out in comparison with the rest of the population.

You can try and think of this as old people came out as a result of young people coming out, and I wish that was true, but old people don't even know that people under 40 exist. To them everybody under 40 is 17 and snotty.

That spreadsheet right there says the youth numbers did go up. What are you talking about?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's not tethered. It doesn't track. Looking at other states it's even more apparent. The vote participation increased but the youth vote did not increase at the same rate.

Just like folks have been saying.

Like this dude has the sum total cell cut off of his screen grab for some reason.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 12, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

dubzee posted:

A current event that doesn't suck. Richard Marx beast mode :kingsley:

I don't want anyone to leave here misreading the context. Richard Marx is correct. Myriad is both a noun and an adjective, and therefore it was wrong to correct him. Source: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/myriad

Proof this counts as current events:

Merriam-Webster, emphasis mine posted:

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get the popcorn it's time for the shitshow of shook Trump trying to reassure the nation from something he himself is actually scared of.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woofer posted:

Right but trump has the bigger megaphone so whatever anyone else says/said is irrelevant.

The liberal media! The liberal media!

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

shame on an IGA posted:

Get the popcorn it's time for the shitshow of shook Trump trying to reassure the nation from something he himself is actually scared of.

lol, he's blaming us lot :D You loving bastards :D

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

30 day travel ban to and from Europe but not including the UK.

Uh

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
He sounds like poo poo. *sniff*

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

He sounds sick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

When you look at the 2016 Republican Party platform, there's all kinds of stuff they wanted to pass, in large part because there's only so much you can break or defund though executive action alone. They failed, for a variety of reasons, and those failures are going to hurt them on election day.

Maybe in primaries, not on election day.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey dorks I know one line answers are funny and hilarious and prove you're the smarter person, but I for one am really enjoying the effort Ace is putting into his/her posts so maybe try engage a little more

Ok.

John McARpistol isn't going to vote Democrat because the GOP didn't pass silencer reform. He's going to vote for whatever R is on the list because they're still his best chance at getting what he wants.

dubzee posted:

A current event that doesn't suck. Richard Marx beast mode :kingsley:

:drat:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

He sounds sick.

You can't exactly tell if his face is flushed or pale.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

At least on the fox feed the camera is so confused by the gold curtains that the white balance keeps bouncing from pink trump to bronze trump

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bail out working americans with "low interest" loans. :yeah:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Holy poo poo they're blocking all European inbound travel for 30 days.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Immanentized posted:

I'm really shocked he didn't shut down the mexican border tbh.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Honestly if you're going to go big you might as well suspend travel from Asia too

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sharknado slashfic posted:

Tbh if you're going to go big you might as well suspend travel from Asia too

he wants us west coasters to get it :tinfoil:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

piL posted:

I don't want anyone to leave here misreading the context. Richard Marx is correct. Myriad is both a noun and an adjective, and therefore it was wrong to correct him. Source: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/myriad

Proof this counts as current events:

I mean yeah?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha one of my coworkers left for a 3 week vacation in amsterdam and ukraine yesterday

Also, chastened, conventionally serious Trump is more terrifying than I believed possible

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Immanentized posted:

except the UK, which, clearly has no contact with the rest of Europe and no coronavirus in it

they have no plan

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Everyone knows that the coronavirus is spreading here and there's no real point in banning travel.

Donnie can't admit it, because he's told his base that it's just the flu and no big deal.

He's only fooling Republicans.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1237909183900659713

It didn't work.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

haha one of my coworkers left for a 3 week vacation in amsterdam and ukraine yesterday

Also, chastened, conventionally serious Trump is more terrifying than I believed possible

He looked so loving wired on amphetamines. It looked like he was barely holding it together. Like, it felt like he was shaking a little.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hannity is barely holding it together right now

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1237909462628917248?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Jesus loving christ.

Tom Hanks caught the coronavirus in Australia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

https://twitter.com/tomhanks/status/1237909897020207104

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2020

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
They're apparently including import cargo as part of the ban, which is just incredibly stupid.

e: Apparently this is the product of noted Brain Geniuses Miller and Kush-daddy

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Everyone knows that the coronavirus is spreading here and there's no real point in banning travel.

Donnie can't admit it, because he's told his base that it's just the flu and no big deal.

He's only fooling Republicans.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1237909183900659713

It didn't work.

already -500

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

Hannity is barely holding it together right now

What's he doing?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh boy, I do love a good dumpster fire.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

......No

:smith:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Immanentized posted:

They're apparently including import cargo as part of the ban, which is just incredibly stupid.

lol half of my job is ordering maintenance parts from germany gonna enjoy this vacation

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
slamming the barn door shut weeks later to show the base he's doing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Halting cadence, shifty eyes, just generally being a much, much less effective and low-confidence liar than usual