Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

bornbytheriver posted:

UCL, for one, does not give a gently caress, forcing all its employees to come to work. Managers are openly belittling staff who are worried about the outbreak. I have considered recording one of them on my phone yesterday and sending it to some news outlet. You have to seek manager's special permission to work remotely and we've been told that if you want to take paid leave you have to book it at least 4 days in advance. No emergency leave is allowed as they clocked that people are scared, and because UCL is yet to send everyone home, staff have started asking for leave en masse.

One of the UCL students from the far East was in the news for being assaulted on Oxford street by a group of crazy people telling him go back home with his virus.

Yesterday, a woman in my open plan office reported that her mother tested positive.

I hate this country.

I’m working at another ~Russell Group uni~ and the response has definitely been better than that and plans are in place for things to poo poo themselves but nothing has actually been enacted. Send people home for fucks sake. My boss is immunocompromised and hasn’t been working from home for three weeks and who knows when they will again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

RockyB posted:

Down 9.7% on the FTSE today. Possibly going to go much, much lower depending on what happens after the American markets re-open (they gave them a 15 minute timeout just after they opened, it got that bad).

Assuming we don't get a rebound, this is officially worse than any day in 2008/9.

It's 2008 but accelerated. The drop then took place over 6 months instead of a fortnight lol

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Jesus, that's pretty bad. I have to imagine that being in London makes the generalized anxiety way worse, since you can't escape being around people. My university is at least prepping people to work from home, even if it's probably going to wait to the absolute last minute to give people permission to do so.

Luckily a few people here do seem to recognize the possibility of things going really south. I just got an email from a collaborator on a project whom I haven't seen for weeks that he's been at home with a bad chest infection that isn't COVID-related, and that he's not going to come onto campus because he's afraid of catching the coronavirus.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Someone went round the office putting up medical advice posters, and of course they say "work from home where possible" so now someone else is going round and taking them all down again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sanford posted:

Someone went round the office putting up medical advice posters, and of course they say "work from home where possible" so now someone else is going round and taking them all down again.

Put them back up and circle the work from home section and do a big smiley face on it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The company I work for isn't loving insane so they just bought a bunch of laptops and I get to work from home for the first time today.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Mr Phillby posted:

The company I work for isn't loving insane so they just bought a bunch of laptops and I get to work from home for the first time today.

In the meeting this morning it was established that all but five staff (out of ~200) are fully equipped to work from home already. Still not doing it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They finally decided to shut my children's school.

2 for 2 so far on today's races at Cheltenham. :toot:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sanford posted:

In the meeting this morning it was established that all but five staff (out of ~200) are fully equipped to work from home already. Still not doing it.

:capitalism:

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Jesus, that's pretty bad. I have to imagine that being in London makes the generalized anxiety way worse, since you can't escape being around people. My university is at least prepping people to work from home, even if it's probably going to wait to the absolute last minute to give people permission to do so.

Luckily a few people here do seem to recognize the possibility of things going really south. I just got an email from a collaborator on a project whom I haven't seen for weeks that he's been at home with a bad chest infection that isn't COVID-related, and that he's not going to come onto campus because he's afraid of catching the coronavirus.

In London you generally accept that you can't avoid shitheads who don't cover their faces as they cough their guts out and sneeze with snot flying out, or defecate right inside the tube carriage at Warren Street because they are too sick/drunk, but people are certainly anxious.

I think that the majority of UCL students are already not attending lectures if they can stay away, plus a fraction of staff are on the UCU strike.

We have another girl on our floor who yesterday I think had enough and broke down. She is from Bergamo, her 91 year old grandma got sick 2 weeks ago, when her family contacted the ambulance they were told the waiting time to send an ambulance to test grandma would be at least 5 days and they were told under no circumstances should the family attempt bringing grandma to the local hospital as they had zero capacity, so her mom had to stay with grandma who had difficulties breathing. Now both grandma and mom have covid-19. Mom, who was scared to infect the rest of the family, had to move out of the family home to permanently to stay with grandma. My colleague is desperately worried and wants to go home. Thank goodness the flights are cancelled because she kept saying I don't care, I just want to be with my mom.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

Posted this in the Ireland thread, mine has been going the last decade 'no its impossible never going to happen' to work from home.
Now its confirmed we are going to.
And I think they are doing it in a half assed way too, VPNing to our work computers.
But hey, if I can get paid while wearing nothing but my underwear, Im up for it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
From The Guardian:

quote:

Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious disease at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, says the UK response has not been adequate to contain the virus.

He writes:

The UK response has clearly not been sufficient, as numbers are continuing to climb and we are at risk of following the trajectory of other European countries.

If the aim is simply to delay the peak of the outbreak till the summer, then perhaps the UK response is enough. However, WHO is challenging the world to do more and we know from China that aggressive curtailment policies can work to reduce numbers.

But following China, as Italy is moving towards, is not an easy path for many reasons. I would advocate for the UK to follow a more nuanced approach, such as that being adopted by Singapore; which appears to be effective to at least contain numbers of Covid-19 cases.

In this approach, extensive contact-tracing and Sars-CoV-2 testing is able to rapidly identify new cases and fully isolate them. When put together with other social distancing measures (that do not include ‘lock down’ of areas – even the schools are open), some confidence is gained that the pandemic can be more controllable and shops can remain open.

To do this, the UK would need to rapidly increase its testing facilities and target to test every possible case, together with other social distancing tools to make this work. They could start by testing everyone in parliament to understand the nature of any cases there.

If such an approach doesn't include restricting access to large events, schools, shops, and other high-density social environments, what sort of effective social distancing measures are we talking about here? Throwing every confirmed case in prison?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I enjoy the last sentence there.

It's very :lmao: no gently caress you.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

bornbytheriver posted:

I think that the majority of UCL students are already not attending lectures if they can stay away, plus a fraction of staff are on the UCU strike.

Yeah, I started my new position last month, and between the UCU strikes and now the impending closures, I've spoken to about half of my colleagues only once.

quote:

Posted this in the Ireland thread, mine has been going the last decade 'no its impossible never going to happen' to work from home.
Now its confirmed we are going to.

I just learned that on account of the coronavirus my alma mater is for the first time ever allowing PhD students to deposit their dissertations online instead of printing out multiple physical copies and bringing them in person to an appointment at the graduate offices where they get stamped and filed god knows where. There's literally no reason not to just allow for online submissions except for ~tradition~ and conservatism, and I wonder now if once they make it possible they simply won't go back to the dumb old way.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
been back at the hospital walk in centre and saw a nurse holding a face mask to her mouth tell someone that with their symptoms they shouldn't have even come in and they need to go sit in the pod, which was very reassuring

she'd been sat in there for about half an hour too, so I pray to God it isn't airborne

then the gp asked me if I wanted to be admitted and I said not if I have a choice

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, I started my new position last month, and between the UCU strikes and now the impending closures, I've spoken to about half of my colleagues only once.

Welcome to the fold :dance:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Toot toot, another 33% increase

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1238109726342291456

Number go up

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have job interviews in Swansea and Birmginham over the next fortnight, really not looking forward to hours on the train with a million strangers.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My Uber driver today (my regular lift to work called in sick... with flu like symptoms...) was advocating taking everyone with any symptoms and putting them on a boat out of the country. He was from China.

I'm trying very hard to not freak out, I am feeling slightly under the weather but nothing more than "I need more sleep" just worried if this goes as bad as it can what the hell I'm going to do if my wife gets sick as she's type 1 diabetic and all colds really gently caress her up.

Everyone at work has been prepped with laptops to work from home if need be. Hell my entire job can be done remotely. No calls for WFH though and the general attitude is of derision and mockery towards it being anything serious. Though everyone was just given antibacterial swabs for their desks...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

There were no strategies for protecting the vulnerable and there had been a failure to engage the public. “We have a superficial prime minister who has got no grasp of public health,” Ashton said. “Our lot are behaving like 19th-century colonialists playing a five-day game of cricket.

Is quite a striking quote from the grauniad today

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
yeah absolutely gently caress the guardian taking the moral high ground here after doing everything they could to get a government they knew was corrupt and incompetent into power

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have job interviews in Swansea and Birmginham over the next fortnight, really not looking forward to hours on the train with a million strangers.

don't go?

i mean i know thats easy to say but same for the goon who was threatened with a pay cut for working from home, take the cut

there are a gently caress lot more cases than are being reported, thats guaranteed and you don't want this poo poo.
even if you don't get a bad case of it its homicidally irresponsible to risk getting it or passing it on atm
though i am aware the government and NHS' official advice is to be homicidally irresponsible

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Norwegian PM made some announcements a couple hours ago - all schools, universities etc. are closed for the next two weeks, all arrivals from abroad have two weeks of home quarantine regardless of symptoms. Several local authorities had already closed schools and asked businesses to implement work from home as far as possible. My partner is abroad visiting her parents at the moment and we aren't sure if she should come back. At least she's with her family and can stay as long as she needs to. If she does return I think we'll both have to self-isolate. :(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

my friend who gave me the flu (my fault i shared chocolate with him) is now back to work after telling me he was sweating all night with a fever and he's also going to the gym.

(his job is the same as mine. deliveroo)

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 12, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Listening to the Inception soundtrack while reading the thread.

Fits surprisingly well at the moment tbh.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
We're going from containment to delay. Gatherings over 500 people to be banned from Monday. Unsure if that's UK wide or Scotland.

e: seems to be just Scotland, we're still waiting for Joris to update the rest of us.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Despite what was being said earlier, I just heard that UCL is self-isolating now too.

I think we're hitting a tipping point now. We just agreed to all work from home from tomorrow where I am.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Boris is going to delay coming out with his 'containment' plans until after the markets close in an hour.

FYI, second worst day in FTSE history was the 19th of October 1987 where it dropped 10.84%. Currently, we're down 10.72%.

E: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

12.22% to beat for the worst day in history (FTSE only goes back to '84, mind)

RockyB fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 12, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

All teaching cancelled next week
After that all teaching & assessment is going to be online only for the rest of term
But us admin staff are still required to work at campus instead of from home

lol
I think there’s enough of us on the verge of saying “gently caress that” and staying home that they couldn’t afford to discipline us all

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, I'm never going to be back in the office at this rate. I've been off with a mild chest infection this week (gone now, doesn't seem to be coronavirus, I got off REAL loving light if it was) and I have at least a week or two out of the office next Friday for surgery on my hernia (assuming I can still have it by then).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lungboy posted:

We're going from containment to delay. Gatherings over 500 people to be banned from Monday. Unsure if that's UK wide or Scotland.

e: seems to be just Scotland, we're still waiting for Joris to update the rest of us.

do the thing now, christ

i've gotta say i was pretty sold on sturgeons "we're preparing for the worst case scenario" stuff but the scottish NHS 111 stuff has been every bit as negligent as england's so far

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Good plan from America:

https://twitter.com/mkady/status/1238098795466051584

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lungboy posted:

Just to clarify, would that include offices as well?

In which case giant lols, because I'll have basically no work to do. Most of my job is prepping laptops and I won't be able to access any of them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol, I'm never going to be back in the office at this rate. I've been off with a mild chest infection this week (gone now, doesn't seem to be coronavirus, I got off REAL loving light if it was) and I have at least a week or two out of the office next Friday for surgery on my hernia (assuming I can still have it by then).

Yeah I've had a mild chesty cough and general sniffles for the last week, and feeling exactly the same. Not really any other symptoms beyond a bit of fatigue. Would be very funny to me if I just had the mildest case ever, but iirc it usually causes a dry unproductive cough and I'm bringing up mucus so it's doubtful.

Btw is this airborne or only contact/droplet? Unsure whether to keep my windows closed or open as I live on a high traffic street close to a hospital lol

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There's conspiracy theories floating around that it's man made. I don't know if that's what the senator believes, but I wouldn't put it past USpol.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In which case giant lols, because I'll have basically no work to do. Most of my job is prepping laptops and I won't be able to access any of them.

Unclear but probably not. The rationale for 500+ gatherings being banned is that they have medical resources allocated to them, like ambulances etc. Jobs don't have those resources in place.

e: it's also unclear whether this is an outright ban (can they even do that without a bill in Parliament?) or just a suggestion.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The rationale from Sturgeon is that gatherings of over 500 need police and paramedic presence - she highlighted freeing up that resource as the key reason and said 'the science' didn't demand gatherings stop, so may not apply to offices who knows

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"COVID19?
A trifle.
It was simply a matter of outsmarting the virus.
You see, coronaviruses have a preset kill limit. Knowing its weakness I sent wave after wave of our own citizens at it until it reached its limit and shut down."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

"Is there anything to be said for ramping up the racism again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Since someone posted a Norway update, here's my eastern euro one:

Slovakia just announced they will be closing road borders from tomorrow 7 AM to all non-essential traffic. Not completely senseless given that they are surrounded by infection hotspots with only a handful of cases of their own.

It does mean my retired dad is currently stuck in an absurd traffic jam since what looks like everyone ever decided to get all shipping and travel done while possible. He has to pick up my grandmother who lives there since all assisted living services have been stopped too and she can't take care of herself.

Meanwhile the UK, ahh, well.