Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Sab669 posted:

Google :argh:

It's so hard to swipe up to dismiss an app now

Edit: I misread the quote.
I'm on a pixel 3
I was a firm 3 button user, tried 2 for awhile kinda didn't like it, now I have 0 buttons and like it now.

What gets me is swipe up from the bottom goes to home screen AND slow longer swipe pulls up all apps, sometimes activates the wrong one.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Pixel 4a will get the new Google Assistant. Though I remember Google saying that all Pixels after the Pixel 4 will get it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Excited for when telephoto lens become standard in flagship phones. Was hiking the other day and came across a big lizard and the only way I could snap it without scaring it off was using the fake zoom on my s9 and it looks like poo poo.

At that moment I wished I had an S20ULTRA. Thanks for reading.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The telephoto capabilities of a tiny sphere of glass are always going to be very limited.
A very inexpensive compact P&S with a zoom lens is going to blow the $1200+ smartphone away until we develop a new understanding of physics.

I'll be the first to bet we see a return of "phone slapped on a camera" designs if interest in the S20s zoom capabilities takes off.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I had this same problem. You have to turn off nova launcher (go to the default pixel launcher), long press on an empty part of the home screen, go to settings -> suggestions then untoggle Apps in overview & top of all apps list

It still sometimes does it when I first turn on the phone for a seemingly random amount of time but eventually it goes back to normal
Is there any way to get rid of it if you're using the default pixel launcher? Those app icons and search bar are still in the overview screen even with that setting turned off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just installed a new update on my Pixel 2 and have noticed a button (is it new) when I change my volume that turns on live captions seemingly on a system level. It started showing captions when watching YouTube in picture-in-picture and works when listening to a podcast on PocketCasts.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I just received the new Samsung S20 galaxy and it comes with a preinstalled screen protector. I used it for around 24 hours and today I noticed that there's a faint scratch on either the screen protector or the glass itself. I'm worried it's on the physical display but I don't want to remove the screen protector. Are these preinstalled screen protectors pretty weak to begin with? Maybe it got scratched?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My phone just updated and it's great except the options drawer is white now and oh God it's so bright. Turning on the system dark mode fixes it but makes notifications, calendar, etc dark as well which I also hate. Any way to only blacken that drawer?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

So I just received the new Samsung S20 galaxy and it comes with a preinstalled screen protector. I used it for around 24 hours and today I noticed that there's a faint scratch on either the screen protector or the glass itself. I'm worried it's on the physical display but I don't want to remove the screen protector. Are these preinstalled screen protectors pretty weak to begin with? Maybe it got scratched?

The pre-installed screen protectors are super flimsy plastic garbage that get scratched really easily. If you want a screen protector you're better off removing that and putting on a glass one.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

The pre-installed screen protectors are super flimsy plastic garbage that get scratched really easily. If you want a screen protector you're better off removing that and putting on a glass one.

:hmmyes:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are phone screens getting softer? My OnePlus 3t has never had a screen protector and it doesn't have any visible scratches on the screen but the case is dinged up pretty well from a lot of drops

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I never run with screen protectors, except now with the preinstalled one on my Note. I don't even notice it, and so far it hasn't scratched appreciably.

My P3XL has one scratch on the actual glass, but it's not noticeable unless the light hits it just right.

I don't live in a sandy area, so that could be part of it, too. If I lived on the coast or even West Michigan, where there's a lot more sand, I'd probably use one religiously.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had to rip the screen protector off my s20 ultra because it seemed to catch every bit of fine lint and fuzz in my pocket along the top edge. Got tired of having to wipe it off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the pre-installed one on the S20 ultra is coming off soon since it has already picked up a few noticable blemishes in the past week. I do like that it doesn't feel like a normal rubbery screen protector though.

I usually go without. Yeah, my device may have a few very very very fine microscratches by the time I'm done using it that you can see under a spotlight at the right angle, but I've never found a screen protector I've liked (including the tempered glass ones).

Most of the fine scratches you get on devices aren't in the glass at all but rather the oleophobic coating. The glass has been pretty constant in actual scratch resistance over the past few years.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Got it, so the scratches I see are more than likely on the not so high quality preinstalled screen protector on my S20 then. I'll find a decent screen protector I can put on it but I read that the finger print reader might not work?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Got it, so the scratches I see are more than likely on the not so high quality preinstalled screen protector on my S20 then. I'll find a decent screen protector I can put on it but I read that the finger print reader might not work?
You need to use one that's fully adhered to the screen for the sensor to work after using it, making the $50+ ones the only tempered glass ones that will work.
If it's the same type of protector that came with my Note 10+ it's not a bad one. It's got a low finger resistance like tempered glass and it's got only one small mark on it in my use.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are phone screens getting softer? My OnePlus 3t has never had a screen protector and it doesn't have any visible scratches on the screen but the case is dinged up pretty well from a lot of drops

Depends on the phone. When you make the screen more scratch resistant you make it more brittle so it shatters easier when you drop the phone. It's always a compromise, you can't have drop protection and scratch protection at the same time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

I just installed a new update on my Pixel 2 and have noticed a button (is it new) when I change my volume that turns on live captions seemingly on a system level. It started showing captions when watching YouTube in picture-in-picture and works when listening to a podcast on PocketCasts.

Yeah, this is new. It's Live Caption that was originally in the Pixel 4 but moved to the Pixel 3 in December and the Pixel 2 got it just recently.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Uthor posted:

I just got this too, but I actually got it a few hours before installing the update - looks like it was a server-side switch. I had thought this was going to be a hardware-dependent feature that only worked on pixel4 or newer, but apparently they allowed it on the pixel 2!

I've only used it a tiny bit but I am impressed with its accuracy so far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

I've had that ever since the time they announced it on my 3a.

Google always doing these not-universal roll outs.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've had my Pixel 2 XL for about 2 years ago or so and I'm thinking about a possible upgrade. I'm looking at One Plus 7T and the Note 10+. Any suggestions? I watch ALOT of YouTube/streaming stuff and listen to podcasts. Price, Screen quality and battery matters. I'm not keen on paying so much for the note unless it's really that much better than the 7T. Also how have the Pixels been doing? I heard less than good things. I don't mind going with the new Pixel if it tops those two.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RBX posted:

I've had my Pixel 2 XL for about 2 years ago or so and I'm thinking about a possible upgrade. I'm looking at One Plus 7T and the Note 10+. Any suggestions? I watch ALOT of YouTube/streaming stuff and listen to podcasts. Price, Screen quality and battery matters. I'm not keen on paying so much for the note unless it's really that much better than the 7T. Also how have the Pixels been doing? I heard less than good things. I don't mind going with the new Pixel if it tops those two.

I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. I'm waiting to see what the Pixel 4a has in store before making a choice on that, a 4 XL, or a 5 XL.

If battery matters, the Pixel a line has had stellar battery due to the mid-range SoC and screen of 1080p isn't that bad, especially with the battery lasting as it does.

Looking back on this page, the Snapdragon 730 will be just as good as the SoC in the Pixel 2 except a little worse with gaming. If you don't game, you'll be okay.

The only game I really play is Pokemon Go and if it can run that fine, then I'm good.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Nubia Red Magic 5G comes with (up to) 16GB of ram:

https://www.xda-developers.com/nubia-red-magic-5g-144hz-display-active-cooling-fan/

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions on a backup and restore app that actually migrates all your apps and app settings over? Trying out the S20 Ultra from a Pixel 4 XL and Smart Switch is kind of garbage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the Pixel 4a will get UFS 2.1 storage which is a big upgrade over the eMMC of the 3a.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/13/pixel-4a-will-get-a-big-time-upgrade-in-storage-performance/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/13/pixel-5-lineup-might-not-be-the-high-end-phones-youd-expect/

Looks like the Pixel 5 and 5 XL will be bramble and redfin. This means they'd use the mid-range Snapdragon 765G and will both possibly have telephoto lenses.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ardlen posted:

Is there any way to get rid of it if you're using the default pixel launcher? Those app icons and search bar are still in the overview screen even with that setting turned off.

No idea, sorry. I highly recommend the nova launcher though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://9to5google.com/2020/03/12/google-camera-7-4-telephoto-pixel-4a-4k-60fps/

The Pixel 4a might get a telephoto lens and be able to do 4K/60FPS recording.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/13/pixel-5-lineup-might-not-be-the-high-end-phones-youd-expect/

Looks like the Pixel 5 and 5 XL will be bramble and redfin. This means they'd use the mid-range Snapdragon 765G and will both possibly have telephoto lenses.

Just.... give the non-XL model a good battery..... please........

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Fawf posted:

Just.... give the non-XL model a good battery..... please........

Yeah that's my biggest concern. I'd love to get my mom a 4a to replace her Pixel 2 since she's destroyed the battery and given it some insane burn in. But if there battery is small... I don't want to get her the rumored OnePlus 8 Lite because as much as I trust myself to figure out any random OP bullshit, I don't want her to have to. I guess whatever new Samsung A series comes out is an option, but I'd love to keep it stock Android

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung crap is more likely to confuse her coming from a Pixel than OnePlus.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah there isn't really any OnePlus stuff I can think of that would be confusing for a Pixel user. Samsung having two or three versions of every app confuses even me sometimes.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm talking more diagnosing random stuff that may go wrong. I personally haven't had problems with my 7T but I know in the past certain OP phones had weird issues

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only weird thing I've had go wrong with my OP7P was that it couldn't connect to Gogo inflight WiFi after updating to Android 10.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just an FYI for S9 owners, if you upgrade to Android 10 / One UI 2, I believe there is no working GCam for Snapdragon variants, only the Exynos one, which is really loving annoying! (Good thing I haven't updated lol)

If I'm wrong, would love a link to a working GCam for the One UI 2 update.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ThermoPhysical posted:

Watch it be no less expensive than usual despite this.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So I got the S20 Ultra and it's amazing in terms of performance and battery life, but too loving gigantic and heavy for me coming from the Pixel 4 XL. Is the step down to the S20 Plus really that noticeable? I don't really care about 100X zoom, but camera quality for restaurant photography is important to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For my next entry on Samsung software commentary, we take a look at something that SHOULD be included by default, but they chose to shove to an external app.

Theme Park.

The app, from a design standpoint, sucks. There's no easy way to edit past themes. They force you to name them, but then don't care if you name everything the same. The app navigation is just bizarre with the splash screen being a jumping off point with a new theme button, a button that looks like "history" but it loads up the screen to configure the theme based on your current wallpaper, nearly the same way you would do if you created a new theme (which also lets you choose from the Gallery.) Also on the splash screen is a 3 dots menu that will take you to "My Themes" which shows you all the ones you saved before. Oh, even though the 3 button menu was called "My Themes" the header that it then takes you to is "My Stuff" for whatever reason. If you hit back on that screen it will exit the app instead of taking you back to the splash screen. You have to use the back arrow at the "My Stuff" header to go back to the Splash/Menu.

So, app is an absolute trainwreck and Samsung should be embarrassed to publish something that's clearly an intern project under their own account on their own store.

But the core functionality is good. It's a good way to sidestep the fact that you can't easily change the color scheme of the phone without applying a theme. This takes a look at the wallpaper, gets some accent colors, and makes suggestions of a color scheme so you can build a theme using that and your current wallpaper.

So, why in the unholy hell is this not built in functionality with all the other crap that they include in OneUI? Just make an accent color toggle, Default/Adaptive. Adaptive changes the color scheme to match with your wallpaper and possibly gives you a few different schemes to choose from. Then, if I leave it at adaptive, every time I change my wallpaper I get a complementary color scheme with no extra steps. These are just strange choices. They could include something actually useful that would make things unique from stock Android, but instead let's require a separate app with a lovely workflow to do it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 15, 2020

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

space marine todd posted:

So I got the S20 Ultra and it's amazing in terms of performance and battery life, but too loving gigantic and heavy for me coming from the Pixel 4 XL. Is the step down to the S20 Plus really that noticeable? I don't really care about 100X zoom, but camera quality for restaurant photography is important to me.

Yeah the s20+ is what you want. gently caress heavy rear end phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got the latest update on the Pixel 3. I mostly notice this in the Awful app, but it's happened in others - when I click on a link that opens in a browser and then switch back, the original app freezes for a few seconds before I can do anything.