Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Are there six water dials in that shower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HardDiskD posted:

I actually love this bathroom, but does this really open up to some kind of patio or...?
There's probably a pool out there and that thing's the pool shower.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Good advice. Also don't be afraid to just pick a wall and paint it, if you don't like it you can paint it again. Obvious but more than half the walls in my house are the original poo poo beige "fawn" and I'm just now getting around to painting them because I didn't want to paint the wrong colour.
Paying someone else to paint my place (everything but the bathrooms and the trim) right after closing was the best thing I ever done did. It would have taken me 15 years to convince myself to paint everything once there was furniture and poo poo to deal with.

As far as picking colors, if there are any elements you aren't going to replace that can be a great place to start, whether that's flooring or carpeting or cabinets or whatever. I picked the color for my kitchen based on the color of the granite countertops, and then the colors for the living room based on what would look good next to the kitchen and so on.

I also can't encourage anyone trying to pick paint enough to go to Home Depot or Lowes or whatever (it doesn't matter if you're going to buy the paint somewhere else) and nab a big stack of their little color booklets from all of the brands they have. A lot of them will have little curated color collections with design ideas that can give you some idea of how they might actually look in a house. There's a world of difference between looking at a bunch of colors on Sherwin Williams' website and looking at them physically reproduced on an object you can bring into your actual space with your actual lighting etc etc.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "baroque"

:nws: :nws:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

:nws: :nws:

Okay, I'm stumped. Where is the piano?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

There's probably a pool out there and that thing's the pool shower.

It sure looks like one, yeah.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

barbecue at the folks posted:

Man, that cooking island with a coal barbecue, that is dope as all hell.

I like it, too, but there's a big problem with it - the dials for the electric elements are behind the elements.

Meaning you have to reach over them to turn them off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I like it, too, but there's a big problem with it - the dials for the electric elements are behind the elements.

Meaning you have to reach over them to turn them off.

Aren’t most stoves like that though?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lord Bude posted:

Aren’t most stoves like that though?
Generally speaking the dials are in front of the burners, or else on an elevated point behind the burners. In this case you would have to lean forwards to hit that dial. It would be bad

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wallet posted:

Paying someone else to paint my place (everything but the bathrooms and the trim) right after closing was the best thing I ever done did. It would have taken me 15 years to convince myself to paint everything once there was furniture and poo poo to deal with.

100% this.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

It's really annoying to me that this bathroom isn't symmetrical.

Also, I'm the sad little crt tv tucked into the corner over the......linen closet?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

it shriveled up posted:

It's really annoying to me that this bathroom isn't symmetrical.

Also, I'm the sad little crt tv tucked into the corner over the......linen closet?

It always blows my mind to see expensive and tacky-rear end boomer paradise mcmansions that almost invariably still have a CRT tucked away somewhere, ostensibly still in use.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Drone posted:

It always blows my mind to see expensive and tacky-rear end boomer paradise mcmansions that almost invariably still have a CRT tucked away somewhere, ostensibly still in use.

They can't go 30 minutes without getting their Hannity fix. Cable in every room!

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Drone posted:

Not a mcmansion, but it blew my mind to see this house still having a big CRT in one of the guest rooms as well as a big projection tv. I figure with a house like this, you could afford to get some good flat screens.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/508-S-Fielder-Rd-Arlington-TX-76013/28990832_zpid/

I do really want the office though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

it shriveled up posted:

Not a mcmansion, but it blew my mind to see this house still having a big CRT in one of the guest rooms as well as a big projection tv. I figure with a house like this, you could afford to get some good flat screens.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/508-S-Fielder-Rd-Arlington-TX-76013/28990832_zpid/

I do really want the office though.

The fridge is equally as ancient, so it looks like a standard case of why buy new if the old one still works.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "barndominium", an abomination that seems to mostly be a thing in Texas for some reason

lack of windows can be a problem

I kinda like this one tbh

but the best barndos are the ones where the owners never actually finished them and just decided to live in them anyway

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Good lord, this looks like some kind of horrible rec center or someplace that got donated to the Boy Scouts for mixed use

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "barndominium", an abomination that seems to mostly be a thing in Texas for some reason

This gives me a panic attack

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Goober Peas posted:

This gives me a panic attack

My eyes just slide off of it - there’s so much going on and the HDR on top of it is so garish that I can’t really process that I’m actually seeing anything.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It looks like a screenshot from a hidden-object game, and not a very good one

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

lack of windows can be a problem

I kinda like this one tbh

but the best barndos are the ones where the owners never actually finished them and just decided to live in them anyway

more like barndemonium

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was trying to think what this reminded me of and then it struck me it's a loving fortress lmao. (When you spend six months under 15 metres of rock you try to forget but you don't.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was trying to think what this reminded me of and then it struck me it's a loving fortress lmao. (When you spend six months under 15 metres of rock you try to forget but you don't.)

That explains it! My boy scout troop used to camp at fortresses now and then for some reason

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Freaquency posted:

My eyes just slide off of it - there’s so much going on and the HDR on top of it is so garish that I can’t really process that I’m actually seeing anything.

it looks like a cracker barrel lol

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i appreciate that half of those are just overstuffed with decorative crap and the other half is plywood dividers in the garbage shed

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This is actually a British battleship cleverly camouflaged.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

like a strobe light causing a seizure but HDR

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MattO posted:

like a strobe light causing a seizure but HDR

I really wish that the housing market wasn't such a shitshow for buyers and I could immediately ignore anyone using HDR for listings.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
When McMansion Hell talks about cheap materials -- is vinyl siding condemned to cheapness or are there quality versions of the product?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

When McMansion Hell talks about cheap materials -- is vinyl siding condemned to cheapness or are there quality versions of the product?

Vinyl siding is meant to imitate wood siding. Wood requires a lot more maintenance, so it's hard to say if one or the other is "better".

But there are products like hardiplank that are both more expensive and much better than either.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

But there are products like hardiplank that are both more expensive and much better than either.

That's what I've got and, in my experience, if you don't have vegetation right up against your house so as to avoid mildew and if you pick a color that roughly matches your local dust, it's as good as maintenance free.

e: Cobwebs still happen I guess

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

That's what I've got and, in my experience, if you don't have vegetation right up against your house so as to avoid mildew and if you pick a color that roughly matches your local dust, it's as good as maintenance free.

e: Cobwebs still happen I guess

I've got it on my house also, and there are sections with poor air flow that also don't get a lot of sun (landscape, inside corners, etc) and I just hit them with the pressure washer on occasion. I don't even need to use soap or anything - it just comes right off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it is only "cheap" as in cheezy when you also have 90 foot columns and a two ton chandelier with its own display window

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Is hardiplank that stuff that needs every seam caulked?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

Is hardiplank that stuff that needs every seam caulked?

Nope. Most quality installation will have tape on (under) each seam, but with appropriate overlap that's not even necessary. Just like you don't need to caulk wood siding.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

yeah it is only "cheap" as in cheezy when you also have 90 foot columns and a two ton chandelier with its own display window

I remember a school friend with a two-storey entranceway, one of those ones where the upstairs hallway overlooks it, and a huge ugly chandelier. The window at chandelier-level was just a huge plate glass window, no architectural details or anything. Just looked like an empty dead socket, it was awful.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I remember looking at this house in 2012, I passed on it due to the taxes. Looks like a flipper got hold of it and hooo boy did it end up tackily trendy.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/28-Woodbine-Ter_Sparta_NJ_07871_M59448-25335?view=qv

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Love to crane my neck way up and to the left to watch TV. Also digging the behead-a-bed in the loft that’s a brain bleed waiting to happen.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I remember looking at this house in 2012, I passed on it due to the taxes. Looks like a flipper got hold of it and hooo boy did it end up tackily trendy.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/28-Woodbine-Ter_Sparta_NJ_07871_M59448-25335?view=qv

How hard is it to remove all that fake barnwood on the walls, because otherwise it's pretty fixable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "funky". Apparently funky in realtorbabble just means "is a color other than white-gray-beige" but I found some very mild funk in there

but this house is the funk, the whole funk and nothing but the funk

(these are straight walls)