Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's okay to have a show that celebrates intellect and cooperation while also having drama and spaceships and lycra.

The Orville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Laterite posted:

The Orville

The Orville is fun and good but like, so is Star Trek Continues. I'm just not usually in the mood for fan fiction.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Modern Star Trek should be criticizing the status quo instead of implying that we are all trapped in it forever

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Orville is fun and good but like, so is Star Trek Continues. I'm just not usually in the mood for fan fiction.

I’ve got bad news for you about what Star Trek: Picard is...

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I’ve got bad news for you about what Star Trek: The Next Generation is...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
If it's on tv its not a fanfic anymore, mkay?
It's canon, mkay?
And Orville is a love letter to Trek. The one that became bigger than what it loves.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AntherUslessPoster posted:

It's canon, mkay?
And Orville is a love letter to Trek. The one that became bigger than what it loves.

I am pretty sure the orville is not bigger than tng. I do like it, though it's pretty clumsy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol if you still give a poo poo about brands instead of ideas

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

mediaphage posted:

I am pretty sure the orville is not bigger than tng. I do like it, though it's pretty clumsy.

It is contemporary, we can support it, vote for it, talk about it and indirectly in some ways direct its general direction.
Unlike tng, which we can only rewatch and nostalgically cherish our memories about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

It is contemporary, we can support it, vote for it, talk about it and indirectly in some ways direct its general direction.
Unlike tng, which we can only rewatch and nostalgically cherish our memories about it.

Sure?

Tighclops posted:

Lol if you still give a poo poo about brands instead of ideas

Idgi

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

Modern Star Trek should be criticizing the status quo instead of implying that we are all trapped in it forever
I think a huge problem with this series is that the 'inciting action' is this massive disaster that changes a lot of the politics in the Federation, but at the same time the show is not really about that, it's about Picard trying to feel relevant again.

I'm really thinking that all of the Mars destruction poo poo is weighing down everything else they are trying to do with the story

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

can america ever get past 9/11

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ghostlight posted:

The real question is, can America ever get future 9/11?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's canon, mkay?

Canon is a business construct.

Ghostlight posted:

Not until the next one happens or we finally get over crisis-mode realpolitik, whichever comes last.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Breakfast All Day posted:

Legit props to Jonathan Frakes for going from one of the best actors on TNG to the only decent one so far in this.

ftfy

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Space Moose comic 1990

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TBH the one where he replaces the bald dwarf's insulin with PCP was better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you read fanfiction you can imagine them having sex, too

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My favorite Spacemoose was the Jack Chick tribute.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

infernal machines posted:

Yes, but not exactly Star Trek related, is it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's canon, mkay?

Yeah, nah; The point is to over-idolize a single character and put them in a big high-stakes action adventure with THEIR ship and crew with edgy backgrounds and grimdark dramatic storytelling.

If it looks, quacks, and acts like a duck, you can call it a duck.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, but not exactly Star Trek related, is it?

At least as much as Picard is.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/StorySlug/status/1237018764232753153?s=19

The entire twitter thread is gold. GOLD.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Look, video games fomented the Eugenics War.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Organic Lube User posted:

My favorite Spacemoose was the Jack Chick tribute.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

If you read fanfiction you can imagine them having sex, too

hey hey! there's even a relevant Space Moose for this one too! :yayclod:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
here we go. one more Trek-related Space Moose to round out the evening, you reprobates!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oORNagSrlNs

I can't help but feel that Cardassian literature is the writer's room mocking the endless repetitive nature of television and film telling the same stories over and over again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay tonight I'm watching Voyager season 2, "Resolutions". All I remember is that Chakotay and Janeway live on a planet together and it gets awkward.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worf is such a bridezilla

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's actually interesting is that I think the Voyager people call their chief engineer "Bay Lana" sometimes and "Buh Lana" other times. And the "Buh Lana" pronunciation kind of wins out over times. That's interesting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No it isn't

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wow Tuvok is a better captain than Janeway.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wow Tuvok is a better captain than Janeway.

You're right, tuvok is a member of the universal set

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oORNagSrlNs

I can't help but feel that Cardassian literature is the writer's room mocking the endless repetitive nature of television and film telling the same stories over and over again.

I appreciate how they use this to give cultural exposition. Makes the Cardassians miles more fleshed out than most species that don't get as much screen time as the Klingons.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wow __________ is a better captain than Janeway.

You could write any name, even the juvenile member of a tribe as of yet untouched by modern society, and it would still be true.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Michael Burnham.

Checkmate.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Even Neelix?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

evilmiera posted:

Michael Burnham.

Checkmate.

She might be better. You just have to have faith. . . of the heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

I appreciate how they use this to give cultural exposition. Makes the Cardassians miles more fleshed out than most species that don't get as much screen time as the Klingons.

They did a really good job with this. "Tribunal" adds some good fleshing-out too.

I actually think they're more internally coherent than the Klingons just by virtue of only seriously being on one show. Yes they're on TNG but it's not many episodes.