Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
You gotta get up to the Intel 10XXX processors before the iGPU gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

CFox posted:

You gotta get up to the Intel 10XXX processors before the iGPU gets better.

Not just any 10xxx either, ice lake has the good igpu. Look for the "G7" suffix.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KracKiwi posted:

So it looks like my employer might be asking us to work from home soon. Can anyone suggest a Windows 10 Pro laptop that would only be used to remote into my office computer? No work would be done on the laptop itself. I would also likely hook it up to an external monitor and keyboard.

Would the HP Stream 11 + Win 10 Pro be a good choice?

With external keyboard and mouse a laptop wouldn't seem to give much benefit. Any performance isn't needed either. Something like this refurb Optiplex USFF could provide a nice, compact computer.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Looking for a laptop to use to download itunes, and manage files that might contain viruses and move music to an ipod. Under $250

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

fyallm posted:

Looking for a laptop to use to download itunes, and manage files that might contain viruses and move music to an ipod. Under $250

Best laptop for you my friend:
https://tinyurl.com/uwrmvxg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I need a laptop suggestion too. But first I want to thank this thread for being amazing, I lurked this thread several years ago and it helped me pick out a perfect one that's done well until, well, recently so it's time for me to get a new one. But it's been enough years now that I'm a again totally out of the loop on what's what.

There's actually not too many things I'll be using this for, I guess I'm looking for an all-rounder but the main thing is it needs to run Adobe Illustrator pretty well. I'll also be using it to play games/roms but probably nothing more recent than like 2005. I can drop about $700 on this, is it possible? Port/drive-wise I just need USB and any kind of video out for a second monitor, I have/can get whatever adapters.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fyallm posted:

Perhaps this or this?

Neo Rasa posted:

I need a laptop suggestion too. But first I want to thank this thread for being amazing, I lurked this thread several years ago and it helped me pick out a perfect one that's done well until, well, recently so it's time for me to get a new one. But it's been enough years now that I'm a again totally out of the loop on what's what.

There's actually not too many things I'll be using this for, I guess I'm looking for an all-rounder but the main thing is it needs to run Adobe Illustrator pretty well. I'll also be using it to play games/roms but probably nothing more recent than like 2005. I can drop about $700 on this, is it possible? Port/drive-wise I just need USB and any kind of video out for a second monitor, I have/can get whatever adapters.

That's totally doable under your budget. I'm not 100% sure what it takes to run Illustrator well enough and what ~15-year-old games you have in mind, but here are some possibilities:

Entry-level, dual-core, AMD APU. I have this one, it needs a RAM upgrade but offers good CPU & GPU performance for the price, and it may or may not work for your use-case.
Solid dual-core CPU, Intel iGPU.
Quad-core CPU, better GPU than in the first Acer.
Entry-level nVidia dGPU.
The Amazon "suggested" entry-level gaming laptop. Probably overkill for what you're asking, but at this point there are plenty of similar options, especially if you're willing to go used/refurb'd and look on eBay as well.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atomizer posted:

The Amazon "suggested" entry-level gaming laptop. Probably overkill for what you're asking, but at this point there are plenty of similar options, especially if you're willing to go used/refurb'd and look on eBay as well.

Are there non-obvious drawbacks to this? Like do ASUS make bad laptops or something, because this might be the kind of thing I go for. I see you can get a version of it (on the uk amazon anyway) with the gtx 1060 for Ŗ850 which is a good chunk less than i've seen for other makes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fyallm posted:

I'm about to list a Lenovo T450S for a little less than that in SA Mart, PM me if you want more info

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart/ refurbished laptops on sale on eBay via VIP outlet. Take an additional 15% off the listed price.
VIP Outlet is a big refurbisher and all laptops have a 90 day return policy.

Overpowered 15" gaming laptop for $590
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113852696233

15.6 144Hz Screen
Intel i7-8750H CPU with 2.20 GHz speed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB VRAM
Mechanical RGB LED Keyboard
16GB RAM with 2667 MHz speed
1TB HDD
256GB SSD
Windows 10
1080p/ 144Hz Display Panel
1x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB C
1x SD Card Slot
1x HDMI Slot

Motile 14" budget laptop for $244
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motile-M142-BK-14-FHD-Ryzen-5-3500U-2-1GHz-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Win-10-Home-Black/114035436630
AMD Ryzen 5 Processor
14" 1920x1080 Display
8GB Memory
256GB Solid State Drive
Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
Windows 10
Ports
2x USB 3.0
1x USB 2.0
1x HDMI
1x USB Type-C
1x Audio Combo Jack
Weight: 2.55 lbs

They have the Ryzen 3/4gb version for slightly cheaper at $195 but I wouldn't recommend it

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 13, 2020

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I find myself in a situation where I need to get a new laptop quickly for business mostly, but also general personal use. No need to do any intensive gaming but I still want something snappy and well built.

I tried to catch up on this thread and saw that T480s are decent. Is this a good deal, even though it’s 8th gen? CAD dollars.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX74460

Thank you

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
Why not something like this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F114147752250

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Doesn't ship to Canada

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

large_gourd posted:

Are there non-obvious drawbacks to this? Like do ASUS make bad laptops or something, because this might be the kind of thing I go for. I see you can get a version of it (on the uk amazon anyway) with the gtx 1060 for Ŗ850 which is a good chunk less than i've seen for other makes.

Some laptop manufacturers/resellers have a reputation for (or against) quality, customer service/warranty process, etc. A lot of it is YMMV however (e.g. some people have a good experience with Razer products and vice-versa.) It can even vary within a single brand (e.g. Lenovo Thinkpads are more highly regarded than the consumer Ideapads.)

In this case, I don't think Asus has one of the larger volumes of laptop sales and as such they don't come up as often as say Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc. There's nothing glaringly wrong with that model, and a system with a 1060 for under the equivalent of US$1k (at least based on what I'm used to in the US market) should offer good performance for the money. The OP laptop listed by FCKGW, for example, is a ridiculously good deal if it's still available for ~$600.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Some laptop manufacturers/resellers have a reputation for (or against) quality, customer service/warranty process, etc. A lot of it is YMMV however (e.g. some people have a good experience with Razer products and vice-versa.) It can even vary within a single brand (e.g. Lenovo Thinkpads are more highly regarded than the consumer Ideapads.)

In this case, I don't think Asus has one of the larger volumes of laptop sales and as such they don't come up as often as say Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc. There's nothing glaringly wrong with that model, and a system with a 1060 for under the equivalent of US$1k (at least based on what I'm used to in the US market) should offer good performance for the money. The OP laptop listed by FCKGW, for example, is a ridiculously good deal if it's still available for ~$600.

I had a horrible ASUS RMA experience (it was sent back for a fan bearing replacement) where someone at their warranty place went into my email accounts (I didn't wipe the laptop before sending it), tried to reach out to contacts on my various messaging apps to get answers to account recovery questions, etc. I had no other computer at the time and the IP addresses that Gmail reported accessing my accounts was the same area as the RMA address. It was a massive headache and ASUS outright refused to acknowledge that anything had happened at all and I could never get on the phone with someone there to talk about it. Noone returned emails or phone calls, I basically had to reset a ton of account stuff on everything from my bank accounts to school emails to gaming profiiles.

I ended up having to send the laptop in 2 other times (wiped this time, learned my lesson) for GPU/OS conflicts resulting in artifacting with every alt-tab from a game that was never actually resolved, they claimed they couldn't reproduce the error even with instructions to just open the only program on the desktop and then alt-tab.

I'll never buy an ASUS product again if I can get away with it.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Tenacious J posted:

I find myself in a situation where I need to get a new laptop quickly for business mostly, but also general personal use. No need to do any intensive gaming but I still want something snappy and well built.

I tried to catch up on this thread and saw that T480s are decent. Is this a good deal, even though it’s 8th gen? CAD dollars.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX74460

Thank you

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Doesn't ship to Canada
Oh didn’t see that. Maybe this one then?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F324082552794

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I had a horrible ASUS RMA experience (it was sent back for a fan bearing replacement) where someone at their warranty place went into my email accounts (I didn't wipe the laptop before sending it), tried to reach out to contacts on my various messaging apps to get answers to account recovery questions, etc. I had no other computer at the time and the IP addresses that Gmail reported accessing my accounts was the same area as the RMA address. It was a massive headache and ASUS outright refused to acknowledge that anything had happened at all and I could never get on the phone with someone there to talk about it. Noone returned emails or phone calls, I basically had to reset a ton of account stuff on everything from my bank accounts to school emails to gaming profiiles.

I ended up having to send the laptop in 2 other times (wiped this time, learned my lesson) for GPU/OS conflicts resulting in artifacting with every alt-tab from a game that was never actually resolved, they claimed they couldn't reproduce the error even with instructions to just open the only program on the desktop and then alt-tab.

I'll never buy an ASUS product again if I can get away with it.

Well that sounds like a bad actor rather than anything dictated by Asus policies & procedures. And you definitely need to restrict access to your accounts including by wiping or removing system drives when appropriate, although you should certainly expect a level of professionalism in the first place.

As far as the actual hardware issues go, those are going to be model-specific and you shouldn't expect the same experience from every other laptop with the same brand. Also, some of those same components are of course used in laptops sold by other manufacturers, etc.

My own apprehension is towards Toshiba, except it goes back waaayyy longer than you'd think (and also I don't think they make consumer laptops anymore.) I had some hand-me down 386/486 laptops in the mid-'90s, and then constantly locked up, perhaps due to overheating. Obviously we're many generations removed from that hardware, although I did have a couple of unreliable Toshiba Qosmio media-center laptops in the mid-2000s as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I had a horrible ASUS RMA experience (it was sent back for a fan bearing replacement) where someone at their warranty place went into my email accounts (I didn't wipe the laptop before sending it), tried to reach out to contacts on my various messaging apps to get answers to account recovery questions, etc.

This is on par with taking your wallet out of your pocket and putting it on the floor of Grand Central station, then walking home and not expecting someone to pick up your wallet and try and steal your identity/use your credit cards

Yes it's technically illegal for someone to use what's in your wallet for illegal purposes, but if you knowingly do that, nobody's gonna stand up and say it's not your fault. You're being a huge loving dumb rear end and you deserve what you got.

Always wipe your drive before giving a stranger unlimited physical access to your laptop

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

This is on par with taking your wallet out of your pocket and putting it on the floor of Grand Central station, then walking home and not expecting someone to pick up your wallet and try and steal your identity/use your credit cards

Yes it's technically illegal for someone to use what's in your wallet for illegal purposes, but if you knowingly do that, nobody's gonna stand up and say it's not your fault. You're being a huge loving dumb rear end and you deserve what you got.

Always wipe your drive before giving a stranger unlimited physical access to your laptop

Figured they wouldn't even boot it up to change an exhaust fan besides to see how it'd run. Oops!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably one guy unpacks them, another guy puts them on a rack and see if they even boot up (they want a picture that it arrived dead and unable to boot in case the customer claims it was working when they sent it in), another guy to take it to the relevant work station, the actual workstation technician, the guy who takes it back and photographs it booting again, the guy that takes it from the rack and repackages it

Like 10 people probably touched your laptop, plus the janitors at night who already uploaded the naked pics of your ex girlfriend to six different websites

lmao

edit: that's even assuming they have a central warranty location. there's a good chance there's 4-5 independent contractors who just take home 200+ laptops and fix them in their home and then return big batches to the warehouse to ship back to the customer

never ever send an unencrypted drive to someone who has unlimited physical access to your machine, otherwise just assume 100% of that information has already been uploaded to the internet

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 15, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Atomizer posted:

That's totally doable under your budget. I'm not 100% sure what it takes to run Illustrator well enough and what ~15-year-old games you have in mind, but here are some possibilities:

FCKGW posted:

Walmart/ refurbished laptops on sale on eBay via VIP outlet. Take an additional 15% off the listed price.
VIP Outlet is a big refurbisher and all laptops have a 90 day return policy.
:
Thank you both, one of these will be perfect! :hfive:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Atomizer posted:

Well that sounds like a bad actor rather than anything dictated by Asus policies & procedures. And you definitely need to restrict access to your accounts including by wiping or removing system drives when appropriate, although you should certainly expect a level of professionalism in the first place.

With all due respect, this is a profoundly lovely take. Even if it was a "bad actor", the company is still liable and responsible for it, and they refused to even acknowledge anything happened despite clear evidence to the contrary. If it was worth spending the time and money to hold them accountable, you'd get a guaranteed settlement out of this.

In general, try to use local repair shops and don't assume that any warranty on any cheap computer is worth anything. And, in general, don't be an apologist for corporate malfeasance.

that said, this is also extremely, extremely true:

Hadlock posted:

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I'm debating between getting a T480 or a Latitude 7490. Based on these reviews:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-latitude-7490

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t480

To me, the main drawback of the T480 is that its display is less colorful (and slightly less bright). The computer will be used for some casual gaming. It's hard for me to visualize how much of a difference in color there actually is. All things being equal, I think I would prefer the T480 if the display isn't too bad, but would otherwise go for the 7490 if it's a big improvement. Has anyone seen them side by side or have an opinion on the matter?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

moosferatu posted:

I'm debating between getting a T480 or a Latitude 7490. Based on these reviews:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-latitude-7490

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t480

To me, the main drawback of the T480 is that its display is less colorful (and slightly less bright). The computer will be used for some casual gaming. It's hard for me to visualize how much of a difference in color there actually is. All things being equal, I think I would prefer the T480 if the display isn't too bad, but would otherwise go for the 7490 if it's a big improvement. Has anyone seen them side by side or have an opinion on the matter?

Honestly, between those two there aren't much difference in screen quality. The XPS 13 or XPS 15 have great screens but the 7490 is 'average' like the T-series screen is. Not bad, just not that bright or amazing when it comes to colors. But miles ahead of their old TN screens (like the old non-IPS 1366x768 and 1600x900 models)

The best ThinkPad screen is the 14" WQHD (2560 x 1440) option. Get that.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 15, 2020

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Bob Morales posted:

Honestly, between those two there aren't much difference in screen quality. The XPS 13 or XPS 15 have great screens but the 7490 is 'average' like the T-series screen is. Not bad, just not that bright or amazing when it comes to colors. But miles ahead of their old TN screens (like the old non-IPS 1366x768 and 1600x900 models)

The best ThinkPad screen is the 14" WQHD (2560 x 1440) option. Get that.

Thanks!

I am planning on running linux on it, so, unfortunately, WQHD is out because linux HiDPI support seems to still be wanting. :(

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

With all due respect, this is a profoundly lovely take. Even if it was a "bad actor", the company is still liable and responsible for it, and they refused to even acknowledge anything happened despite clear evidence to the contrary. If it was worth spending the time and money to hold them accountable, you'd get a guaranteed settlement out of this.

This again brought in my mind the question, how is one supposed to survive in a modern world if they are not an IT professional or enthusiast. We can't really expect average people to be aware of this problem. And even if they would consider it they don't have the knowhow to wipe their drives, not to mention how to wipe the drives without losing all their data. Same happened yesterday in the Firefox thread when someone asked why Adblock Plus was so bad at blocking ads and me and everyone were facepalming how there are still people who don't you needed to get rid of that extension years ago.

If one were to compile a book of everything you might need to know with computers, what kind of tome would it be.

At least with cars the problem is smaller, but even with them things are so much better if you can handle things yourself. My car had throttle body problems and it took over a month and 900€ for the dealership to wait for a replacement part and swap. Next time it happened I spent few hours for internet investigation and work, and 5€ for throttle body cleaner spray to fix it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saukkis posted:

if they don't have the know-how to wipe their drives, not to mention how to wipe the drives without losing all their data.

If one were to compile a book of everything you might need to know with computers, what kind of tome would it be.

Apple and Chromebook have pretty easy "power wash" functions now. Windows has something similar under "return my computer to it's factory settings"

The book of everything, chapter 1 would be:

Get an external USB backup hard drive and install the software that comes with it, and have it backup your My Documents and Pictures folders

I dunno what chapters 2-10 would be, that is 95% of maintaining a computer.

Flowchart for fixing computers:

code:
Is your computer broken NO  -> don't do anything
                        YES -> backup documents,power wash laptop, reinstall chrome, copy documents back to laptop

Does your computer have a virus NO  -> don't do anything
                                YES -> backup documents,power wash laptop, reinstall chrome, copy documents back to laptop

Does your computer have any problems NO  -> don't do anything

Is your computer running slow NO  -> don't do anything
I recommend a website, https://www.ninite.com , for quickly downloading and installing 99.99% of typical utilities you're gonna use

This is the link to the installer with my check-boxes checked, you can create your own obviously: https://ninite.com/7zip-chrome-essentials-gimp-googleearth-keepass2-openoffice-putty-python-steam-vlc-vscode-windirstat-winscp/ninite.exe

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 15, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Saukkis posted:

At least with cars the problem is smaller, but even with them things are so much better if you can handle things yourself. My car had throttle body problems and it took over a month and 900€ for the dealership to wait for a replacement part and swap. Next time it happened I spent few hours for internet investigation and work, and 5€ for throttle body cleaner spray to fix it.

Sadly, it's a problem that's infecting the car industry as well. There's a guy who rebuilt a salvage title Tesla on Youtube, and the company wouldn't allow it on their network, or sell him parts, or even let him buy a replacement key.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sadly, it's a problem that's infecting the car industry as well. There's a guy who rebuilt a salvage title Tesla on Youtube, and the company wouldn't allow it on their network, or sell him parts, or even let him buy a replacement key.
Hopefully EU "Right to Repair" laws will be extended to make that sort of bullshit illegal.

Not letting him on the network might be fair, but refusing to sell parts to individuals is crap.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

In general, try to use local repair shops and don't assume that any warranty on any cheap computer is worth anything. And, in general, don't be an apologist for corporate malfeasance.

that said, this is also extremely, extremely true:

That's absolutely an individual bad actor, and the company should indeed take responsibility for it, but actually proving it was one of their employees/contractors rather than someone else is the challenge; it's entirely possible to have your system compromised remotely, so they have plausible deniability on their side, unfortunately. You kind of shouldn't have to wipe your system drive, but then again you're responsible for the security of your own data, so compare it to someone leaving a sticky note with their login credentials under their desk; you "should" be able to trust other people not to use someone else's account, but this is the real world and you need to safeguard your own things.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So I want to buy a new laptop, the OP is from 2013 and I absolutely cannot fathom being bothered to read a thread or do research on my own since the apocalypse is upon us and I only have 4 bottles of liquor left. My 2015 Macbook Pro is now giving me kernel panics when I try to do fun stuff with it, and I find the awful design decisions that Apple is making with removing F-keys absolutely abhorrent so I will not consider buying Apple anymore.

Here's my desperate plea for advice:

1) I need an NVIDIAŽ GPU because I'm a nerd AI developer and deep learning engines all use CUDA bindings instead of OpenGL. With that in mind, how high up on the GPU scale do I need to go in order to do AR/VR development? It seems like the GTX 1660 Ti performs about as well on Passmark as the RTX 2060 Max Q+, is there a reason to go higher than 1660 Ti?

2) It seems like MSI laptops are $500 cheaper than equivalent Alienware for the same hardware specs. Is there a reason for that? Which manufacturer has highest build quality?

3) It sounds like AMD Ryzen now has an edge over everything but the top of the line i9's, is that accurate? Is it worth paying a premium?

tl;dr what's the top of the line for VR development without spending hundreds on soon-to-be-obsolete poo poo that I don't need

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The OP is continuously updated

Oculus Quest has a very specific list of GPU they are compatible with. Anything not on that list won't work. Quest is the market leader so you will want to pay attention to that.

Gaming laptop durability varies wildly. Good luck.

The 20-series GPU have more VR specific stuff that you will want than the 16-series

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Flipperwaldt posted:

Laptops can drive screens in a resolution higher than what their built-in screen has no problem. When the scaling matches and the resolution matches, layout should be identical.
Thank you again, it got here and I set it up and everything is perfect. Makes my wfh so much easier

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

2) It seems like MSI laptops are $500 cheaper than equivalent Alienware for the same hardware specs. Is there a reason for that? Which manufacturer has highest build quality?
I've had both brands. My experience was Alienware was reasonably sturdy but had poor heat control, and MSI gave me a bad screen (not IPS), a worse trackpad (lovely drivers and I think also a loose connection), and the casing is physically cracking in multiple places after 2 years even though the machine basically only moves between a bedside table and on me on the bed. Edit: to be clear, the Alienware was still mostly fine after 3 years, was just getting a bit outdated and maybe in need of a heatsink repaste and vent cleaning.

Anecdotal only of course, I might have got the luckiest Alienware and the single worst MSI.

Oh, but also, MSI did a mail in rebate, and didn't honor it (quietly rejected it in their system without telling me, two months after I sent it in) until I hassled them with a BBB complaint *and* still had the box so I could re-send them a picture of the things they claimed I hadn't already sent them, the second one of them because the main ones were literally cut off the box because that was the rules of the rebate. So if your $500 cheaper includes a mail-in rebate, I'd ignore that part of the saving, it's not worth the hassle.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2020

moo5003
Mar 18, 2007
Cow Power!
My sister is starting to work from home and is trying to find a computer for graphic design (budget around $1k to $1.4k). She mostly does 2D art (drawing) and some minor photoshop (very little rendering). Unsure exactly what would be best. So far, the best deal I found was for a Lenovo Yoga: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-900-series/Lenovo-Yoga-C940-15IRH/p/81TE0004US

Any recommendations from those that probably know much more than I? Thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

moo5003 posted:

My sister is starting to work from home and is trying to find a computer for graphic design (budget around $1k to $1.4k). She mostly does 2D art (drawing) and some minor photoshop (very little rendering). Unsure exactly what would be best. So far, the best deal I found was for a Lenovo Yoga: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-900-series/Lenovo-Yoga-C940-15IRH/p/81TE0004US

Any recommendations from those that probably know much more than I? Thanks!

If doing graphic design you want a display with good color reproduction

XPS 13 or XPS 15 have excellent color reproduction/color range compared to just about anything besides an Apple laptop

Don't worry about getting her a touchscreen, for real work she's gonna use some Wacom type tablet thing

Apple just released a new set of laptops today, including a new $999 macbook air - I would look very closely at this

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Any ideas for a (maybe older) laptop with a quality screen? Preferably 14"-15.6" and not super heavy. Not a netbook, not a mac, but I really don't need latest and greatest anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can you be more specific about what you mean by quality screen? Like do you need really accurate colorspace coverage, or high resolution, brightness, IPS screen, high refresh rate, etc?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

To a great extent I mean the qualities that don't always show up in specs, like no backlighting artifacts or strobing. I don't need professional color fidelity or anything, maybe this is a solved problem but the last laptop I purchased I cheaped out and the screen had an aura due to backlighting around the edge, and very strict vertical viewing angles. I'd like a laptop I can enjoy a movie on and comfortably read. I need to be able to do some basic office stuff and run, like, PyCharm, but won't be doing any heavy lifting computationally or playing anything particularly taxing.

1920x1080 minimum, would consider paying more for higher res because it makes reading text less stressful but I assume this would be a big driver of costs. Don't need anything fancy as far as refresh rate, and I can control the room brightness so absolute brightness is less important than even brightness and contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should just looks for a display that says 1080p IPS. A lot of laptops have that and they are good quality with wide viewing angles. Some aren't very bright like on Thinkpads.