Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Apparently hackers are using a fake version of a corona virus map to spread a virus.
2016-2020 is such a loving weird tv show. Who wrote this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is just running the government like a business, if you notice a problem that is coming in a few days then you hurt your short term profits, best to just get those short term profits and deal with the problem when it hits and completely destroys the entire planet

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

coolusername posted:

Inside gossip: bunch of Sydney hospitals are putting elective surgeries on hold and prepping for a big influx of acute cases. Lots of talk about how everything is about to be hosed.

The hospital where I receive chemo has cancelled in person follow up appointments and is now conducting them by phone. They're also sending patients to external imaging providers where possible. The registrar made it very clear that they want immunocompromised patients at the hospital as little as possible at the moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Irish guy here. I just worked out in the other thread that if you want to get from Europe the US between 27th of March and 12th April you

1) travel visa free to Ireland, as you are entitled to as a member of the EU.
2) chill in Ireland or the UK for two weeks
3) continue on to the US

Trump has turned multiple countries into the US's quarantine tent

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Splicer posted:

Irish guy here. I just worked out in the other thread that if you want to get from Europe the US between 27th of March and 12th April you

1) travel visa free to Ireland, as you are entitled to as a member of the EU.
2) chill in Ireland or the UK for two weeks
3) continue on to the US

Trump has turned multiple countries into the US's quarantine tent

It's gonna be so funny when the rest of the world closes it's borders with the US because we're so pox ridden. It'll take like, what, 2 weeks or so?

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
How many coronaviruses has Trump caught yet?

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
I work at a massive London visitor attraction and I can't believe we're still open to the public. All week I've been expecting we will do the sane thing and close, but it becomes apparent the management will hold out until they get a direct govt order to shut, and that won't be any time soon.

It looked a few weeks ago like the UK at least had a decent handle on testing people and we might not gently caress this up too badly, but I no longer feel that at all.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

lithium flour posted:

I work at a massive London visitor attraction and I can't believe we're still open to the public. All week I've been expecting we will do the sane thing and close, but it becomes apparent the management will hold out until they get a direct govt order to shut, and that won't be any time soon.

It looked a few weeks ago like the UK at least had a decent handle on testing people and we might not gently caress this up too badly, but I no longer feel that at all.

Isn't your government right behind our Trump in being oddly dismissive of corona ripping through your population? Didn't Boris say as much on TV?

US and UK, getting hosed together for no reason other than idiotic leadership.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
He was claiming to have shaken hands with corona patients or some poo poo, yeah.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pyrotoad posted:

He was claiming to have shaken hands with corona patients or some poo poo, yeah.

Yeah, but no one believes Boris actually did that. We don't even know what hospital he was supposedly doing this at.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-51843128

quote:

A teenager was sent home from school after being caught selling shots of hand sanitiser to his fellow pupils at 50p a go.

His mother, Jenny Tompkins, from Leeds, posted a picture of him arriving home earlier after his entrepreneurial exploits at Dixons Unity Academy.

In a post on Facebook, she said it was hard to discipline her son when his "dad called to say he was a legend".

He plans to use the £9 he made to buy a kebab, she added.

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine

pnumoman posted:

US and UK, getting hosed together for no reason other than idiotic leadership.

Yep. Getting hosed a certain % seems to be inevitable, but both are headed for much worse than that due simply to pig-headedness.

My partner is an anxious type. Back in January I had to talk him down from going full prepper with six months of military rations each, water tanks in the bathroom, etc. I conceded that 2-3 weeks of supplies we would use anyway might be a good idea, so we did that. Now that it has actually become a real thing though, it is reversing .. a) he suddenly is averse to upsetting things at work by insisting he stay home, and b) I'm really starting to hope he wasn't right back then!

Looking for a positive.. I guess I'm off the hook for a grim family wedding in NYC in May. :smith:

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine

Lambert posted:

Yeah, but no one believes Boris actually did that. We don't even know what hospital he was supposedly doing this at.

Weren't they his own cabinet ministers?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Whereas at my school there’s a kid that just goes around between class and gives everyone a little hand sanitizer for free. He said his mom always has a billion of them at home and she was finally right lol. Dude is awesome.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Myriarch posted:

The danger is that it's not just the elderly that need to worry, but also anyone with comorbidities and compromised immune systems, which imaginatively would describe AIDS sufferers in Africa. That said I do remember reading a study earlier this week (cannot find it now, maybe I made it up) which said that there wasn't evidence for AIDS affecting wuhan flu. So maybe in the end africa will inherit the planet after all once we're all dead.

I’m really hoping Africa isn’t hit with this thing. For their sake, but also, if the virus doesn’t catch on there, it means the theory of this thing being seasonal might still hold up? Also, people who have everything in the world here get into actual fights over a loving roll of toilet paper, imagine what happens when already stripped to the bone supply lines of necessities in some African countries go down.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

lithium flour posted:

Weren't they his own cabinet ministers?

Random people during a further unspecified recent hospital visit,. But yeah, the health minister has the 'roni.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

80 people infected in Poland - a country of 36 million - and almost everywhere’s out of loving toilet paper in Warsaw.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

mrfart posted:

I’m really hoping Africa isn’t hit with this thing. For their sake, but also, if the virus doesn’t catch on there, it means the theory of this thing being seasonal might still hold up? Also, people who have everything in the world here get into actual fights over a loving roll of toilet paper, imagine what happens when already stripped to the bone supply lines of necessities in some African countries go down.

Pretty sure it's too late for that, a bunch of countries have a handful of confirmed cases already.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

The big spring classics are already canceled I'm pretty sure. They aren't going to be racing in Europe this year.

Only the Italian ones. I'm not sure the flemish government would cancel them even if half thé country were dead.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

uguu posted:

Only the Italian ones. I'm not sure the flemish government would cancel them even if half thé country were dead.
I hope they run them.

gently caress the tours.

Part of being a bike racer.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mrfart posted:

Wait till this guy learns that Africa is huge and not entirely tropical, and also headed into winter right now

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There are a few known cases in Marocco, which means it's loving everywhere if they're idiot lazy bums who don't test, like us.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Mokotow posted:

80 people infected in Poland - a country of 36 million - and almost everywhere’s out of loving toilet paper in Warsaw.

did they still have frozen pizza?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

poverty goat posted:

Wait till this guy learns that Africa is huge and not entirely tropical, and also headed into winter right now

Yes thanks, I’m well aware that Maghreb countries actually have similar temperatures atm to Spain. didn’t think it was actually loving necessary to point out I’m talking about subsaharan Africa and places where it’s as hot as it would be in summer here.
I had hoped that there was a tiny chance the handful of cases they have there were tourist arriving at airports and going straight to ac hotel. But it’s more likely that it’s everywhere and they’re not testing.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My friend just flew to Senegal to spread her good roni vibes :toot:

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So I'm a US citizen currently in Spain for the next week and just saw president gently caress face's travel ban announcement. I know I'm probably going to be able to return home ok but I'm here with my live in girlfriend who is a Spanish citizen who lives in the US on a work Visa with a tech company. I'm deathly afraid that she's going to be denied access to the country and we'll be indefinitely separated. Does anyone have any hard info on what a person in her situation will be looking at coming home?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As long as Ireland and the UK are exempt, she’ll need a two week layover there and it’ll be good. Unless they shutdown all air travel into the US.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

hmm...i was sick earlier in february with what i THOUGHT was Strep, but came back negative. Had fever, cough, no real nasal issues tbh.

wonder if i had the roni

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Where's the RoniBros gang tag?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Drunk Nerds posted:

Holy poo poo, it's amazing how your ego forces you to respond to getting completely owned and rebuked by trying to offer anecdotal counter-intuitive advice. Just stop posting.

He's right though? If everyone follows that advice it won't spread. Obviously everyone may not do that, but on an individual level he's nailed the personal responsibility part of it. If you have responsibility over others that's obviously not the situation he was discussing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/1238062852306583552

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's probably for the best that my mom died quietly in her sleep last year. she had severe respiratory problems, a compromised immune system, and refused to ever retire from being a teacher no matter how her condition declined. she definitely would have caught this and died coughing in agony, as she almost did multiple times from pneumonia.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Mokotow posted:

As long as Ireland and the UK are exempt, she’ll need a two week layover there and it’ll be good. Unless they shutdown all air travel into the US.

That would be unfortunate but something we could afford. My question is if this travel ban applies to EU citizens with active visas who currently live in the US?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

szary posted:

did they still have frozen pizza?

Is that price 14.99 for a single frozen pizza?

is that in euros or something?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Even though I prepped and could weather this storm I'm panicked over all my loved ones who could likely perish from this pandemic.

My folks who are elderly who live in another state. Given that I'm right in the epicenter of all this in kirkland, wa... I'm worried we're about to get locked down full quarantine. What would happen if my parents died and I can't travel to be with them or deal with the aftermath?

Yeah I'm not doing well here.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
About Ireland... What about the northern border? Will it be a giant clusterfuck or will the virus de facto bring unification?

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Rad-daddio posted:

Is that price 14.99 for a single frozen pizza?

is that in euros or something?

it's in PLN (1 euro = ~4.2 PLN), but that's the price for whatever's below the checkout conveyor, one frozen pizza is around 2 euro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

smoobles posted:

This will be the collapse of the US healthcare system.

I hope you're right.