Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Wallrod posted:

We can only guess wildly, but they seem like relatively inexperienced but enthusiastic devs making a lot of naive mistakes and are probably well behind in technical debt, so fixing this type of stuff, just like the server architecture, is a big interruption to regular running that they've been trying to implement with as little impact as possible.

It's really disheartening to see them put such glaring holes in the structure of their game though. It would have been a really stupendous coop or single player game with some changes, but it's going to sit in early access limbo for a long long time while they juggle popularity spikes, technical obligations and feature aims. I have some sympathy because anticheat at a certain level is probably a very deep subject with a lot of practical knowlege and experience involved in structuring a game, and they've probably been putting rails down just in front of the train, wallace and gromit style, for most of the 4 years, but holy poo poo, sometimes you really wonder. It can't have been super special wizard knowledge that i gained when playing half-life mods and talking to server admins and modders about the whys and hows of keeping certain key gameplay stuff server-side.

What's most baffling about this latest hack is that it sits on a curious point in the network code. BSG *DOES* do Server-side inventory validation. Hence when the servers burn, you can't move items around, or you'll get that Client Moving Items error. They seem to track every item with a unique ID, and track exactly which inventory tile it sits in, presumably checking to make sure of things like 'there isn't already another item there'. They've *thought* at least a little bit about validation.

But then they don't validate things like "hey I'm just going to tell the server that I'm taking this item from this player". The mind boggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think the game glitched here but with amazing results:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/fg9jek/killing_an_invisible_hacker_on_labs_that_was/

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What's the easiest way to level strength right now with the cap? You can't just hit your friend a bunch anymore. Every raid I go into I try and throw a grenade and it's taking forever. Should I just try and melee as many scavs as possible? Strength level 3 is the only thing setting me back from my hideout (that and time).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ShowTime posted:

What's the easiest way to level strength right now with the cap? You can't just hit your friend a bunch anymore. Every raid I go into I try and throw a grenade and it's taking forever. Should I just try and melee as many scavs as possible? Strength level 3 is the only thing setting me back from my hideout (that and time).

Get your gear, buy 2 empty fuel cans and walk through the raid. Just casually walk - running will level you endurance and walking slow will level covert movement.
It's slow as gently caress, but reliable and still faster then grenades.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kikas posted:

Get your gear, buy 2 empty fuel cans and walk through the raid. Just casually walk - running will level you endurance and walking slow will level covert movement.

If you do this in groups though, let the other people know since you'll be falling behind constantly.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kikas posted:

I forgot about this. Can't you also do something with your secure container? Either way, thank you. This will be way quicker.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

I forgot about this. Can't you also do something with your secure container? Either way, thank you. This will be way quicker.

I think theres some item that fits in a docs case, technical manual or something, that weighs quite a bit? But honestly you're better off spending the roubles for the empty fuel cans and just dropping them once you find good stuff for your bag. Or you can wander the shoreline outskirts for a whole raid.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, when I did it, I picked a nighttime shoreline, and literally just wandered in a small circle round a couple trees on the little sniper spot up above the tunnel extract.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mehall posted:

Yeah, when I did it, I picked a nighttime shoreline, and literally just wandered in a small circle round a couple trees on the little sniper spot up above the tunnel extract.
A fun game

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A fun game

I'm level 36, have a hideout that's only incomplete because of laziness combined with a total lack of willpower to complete anything Jaeger related, and I've never done this gas can thing or any other skill cheese. Just playing the game normally will get you all of this stuff. It's not like any of this poo poo is required.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Ice Fist posted:

I'm level 36, have a hideout that's only incomplete because of laziness combined with a total lack of willpower to complete anything Jaeger related, and I've never done this gas can thing or any other skill cheese. Just playing the game normally will get you all of this stuff. It's not like any of this poo poo is required.

Except for your strength skill. I was in my 20s and still only STR level 1. This will be a much bigger deal with 12.4 so hopefully they change how it's leveled.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My Vitality is low because when I get shot I tend to just die immediately :smith:

Metabolism is also kind of annoying but you don't have to really "cheese" it so much as just make a conscious effort to remember to handle your steez in-raid.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A fun game

yeah, unless it will get me to kill faster and die less idgaf about this grindy poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you need strength 3 just drop into a raid with a friend and knife their legs. Rinse repeat for 45 minutes.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, i'm level 31 and just recently got metabolism to level 3 and am working on strength to level 3. They don't happen as normally as you think. But I do agree that the cheesing poo poo is boring as hell. I've only done it for 2 raids and while I did get like 5 skill points, they are so boring. I've been going to Woods and walking along the outside. Met a couple people just sprinting around to outskirts and killed them, but it's still boring.

Inspector_666 posted:

My Vitality is low because when I get shot I tend to just die immediately :smith:

Metabolism is also kind of annoying but you don't have to really "cheese" it so much as just make a conscious effort to remember to handle your steez in-raid.

Yea I ended up just having to bring some milk into every raid and pop it occasionally. Finally got it done yesterday and was able to start a few upgrades in hideout. All I need now is to hit Str 3 and I can finish it all off and finally, 4 months into the patch, have a bitcoin farm. I've had the graphics cards for months now. I just held onto all the ones I found. I don't find them much anymore but at the start they were pretty easy to find. I haven't found another flash drive in forever either.

Edit: I was wondering when a gaming site would pick up on the Tarkov hackers because its been so popular lately and they did earlier today I guess: https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/10/21173228/escape-from-tarkov-hackers-turn-invisible-looting-bug-hack

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 10, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, we're only worried about "grinding" skills out right now because we want to max poo poo out and cruise until the next wipe, theoretically eventually we won't always be racing a clock that will set us back to Level 1.

If you just want to shoot mans and pick up trash, you don't need to do any of this since the only really in-game appreciable differences seem to happen if you seriously max stuff out.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, we're only worried about "grinding" skills out right now because we want to max poo poo out and cruise until the next wipe, theoretically eventually we won't always be racing a clock that will set us back to Level 1.

If you just want to shoot mans and pick up trash, you don't need to do any of this since the only really in-game appreciable differences seem to happen if you seriously max stuff out.

I just want the hideout maxed out and will try to do it quicker in the future because passive income is great. Bitcoin farm and scav box are mainly what I want. That and the ability to craft some things.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ShowTime posted:

I just want the hideout maxed out and will try to do it quicker in the future because passive income is great. Bitcoin farm and scav box are mainly what I want. That and the ability to craft some things.

Yeah I put off the hideout for a while when I came back because "Oh there'll be a wipe" and it's not nearly as much work as I thought it would be, especially if I know I gotta get a few skills up from day one next time.

Plus Workbench 3 doesn't need anything other than money and trader rep (the only pre-req is Stash 2 which itself has no reqs.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 10, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's another strength/endurance grinding exploit, on Factory this time. So if you need PMC kills, head there and kill the hatchlings trying to do it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think a lot of sweats are camping it too because they dont want a level playing field from when they did it before lmao

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They should have banned everyone that cheated up their str/endurance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hakimashou posted:

They should have banned everyone that cheated up their str/endurance.

They'd have to take the game out of Beta status for that.

Which yes, we all know that's a bullshit fig leaf but still.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think a lot of sweats are camping it too because they dont want a level playing field from when they did it before lmao

It's kind of hard to tell them apart from the people trying to get their PMC kill quests done, tbf

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ShowTime posted:

I mean, i'm level 31 and just recently got metabolism to level 3 and am working on strength to level 3. They don't happen as normally as you think. But I do agree that the cheesing poo poo is boring as hell. I've only done it for 2 raids and while I did get like 5 skill points, they are so boring. I've been going to Woods and walking along the outside. Met a couple people just sprinting around to outskirts and killed them, but it's still boring.

Yeah, I was... unimpressed when I learned that metabolism only counts in-raid eating. It's not really explained anywhere, and I realized eventually what was going on. But especially given that healing in the hideout gives healing XP, you'd think eating would count.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
We need a BSG logo like we have for :dice:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

aniviron posted:

Yeah, I was... unimpressed when I learned that metabolism only counts in-raid eating. It's not really explained anywhere, and I realized eventually what was going on. But especially given that healing in the hideout gives healing XP, you'd think eating would count.

Healing in hideout only gives regular XP, not skill XP!

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I guess you could always go in hurt and heal in raid, if you really wanted the skill xp

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey, they did the thing https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1237764844213993473?s=20

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hey, that's cool. Did they also fix the wallhack, aimbot, loot radar, infinite sprint, and other issues that were also showcased as being part of the hack?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the game is unplayable, every other labs is a blatant cheater, which means that there are probably 10x as many discrete ones

i bet 50% of all real player deaths (non hatchetlings) are due to hackers

Orv
May 4, 2011
Where's my table breaking ironicat.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I could say something about stones and glass houses, etc, but he's absolutely right. I've seen a lot more hacking lately, and coupled with poor game server performance and match times, it's a bit of a bummer. I've seen a lot of games die from poor queuing and hacking. Not saying we are on course there yet, but how they deal with all this poo poo will be telling.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve played labs once this wipe. I was in a duo, and some dude tried to wall bang us through hard cover, then magically tossed two grenades, each landing on top of one of us. Doesn’t seem worth it when reserve has raiders, is a better map, has insurance and scav runs, and has a boss.

They should just get rid of the keycard cost. That way all of the Hatchets hand hackers will self segregate to labs, and the remaining cool dudes can play the good and fun maps (customs, interchange, and reserve)

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 12, 2020

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
hackers only became so prevalent to the point it's impossible to play about a week and a half ago. labs was great because there were so many fewer (but still surprisingly a lot) of hatchetlings, and only a handful of mosinchads, and hunter/vss no armor players.

it was actually worth my time killing players rather than scooping loot and extracting like the other maps encourage.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

ShowTime posted:

Strength should come naturally from carrying a bunch of loot out. If you need a boost to easily carrying too much weight - especially before the overweight penalties in the next 'big' patch - for now just use a docs case full of SAS drives in your secure. It's 2 slots for around 13kg of extra weight. Once you stack an actual loadout on top of that, you should be sitting at around 35+ kg *at the start of the raid*. Pick up just a couple of items and you'll spend most of a raid being overweight and training Strength while the only downside being that your stamina will run out a little faster.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
In the final stages of maxing out my hideout. Got the last level 3's going and then it's just the library and booze generator. After those, i'm done with the hideout and it's off to just doing scav runs until the hacking gets in check.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

aniviron posted:

Hey, that's cool. Did they also fix the wallhack, aimbot, loot radar, infinite sprint, and other issues that were also showcased as being part of the hack?

*puts band-aid on gaping wounds*

“This issue has been resolved”

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Patch is starting. Game down for the next three hours. I don't remember them saying they'd reset strength and endurance to 0 as part of the patch, but they are. I hit strength 3 just a couple days ago and got the upgrades going, so hopefully nothing lovely happens and my hideout is still upgrading to max.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1238029328136404995?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
In a reply to that:
https://twitter.com/Pestily/status/1238035787641479172

If loving PESTILY can't get to Elite during one wipe, then the system is loving broken man.