Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

duz posted:

Whatever the one built into Windows is called.

e: Wow what a lovely page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Do not use 3rd party EDR either. Defender ATP owns plenty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

duz posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

duz posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do not buy or use third party AV products. Please. Thank you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
We have a Sophos campus license and are required to use it.

Even got some Mac users to install it (we don't support Macs) and it alerted us that those same Mac users apparently love installing MacKeeper, so… :confuoot:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While we're on the subject, does Defender ATP have a standalone license yet, or do I just need to push harder for E5 licenses?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They’re selling ATP ala carte now. We have an E3 enterprise and paid for it separately.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

They’re selling ATP ala carte now. We have an E3 enterprise and paid for it separately.

Do you have a SKU, because it is not listed on this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/minimum-requirements

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Antigravitas posted:

We have a Sophos campus license and are required to use it.

Even got some Mac users to install it (we don't support Macs) and it alerted us that those same Mac users apparently love installing MacKeeper, so… :confuoot:

I swear we used to sell boxed retail copies of MacKeeper at Micro Center long ago.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

I swear we used to sell boxed retail copies of MacKeeper at Micro Center long ago.

It’s more that MacKeeper installs itself like a Mac Adobe product (or regular Windows software). It sprays itself all over the file system and wriggles into the weirdest of places making it nigh impossible to uninstall completely.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People really love weird cleanup tools whose primary functionality is hosing your system, huh.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do not buy or use third party AV products. Please. Thank you.

On that note:

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1237105815414124549

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, Avast disabled the JS interpreter globally yesterday, I believe. We owe Tavis a great debt.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

While firewalls and routers can be the same, neither has to be part of the other. Standalone firewalls are becoming less common these days but standalone routers are still very much a thing. Most layer 3 switches are just routing, not firewalling, likewise for internet backbone routers.

yeah sorry, i meant in the context of a NAT router.

by default a NAT router will drop incoming connections, because it has no idea where to point them, which is the firewally choice.

not an amazing thing in any way, except for home users who don't know poo poo. NAT really saved the world a ton of hurt there IMO, you mostly have to attack browsers now instead of people's publicly accessible, unpatched RDP ports. because i'm sure we all know if every ip was public, consumer routers would just blindly forward everything by default :v:

e: and yeah, DMZ on consumer routers is a big lol of a misnomer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is there any on-modification antivirus for macOS that can scan by file signature only and doesn’t just scan downloads? As far as I know, XProtect, the built-in one, only runs on files tagged as downloaded. I just want XProtect but for any files that get modified, regardless of supposed origin.

I tried modifying clamav from MacPorts to watch /Users, but it pegs an entire core of my CPU constantly due to being a giant hack.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, Avast disabled the JS interpreter globally yesterday
That's such a hilarious "Oh NO YOU DIDN'T"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Unpatched Samba flaw now public...
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/03/windows-has-a-new-wormable-vulnerability-and-theres-no-patch-in-sight/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Luckily not Samba, but MS SMBv3, so none of our file services are impacted.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I always forget that SMB isn't pronounced Samba...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

I always forget that SMB isn't pronounced Samba...
A coworker made that mistake just 20 minutes ago and for a hot second I was very confused.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I'm only JUST winning the battle of disabling SMBv1 on my infrastructure, so alright I guess.

We also have 1803 on our desktops, so alright x2 I guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I just finished SMBv1 closeout, Least Privilege Access and LAPS for AD, and we're getting ready to roll out 802.1x and Privilage Access Workstation.

Biggest fight is killing the last of our HTTP APIs and getting rid of FTP.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 12, 2020

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I'm not even going to start on the struggle I'm having getting people to buy in to PAW, but know it is not a fun one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm only JUST winning the battle of disabling SMBv1 on my infrastructure, so alright I guess.

1803 has been out of support for 5 months, which means your computers possibly haven't received security updates since November 2019 (except for Enterprise versions, which get support till November 2020)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yep. Enterprise. Apparently our desktop team is fighting to upgrade, but I don't know to what (hopefully not 1809) and I don't know how that's going.

Other question: Is there any reason an API would not use OAuth over the internet other than "because it's hard"?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We went to 1809. It doesn't really matter which one you pick, they are all bug-ridden festering poo poo garbage.

I've found so many bugs. Many of them aren't huge but they just keep adding up. Like Windows disabling WOL if you shut down from the login screen, but keeping WOL available when you shut down while logged in. Leaving EXCLUSIVE WRITE LOCKS OPEN over SMB after logoff, sending print jobs as Letter despite EVERYTHING set to A4 default EVERYWHERE, etc. etc.

Just go to the absolute latest, it will have fucktons of bugs, but who cares anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm not even going to start on the struggle I'm having getting people to buy in to PAW, but know it is not a fun one.

Buy in has actually been good so far, when we stripped admin rights and gave select people admin escalation rights, they were concerned but I ate the dogfood I was selling and suddenly they liked it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Where do you work? I want to get some of that free money.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Buy in has actually been good so far, when we stripped admin rights and gave select people admin escalation rights, they were concerned but I ate the dogfood I was selling and suddenly they liked it.

Good god I hate this term. Why does it exist? Who's eating dog food?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mustache Ride posted:

Good god I hate this term. Why does it exist? Who's eating dog food?

Jeff Atwood posted:

The idea originated in television commercials for Alpo brand dog food; actor Lorne Greene would tout the benefits of the dog food, and then would say it's so good that he feeds it to his own dogs. In 1988, Microsoft manager Paul Maritz sent Brian Valentine, test manager for Microsoft LAN Manager, an email titled "Eating our own Dogfood" challenging him to increase internal usage of the product.

The idea is that you're not putting out garbage that you wouldn't use yourself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

We went to 1809. It doesn't really matter which one you pick, they are all bug-ridden festering poo poo garbage.

I've found so many bugs. Many of them aren't huge but they just keep adding up. Like Windows disabling WOL if you shut down from the login screen, but keeping WOL available when you shut down while logged in. Leaving EXCLUSIVE WRITE LOCKS OPEN over SMB after logoff, sending print jobs as Letter despite EVERYTHING set to A4 default EVERYWHERE, etc. etc.
So far as I know, SMB doesn't do file locking at all, it only has something it calls locking which is cache control?
Which is annoying, because it means that Windows 10 doesn't work with NFS locking the way every single other NFS client implementation has since XP, where NetworkLanManager is just a thing you enable if you need it and bob's your uncle.

Antigravitas posted:

who cares anymore.
Microsoft sure don't.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Volmarias posted:

The idea is that you're not putting out garbage that you wouldn't use yourself.

I understand what it means. I'm saying it's an awful phrase and used rampant in the Security and IT Space. Like AI and Machine Learning. Stop using it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

D. Ebdrup posted:

So far as I know, SMB doesn't do file locking at all

In this case, Windows places a DENY_ALL lock on the ntuser.dat during logoff and holds it forever. We _require_ roaming profiles and due to the way computer pools work, the same user may then log on on a different PC and get a temporary profile since ntuser.dat can't be accessed due to the lock held from the previous computer.

The "solution" is a logoff script of Start-Sleep 10. The lock is then released.

Locking on SMB is even worse than on NFS. A client can request a lock on a file, then go offline for a few months, and expect that nobody else has modified the file in the meantime.

We have of course disabled CSC completely because that thing is a data destroyer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

In this case, Windows places a DENY_ALL lock on the ntuser.dat during logoff and holds it forever. We _require_ roaming profiles and due to the way computer pools work, the same user may then log on on a different PC and get a temporary profile since ntuser.dat can't be accessed due to the lock held from the previous computer.

The "solution" is a logoff script of Start-Sleep 10. The lock is then released.

Locking on SMB is even worse than on NFS. A client can request a lock on a file, then go offline for a few months, and expect that nobody else has modified the file in the meantime.

We have of course disabled CSC completely because that thing is a data destroyer.
Ahahaha, you can't make this poo poo up.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Where do you work? I want to get some of that free money.

There are even worse things inside my network right now; if you can believe that.

Does anyone have experience with Airlock Digital? My company is putting them up against Carbon Black for application whitelisting and I only know what their sales team has told me (which, I'm sure you can understand, I take with a massive grain of salt).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

1> Server versions affected are just Core, which is relatively rare.
2> To attack a client, you have to con the end user into connecting to a malicious SMB share. If you already have that level of influence, it's just a question of how you want to own the system.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

AlternateAccount posted:

2> To attack a client, you have to con the end user into connecting to a malicious SMB share

There's about a hundred places you can stick a UNC path and have windows try to connect to it, "have to con" is exaggerating the complexity slightly

(It may prove difficult to exploit but not for this reason)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://blog.reasonsecurity.com/2020/03/09/covid-19-info-stealer-the-map-of-threats-threat-analysis-report/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mustache Ride posted:

I understand what it means. I'm saying it's an awful phrase and used rampant in the Security and IT Space. Like AI and Machine Learning. Stop using it.

Give a better saying then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I’m corona.bat