Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The diplomatic incidents caused by paradox being a state corporation would be hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

YF-23 posted:

To be honest the simulation aspects of the game was one of my favourite things about it. The ability to take a backwater region and slowly urbanise it to the point where it competes with the traditional centres of civilisation of antiquity is inherently satisfying and something I hope Paradox leans on as the game develops further.

This right here is why Victoria is quietly my favorite Paradox franchise.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Drone posted:

This right here is why Victoria is quietly my favorite Paradox franchise.

same, but loudly

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

Guys the Steam page for Total War: Rome 2 says it takes 35 GB of hard drive space!!! Wow an immense amount of content.

*In a Todd voice* OVER EIGHT TIMES THE DETAIL

Clearly the superior and in fact most ultimate Rome game every made. I've never heard of a Rome game with more gigabytes and therefore more content than that!

Rome 2 Total War is way more fun than Imperator at present. Sad!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rome 2 Total War is way more fun than Imperator at present. Sad!

:hmmyes: After the failure of Imperator I went back to Rome 2 and it's still getting updates and it's pretty good now. And even has a crazy indepth overhaul mod in DEI if you want to really get up in it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't believe you, I heard experts say strategy game can't have continuous support unless they move features into DLCs and sell music and on-map objects as separate DLCs.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rome 2 TW is still bad, just less broken.

Also IR's nes simulationy bent is like a million times more interesting than its bare, lifeless release incarnation, I cant imagine why anyone (apart from johan, apparently) could possibly be absorbed by the latter

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Beamed posted:

Broke: Measuring content by functionality, immersion, and keeping the player engaged
Woke: Measuring content by raw file size on the HD
Bespoke: Measuring content by amount of shitposting the game produces

Star Citizen has the most content of any game ever.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Johan literally said IR had the most content of any PDX game on release. Seems the guy who made it would have the inside line on what was in it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
thats literally pr what else would he say "the games not really done wait for patches and dlc sorry" lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

Johan literally said IR had the most content of any PDX game on release. Seems the guy who made it would have the inside line on what was in it.

It seems to me like someone trying to sell their newest game would have a material interest in saying that that newest game has the most content out of all their previous releases

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Johan has always seemed like a straight up and down guy to me rather than a PR talking point.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
When people say content what the actually mean is Content That Anyone Cares About, hope this helps!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Johan has always seemed like a straight up and down guy to me rather than a PR talking point.

Johan thought the game was perfectly fine at release

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Opinion on the quality of content is different to a statement on quantity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ah, I see we have discovered the Objective Measure of Quantity of Content

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

BBJoey posted:

Johan thought the game was perfectly fine at release

Didn't he also say it wasn't just perfectly fine, it was the best strategy game he'd ever made?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Drone posted:

Didn't he also say it wasn't just perfectly fine, it was the best strategy game he'd ever made?

Yes.

The saddest part is that I'm pretty sure he genuinely believed it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BBJoey posted:

Ah, I see we have discovered the Objective Measure of Quantity of Content

Yes? You're saying quantities can't be measured?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
I just can't believe how much event text was in Imperator on release! What a great and worthy derail for Imperator: Rome, the officially certified best game ever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More Content is not objectively better.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
One persons content is another persons filler.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

AnoHito posted:

Yes.

The saddest part is that I'm pretty sure he genuinely believed it.

He didn't call it the most enjoyable or most likable game he ever made.

He announced the dropping of mana aspect shortly after devdiary where he talked about MP still making a better strategy game, so I see him giving up on bringing "the best" gameplay and instead of giving people gameplay they want.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Yes? You're saying quantities can't be measured?

I'm saying that as defined so far in this thread, "content" is meaningless. You could write billions of words and shove them events that have a 1% chance of firing every 100 hours. In something as complex as a video game, especially a paradox game, evaluating "content" by filesize is utterly worthless.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 10, 2020

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Opinion on the quality of content is different to a statement on quantity.

Too bad, people are still going to just use the word Content while in part meaning the quality to no matter what you think about them doing that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BBJoey posted:

I'm saying that as defined so far in this thread, "content" is meaningless. You could write billions of words and shove them events that have a 1% chance of firing every 100 hours. In something as complex as a video game, especially a paradox game, evaluating "content" by filesize is utterly worthless.

you know content when you see it?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Do you think private companies are in the habit of deliberately wasting money on unnecessary labour, comrade?

Do you not?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Who honestly gives a gently caress about the amount of content? Clearly the velocity of content is far more important. That's why DH Kaiserreich is the unparalleled king of content, no one can reach the sheer amount of event notifications you have to click away in the first few months.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Maybe we have to measure acceleration of content.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ilitarist posted:

Maybe we have to measure acceleration of content.

We can't stop there! We need to measure the jerk and higher derivatives as well

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don’t care about my content’s 0-60. Give me the content with heated seats and nicely placed cup holders.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real question is how much non-content we have relative to the content.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

Do you not?

Not deliberately

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Despite hating the game at launch I think I'm actually more optimistic about the future of Imp than I am any other Paradox franchise. Certainly a lot more than CK3 or EU4.

How come? The dev diaries for CK3 are generally well received by us in the CK2 thread, what are your worries about it?

Mr Snips posted:

It also had the problem where the game was obviously pushed out before it was ready, something that sounds like will happen to CK3 too

Oh? What makes you think they will push out CK3 before it's ready? I'm genuinely curious, where did you hear/read that?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Torrannor posted:

How come? The dev diaries for CK3 are generally well received by us in the CK2 thread, what are your worries about it?

I posted my thoughts there a while back. That was before we got lost in the blasted wasteland of lifestyle perk tree (:shepicide:) DDs.

To summarise: almost everything they've previewed so far is stuff I'm apathetic about or is actively opposed to what I was hoping to see in that area from a third CK.

In general, they seem to be leaning hard into the role-play/character-building stuff. Which- is definitely the strong point of the franchise? I can definitely understand why they'd sit down and go, "This is our character-driven series. Let's focus on the characters." But on the other hand- it's the strong point of the franchise. I did not ever feel that the role-playing side of the game was lacking, per se. There was room for expansion, sure, but it's the state-building/governance side of CK2 I felt needed improvement.

In any case, I've got the message: this game is Not For Me. I'm completely checked out at this point and I'm not going to be buying it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

CK2 suffered from the basics of the game not being character-centered enough. Even after years of updates, CK2 has UI of a grand strategy game with character stuff feelign like it's modded on top - a lot of character decisions are spread around diplomacy or intrigue decisions; at any given moment 2/3 of the screen show you political map; you can't see 2 character screens at the same time etc. CK1 was even more of a GSG with fewer RPG elements and CK2 devs probably still thought about it as strategy game first.

This might make CK2 not only uniquely awkward to play but also attractive to people who don't care about all the Sims thing, I guess. You can play it as a map control game where the diplomatic side is more developed. But it seems that CK3 will be much more focused and farther away from traditional Risk structure. I'm much more irritated by awkwardness than positive on ambition so I welcome this new game. But it would lose a huge part of fanbase who prefer jankier but more ambitious CK2.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

My experience with IR is that I bought it right around release, started a game as Kush, then burned through my entire manpower reserve by marching my army down the Nile through my own territory and waiting a whole generation for it to come back. I haven’t played since then.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

BgRdMchne posted:

My experience with IR is that I bought it right around release, started a game as Kush, then burned through my entire manpower reserve by marching my army down the Nile through my own territory and waiting a whole generation for it to come back. I haven’t played since then.

One of these mechanics is good (high attrition), one of them is bad and has since been fixed (eternally-slow manpower regeneration).

It's still a really bad game though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I posted my thoughts there a while back. That was before we got lost in the blasted wasteland of lifestyle perk tree (:shepicide:) DDs.

To summarise: almost everything they've previewed so far is stuff I'm apathetic about or is actively opposed to what I was hoping to see in that area from a third CK.

In general, they seem to be leaning hard into the role-play/character-building stuff. Which- is definitely the strong point of the franchise? I can definitely understand why they'd sit down and go, "This is our character-driven series. Let's focus on the characters." But on the other hand- it's the strong point of the franchise. I did not ever feel that the role-playing side of the game was lacking, per se. There was room for expansion, sure, but it's the state-building/governance side of CK2 I felt needed improvement.

In any case, I've got the message: this game is Not For Me. I'm completely checked out at this point and I'm not going to be buying it.

Yeah, that's fair. I tried three times to get into EUIV, each time with most of the relevant DLC when there was a Humble Bundle or a sale, and I bounced every time. My country expanded, got richer, built a fort, got a tech, etc. And I just didn't really care. But some dipshit had my genius heir assassinated? I'd do my best to kill every single member of his family, exterminate his whole dynasty. The role-play/character-building stuff is absolutely the main draw of the game for me, and I'm very happy that they're leaning further into that direction. Of course, if you're more interested in the nation building part of GSGs, then Imperator and EU are more suited to your tastes, and it's obvious why you wouldn't be excited about the things they've shown us of CK3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

you can't see 2 character screens at the same time etc.

has there been any hint that this will be possible in CK3? would be cool but I doubt it's possible unless they are moving away from the standard Paradox UI conventions where everything is kind of hard-baked onto the left side of the screen.