Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Eifert Posting posted:

I have seen some takes it's a garbage draft and some it'll rival 2011. I have seen zero takes that it's in the middle

The draft is getting more popular year after year it's also getting absolutely inundated with people trying to make a name for themselves as a draft guru on major networks and all over the internet. A side effect of this that people tend to respond well to praise of a prospect instead of hatred of a prospect. Like I was getting into big arguments last year because I thought Brian Burns was a project. Had I just praised him instead there would have been no argument. Same applies to all these draftniks. They'll just gob on about every single prospect like they're guaranteed perennial all pros because people like positive over negative. They'll grab on to empirical data like stats and combine results to make their case because none of them actually watch college football or tape. Even then you can tell that their brains shut off at position drills because the majority of draftniks out there don't talk about the drills.

I'm just venting but the point is I think as the years go by every single draft is going to get hyped up more and more because it means more views on their website page. This is a poo poo draft. Last years draft was amazing and graduated a ton of positions that were filled by subpar talent that's coming out this year. You can tell that it's a bad draft because every mock keeps changing since no one really knows who the definitive top 25 are. You figure a bunch would jump out by now but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Draft tipperino for you
Draft lamb and k-9

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Eifert Posting posted:

I have seen some takes it's a garbage draft and some it'll rival 2011. I have seen zero takes that it's in the middle

I would say it's exactly in the middle. The depth isn't that great and certain positions are very weak while others are very strong. Middle is exactly what kind of draft it is imo, if not on the weak side. Certainly it isn't some incredible field of epic proportions, nah

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Actually, it will be a great draft.

For the Titans and Falcons!!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah, forget Round 2. Wirfs, Wills, Becton, and Thomas will all be gone by 11 (Jets) or 14 (Bucs), depending on who trades up. Beyond the consensus top 4 guys, you've got Austin Jackson or Josh Jones , who are both pretty raw but will probably go in the late 10s or 20s. After that, you're looking at...idk, Ezra Cleveland?

Bucs will likely take one of those 4 if available and if they're gone I bet they'll take Jones or trade back and take him. Arians thinks it's a really deep draft at OT tho so who knows.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It will be a great draft for the Chiefs after we trade Chris Jones to Miami for a 1st and 2nd

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Well now it’ll be a top tier draft

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Comp picks are out. Patriots add two top 100 picks.

https://twitter.com/NFLDraft/status/1237489143254405121?s=19

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
e: Wrong thread

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Comp picks are out. Patriots add two top 100 picks.

https://twitter.com/NFLDraft/status/1237489143254405121?s=19

the scheme where bill spreads his terrible coordinators around the NFL knowing they will all try to ape him by bringing in ex-Patriots is beginning to bear fruit

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Eifert Posting posted:

No one knows anything for sure, though usually a consensus forms about certain things. Like the consensus this year is it is a good year to need a LT. The QB class is also above average. Burrow, Tua, and Herbert have been mocked at #1 overall at various times. Fromm too, although that was after his freshman season.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So uh when are the patriots getting punishment for cheating, *again*?

Also apparently the new scuttle is the poorly kept secret Miami is desperately trying to trade current picks for picks in the 2021 draft so buckle is on to something

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Why should the patriots get punished for bringing much needed publicity to the team and league? Should the raiders get punished for accidentally hyping people up about a sorry rear end team all summer?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Phobeste posted:

Why should the patriots get punished for bringing much needed publicity to the team and league? Should the raiders get punished for accidentally hyping people up about a sorry rear end team all summer?

Yes

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Amy Pole Her posted:

Also apparently the new scuttle is the poorly kept secret Miami is desperately trying to trade current picks for picks in the 2021 draft so buckle is on to something

:smirk:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Scares me that we’re gonna just say gently caress it and go after that top pick

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

Scares me that we’re gonna just say gently caress it and go after that top pick

What, in 2020 or 2021?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I assume 2021 since I don't think Cincy is budging short of a Ricky Williams type of franchise suicide draft trade.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Gonna lol when the fins trade out of Tua range and then end up with a 5-10 pick again next year, nose pressed against the glass watching Carolina draft Mr. Ed.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean, if they don't love the quarterbacks this year then it makes some sense to hold out for 21. Trade down, get some important pieces at other positions, then have Rosen or Fitzpatrick or . . . anyone really play quarterback

Eifert Posting posted:

Gonna lol when the fins trade out of Tua range and then end up with a 5-10 pick again next year, nose pressed against the glass watching Carolina draft Mr. Ed.

Well, that could also happen I suppose. They're not good enough at losing

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Alternatively keep drafting QBs until you find one because nothing is more important

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
With the rookie wage scale that's a strategy that a lot of teams are employing now. The Redskins might legitimately look at Tua or Burrow. I doubt it, but it's in the realm of possibility.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Alternatively keep drafting QBs until you find one because nothing is more important

100% agree

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the time Miami drafts herbert/Tua they'll be the only player on the roster.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Y’all misunderstood i was saying 2020 top pick, because they don’t seem to care about the bottom 1st of this round too much. Too much chatter they aren’t interested in moving any of their 2021 picks

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’d be over the moon if Miami gave up the extra 1’s this year to get Burrow.

I just don’t see why the Bengals would ever agree to a trade unless they love another QB as much as they love Burrow.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

I’d be over the moon if Miami gave up the extra 1’s this year to get Burrow.

I just don’t see why the Bengals would ever agree to a trade unless they love another QB as much as they love Burrow.

The Bengals are taking Burrow. Not doing so would set them up for the most embarrassing mistake in their entire history if Burrow went to the Dolphins and balled out as people expect him to. Like, think about how the Bengals are a byword for incompetence now and magnify that 10 times over when they fail to take the best quarterback in the draft despite having the first overall pick

I'm hoping we get a lot of trades in the first round, with teams moving up or down just slightly and not demanding too much in compensation. If you can still get your guy two places later and someone else wants your spot to get a QB that's basically optimal. But I think some teams will have trouble finding appropriate trade partners

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would trade the burrow pick for three firsts but it would require tua being on the board when the trade is taking place. i don't care if burrow is that great since he's 27

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cavauro posted:

i would trade the burrow pick for three firsts but it would require tua being on the board when the trade is taking place. i don't care if burrow is that great since he's 27

k it’s a deal

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

also, It's impossible to draft 3+ of the same position in a single draft and not get a hofer. Tje bengals can safely take 3 qbs and 3 guards this year then work on two defensive positions next year

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
i heard joe burrow has benjamin button thing

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Play posted:

The Bengals are taking Burrow. Not doing so would set them up for the most embarrassing mistake in their entire history if Burrow went to the Dolphins and balled out as people expect him to. Like, think about how the Bengals are a byword for incompetence now and magnify that 10 times over when they fail to take the best quarterback in the draft despite having the first overall pick
And what does that make the Bengals if they take Burrows and he turns into the next David Klingler or Akili Smith, while someone like Tua balls out?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Simplex posted:

And what does that make the Bengals if they take Burrows and he turns into the next David Klingler or Akili Smith, while someone like Tua balls out?

don't talk about the script that's going to happen. Don't talk about it. don't even think about it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I personally will be super disappointed if Burrow busts out, but I'm not sure I blame anyone. Burrow is by all appearances very safe, he has nfl traits and is mature and successful. Being too afraid to pull the trigger on him this year is not conducive to a winning roster. It'd be another thing entirely if they were picking #6 and talking themselves into one of the other guys.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
He's mature because he's older than Brandon weeden, op

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I don't think we can say for sure that Burrow is the #1 unless we know who all came to his birthday party.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Eifert Posting posted:

I personally will be super disappointed if Burrow busts out, but I'm not sure I blame anyone. Burrow is by all appearances very safe, he has nfl traits and is mature and successful. Being too afraid to pull the trigger on him this year is not conducive to a winning roster. It'd be another thing entirely if they were picking #6 and talking themselves into one of the other guys.

Send him to the Saints just to be sure that his chances of busting are minimal.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

They turned down 9 picks from the Saints to draft Akili Smith so I guess that would make the Bengals the Bengals

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Simplex posted:

At the very least people can say "well, everyone thought Burrow was going to be good, so that's just a very normal level of incompetence"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The Bengals will ruin whichever QB they take. There's 50 years of history to rely on