Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

poisonpill posted:

How has public goonpinion in The Outer Worlds landed? Last I looked people were pretty middling on it.

It was great to play with Game Pass, because it was brand new and I was getting so much value out of that single buck I paid for the 3 month trial! Later on I realized I could have spent those hours playing a game that maybe didn't have that new car smell but was much more exciting to play.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

poisonpill posted:

How has public goonpinion in The Outer Worlds landed? Last I looked people were pretty middling on it.

It's one of the most plain and unimpressive games I've played. There's not a single standout or memorable moment, the companions are all boring conceptually and personality-wise, the environments are all the same 2 or 3 tilesets repeated over and over. Every joke in the game shares the same punchline: corporation did something evil because corporations are evil, and people are too dumb to care.

The writing and way you use your skills in dialog is atrociously one-dimensional and unrealistic - one of the very first encounters in the game has you come up across two members of a peacekeeping force who say they're getting ready to assault some bandits upfield from them. You can solve this quest by saying "the bandits just want to be your friend, you know." and the peacekeeping force goes "oh, really? okay we'll do that." then walks up and gets shot at, so they shoot back and kill each other. This is roughly the level that the game maintains for its singular punchline of "corporations are so dumb they basically don't even have brains, and also because of corporations all people are so dumb that they basically don't have brains." The whole game feels lonely as gently caress because it feels like you're the only intelligent life in the galaxy, and even that is questionable because you're sitting there playing Outer Worlds.

Your character's entire motivation for getting involved in the plot is a zany rick-and-morty homage mad scientist saying you should. There's no motivation or whatever behind it. They just say you should help them and you have no choice but to go "okay."

The only positive point I can give to Outer Worlds is that because I played a low-intelligence character with special dialog options (Which 99% amount to "Huh? I don't understand." and then the NPCs continuing the dialog the exact same way they would have for anyone else) there was a random unexplained dialog option roughly halfway through the game that played the ending and rolled the credits when I selected it so I didn't have to go any further.
(myself and some other people at launch legitimately thought that was the intended ending of the game because the story has no goddamn hooks or beats whatsoever, it's completely aimless and bland)

There are maybe 10 different weapons in the entire game, then "tier 2" versions of those weapons with the same model and higher damage, then "tier 3" versions. None of the loot is fun to find or exciting to look for.

I tried to like it but I just couldn't. I can't say it's some terrible game because I've played a lot of games that I actively hated and I didn't actively hate Outer Worlds but I could not at all attach myself to it, care about it or feel bad when it was over, and I was having a hard time booting it up to continue toward the "end" (which was the ~40-50% complete mark for me)

edit: Another thing I will give the game credit for is having an asexual crew member who has a side story that actually explores their feelings and their attempts to find companionship in a way that's not pandering or attempting to be horny. It's a character type very underrepresented in media and it wasn't handled poorly here so it was neat I guess.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 11, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh, Offworld Trading Company is free on the Epic store at the moment. Vaguely interested in that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

anilEhilated posted:

This sounds pretty cool. And I needed something that runs on my laptop anyway.
Speaking of: any recommendations for games with laughable hardware requirements? I like strategies, RPGs and Metroidvanias, dislike puzzle games and am horrible at point'n'click adventures. Played most of the big releases and thread darlings already, so I'm looking for anything more obscure this time around.
I'm going to be stuck with a laptop from cca 2014 with an integrated graphics card for some time so any recommendations would be welcome.

Games I played when I got stuck with a craptop for a while: Startopia, Momodora III/IV(possibly add spiritual sequel Minoria or other Playism games as well), Environmental Station Alpha, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Titan Souls(divisive but I enjoyed it enough), Aces Wild, Tropico 4, Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery

Games that I assume work on a low-cost pc but am not sure: Shadowrun series, Weedcraft Inc, Ys series(until a certain point), Steamworld Heist, Monolith, Domina

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Skyrim. Ugh.

Samuringa posted:

Games I played when I got stuck with a craptop for a while: Startopia, Momodora III/IV(possibly add spiritual sequel Minoria or other Playism games as well), Environmental Station Alpha, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Titan Souls(divisive but I enjoyed it enough), Aces Wild, Tropico 4, Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery

Games that I assume work on a low-cost pc but am not sure: Shadowrun series, Weedcraft Inc, Ys series(until a certain point), Steamworld Heist, Monolith, Domina
How hard is Environmental Station Alpha? I've seen some videos and it looked extremely difficult to me, with pixel-precise jumping and attack avoidance.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 11, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
hosed up to say but skyrim is actually significantly better than outer worlds

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, then where are the lasers!?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1237763463121899523?s=19

Goodbye, games that would've been revealed at e3

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gort posted:

Huh, Offworld Trading Company is free on the Epic store at the moment. Vaguely interested in that.

It is and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I only got through 4 out of the 6 tutorials but by that point I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going. It seems like a neat idea but in practice nothing felt particularly interesting about it. I should probably jump into a skirmish before deciding whether or not I want to keep going but it was free so eh.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like Skyrim. Ugh.
How hard is Environmental Station Alpha precisely? I've seen some videos and it look extremely difficult to me, with pixel-precise jumping and attack avoidance.

The bosses can be a significant hurdle compared to the rest of the game, especially the ones that have multiple forms since you have no means of recovering your health. They tend to have very limited patterns but on second thought, it's not going to be very fun without a controller or if you get any kind of slowdown.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah rip

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of: any recommendations for games with laughable hardware requirements? I like strategies, RPGs and Metroidvanias, dislike puzzle games and am horrible at point'n'click adventures. Played most of the big releases and thread darlings already, so I'm looking for anything more obscure this time around.
I'm going to be stuck with a laptop from cca 2014 with an integrated graphics card for some time so any recommendations would be welcome.
Anything by Spiderweb Software might be right up your alley. The Geneforge Series, Avernum, Exile, Avadon, Queen's Wish. They're top-down 2D SRPGs with either party building or summoning of customizable creatures that are effectively a party in every sense that matters. Spiderweb is a perennial goon favourite, and for once, it actually deserves it too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

explosivo posted:

It is and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I only got through 4 out of the 6 tutorials but by that point I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going. It seems like a neat idea but in practice nothing felt particularly interesting about it. I should probably jump into a skirmish before deciding whether or not I want to keep going but it was free so eh.

Yeah, I'm with you. I kinda booted up the tutorial and was bored before I actually took any actions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Don't forget some of the dialogue options are things like "I'm gonna knock you down a score on your quarterly report" or "I want to speak with your manager", cause the corporations rule everything .Everything. All corporation all the time. Hey bud, someone must be wanting to get their picture on the employee of the month wall! Cause corporations!

The fact it got all the goonhype on release just shows that even goons submit to the same "it panders to ME!" mentality that they pretend they're above when mocking mainstream consumers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/resident-evil-2-biohazard-re-2

Resident evil 2 remake for 17$

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A bargain for twice the money, no joke. Best game of the year.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You'll get a lot of mileage out of this one if you're big on hunting really tough secrets.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita
19. Rain World
20. 8BitBoy
21. Wings of Vi
22. MO:Astray
23. Total Party Kill
24. Dandara
25. Potata
26. Skautfold: Usurper
27. Ikeda: The Scrap Hunter E.P.

28. Tobari and the Night of the Curious Moon

Difficulty is such a funny thing in games. I’ve had hard-as-nails games that I’ve loved, and fairly benign games that I’ve hated, all because of how they’ve posed their challenges. It’s never as simple as something being hard or easy, it’s much more a matter of fairness and pacing. On both of these counts, Tobari knows exactly what it’s doing. From the start this charming platformer will be as inviting and comfortable as any budget indie platformer could be, and over the course of an hour or two you’ll find yourself chipping away at single ice block jumps and weaving through spikes on moving platforms. It’s a game that gets hard, harder than you may be comfortable with, but takes a very thoughtful and often creative route to get there.

Tobari is a magically-inclined schoolgirl out looking for her friend Hina. As the title implies, this is quite a curious night indeed, with all manner of adorable monsters, mages, and spirits running loose and getting in the way. It’s clear something is very wrong, and that closer Tobari gets to locating Hina, the clearer it becomes that she’s involved as well. And it’s not just monsters standing in her way either, as several of their schoolmates are in on these mysterious machinations, and intend to keep Tobari from reaching her goal. Fortunately our heroine has a powerful command of magic, assuming she can pinch spells from her foes, and between that and her nimble platforming skills, she’s got a good shot at unraveling this nocturnal enigma.

For the sake of easing folks into the game, the early stages of Tobari are pretty straightforward platforming challenges. You’ve got a particularly floaty jump and a good clip to your movement, which gives you plenty of mobility for jumping foes and gaps. You can also stomp most enemies, but the better option is to whack them with your magic staff. If they have some kind of magical ability it’ll pop out in the form of a medallion, and taking this for yourself will grant you that power. This can be anything from fireballs and lightning strikes to soaring jumps and a magical hamster ball. You can have two powers at once, and the shops frequently found in levels can sell you a greater variety than you can find for a pittance of coins, so having the right power for the job becomes a major feature of the game.

You’ll soon find that stages are more expansive than they appear, once you come to grips with the full extent of your mobility and the options your powers afford you. Nearly every level has alternate paths and secret caches of powerups, and many have entire secret exits set aside from the normal ones. Locating these secrets will be a significant step up in challenge, but it might be worth it because the main game is going to jump to that level too. The platforming in particular grows steadily more perilous across the game’s six worlds, and while the early ones will likely go by quickly, you’re liable to start getting stuck on stages by the fourth or maybe even third world. The difficulty actually reminds me of a Super Mario ROM hack, not the insane Kaizo ones but the ones that offer steep but unique challenges, rather than the more natural platforming of the original un-hacked games.

I must admit that part of the difficulty is in the controls and spotty collisions you’ll start to notice more and more. One feature that’s sure to cause a few dozen deaths is how attacking in midair almost completely kills Tobari’s horizontal momentum. That means if you’re jumping over a gap and swing your staff or cast a spell before you land, you’re probably plunging straight down into that pit. You won’t even notice this in the first few worlds but once the game starts perching enemies on ledges and flinging them at you during tight platforming segments, it’s going to become a problem. Doubly so because the collisions and physics feel very Game Makery, with a fair level of uncertainty baked into every hit and landing. Moving platforms in particular like to warp things around them, sometimes flinging medallions into pits that should have been waiting comfortably to be picked up.

I wouldn’t recommend this one if the jank was a serious concern, but it is ultimately surmountable here. And learning to deal with it opens you up to dozens of creative, challenging levels to clear and explore. Tobari really does some neat stuff with the powers you get, offering all kinds of unexpected interactions with blocks and enemies to allow you into secret areas. The challenge is fair enough throughout the game, though I’ve heard of a post-game EX world that does indeed wander into Kaizo territory. Coupled with charming art and a goofy little story, this is definitely one of the better budget platformers out there. Steel yourself for some serious platforming and a little control wrestling, and you’ll be in for hours of inventive, open-ended fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I mean, they'll still get revealed, just online, and probably around the same time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

Difficulty is such a funny thing in games. I’ve had hard-as-nails games that I’ve loved, and fairly benign games that I’ve hated, all because of how they’ve posed their challenges. It’s never as simple as something being hard or easy, it’s much more a matter of fairness and pacing.
Truer words have never been spoken. There are so many games I've hated because they just didn't feel fair, even though they weren't actually hard.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, Offworld Trading Company is pretty bland. The gameplay mechanics (dynamic resource prices, buying your competitors' stocks) are neat and make me think that it might be fun against friends, but since I'm a single player enthusiast I stopped after few full sessions against the AI.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

anilEhilated posted:

There are some great hidden gem Japanese indie metroidvanias like Pharoah Rebirth https://store.steampowered.com/app/441280/Pharaoh_Rebirth/, Momodora https://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/, and Touhou Luna Nights https://store.steampowered.com/app/851100/Touhou_Luna_Nights/ that you may have never played, and they should run on just about anything. I'm also very very fond of both La Mulana games but if you don't like puzzles and adventure game logic it's very possible you'd hate them!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gort posted:

Anyone got opinions on Outcast: Second Contact?

Did you play the original Outcast? Because it's that, but with modern controls and improvements. I need to get back to playing it but it definitely exists as a sort of weird game design time capsule where the developers were pushing the boundaries, sometimes in ways that two decades of design hasn't followed.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

MMF Freeway posted:

What the gently caress

Seriously? Im enjoying Outer Worlds a lot. Maybe I'm just craving more New Vegas because I love the characters, they're wonderfully voice acted, and I like the premise and the absurd corporate world building with an art style reminiscent of the early industrial era.

I can see myself doing at least a second playthrough on this one. I don't see why this game is considered mediocre.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how long have you been playing for?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How far are you and how much of the sidequest stuff are you doing?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
All signs point to Byzantium. I'm almost done on Monarch, and I still have my companion side quests as they go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

The fact it got all the goonhype on release just shows that even goons submit to the same "it panders to ME!" mentality that they pretend they're above when mocking mainstream consumers

Pretty sure goons were falling over themselves to slobber all over Disco Elysium when they both came out.

I dunno, I thought Disco Elysium wasn’t as good as the goon hype (still great, just not as good as everyone was saying) and OW was better than the goon complaining (still not all the incredible, just a pretty solid game)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Zachack posted:

Did you play the original Outcast? Because it's that, but with modern controls and improvements. I need to get back to playing it but it definitely exists as a sort of weird game design time capsule where the developers were pushing the boundaries, sometimes in ways that two decades of design hasn't followed.

I didn't play the original Outcast, though I read a review of it at the time that sounded interesting.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like the way Outer Worlds starts, but I was happy when it was over. Monarch was way too long, like, there is no way that should have been a third of my time spent with that game.

The science weapons were kind of disappointing, and the VATS lite system wasn't very much fun.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I played the demo of the original Outcast obsessively when it came out, it was so weird and unique with those chunky voxel graphics and open world structure. Really should have gotten around to the actual game at some point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

There are some great hidden gem Japanese indie metroidvanias like Pharoah Rebirth https://store.steampowered.com/app/441280/Pharaoh_Rebirth/, Momodora https://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/, and Touhou Luna Nights https://store.steampowered.com/app/851100/Touhou_Luna_Nights/ that you may have never played, and they should run on just about anything. I'm also very very fond of both La Mulana games but if you don't like puzzles and adventure game logic it's very possible you'd hate them!
I've played Momodora but the other two look interesting, definitely will check them out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I've played Momodora but the other two look interesting, definitely will check them out.
I personally recommend Luna Nights. It's very short and kind of doofy, but the time mechanics but any game I've played since Sands of Time to shame.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MMF Freeway posted:

:captainpop:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

All signs point to Byzantium. I'm almost done on Monarch, and I still have my companion side quests as they go.
Ah ok. I petered out mid-Monarch, but if it's still working for you, then awesome.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I highly recommend Momodora and Luna Nights. Both are short Metroidvanias.

If you want a slower more weight combat with a little dodging, yeah this is a pretty good one.

Touhou I have a base knowledge of what it is but I had no idea what the plot was about. I didn't care, so I pretty much skipped all dialogue and went into the game. Animations and the time stop mechanics on this game are loving amazing.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've been playing (and mostly enjoying) Book of Demons for a few days. I just encountered what might be one of the worst intentionally designed mechanics I have ever seen in a game.

At one point you begin to encounter enemies that charge into you, and stun you. It's a little annoying because you have to play a mini-game to catch a handful of swirling stars. It's a lot annoying because more often than not, after you get stunned one of your equipped cards gets "loosened". This means that a key part of your build is non-functional until you interact with that card to set it back in place. If you're playing with a controller this means pulling up the card inventory, scrolling allllll the way down until the UI lets you select your loosened card, then selecting and confirming it.

Once you begin to encounter the dense dungeons with swarms of enemies that aren't easily evaded, you'll be stopping to fiddle with the UI and reseat multiple loosened cards seemingly every minute or two. Granted, there might be a card or upgrade that blocks enemy stuns, but it's a remarkably unpleasant interaction that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Granted, there might be a card or upgrade that blocks enemy stuns, but it's a remarkably unpleasant interaction that shouldn't be there in the first place.
There are and you should also have teleport/dodge skills at that point, but yeah, it's annoying.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

poisonpill posted:

I had a lot of fun in the first third of the game, then slowly got more and more bored with it until I was skipping all the sidequests on the last planet and just ended up plowing through the plot. I don't regret playing it, but I doubt I'm ever going to pick it up again. I'd say it'd be worth picking up at around 20$, but I wouldn't go higher than that. It's just doesn't go anywhere fun or really memorable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Artelier posted:

That was quick, definitely doesn't feel like a year has passed by.

Worth it? Planning to play with my brother and sister 3 player co-op, and we like just messing around, collecting, and messing with fun guns.

Hope the drop rates are better, because we cheatengined the hell out of the end of the campaign to get more fun guns.

Bit late with this, but: Yeah, if you like Borderlands, 3 is definitely worth it. To get the downsides out of the way: I feel like the jokes don't quite land as often as they did in 2, and the main villains can't hold a candle to Handsome Jack in charisma. There's also a certain enemy type that is a loving chore to fight. However, the overall gameplay is just so much better that it more than makes up for whatever shortcomings the story/writing has. The guns feel a lot better to shoot, largely because they're not all so wildly inaccurate any more. The action overall is tons of fun, at least when you're not fighting that specific enemy type.
And lastly, yes, the game absolutely vomits good loot at you, the rate for legendaries and purples is WAY higher (at least once you get a bit further in), and the guns are just generally way cooler. And the game has instanced loot now, so if you play multiplayer everyone gets their own drops, so you end up finding even more cool poo poo.

EDIT: Also you can get a car that plays a sick non-stop metal guitar solo in place of a horn.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cowcaster posted:

it's bite-sized and not as well written compared to what people were hoping for (fallout: new vegas 2.0) but at the end of the day it's not particularly awful, just mediocre

my closest point of comparison would be the harebrained scheme's shadowrun games

That's harsh, dragonfall was excellent.