Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But let's be realistic if you are buying that set you aren't selling the baby yoda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

That's amazing. I really need to try my hand at that kind of thing. I have a few Friends sets cos they often have useful parts, but I never use the pastel coloured parts for anything so I should change that.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Took a week off work next week to visit family and plans fell through when my cousin got a new job and can't get the time off work.

Might be able to finally make a dent in the backlog.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Unikitty actually wore Batman's costume and pretended to be him in the last episode of the first season of Unikitty.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Having a Lego backlog is such an alien concept to me, I think the longest a sealed new Lego set has survived in my house is 1 day (excluding in the form of wrapped presents)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

RodShaft posted:

Unikitty actually wore Batman's costume and pretended to be him in the last episode of the first season of Unikitty.
Good. It was already canon to me anyway.

fox.com/watch gives you a free trial of an hour to watch recent shows whenever. I guess you could watch the lego show, but c'mon, Bob's Burgers. There's a stupid overlay of a countdown timer though.
:ninja:just use an incognito tab and watch however much you want :ninja:

deoju fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 12, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Having a Lego backlog is such an alien concept to me, I think the longest a sealed new Lego set has survived in my house is 1 day (excluding in the form of wrapped presents)

I've had lego sets sitting unopened for 2 reasons.
When we found out we were having a kid, at the same time Lego put the entire castle line on a clearance sale so I bought about 20 different sets and we were set for christmas and birthdays for about 4 years.

Other than that, I've currently got the space station on hold to build, but that's because we're re-doing our basement and I'm putting shelves up to display my better lego creations, from everything I hear the space station is fragile as poo poo so it's getting built and thrown up on the wall immediately.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I still have Wall-E in a box unopened. I never had a place to set him and then I moved, so he’s in a box somewhere at my moms.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Release him, imo

in regard to backlogs:

I actually tackled my technic backlog by building four technic sets (each at least 1500 pieces or more) back to back. After that I couldn't see technic pieces anymore, so I built the Executor MoC. After that I couldn't greeble anymore but still somehow decided to bricklink Empire over Jedha and yeah my life is ruined at the moment.... (still building the hill, since hours, only to then greeble it to death)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My backlog is a mix of stuff I've got as a treat for myself when I've finished certain projects and stuff for rainy days / quarantine periods / when my daughter is older.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Was not expecting this

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1238087435030007810?s=20

https://www.ign.com/articles/lego-super-mario-revealed-bridges-gap-between-games-and-lego

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 12, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Uh....I actually expected them to go both for nostalgic factor for AFOLs, plus some play features for kids.

This though? I think it looks pretty ugly (but that's just mho), so I have zero interest. And I assume what we see here is the 100 Dollar set, and the 10 pieces = 10 dollar sets are the big figures with LCDs on them.

Gonna be a tough sell for kids if Mario Maker 2 is like 60 bucks or so (and if they don't have a Switch or 3Ds or whatever, they might not even know Mario that much, I assume?).

I also expected something completely different.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This looks completely stupid.

E: Like, tech wise it's impressive but I don't see much else there.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 12, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Individulal pieces like the Blooper and the flagpole look great. Maybe the shyguy and Piranha plant, can't be sure

Overall though ehhhhhhh

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's definitely not for me. But maybe kids will like it

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:wtc: Hard pass.

Just make a bunch of sets inspired by memorable parts in games each with different minifigs. You know, like the other licenses in your best selling line of toys.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was hoping for some dioramas similar to the Japense Dotgraphics stuff from years ago.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

This is not what I expected and not what I wanted. But it looks fascinating and something only Nintendo and Lego could've dreamed up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

Uh....I actually expected them to go both for nostalgic factor for AFOLs, plus some play features for kids.

This though? I think it looks pretty ugly (but that's just mho), so I have zero interest. And I assume what we see here is the 100 Dollar set, and the 10 pieces = 10 dollar sets are the big figures with LCDs on them.

Gonna be a tough sell for kids if Mario Maker 2 is like 60 bucks or so (and if they don't have a Switch or 3Ds or whatever, they might not even know Mario that much, I assume?).

I also expected something completely different.

I dunno, I probably would have gone absolutely apeshit over something like this if it was around when I was a kid. It's a little risky, I can't imagine developing these was cheap compared to what it would normally take Lego for a new line, but it seems like a pretty inspired idea and it's a good fit for the IP.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I started the second building of this year's modular last night, having owned the set for a bit more than a month.

Other than that, I have a open box Hidden Side set and the 2019 Star Wars advent calendar that were given to me by a colleague who is downsizing and moving overseas. Lastly the 75192 Millennium Falcon which is mostly still in the box but because I don't have a space large enough to keep it as a work in progress that my kids won't get into.

E: I'm not crazy about much of that Lego Mario video, but N+1th Doctor will probably lose her goddamn mind over it.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 12, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lego Mario. It's... bad?

Hopefully the CMFs are OK.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's cute, I wish my kid was a lot older as it might be fun to play with him.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't understand it, but it must have done well in product testing I guess?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Labo seemed pretty drat stupid when Nintendo first announced it but look how that turned out sales-wise. I bet this will be a big hit too.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
It looks like Lego Mario Party. If there's a game behind it, then that's neat.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It's a game, for kids. You know, actual kids.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's not the $100 set. I'm guessing it is the $60 that has like 250 pieces. The $100 set has approx 1000 pieces so is going to be bigger? More set like?

Unless everything is linked, then the series is going to be a huge failure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FBS posted:

Labo seemed pretty drat stupid when Nintendo first announced it but look how that turned out sales-wise. I bet this will be a big hit too.

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm. Preeeeetty sure.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Man, someone local is selling one of those Panama Canal sets. Almost in the price range that I’d get it just for the novelty.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/tag/d/washington-crossing-lego-education/7091473950.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I’m shocked Nintendo just didn’t release their own bricks:

https://customizeminifiguresintelligence.wordpress.com/2020/03/13/nintendo-was-once-a-lego-clone-brick-maker-50-years-ago/

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 12, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just don't see what you could possibly do with that electronic mario set. It being electronic and either scanning bricks with a camera or doing NFC stuff, it means you have to play within the boundaries of however they program it. That puts limitations on what you can do with it, and I just don't get what you even do with it. I hope there's more videos soon that explain what exactly it is. It looks like it might be some sort of game, but if you move Mario around yourself, how would they enforce any setbacks or consequences? Unless it's like a board game and you have to move it around the board like the game tells you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not the most exciting thing, but it'll be a good pool of pieces for people to make some cool rear end Mario poo poo. I might just buy it all and have a cool little section of Mario stuff.

I have no understanding how the game is supposed to play or if it's not a game and just something for kids to gently caress around with.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What cool rear end mario poo poo?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't see what you could possibly do with that electronic mario set. It being electronic and either scanning bricks with a camera or doing NFC stuff, it means you have to play within the boundaries of however they program it. That puts limitations on what you can do with it, and I just don't get what you even do with it. I hope there's more videos soon that explain what exactly it is. It looks like it might be some sort of game, but if you move Mario around yourself, how would they enforce any setbacks or consequences? Unless it's like a board game and you have to move it around the board like the game tells you.

Presumably there's some kind of soft rules like a board game, and the "Game" just relies on the player following those rules. If the lego board games were anything to go by, the rules will probably be very loose and encourage players to make up their own variations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

CodfishCartographer posted:

Presumably there's some kind of soft rules like a board game, and the "Game" just relies on the player following those rules. If the lego board games were anything to go by, the rules will probably be very loose and encourage players to make up their own variations.

I saw a clarification that only the Mario figure has the electronic poo poo going on (so presumably the similar priced sets will be different characters?) and the sets themselves just have items Mario can interact with. Hopefully they don't just put the mario in every set and jack up the price (who am I kidding).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

From CNET's write-up:

quote:

The larger-than-minifigure Mario shown in the video has unique sensors inside, plus it has speakers and a screen. "It's a color sensor, so it senses a selection of the Lego color palette," Bennink says, "you can also use your existing brick bins to build levels from it and it reads these action bricks -- that has a little barcode, a color barcode, and the sensor picks that up. Mario has a unique reaction to those bricks: It knows when to start the level and when to finish the level, what's inside a question mark block -- and it gets something out of the block. Different enemies also have the little bricks, so Mario knows if it's a good or bad guy."

The Super Mario sets involve games where players tap bricks to make things happen, racing to earn coins.

It looks like the Lego sets will work like a game, where the Mario figure can be tapped along the coded blocks in different patterns, getting power-ups and earning coin bonuses (or being punished). "With the bricks you build levels and anything you build between the start and finish is basically a level. You play that with Mario from start to finish and you get coins in in a certain amount of time," explains Bennink. "There are different Lego challenges that you could also see in the video that are skill-based, so you have to kind of put the Piranha [plant] exactly into the tube and then the reward pops up and there's a rotator platform. So if you move on that you get coins, but if you fall off you get a little time penalty. So, it's bringing the famous game mechanics from the Mario World to the physical world of Lego play, where kids can build their own world and their own levels and enjoy them."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
i can't believe the lego group would invite bankruptcy by releasing a product that does not appeal to me personally. welp, it was nice while it lasted I guess

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Waltzing Along posted:

What cool rear end mario poo poo?

https://youtu.be/RUt8InhyxAk

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FBS posted:

From CNET's write-up:

Yeah it looks like a pseudo dexterity game. You can see that the Piranha Plant is a little see-saw catapult to try and knock it into the pipe. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of thing where you shoot a cannonball or something similar to knock down enemies, or need to go roll a ball along some kind of maze like the wood marble maze set.

e: basically this, but lego:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UphjKeO8M

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Give me a weird electronic Yoshi figure and I’ll declare the entire line a massive success, LEGO.