Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
I feel like the answer to this is going to be "no" in Tory Hell Country but I'm wondering if there's any of you know if there's anything I can do if my letting agent is.... really poo poo?

In the 3 months since the landlord handed over to them they've let the guy they had doing some maintenance work sleep in one of the unlet rooms without telling us, regularly given us no notice at all when they were sending people over, and done basically nothing about the mice problem we have despite saying someone would be over next day (about a week ago now).

Today the owner of the cleaning company our agent uses came over to show around a new cleaner without any warning, and when one of my housemates asked who she was she flew off the handle and basically told him to keep his nose out of her business. Her business in our house.

It's really just exhausting and we're constantly being reminded that they don't really consider us as much more at home here than the loving mice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Except for US citizens, who have sovereign immunity from foreign viruses

The anglosphere is the one dickhead in every zombie movie who gets bit but doesn't say anything because they assume they're special.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Goons! Today is the day that you have spent your lives training for.

The single biggest thing that could help reduce the spread of this pandemic would be Valve announcing a surprise Steam Sale.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

bionic vapour boy posted:

I feel like the answer to this is going to be "no" in Tory Hell Country but I'm wondering if there's any of you know if there's anything I can do if my letting agent is.... really poo poo?

In the 3 months since the landlord handed over to them they've let the guy they had doing some maintenance work sleep in one of the unlet rooms without telling us, regularly given us no notice at all when they were sending people over, and done basically nothing about the mice problem we have despite saying someone would be over next day (about a week ago now).

Today the owner of the cleaning company our agent uses came over to show around a new cleaner without any warning, and when one of my housemates asked who she was she flew off the handle and basically told him to keep his nose out of her business. Her business in our house.

It's really just exhausting and we're constantly being reminded that they don't really consider us as much more at home here than the loving mice!

Change the locks, but get ready to move cause they'll kick right off.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

The single biggest thing that could help reduce the spread of this pandemic would be Valve announcing a surprise Steam Sale.

It’s that joke writ large that brexit is going accelerate into smaller and smaller units until every gammon is confined into their own home

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Every game completely free but only during work hours

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The single biggest thing that could help reduce the spread of this pandemic would be Valve announcing a surprise Steam Sale Nintendo announcing a surprise early release for Animal Crossing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pokémon GO otoh is entirely cancelled.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Staff at nintendo desperately scramble to cancel and cover up their new Defeat Bowser By Touching All Your Friends Directly On The Face novelty control scheme video game

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Today the owner of the cleaning company our agent uses came over to show arou nd a new cleaner without any warning, and when one of my housemates asked who she was she flew off the handle and basically told him to keep his nose out of her business. Her business in our house.

Your post suggests that you love in an HMO as opposed to renting out a house or flat, is that right?

If you do live in an HMO, as long as the people are only entering the communal areas, you basically have no right to stop them doing so.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Any teachers hearing the same re school closures. Have a relative who texted me to say her school is now likely to be closed from Monday, I would assume this is nationwide.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
being disincluded from the us travel ban is definitely not a good thing, it means Americans will still be able to come here and they are basically trying everything they can to make the disease spread there

e: school closures will probably have the knock on effect of requiring people to stay home to do childcare, but I really hope they have a plan for nurses, doctors etc with kids.

some of them might have partners who have non-essential jobs but a lot of families will have two parents working in the NHS

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 12, 2020

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

It'd be worth checking your tenancy agreement for details, but Shelter specifically cites the coming over at no notice thing (albeit for landlords rather than letting agents) as something which is legally "unfair" and cannot be in a tenancy agreement. I'd take that to mean it's also "unfair" for them to just turn up and something that can be complained about, though IANAL.

quote:

Problems with your tenancy agreement
You should be given enough time to read and understand your tenancy agreement before you sign.

Unfair terms
Tenancy agreements must not contain any terms the law says are unfair, such as:
  • the landlord can use a 'break clause' to end the tenancy early, but you can't
  • excessive interest on unpaid rent
  • you're not allowed to have guests overnight
  • that your landlord can come in whenever they want, without giving notice
  • saying you have to fix repairs that the landlord is legally responsible for

They also have a page with more details for complaining about your letting agent, though the first step should always been complaining directly to the letting company

quote:

Complain to the letting agent
Your first step should always be to raise the issue with your letting agent directly.

Most letting agents and estate agents have a complaints procedure you can follow. Look on the agent's website or ask their office for details. They must tell you about their complaints procedure if you ask.

Set your case out clearly in writing and provide details of times and dates where relevant. Send a written complaint if the letting agent doesn't appear to have a complaints procedure.

The letting agent may investigate, ask questions, ask you to send copies of documents and inspect your home. The letting agent should write to you to tell you the result of their investigation.

Might be worth contacting them via webchat or phone as well so you can talk through the issues in more detail: https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ukle posted:

Any teachers hearing the same re school closures. Have a relative who texted me to say her school is now likely to be closed from Monday, I would assume this is nationwide.

If schools are closing it will be on an authority by authority basis. I haven't heard anything about closures in Aberdeenshire yet, and I would expect to hear that within an hour of an announcement.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

watching the uk news and it's like they're speaking from 1-2 weeks ago where it wasn't obvious that it's everywhere. we're so loving hosed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

haha those silly people phoning 111 with a cold even when they haven't visited a country with an outbreak :suicide:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jedit posted:

If schools are closing it will be on an authority by authority basis. I haven't heard anything about closures in Aberdeenshire yet, and I would expect to hear that within an hour of an announcement.

Given education is a devolved issue, I imagine its more likely a England, Wales, Scotland issue rather than the LEA having any say in it, and all 3 might handle it differently.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You think they care about people dying? https://twitter.com/returnthehunter/status/906892782463324160

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

haha those silly people phoning 111 with a cold even when they haven't visited a country with an outbreak :suicide:

Several people with covid caught them from asymptomatic carriers who had visited outbreak regions.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Several people with covid caught them from asymptomatic carriers who had visited outbreak regions.

sorry i should of been more clear. i think it's everywhere and we're totally hosed but people seem to be working on the idea that there's no outbreak here. 111 will still refuse to help you if you haven't been abroad or been in contact with someone who has.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Pokemon GO to your home and self-isolate

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

lol

So glad a national newspaper is using a cartoon as its front page image

I'm the cartoonist who has to include a "Dr Rishi Sunak" name badge and "patient's name Britannia" because my audience are too loving thick to pick up on these things unless they're literally spelt out for them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Some figures from a limited set of countries (not UK).

Bear in mind that USA testing has been, uh, comically bad. (not comical at all)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We've had too much dithering and delaying on the issue, and everyone's tired of hearing about it. The country just needs to Get Covid Done.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Tsietisin posted:

Your post suggests that you love in an HMO as opposed to renting out a house or flat, is that right?

If you do live in an HMO, as long as the people are only entering the communal areas, you basically have no right to stop them doing so.

Ah yeah, I should've been clearer, it's an HMO not like us renting a whole house together.

Bollocks.

I'm gonna try getting in contact with shelter and/or a renters union I think, though I have a nasty feeling even the mouse thing might be somewhere in the tenancy agreement :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm the cartoonist who has to include a "Dr Rishi Sunak" name badge and "patient's name Britannia" because my audience are too loving thick to pick up on these things unless they're literally spelt out for them
I'm the cartoonist who has to include a "Dr Rishi Sunak" name badge because I can't draw Rishi Sunak.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

on the one hand, I want to stop the spread of coronavirus by avoiding large congregations of people like the movie cinema, but on the other hand the movie has lesbians in it. we're all having to make difficult choices in this world today

Azza Bamboo posted:

We've had too much dithering and delaying on the issue, and everyone's tired of hearing about it. The country just needs to Get Covid Done.

oh god this is probably pretty much some people's actual opinion about this oh god

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I'm gonna try getting in contact with shelter and/or a renters union I think, though I have a nasty feeling even the mouse thing might be somewhere in the tenancy agreement :smith:

Do the mice have a direct agreement with the landlord or are they subletting off another tenant?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Pretty strong chance were excluded from the US travel ban just cause trump fancies a round of golf in Scotland next week

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just had a management meeting, looked like we were going to instruct full working from home (software company) and then the Financial Director said unless we could, there and then, tell him where a 20% revenue boost was coming from to cover what he expects we'd lose he would veto it. We could not, and so he did. Company policy now is to use paper towels rather than hand towels, and all meeting rooms are to have at least one window open while in use. That'll do, I'm sure.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pretty lousy finance director if he wouldn't veto in the case of a revenue boost. Take the money, you fool!

But in all seriousness the case which needs to be made is that the losses will be greater when everyone is at home sick, not working, compared with the scenario they're voting on where everyone's at home working.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 12, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ukle posted:

Jedit posted:

What Jedit said. I work for a teaching union and haven't heard anything yet, so nothing official is happening at the moment.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's not just a ban of direct flights, it's a ban of anyone who's set foot in a Bad Country in the last 14 days, so it's not just a case of flying from Paris to NY via Heathrow.

Indeed, any UK people flying to the US that go via a hub like Amsterdam will be blocked from entry too.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Sanford posted:

Just had a management meeting, looked like we were going to instruct full working from home (software company) and then the Financial Director said unless we could, there and then, tell him where a 20% revenue boost was coming from to cover what he expects we'd lose he would veto it. We could not, and so he did. Company policy now is to use paper towels rather than hand towels, and all meeting rooms are to have at least one window open while in use. That'll do, I'm sure.

is this post in a secret code because you don't want to reveal you work for hm government and your "financial director" is actually boris johnson. blink three times if maybe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
COVID-19%, but the number!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Angepain posted:

is this post in a secret code because you don't want to reveal you work for hm government and your "financial director" is actually boris johnson. blink three times if maybe

Could also be Jacob Rees-Mogg.

JRM posted:

Rees-Mogg replied that he had taken a Public Health England official into a division lobby and been told that the lobbies were “not a high risk”. But the expert did suggest opening windows, Rees-Mogg said.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Azza Bamboo posted:

But in all seriousness the case which needs to be made is that the losses will be greater when everyone is at home sick, not working, compared with the scenario they're voting on where everyone's at home working.

No he said this won't happen. He's heard that it's an estimated 20% of the workforce over a six month period which is only a couple of people a week. I started to correct his understanding of those figures and he said (in front of the full management team) "LOOK IF YOU WANT TO WORK FROM HOME SO BADLY WE CAN ARRANGE THAT AND PROBABLY HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT EXACTLY WHAT IMPACT THAT HAS ON YOUR REMUNERATION AT THE SAME TIME" so I dropped it and the discussion ended. He's definitely a person who knows above all else that number must go up, and he has had the opportunity to learn that consequences are something that happens to other people, not him.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sanford posted:

What an arsehole. I suppose it would not have been possible to say you can't answer that until he provides the [citation needed] for that 20%? Hard to reverse the lost revenue until you know why the revenue was lost.

Quite surprised it's in his remit tbh.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, my company has instituted work from home temporarily, with an update on if/how long it will be extended coming tomorrow. I have the dubious privilege of still being allowed in to do time-critical labwork, but otherwise the message is take home what computer equipment you need, postpone meetings or have them remotely, and basically don't leave the house. The local university has closed and I expect schools will follow suit shortly, good luck to parents trying to work from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yes Minister predicting the UK Corvid 19 playbook
https://i.imgur.com/xza6P27.gifv
Click through for sound (or right click/unmute)

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 12, 2020