Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WTF BEES posted:

So I manage a fairly large thrift store in a capitol city. We get our merch mostly through donations, either in store or through a charity we partner with. So it's retail sales where all the product is unwashed miscellaneous junk and clothes. Almost all of my 30+ staff are over 45.

I came in today and did my morning walk around asking my people what they thought.

"What?"
"What's a......Pandemonium?"
"I thought the president said it was just a bad cold...."

My employees who sort and price the incoming merch wear no PPE whatsoever. No masks, gloves, nothing. Neither do the cashiers that stock the goods. Our customer base is mainly the elderly, semi-homeless, and college students.

There has been no word at all from corporate regarding what they plan to do if things shift for the worst.

So how turbo-hosed am I?

i love value village i found an electric pressure cooker there the other day for $5.

if i were you i would wear gloves and full respirator to work until i am told i have to go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sticksy posted:

Guns can kill the virus, right? We Americans has been preparing for this for a long time.

we'll nuke the viral hurricane

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

*Adds muciex to Amazon cart*

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

we'll nuke the viral hurricane

the hosed up thing is if we'd nuked wuhan before this poo poo took off we'd be the villains :rolleyes:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, just got a fever and a sore throat.
Called a doctor and he just said: "stay home for a week, don't have contact with other people. I'll hang a doctor's note on our door, just come by and pick it up."

Here's hoping I don't die :downsgun:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My boomer mother saw the light so no dog show, ty Trump I say for the first time ever in life.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

shut up blegum posted:

Called a doctor and he just said: "stay home for a week, don't have contact with other people. I'll hang a doctor's note on our door, just come by and pick it up."

Phone diagnosis?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Burt Sexual posted:

Phone diagnosis?

Yup

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

shut up blegum posted:

Good luck omg

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

hemale in pain posted:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-x-rays-and-ct-scans-reveal-about-how-covid-19-kills-11955988

quote:

X-ray images and CT scans of coronavirus patients reveal how their lungs are being ravaged by the virus and filled with a sticky mucus that prevents them from inhaling because there is no space for air.

sounds like a lovely way to die

No that can't be right. The flu doesn't act like that.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Doesn't capsaicin help break down mucus and make it flow easier? So basically all you have to do is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANkQH6h7NRE

[psa]Please don't vape Carolina Reapers[/psa]

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

GreatGreen posted:

sounds like a lovely way to die

ARDS secondary to coronavirus infection

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

best practice to avoid coronavirus is to submerge your body twice a day in frank's hot sauce for 20-30 seconds

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It’s uncanny how strong of a preference this virus shows for the aged (particularly those with comorbidities) where as most other illnesses tend to hit the very young as well as the old. It’s almost as if the Chinese cooked this up in a lab in an effort to reduce their “less productive” segment of the population

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

shut up blegum posted:

Good news, a sore throat is very rarely one of the symptoms.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm still on holiday in this super nice appartement in the Alps just next to Italy, and it's kind of surreal to watch my country (Belgium) go full quarantine while I'm skiing.

Thanks to this thread though I already stocked up on toilet paper, diapers, formula, pasta and rice so I'm just enjoying the moment.

All my hockey matches are canceled. I probably won't be able to go see Dave Clarke in may.

Waiting for my company to declare WFH for support functions and for the child care to tell us we have to keep the baby home.

It's nice to be prepared.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IDK but mucus sounds like a symptom we really ought to have a handle on by now? People dieing of snot overdose in TYOOL 2020?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

All the old fucks and it's Trudeau in quarantine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1238128593592606721?s=20

We just can’t stop loving this up can we? Lol

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

IDK but mucus sounds like a symptom we really ought to have a handle on by now? People dieing of snot overdose in TYOOL 2020?

If you're intubated and sedated, you're gonna be lying down all day, barely moving, and unable to cough. Sure they'll suction you every couple hours and use medications to attempt to manage the secretions, but that's a poor substitute for moving about and coughing. Add to that the massive influx of mucus production from the infection and you can imagine how this stuff just builds up in sick people's lungs

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Rad-daddio posted:

I had Valley Fever a few years back, so I'm already versed in coughing up blood tinged phlegm. Corona should have a lot of fun with my lungs.

Valley fever both sucks and is rare, congrats :(

What's been nice for me working in the Roni clinic is we get whatever we ask for (within reason, of course), quickly. Need a few more test kits for strep and flu? Here you go. A light went out in the office, someone is there in 5 minutes (instead of waiting a week).

Patients are getting pissed and we're having to make hard decisions (like not allowing a dad to go to his wife's pre-natal ultrasound), but we're doing the right thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It’s uncanny how strong of a preference this virus shows for the aged (particularly those with comorbidities) where as most other illnesses tend to hit the very young as well as the old. It’s almost as if the Chinese cooked this up in a lab in an effort to reduce their “less productive” segment of the population

Yeah for sure the party leaders were like "let's kill ourselves"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

yeah, i had the shits for 2 days and now i'm developing an itchy throat and a heavy feeling in my chest but that last one might just be paranoia. i probably have normal cold or flu but it sucks!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah for sure the party leaders were like "let's kill ourselves"

They vaccinated themselves beforehand, duh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1237944370327764994?s=20

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Our company is so helpless. They probably know that the system can't handle everyone doing WFH, so they don't make everyone do it right now. But they now recommend everyone taking home all important documents and laptops every evening for the case we couldn't come back in because of a lockdown, so they have a few more days to test and expand the system.
Like hell I'll drag that stuff around with me on my bike or public transit.

I think my company is also doing the same as yours. Not sure why we are still at work. We l just got an email saying they are monitoring it and cleaning the bathrooms harder. Paraphrasing of course, I don't want to doxx myself

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Talked to my dad. He lives in a small town outside of Vienna and does contract work for the UN, but he's stopped going into the city and they're preparing to stay holed up in their village as things shake out. His Austrian wife has a part-time teaching job and it and similar government programs have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Apparently his wife's brother's girlfriend's son just got back from Tirol and is showing symptoms so they've all self-isolated. My dad's 75 but has no medical conditions and is otherwise extremely healthy. Meanwhile, my mom's wintering in Cuba so I have to admit, this whole pandemic timing could have been worse.

Anyway, I'm off to stock up on diapers. Do I have a kid? What, no, haha, why do you ask?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 12, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ontario's tested over 4000 people so far and of that number only 54 are positive so Goons, if you've got the sniffles chances are good it's not the 'Roni. Yet.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Mordja posted:

Ontario's tested over 4000 people so far and of that number only 54 are positive so Goons, if you've got the sniffles chances are good it's not the 'Roni. Yet.

I like how Ontario is testing more than the CDC does in a week in a day lol.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bamabalacha posted:

I like how Ontario is testing more than the CDC does in a week in a day lol.
Most states are testing more than the CDC, which is just the biggest failure

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Mordja posted:

Cool, I figured it's the normal flu or something like that. Still weird tough.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm still on holiday in this super nice appartement in the Alps just next to Italy, and it's kind of surreal to watch my country (Belgium) go full quarantine while I'm skiing.

Thanks to this thread though I already stocked up on toilet paper, diapers, formula, pasta and rice so I'm just enjoying the moment.

All my hockey matches are canceled. I probably won't be able to go see Dave Clarke in may.

Waiting for my company to declare WFH for support functions and for the child care to tell us we have to keep the baby home.

It's nice to be prepared.
:hifive: if you want your holiday to last longer, just call a doctor and tell them you have a fever. They'll write you a note.
Don't actually catch a fever though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Norwegian press conference finished perfectly

https://twitter.com/EivorEvenrud/status/1238108793483001856

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have the sniffles and an itchy throat but today is also the first day I've seen the sheen of heavy pollen on the swamp water so that's perfectly normal through June or so. Which is to say, I'm spreading this motherfucker everywhere I go until the fever kicks in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burt Sexual posted:

Phone diagnosis?

Can you blame him?? :v:

A clinic near me has set up a drive-in testing facility, you just pull up in your car and lower the window and they they come out in their protective gear and reach in and take a swab. You book and pay over the phone and when you arrive you ring them again to let them know you're there. Their instructions very clearly explain that you DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR while you're there.

There's only been 126 confirmed cases in Australia and three deaths (which were people aged 78, 95 and 82) so the hyper-vigilant clinic sounds more like an exercise in crowd panic control than anything

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can you blame him?? :v:

A clinic near me has set up a drive-in testing facility, you just pull up in your car and lower the window and they they come out in their protective gear and reach in and take a swab. You book and pay over the phone and when you arrive you ring them again to let them know you're there. Their instructions very clearly explain that you DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR while you're there.

Can you get fries with that?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

On the plus side I'm getting really good results from this thing, This was me trying for "Eiffel 65 - Blue"

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

get him

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

stump collector posted:

I think my company is also doing the same as yours. Not sure why we are still at work. We l just got an email saying they are monitoring it and cleaning the bathrooms harder. Paraphrasing of course, I don't want to doxx myself

Exact same for my company. They even mentioned that the city the campus is based in had declared a SOE, but that their only major recommendation was to cancel large meetings and take your laptop home.

My city also declared a SOE, and here I am at work. Luckily I wear gloves all day, but if it's airborne...

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

GreatGreen posted:

Yes, it does, when it causes pneumonia, which is what this is talking about. Flus cause pneumonia all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My employer just sent out an email stating that if you are out due to the Cornonavirus (including your own illness, caring for others, mandatory quarantine etc.), you will need to exhaust all of your PTO to be paid, then take FMLA. This is a company with a robust VPN system but has a strict no-WFH policy.