Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

triplexpac posted:

Been playing my 2004 WCW scenario in TEW... I rejoined the NWA ages ago, and it makes me smile every time some lovely indie in the NWA takes a loan on Goldberg and jobs him out. Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

I don't know why but it amuses me so much to watch my big guys get borrowed and just job out. Its so funny.

I also really love voluntarily trading some young guys out so they can go work and I can get someone big (to job out) and then just watching them never win a thing for 6 months outside my company. It was such a great addition to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

*SuperFriends Announcer Voice* MEANWHILE

https://twitter.com/AKI_Evolution/status/1238153510904094727?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I never played the ARK game but I watched some gameplay vids and it seemed pretty cool. Dunno how that would translate to making a wrestling game however.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

coconono posted:

I never played the ARK game but I watched some gameplay vids and it seemed pretty cool. Dunno how that would translate to making a wrestling game however.

Their Army Men Sarge’s Heroes reimagining looks amazing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObN-pSBbq8

This would almost be cool if the game itself wasn't such trash.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 14, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The creative vision for dlc this year honestly has been a homerun but the execution in the actual game portion of things is such an unmitigated disaster there is just no justifiable reason to jump from 19 to 20 which is a shame because it does feel like the direction has been more inspired than in past years

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's cringe all the way down

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Seriously it's all such a waste. There's no salvaging the game, why are they throwing good money after bad?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

OFFICER LIGER posted:

The creative vision for dlc this year honestly has been a homerun but the execution in the actual game portion of things is such an unmitigated disaster there is just no justifiable reason to jump from 19 to 20 which is a shame because it does feel like the direction has been more inspired than in past years

Love the youtube comments too about how they just need to add "Kushida" and "more legends." These loving games already have a 250 person roster that they probably spend most of their time year-to-year redoing the attires and reanimating the entrance cutscenes on. None of it makes the game more fun, there's nothing in the AI that makes one guy different from another besides moves and Left Leg Durability, and half of it looks like poo poo, it's just bloat.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 14, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They really need to cut that 250+ roster down to size.

No one needs three different versions of Bayley, for example, in the base game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've never fully understood the logic behind "This is an alternate attire, this is a completely different version of the same wrestler."

You occasionally get fun moments like the AI booking Hulk Hogan vs Hollywood Hulk Hogan in Universe mode, but on the other end, The Rock ($500 Shirt).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've never fully understood the logic behind "This is an alternate attire, this is a completely different version of the same wrestler."

You occasionally get fun moments like the AI booking Hulk Hogan vs Hollywood Hulk Hogan in Universe mode, but on the other end, The Rock ($500 Shirt).

I've assumed the difference is in entrances and face stuff that can't be changed between attires.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've come to the realization that if I play TEW 2020 when it comes out that I will not actually play AEW. The fun thing about fantasy booking is fixing what reality hosed up and there is barely any room for that in AEW.

Release Jake Hager

Hooray I won.

So maybe I'll play WWE instead. I don't know exactly what I'd do except to say I'd do 'better'.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vandar posted:

They really need to cut that 250+ roster down to size.

No one needs three different versions of Bayley, for example, in the base game.

Didn't one game have like 11 versions of Daniel Bryan?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah but we need "Daniel Bryan, but a pervert" tho.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Maybe I'll play WWE but with a strict "no poaching AEW" rule allowed.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Didn't one game have like 11 versions of Daniel Bryan?

Yes. Also I think it was 2k19 that had six Stings.

2k20 has five Charlottes and that’s before dlc.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The multiple versions of certain characters is so loving awful because their movesets dont change or their looks & characteristics arent much different

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I understand if it's something drastic, like Surfer Sting and Crow Sting, or 1990 Undertaker and today Undertaker. But long hair Big Show and short hair Big Show? Or Chain Gang shirt Cena and Never Give Up Cena? Don't need those.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Rapper Cena would have been fine, like whatever, that's the period of wrestling I have nostalgia for and I'm more people would use it than Tamina and Akira Tozawa. But the punchline here is they made this separate Cena character and they still gave him old man Cena face.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 15, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When I play TEW I tend to most often to go TNA because its like the perfect setup for what I like. 1 2 hour show a week, some PPVs, can sign names, plenty of room to improve. I also tend to go back to summer 2013 with a saved database because that's when I stopped really watching and when I think TNA basically started to truly fall apart (over the rest of the year they'd lose Spike TV, AJ Styles, Sting, Bad Influence, etc). So it feels like a good place to start up and try and fix things.

Of course 2013 keeps getting older and older so I play in modern games too sometimes. AEW has that same fit but it does sort of feel like too little of a challenge. Like there's not a ton I want to do in AEW that isn't already being done so its less fun. I guess that leaves Impact or one of the indies you work on building up to that "2 hour show/PPVs/big signings" level.

WWE to me is just too much and absolutely no fun. Even if you limit yourself to RAW and SD its just way more than I want to book and too much drat talent to entire clear out for no reason except taste or just clog up when you want to add other people. Plus theres no fun playing at the top. All you can do is go down.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty big into Football Manager, and I find that I'm much more interested in watching the game world move (big-picture player progression, global transfer market, AI clubs rising and falling) than I am in beating Bradford City 2-1. So playing WWE or even AEW in TEW means that I spend less time watching the game world move and more time booking run-ins. My only really comfy TEW game was as a low CVerse indy where I barely ever ran more than a show a month.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I really wish that TEW would allow you to set objectives, like "push Asuka to Main Event" or set long-term plans like "Stone Cold vs. Triple H at WrestleMania for Title" and then the booking sim would generate a card for you week-in week-out that you could tweak as you willed, but all towards trying to fulfill your goals. Then give you feedback like "we think this worker has hit their peak and the fans art starting to turn on them because they don't feel they can advance any more and are sick of us pushing them."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is fan backlash something that TEW has ever modeled, or is preparing to model? How would you represent Cena drawing money and also being performatively despised by certain demographics of the audience?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The best approximation I can think of is like, a gimmick going stale.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

Yes. Also I think it was 2k19 that had six Stings.

2k20 has five Charlottes and that’s before dlc.

Also randomly making wrestlers unplayable/managers only (Ted DiBiase not being in 2k15, then spending 2 games as Manager-only despite being playable in 2k14, for example)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Angry_Ed posted:

Also randomly making wrestlers unplayable/managers only (Ted DiBiase not being in 2k15, then spending 2 games as Manager-only despite being playable in 2k14, for example)

To be fair, some of that can be legal rights issues.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Basic Chunnel posted:

The best approximation I can think of is like, a gimmick going stale.

If a wrestler's gimmick or style doesn't match the product fans can react negatively.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Still, it wasn't really his gimmick (though as always you can quibble over what the WWE thinks a face is or does), or his style of wrestling, it was that he was pushed too hard. Which, come to think of it, might be reflected in the "Protect" and / or "Keep Strong" booking notes, both of which are meant to mitigate a worker's loss but depress the match quality. In that respect, this particular scenario is modeled pretty well in-game. Vince was giving Cena protection he didn't actually need. It's just that generally "Keep Strong", "Dominate" etc are more arcane than they seem, and have no real use in making a winner look better, all (reasonable) novice assumptions to the contrary.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay I like how in Fire Promoter sometimes there'll be a backstage conflict between wrestlers which means you should put them in a grudge match now. I got a 98% match and a heel-face turn from Asuka turning on Ric Flair.

(And War Games ended with Paige tapping out Randy Savage.)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I like how in Fire Promoter sometimes there'll be a backstage conflict between wrestlers which means you should put them in a grudge match now. I got a 98% match and a heel-face turn from Asuka turning on Ric Flair.

How often would you say this happens? Final Fire Pro had something similar but in the 4 year length of a run in that game I only had it happen twice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

How often would you say this happens? Final Fire Pro had something similar but in the 4 year length of a run in that game I only had it happen twice.

I mean it's only happened the once in this data but it's still the first year. Haven't seen it at all in another save. Not sure how often it happens or whether it's totally random or what.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fat Lowtax posted:

Yeah I'm pretty big into Football Manager, and I find that I'm much more interested in watching the game world move (big-picture player progression, global transfer market, AI clubs rising and falling) than I am in beating Bradford City 2-1. So playing WWE or even AEW in TEW means that I spend less time watching the game world move and more time booking run-ins. My only really comfy TEW game was as a low CVerse indy where I barely ever ran more than a show a month.

Yeah, a big part of the fun of TEW is like "ok, today is my booking day... gotta do work" and then when you're done you're like "ok, now a week of just some random decisions and watching and seeing what happens!" Its fun to book but its also fun to just watch the simulator.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is fan backlash something that TEW has ever modeled, or is preparing to model? How would you represent Cena drawing money and also being performatively despised by certain demographics of the audience?

If you overuse someone on a card the road agent notes will tell you and the crowd turns. That's more of a matter of time but I've also had times where I put someone low on the card over someone high and the crowd just hated it. And that affects the wrestler's momentum.

I think in general we're talking about "momentum" and that's just kind of an esoteric stat in TEW that a lot of us don't seem to fully understand or pay close attention to until someone just tanks. But yeah, sometimes wrestlers tank. And if you do that enough it would probably affect your product's momentum and ratings, but who would deliberately book a promotion for years to stuff its fans were reacting negatively to?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Overuse only really matters in terms of someone being not over enough. A main eventer like Cena could literally be used in every single angle. It would hurt him, but he wouldn't be hurt because he's on too many segments, it would be because less popular workers would dim his heat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd love to have TEW's booking sim depth but in some other interface. drop down menus is some 1987 poo poo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

newLegacy have uploaded some new videos to Youtube

These include games johnny and htial played with Xavier Woods

This is my fav: Mount Your Friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0qFVYzPFo

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

quote:

nL Not So Live - NFL Blitz

drat this could be pretty fun, guess I'll ch--

quote:

w/ DenkOps!

oh :fuckoff:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mount your friends needs a re-release

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Yeah, Jawnny needs to cut the Youtuber buddy streams. Creed can stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Back when it was fresh I DLed the July 2019 modern day mod in TEW 2016 with an experiment in mind. Anybody who has used the mod knows that due to its scope it's kinda lifeless. Everybody's stats are a multiple of 10 which feels sterile as hell. So I decided sim a year or so of game world so workers would get reps in and their stats would feel more organic as a result. Unfortunately I got about 5 months in because it takes loving forever and also I realized that most of the game world is either unemployed or wasn't wrestling enough matches to matter. Also I was going to download the most recent Modern Day database to see how much I'd have to mess with it to make AEW playable but it turns out a bunch of people are working on a more streamlined modern day database for when TEW 2020 launches. I haven't checked it out, I'm just going to hope for the best.