Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

In before they make it so the most expensive ships have like "auto nutrient beams" or some poo poo that provide for you meaning that eating/survival mechanics is for plebs only.

no that's going to be the exclusive feature of a new "mess hall ship". new money only obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

--Shoulda researched more about the game before you bought into then, not the devs' fault.

--FUCKER, I've been here since the start. My research is the god drat words out of Chris Roberts mouth. Do yours.

--You're going to loose your poo poo once they add the requirements to use toilets and requirements for hygiene of your character, with that affecting how NPCs react to you.

You should calm down, take a breather, stop over-reacting, and stop acting like a prepubescent child.

--Oh cry some more. It has been practically expected to be mandatory, and the devs have even said so numerous times.

It is required, but it isn't intrusive, and is supposed to follow what you'd expect from a person, aka, "several real life hours" translating to "several in-universe days".

--Chris himself said otherwise YEARS ago. I have every right to be pissed that he loving flat out lied.

--"Oh no, what was said years ago has been changed, and we've been told this already, but it totally ruins everything and it is totally lying even though we've already been well-aware of the fact that plans will change".

Cry all you want, this isn't something to change. Especially not if all you do is throw tantrums because you need to eat a snack bar every now and then, in a game that's filled with downtime.

You're going to loose your poo poo once we need to shower and use toilets lol.

--CIG shoveled you horse poo poo, and you grab a spoon.

The sandworm has turned

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Mothman is deep cover goon alt account confirmed.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

Meanwhile, on Twitter:

"Is eating one time out of a 7hr play session really that bad? Plus maybe cooking can be a profession now lol"

"Once they added toilets I knew this was going to be a thing also now the mess halls will actually get used for something. I'm not mad at all."

"I just wonder if those removed toilets from some ships will become a real issue. Alot of people were upset when they were removed for this reason."

"I'm with you on this one.
I don't really see it as that big of a deal.

Can't understand why people are setting their baskets on fire over this. We haven't even tried it, yet.
Keep your lighters in your pockets just a little longer. Try it 1st, then decide if fire is the answer."

:lol:

This is what Citizens have been asking for, all of the tediousness of real life shoved into a space game about flying spaceships. Well here it is fuckers! Remember when Chris talked about modeling the whole digestive process? Well there’s a reason that bathrooms are a big selling point on the large whale ships. Have fun hosing out the poo poo from your space suit every time you land your single seat peasant fighter!

Of course in their dreams all of that is “realism” and fidelity” that pushes Star Citizen towards being their video game forever home life simulator. But in reality it all has to be systematized in an actual video game, which invariably means babysitting a bunch of meters. In the case of Star Citizen it’s even worse because the whole game is an utterly broken Crysis Mod that will randomly decide that you’re in the vacuum of space and need to immediately die the second you wake up in your wankpod. So it will just devolve into a bigger mess of random deaths the more of this poo poo they add into the game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 12, 2020

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Went to poop in toilet. Turd stuck to face. Can't use mobiglass. help

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Waiting for the first bug report of someone sitting on the shitter and flushing themselves out into space

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Realistic.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The mental gymnastics are now in full swing.

Apparently its not turnining into a survival game because you don't start out with nothing on a planet but a pair of trousers and you have to build up everthing.

Well, of course not, because you've paid $$$$ for loads of stuff already. If you start out with just a starter pack though, you do start out with almost nothing. Just a poo poo ship that isn't useful for doing much.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dr. Honked posted:

Went to poop in toilet. Turd stuck to face. Can't use mobiglass. help

:emptyquote:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

The sandworm has turned

Indeed. He's now being fed the same poo poo he used to feed people who were critical.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

"Unpopular opinion: This community is willing to eat whatever pile of horseshit CIG shovels them, and pay $100 dollars for the loving spoon. Prove me wrong. "

Posted by Mothman. Removed by moderators.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does Lesnick's toilet come with LTI?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, but it's the lifetime of the toilet; a lot shorter with Ben sitting on it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rude!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Survival gameplay is a good thing and required to make use of the vast distance between celestial bodies and on the surfaces of moons and planets. Food and drink are engaging and fun things. Only in games where they are animated with low quality, they "get in the way". That's where the "I don't want to have eat every 5 microseconds!" trope comes from. If something is well-animated, it will be fun.

If a feature is animated right, it will be fun on its own.

I think CIG is going to animate food animations to a very high standard so it will be fun to interact with food/drink. And it's that extra layer of managing your supplies that adds depth to playing the game. When a player flies to a planet or moon, he has to watch out for his ship's condition, his suit, and his character.

That's what gameplay will be about, your decisions etching themselves into your ship, your suit, your character. All your epic plays and stupid mistakes.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Slur Citizen: Star Citizen Is Slowly Becoming Everything I Hate About Gaming

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Can't wait for the Star Citizen dubstep MLG eating montages.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I really hope CIG renews Rexshilla's contact after they implement this stuff because watching him herd his nerdlings like a bunch of toddlers on a day trip would be hilarious.

"Ok, did everybody go potty? Last chance to potty before the battle. Billy, finish your snack or you'll be too tired to fight later."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Yes, but it's the lifetime of the toilet; a lot shorter with Ben sitting on it.

One thing is for certain, pledged for two now you only get one seat.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I really hope CIG renews Rexshilla's contact after they implement this stuff because watching him herd his nerdlings like a bunch of toddlers on a day trip would be hilarious.

"Ok, did everybody go potty? Last chance to potty before the battle. Billy, finish your snack or you'll be too tired to fight later."

I read that in Rexshilla's shouting voice and it was great~ :five:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I like this one:

quote:

We are at a point where you can pull multiple statements from different years and they will all contradict each other

Yes dear backer. Some of us figured this one out like 6 years ago.

Development so open that the game can be anything you want it to be, as long as it isn't actually implemented.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
They should introduce an eating mini game where if you don't cut your space steak right you choke on it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The backers are getting antsy, time for a Polygon Fluff article.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who beat Subnautica without the survival bars? Sure, the tech tree for food ends up useless but you shave an hour or two off your playtime better spent stalking the CIG thread.

I did, I loving hate timer pressure that adds nothing substantive. Oxygen, sure- that's a legitimate mechanic to tether you and keep things feeling dangerous. But food/drink timers are just "Ravenous black hole simulator" where your character can't go an hour without cramming more fish down their gullet than an emperor penguin getting ready for mating season.

In that sense I totally get why Citizens are angry- food/drink bars in games aren't immersive, they're loving stupid and force you to waste time doing boring things in order to bank up for the fun part of the game. Triply awful in a game where your inventory's still going to be reset every time you log off.

On the other hand, gently caress Citizens, they should be content to get anything at all out of this stupid company

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

The Super-Id posted:

They should introduce an eating mini game where if you don't cut your space steak right you choke on it.

Also if your knife is dirty you'll die. Must have more fidelity

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Love to RP a big tough fighter pilot who dies in mid-combat because he forgot to go poop before battle.

In the long-ago, the before times, when men took to the skies in nothing but wood and canvas and jousted with hand-held machine guns like true knights of the aethereal, the most common cause of death was to just poo poo yourself inside out and then keel over. The Native Americans, who still existed back then, used to look up at these plummeting turd comets and shed a single tear, saying "The Earth has had her revenge."

Anyway, what was this game about again

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The redit commandos are awesome, they will poo poo their pants defending the game against anyone for years and years but as soon as their personal garden fairy is screwed up they instantly get all GOOD DAY SIR!!! about it :lol:
The cool thing is, over time this will happen to them all as Chris's absolutely dire 'vision' gets put in game, bit by bit.
Boo hoo I don't want a survival game, ohhh nooooooooo :laugh:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

The real kicker is that all of this is being generated off of one brief answer in a spontaneous AMA. I suspect they will never do another one of those again since emotionally the community can’t handle hearing a potential change. Perhaps that’s why they aren’t that transparent any more.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay. So. A couple of questions.

Does the survival and food meter still deplete while taking part in the supposed main focus of this game, which would be loving flying in space? The one part they still have yet to nail down? Maybe crawl before you walk on this one?

Two, okay so let's say that you gotta have at least something in your system every 7 hours. Real time or sped up? Let's say it's every hour. Can this loving game even have a play session lasting longer than an hour? Or is it one of those "when it leaves alpha it will!"?

Three, if you die a sudden horrible death due to the physics engine, does this meter reset? If so, would it be easier to just die than to feed yourself?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Does the survival and food meter still deplete while taking part in the supposed main focus of this game, which would be loving flying in space? The one part they still have yet to nail down? Maybe crawl before you walk on this one?

Two, okay so let's say that you gotta have at least something in your system every 7 hours. Real time or sped up? Let's say it's every hour. Can this loving game even have a play session lasting longer than an hour? Or is it one of those "when it leaves alpha it will!"?

Three, if you die a sudden horrible death due to the physics engine, does this meter reset? If so, would it be easier to just die than to feed yourself?

Answer to all of those:

Nobody knows, lol.

Also you just thought about survival aspect of the game more than SC development team, congratulations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

Does the survival and food meter still deplete while taking part in the supposed main focus of this game, which would be loving flying in space
? The one part they still have yet to nail down? Maybe crawl before you walk on this one?/
yes

Fargin Icehole posted:

certainly going to be real time, there's no "game universe time" concept in atm. my uneducated guess is that it'll be eating a snackbar or some poo poo every 30mins - 1h or an expensive "meal" less frequently

Fargin Icehole posted:

very likely

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fargin Icehole posted:

Your problem here is that you've incorrectly assumed that the flying in space is the main part of the game.

The REAL main part of the game is collecting a steady paycheck and placating your moron boss who is just desperate for some easy mechanics to point to and say "See it's a fully fledged product now."

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Peering inside my character's slowly masticating mouth to determine whether I'm having fun.

"Hmm, not enough saliva, but the PBR on those molars is next gen."

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
I hope the Coronavirus spares me long enough to see Joe Blobers ask for a refund.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

The real kicker is that all of this is being generated off of one brief answer in a spontaneous AMA

I'm sure it can all be smoothed over by a smug looking Lando explaining that it isn't what people think and its all going to be good, and by the way, here is a new ship sale.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Something else to worry about...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51836206

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:: "Food/Drink/Oxygen/etc. are REQUIRED for a fun exploration gameplay loop."

: "Have an extra vote.

I mean. If we ever want to experience the true colonization of a distance newly discovered world, then this has to be a part of it. Otherwise, whats the point?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Dementropy posted:

I mean. If we ever want to experience the true colonization of a distance newly discovered world, then this has to be a part of it. Otherwise, whats the point?

Just like we need to wait the real world equivalent of travel time to a newly discovered planet for the game to be released. The fidelity is unending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

The Super-Id posted:

Just like we need to wait the real world equivalent of travel time to a newly discovered planet for the game to be released. The fidelity is unending.

Just nip off to the kitchen while you wait.