Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gort posted:

Anyone got opinions on Outcast: Second Contact?

It's very much the old game with a new engine which transports the feeling of the original Outcast almost 1:1. It has a few QoL updates, surprisingly great controller support and is more or less well optimized. They had to (?) use the original VO which sadly come with crappy audio quality, soundtrack didn't suffer as much though. I think my only real issue with Second Contact is that the UI doesn't show all pickups and the VO is inconsistent, so you can miss out on a lot of items/materials if you're not used to the usual spots or forgot (they're more or less the same as in the original).

Thanks to very good controller support as well as reasonable performance I can enjoy it on 4k OLED TV which is marvelous with the worlds colorful design.

I'd recommend it if you are still OK with certain outdated/not so convenient mechanics (questlog, finding people etc.) and just want to enjoy Outcast with modern visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kennel posted:

Yeah, Offworld Trading Company is pretty bland. The gameplay mechanics (dynamic resource prices, buying your competitors' stocks) are neat and make me think that it might be fun against friends, but since I'm a single player enthusiast I stopped after few full sessions against the AI.

Still worth trying for anyone who hasn't played it. I really wish it had taken off. While I agree it's bland and not a great single player game, the multiplayer experience is amazing if you can get past the static nature of the map and not being a units shooting other units game. It's the only RTS game I've ever seen that has a legitimate skill component instead of just being a APM and memorization game.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

haldolium posted:

I'd recommend it if you are still OK with certain outdated/not so convenient mechanics (questlog, finding people etc.) and just want to enjoy Outcast with modern visuals.
I'm still bummed they replaced the amazingly-overwrought CG intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCNok_HgYY

Not to mention the dance party credits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tKBWvxWTKQ

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sebmojo posted:

That's harsh, dragonfall was excellent.

i meant more in terms of scale

J
Jun 10, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like Skyrim. Ugh.
How hard is Environmental Station Alpha? I've seen some videos and it looked extremely difficult to me, with pixel-precise jumping and attack avoidance.

I love ESA but I can't recommend it if you're going to be playing it on a laptop with no controller. It has some fast paced, challenging sections and bosses that require precision.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like Skyrim. Ugh.
How hard is Environmental Station Alpha? I've seen some videos and it looked extremely difficult to me, with pixel-precise jumping and attack avoidance.

There is an easy mode where you get a lot more health

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Outer Worlds has cemented my opinion that I cannot get into or much enjoy RPGs that are simple weapon combat affairs without some sort of in game system that lets me do cool stuff. Magic, psionics, bionic augmentation, or something like Disco Elysium's crazy skill system, I dont care. But something that makes the game more than "attack poo poo with weapon over and over and buy your way through skill checks at level up

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Underwhelmed posted:

Outer Worlds has cemented my opinion that I cannot get into or much enjoy RPGs that are simple weapon combat affairs without some sort of in game system that lets me do cool stuff. Magic, psionics, bionic augmentation, or something like Disco Elysium's crazy skill system, I dont care. But something that makes the game more than "attack poo poo with weapon over and over and buy your way through skill checks at level up

These games try to dress up their lovely gameplay with something called a "narrative" that usually just makes me roll my eyes and wish I was playing something else.

I'm not saying all story driven games are bad, but in games like Outer Worlds the love clearly went somewhere other than the "game" part of the game, and you just get an average at best game in the end. In my experience all the other stuff has to be really good for it to be worth it.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gort posted:

Anyone got opinions on Outcast: Second Contact?
Disagree with other goon reviews. Outcast was one of my favorite games and I've played through the original and Second Contact fully.

The controls actually feel worse and clunkier than the original because they kept the same movement animations but changed the engine to a more standard/modern one. Lots of spots in the maps you can get stuck in. There's serious bugs in SC that can prevent large chunks of the main quest from finishing correctly if you do things out of (but still normal and rational) order. The scanner is weaker and shorter-range than the original so you're constantly scanning to find items you've missed.

The graphics are great though. I haven't played it, but I'd recommend the 1.1 version over SC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Joe Man posted:

The controls actually feel worse and clunkier than the original because they kept the same movement animations but changed the engine to a more standard/modern one.
That is very sad to hear. God I loved that I game, I really did. It's one of the first big-name PC action games I ever played and man, was it worth every cent. They managed to get the guy who voiced Bruce Willis in my native language for the protagonist guy and it's wonderful. As many games as I play, there's only a handful I've ever completed. This is one of them. It's an experience I would recommend to anyone.

Ulukai, hey-ha!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

it's bite-sized and not as well written compared to what people were hoping for (fallout: new vegas 2.0) but at the end of the day it's not particularly awful, just mediocre

my closest point of comparison would be the harebrained scheme's shadowrun games
I think around the point I started to get "the very first guns from the start of the game, but 2.0 and with higher damage so now they're upgrades" was about when i petered out.

deep dish peat moss posted:

There are maybe 10 different weapons in the entire game, then "tier 2" versions of those weapons with the same model and higher damage, then "tier 3" versions. None of the loot is fun to find or exciting to look for.
Don't forget the special named unmoddable weapons, all of which seem to be basically just a normal version of that weapon type that have some mods pre-installed.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Outer Worlds feels like a test of how little can be put in a game, and still have people buy it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Only an hour in but Ori 2 feels pretty special. Fortunately I've so far avoided some of the issues that are cropping up for other Steam/PC users.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

These games try to dress up their lovely gameplay with something called a "narrative" that usually just makes me roll my eyes and wish I was playing something else.

I'm not saying all story driven games are bad, but in games like Outer Worlds the love clearly went somewhere other than the "game" part of the game, and you just get an average at best game in the end. In my experience all the other stuff has to be really good for it to be worth it.

Yeah this is why I really liked Disco Elysium. Navigating the exceptional writing is 90% of the game with the other 10% being exploring a really unique world (mostly to find items to contribute to the dialogue and its many skill checks)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Anyone get that Command & Conquer Remaster? What does it mean by "Account (Supports linking to Steam account)"?

Am I going to need more then just Steam to play this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anno posted:

Only an hour in but Ori 2 feels pretty special. Fortunately I've so far avoided some of the issues that are cropping up for other Steam/PC users.

the frame rate's hitching for me every now and then but i'm on a 980ti so that's to be expected

switching to a melee combat style is a questionable decision given how small and finicky most of the sprites are, but the attacks themselves do have a lot more oomph and we're finally free of that sporadically rhyming navi knockoff

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Im_Special posted:

Anyone get that Command & Conquer Remaster? What does it mean by "Account (Supports linking to Steam account)"?

"Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)"

So, yes. Origin.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Im_Special posted:

Its not out yet but at a guess they are going to force you to log into an EA account for multiplayer. Outside chance you'll have to launch Origin when you play it but I think they've given up on that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Boba Pearl posted:

Outer Worlds feels like a test of how little can be put in a game, and still have people buy it.
That might be a bit of an overstatement, but yes, I wasn't terribly impressed by it, personally.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Horizon's Gate: this game is so charming oh my gosh

There's not much combat (which is bad if you wanted a lot of it) but instead you explore a hand-crafted world and trade at ports and it's so much fun? I've ferried bullion between ports and bought a second ship and learned how to much sea monsters (which is an interesting variant on regular combat).

More importantly I just found the original town from the beginning of Voidspire Tactics and there's NPC chatter about the first game and :kimchi:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

What the gently caress

Seriously? Im enjoying Outer Worlds a lot. Maybe I'm just craving more New Vegas because I love the characters, they're wonderfully voice acted, and I like the premise and the absurd corporate world building with an art style reminiscent of the early industrial era.

I can see myself doing at least a second playthrough on this one. I don't see why this game is considered mediocre.

If the setting jives with you I could see that. The root of the complaint I have and that I've read from a lot of others is that none of the hooks in the setting/characters/story/aesthetic/whatever grabbed us, it felt like it was explicitly designed to be as uninteresting as possible to my personal tastes.

If you like that stuff it's probably just as good as Skyrim or at least a version of Skyrim that has 85% of the content removed..

StrixNebulosa posted:

Horizon's Gate: this game is so charming oh my gosh

There's not much combat (which is bad if you wanted a lot of it) but instead you explore a hand-crafted world and trade at ports and it's so much fun? I've ferried bullion between ports and bought a second ship and learned how to much sea monsters (which is an interesting variant on regular combat).

More importantly I just found the original town from the beginning of Voidspire Tactics and there's NPC chatter about the first game and :kimchi:

I've been really enraptured with this game and I can't even put my thumb on exactly why. I usually get bored of just sailing back and forth delivering goods between towns eventually but for some reason here it still feels exciting. It has that old Uncharted Waters or Neo Atlas vibe of setting out on expeditions and never knowing when you might find something wild. I think a big part of it is that Rad Codex is great about their reward systems - they're great about making you feel appropriately rewarded for your actions, through things like new unexpected discoveries, new ways to interact with the world, strange atmospheric areas, or even stuff as simple as the sound and visual design that gives such a big crunch to things as small as the display of experience gained from an action. Finding a creepy skull in a forest glade covered by spiders is a reward in and of itself but then on top of that there's the enjoyable presentation of me examining the skull to learn more about it and then setting out to meet with the researcher I signed a contract with so he can pay me for my discovery, I don't know - that just feels like such a full-fledged journey for my character to go on when ultimately in the context of gameplay it's just a random mini-dungeon I found while sailing to another place.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 12, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's so good it's driven me to go back and try Voidspire Tactics again since I never gave it a fair shot (and played Alvora instead) and is it just me, or did the dev go back and update the engine a bit? Either that or I'm used to the engine by now, so any weird quirks it has doesn't bother me. Huh.

This bodes VERY well as it means I've got not just Horizon's Gate to enjoy, but Voidspire, and that'll probably lead to replaying Alvora, and...aahhh, good games!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"strix didn't you buy and install resident evil 2 today" yes but you see I have a ship and an ocean to sail! God I can't decide which nation I want to team up with, for now I'm freelancing across the ocean and filling out my map. I love love love how the game rewards exploration/looking at stuff by just giving you a TON OF CASH for it and you can use that to get better at the other systems so I expect when the exploration gold drops off I can support myself by murdering sea creatures and such

(also I have a migraine and stress due to family stuff so nothing spooky tonight)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is a question that might fit better into the Retro Games thread, and that's where I'm putting it if I can't get an answer here, but does anyone remember a really old DOS game that starts out a lot like that Horizon game, but instead of being a pirate, you start out as a single ship that explored the shores of a newly discovered continent and then set up a colony. It was very nineties and distinctly 2D, so if you remember anything else, it's not what I'm talking about.

I played this when I was six or seven years old, before I really understood a word of English and when Shareware CDs were still a thing, and now that I've remembered its existence, I would dearly like to pick it back up at some point.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hub Cat posted:

Its not out yet but at a guess they are going to force you to log into an EA account for multiplayer. Outside chance you'll have to launch Origin when you play it but I think they've given up on that.

Account I can stand, but if I need to install another client and have it run in the background, then I'm just not gonna bother.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Im_Special posted:

Account I can stand, but if I need to install another client and have it run in the background, then I'm just not gonna bother.

Yep, that's what they require. Do NOT buy any ubisoft games if you can't handle running two clients at once, they're all uplay mandatory.

And I mean I don't mind using origin or uplay, but c'mon companies, play nice

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

This is a question that might fit better into the Retro Games thread, and that's where I'm putting it if I can't get an answer here, but does anyone remember a really old DOS game that starts out a lot like that Horizon game, but instead of being a pirate, you start out as a single ship that explored the shores of a newly discovered continent and then set up a colony. It was very nineties and distinctly 2D, so if you remember anything else, it's not what I'm talking about.

I played this when I was six or seven years old, before I really understood a word of English and when Shareware CDs were still a thing, and now that I've remembered its existence, I would dearly like to pick it back up at some point.

Conquest of the New World?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

If no one knows about it here, you can definitely check the 'help us remember the name of a game' thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ponzicar posted:

Conquest of the New World?
That looks very similar, but no, I'm afraid that's not the one. Thank you for trying, though!

If it helps any, (it probably won't) I got it from one of those ancient "Pegasus collections" shareware discs and the point of the gameplay was mostly trade. I think you could send off expeditions in-land, but I never quite figured out what it does.

Sailor Dave posted:

If no one knows about it here, you can definitely check the 'help us remember the name of a game' thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708
Appreciated! I think that'll be the better place to put it.

...gently caress me, that thread has been going for twelve whole years. Dayum.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep, that's what they require. Do NOT buy any ubisoft games if you can't handle running two clients at once, they're all uplay mandatory.

I'm not sure on this, Fallen Order explicitly says "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required" and this doesn't so I don't think this is going to require Origin. Like hell am I going to preorder anything from EA to find out after the year they've had though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just did the second escape sequence in Ori 2 and it ruled, so much better than the first game's escapes

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 12, 2020

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who comes up with this poo poo, ask yourself one thing companies who do this, what does this add for the customer, any benefits? Nope. Then maybe don't do it.

Hey here's have another client! to go on top of that other one you have, it doesn't do anything Steam doesn't do, but it's ours...

Okay ending /minirant

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Im_Special posted:

Who comes up with this poo poo, ask yourself one thing companies who do this, what does this add for the customer, any benefits? Nope. Then maybe don't do it.

Hey here's have another client! to go on top of that other one you have, it doesn't do anything Steam doesn't do, but it's ours...

Okay ending /minirant

They were genuinely trying to break the steam monopoly when they launched the stores but it didn't really work so here we are, an awkward compromise.

Actually I'd say uplay is doing the best so far with its exclusives and its store deals.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uplay isn't so bad since it at least quietly starts then quits itself whenever you launch a dependant game from Steam.

(you also used to be able to earn discounts on their store using their achievement system, which is obviously a customer benefit steam can't offer)

(it's also a kind of weird company decision to go "everyone loves having a launcher for their game library so we'll just tell them to install a competing storefront")

Don't get me started on loving Origin which I have never once started up without sitting around for like twenty minutes waiting for it to update itself.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I found out that the checkpointing in Ori 2 can be a bit fucky currently. I was butting my head against some enemies (Albiet enemies in an area that I am clearly supposed to go to later, and it respawned me in a room with a locked door. With no way out. Oh, and it autosaved.

FORTUNATELY, there is a backup save option on your save slot that keeps track of the last 10 autosaves, so all I lost was about 10 minutes, and even then I went further back than I needed to so I could make sure I did not touch the area until I am actually good and ready. So yeah, could have been worse.

Wanted to post this in case anyone experienced similar and hopefully inform them before they rage quit.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 12, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So I found out that the checkpointing in Ori 2 can be a bit fucky currently. I was butting my head against some enemies (Albiet enemies in an area that I am clearly supposed to go to later, and it respawned me in a room with a locked door. With no way out. Oh, and it autosaved.

FORTUNATELY, there is a backup save option on your save slot that keeps track of the last 10 autosaves, so all I lost was about 10 minutes, and even then I went further back than I needed to so I could make sure I did not touch the area until I am actually good and ready. So yeah, could have been worse.

i got into a pickle like that during the lost woods in ori 1

the backup save option is a godsend

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unlucky7 posted:

Wanted to post this in case anyone experienced similar and hopefully inform them before they rage quit.

Provided you're far enough in, you can also just teleport to a fast travel point from the map screen. I think that ability unlocks when you hit the town hub, but I'm not totally sure.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm really glad that they didn't think of the addition of proper boss fights as a replacement for the escape sequences, but rather using both so you basically get combat bosses and platforming bosses in Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Game very good so far, it's got me way more grabbed than the first one did.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

How many tree sequences are in Ori 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So far, no tree escape sequences, there's just been one in an old watermill.