Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So they just announced here that the grand prix will be closed to the public. So now it's in the air about if the race will be run without any spectators or not, this is weird.

Also Roger Penske is a typical rich guy complaining about it saying there's no reason for it. Of course, that would effect his pocketbook can't have that!

Roger Penske posted:

We had 25,000 people at Amelia Island last weekend with no problems. DisneyWorld is still open, there’s a big golf tourney in Florida this weekend and there’s no reason to make any change in St. Pete unless we’re instructed by the government and/or health department.

Golf tournament was canceled too dickhead

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress it

I hope every old rich rear end in a top hat catches this poo poo and destroys them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Big 10 basketball tournament cancelled. Are they gonna shitcan March Madness entirely?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Big 10 basketball tournament cancelled. Are they gonna shitcan March Madness entirely?

They should postpone it not shitcan it.

The Chinese are already getting back to basketball games, there's no reason why we can't as well once this blows over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

I hope every old rich rear end in a top hat catches this poo poo and destroys them.

I mean... I like Bill Gates, he's been spending his fortune on philanthropic stuff. Warren Buffet has been pretty great about that too.

Jeff Bezos can gently caress off.

Darchangel posted:

That's a thought. The travel/destination industry is going to be *hurting* in a few months.

I think that's gonna be EVERY industry except for recession-proof ones. We're still gonna need food and drugs - pharmacies should do well on actual medication (but go to poo poo on the overpriced everything-else they carry), grocery stores will continue to see a lot of traffic for the bare minimums, probably see close to the same foot traffic as before Corona happened, but (likely much) lower average $ per customer for awhile.

I'm already expecting a possible cut in my hours next week - our warehouses have run out of a lot of poo poo, and about 85% of our stock comes from company-owned warehouses (probably 5% from a third party warehouse, the rest from vendors that come in and stock it themselves - i.e. Frito Lay, Coca Cola, etc). Luckily I have several gig economy jobs I can fall back on, unfortunately their business has all dropped considerably aside from one (Instacart is busy as hell, but every order has hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, etc, and nobody has them in stock, so ratings and tips will go to poo poo). That's gonna affect one of my other gigs too (Amazon Flex, which handles Whole Foods deliveries for Amazon). Both services allow you to change ratings and tips after the delivery, and with Instacart being a "full service" thing (I do the actual shopping), my ratings and tips will be hit a bit harder there vs Amazon (most people realize it's Amazon employees fulfilling the orders and giving them to drivers already bagged up, but not all).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 12, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I said rear end in a top hat

Bill's a pretty chill dude these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

At least the kids are gonna be out of school for awhile for spring break after tomorrow and it can be decided whether or not they should go back depending on what's going on at the time, but I'm anticipating an extended spring break.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

I mean... I like Bill Gates, he's been spending his fortune on philanthropic stuff. Warren Buffet has been pretty great about that too.

Seems like there's an unnecessary step in there somewhere - what's the point in hoarding all of that wealth if you're just going to give it away to charities that help the people hoarding said wealth hurt in the first place?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Seems like there's an unnecessary step in there somewhere - what's the point in hoarding all of that wealth if you're just going to give it away to charities that help the people hoarding said wealth hurt in the first place?

I think he was a kind of lovely person back in the day. I think he had a change of heart is all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They are spending some of their vast hoard on good stuff, but nowhere near a large portion of it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

Don't be a dick. You were posting regarding the travel ban, and I was pointing out it doesn't apply to the UK.

Also you mentioned Virgin Atlantic, and they have sent out an email saying they'll allow rescheduling of flights to other dates without charge, so it's worth checking if that applies to US-originating bookings as well.
Sorry, it seemed like you were inferring that it was fine to travel to the UK because there wasn't a ban.

They'll let me re-schedule into September. The trade show/conference I was attending has been postponed until December. So that's no help. Plus my wife can't travel in December, so I'd need a refund for her ticket regardless.
I'm well aware it doesn't apply to the UK. Yet. Until Captain Cheeto decides to mouth off at 10PM again and make it apply, and I'm stuck in a foreign country, scrambling for a flight home. Also, anyone coming back is subject to "thorough inspection" with possible mandatory quarantine. Like I said, I can take the financial hit. I'm not going to risk anything over $2000 worth of travelbucks.

InitialDave posted:

It's not about being technically correct for dick waving, it's an important distinction with regard to how you're covered for losses - if you cancel on government advice not to travel, you generally do get covered by your insurance, and what Sharky was saying came across like he was cancelling because of the travel ban.
I'm cancelling because of the virus, as well as the ban, which will likely expand to include the UK... once Trump figures out that the UK is just as badly infected as any other EU country aside from Italy. It also only covers European citizens, not those travelling on US passports. Does that mean that I should go? Nope. Again, I can take the hit even if insurance won't cover it and no one gives me a refund. I'm incredibly thankful that I'm in that position instead of needing that money to pay for food or rent or utilities.

Darchangel posted:

Now go over there and sit on the "Group W" bench.
Father-rapers

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

f1 being incompetent and valuing profits over X? wow who could have ever foreseen this

you're assuming that sharky is carrying travel insurance. most people don't buy that poo poo in the US anyway
F1$$>*

And I have travel insurance through my business card. I've been on hold with them for 2 hours today. I've got emails into both train lines I had booked tickets on. I'm on AirBNB's chat about getting refunds on both bookings I cancelled last night. I'm doing my due diligence before I deal with travel insurance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You gets bad reviews and no tips if the store doesn't have it in stock? That's dumb.

Schools here are likely to shut after next Friday for 2 weeks, I'm sure they'll drag that into the Easter holiday which will gently caress over anyone who suddenly needs extra childcare. Out of the blue we were asked at work what prep we'd do if we were to shut the factory floor for 2 weeks with no notice, so I guess that might be coming too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Powershift posted:

I’m stuck in an overcapacity hospital for at least another 3 weeks, And just got another infusion of immune suppressants so I’m already dead, rip
Do what I do when I'm in the hospital. Everyone who walks in the door washes their hands immediately whether they will be touching you or not. Anyone that will be touching you wears gloves. Hand sanitizer doesn't count and if they 'just washed' that's too drat bad they can wash again. Watch doctors and nurses very closely, especially around your IV or whatever...alcohol wipe before and between every step, if it droops and touches skin/pillow/etc they clean it again. Sure people might complain but on the upside you won't die.

meatpimp posted:

Congress was just briefed that the US has tested 11,000 people IN TOTAL. South Korea is testing that number PER DAY.
We are being directly lied to by our government and, while the virus itself isn't going to cripple us, horrible mismanagement of the situation just may.
When this poo poo blows up I hope people remember the orange idiot in charge and his goons hosed us over.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

delta sent that email to encourage people to keep flying but they've also been allowing changes and cancellations for like two weeks. you have to call them, though - not on app.
Did not know this, thanks for the heads up...time to call Delta

We'll probably put together a list over the next couple days then do an early morning grocery run this weekend to avoid as many people as possible. We've got most of the basics and food to get us through 2-3 weeks pretty easily but it wouldn't hurt to have a little more, worst case we don't have to go shopping for a couple weeks. Wife doesn't want me leaving the house at all. Waiting to see if our work places go to essential personal only, mine has already put in strict visitor screening.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Do what I do when I'm in the hospital. Everyone who walks in the door washes their hands immediately whether they will be touching you or not. Anyone that will be touching you wears gloves. Hand sanitizer doesn't count and if they 'just washed' that's too drat bad they can wash again. Watch doctors and nurses very closely, especially around your IV or whatever...alcohol wipe before and between every step, if it droops and touches skin/pillow/etc they clean it again. Sure people might complain but on the upside you won't die.
Yes. Don't at ALL be afraid to be very direct ("a dick") about this. Healthcare workers are (or should be) very used to this, and are expected to comply.

You need to SEE them wash their hands. They should use soap and water, scrub completely and for at least 20 seconds.

Don't get sick because of social norms. (Also :hf: at-risk buddy)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

NitroSpazzz posted:

Did not know this, thanks for the heads up...time to call Delta

glad to help!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I was considering swiping One of the portable hand sanitizer stations and putting it in the doorway.

Half the people in the unit take 20 smoke breaks a day and get weekends out so infection is inevitable. I was thinking of bringing a bottle of disinfectant in with me but they would probably frown on bringing a handle of Johnnie Walker into a psych ward with no intention of sharing with the nurses.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

I’m stuck in an overcapacity hospital for at least another 3 weeks, And just got another infusion of immune suppressants so I’m already dead, rip

Take it easy you friendly giant.

My step father is going through radiation treatments and immunotherapy right now for lung cancer so he is immuno compromised. I'd be concerned for him this time of year regardless.

I think cancelling all the big social functions (professional sports, trade shows, etc) is a good thing. Cruise lines are starting to announce complete shut downs which they should with global air travel being so impacted. I want my cruise (April 3) to be officially cancelled so I can get my insurance claim on the go (because I guarantee they'll just be giving future credits, not refunds, and a future credit means nothing if you can't use it OR if the cruise company goes belly up).

:rip: Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My kids just got a 3 week Spring Break starting Monday... man, that's when things start going tits-up, when people don't have daycare options and kids out of school and jobs... something has to give.

It's gonna get weird.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Powershift posted:

I was considering swiping One of the portable hand sanitizer stations and putting it in the doorway.

Half the people in the unit take 20 smoke breaks a day and get weekends out so infection is inevitable. I was thinking of bringing a bottle of disinfectant in with me but they would probably frown on bringing a handle of Johnnie Walker into a psych ward with no intention of sharing with the nurses.

Hand sanitizer is weird because most people assume it works on contact so they think they're safe. However, you still need to run 20 seconds and if your hands get dry before then, you didn't use enough. The automatic dispensers need like 3 portions to have enough.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to break up death chat but I've got another one up on BAT just went live...ya'll bid!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-honda-acty/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sorry to bring back death chat, but I thought this was nice:

Harbor Freight email posted:

We feel deeply for those who have been affected. Thankfully, as of now, we’re not aware of any associate contracting COVID-19. But we have implemented guidelines that instruct any associate who may develop symptoms or come into contact with infected individuals to stay home and follow the CDC’s instructions. And impacted associates will be compensated for their missed work hours.
Now back to non-death chat:

everdave posted:

I hate to break up death chat but I've got another one up on BAT just went live...ya'll bid!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 12, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

That's a great color, would make a nice replacement for the F100

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's a great color, would make a nice replacement for the F100

Yes why I bought it in the first place, I personally love the color combo and it is kind of rare, certainly way less common than the white ones.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

I'd love a little Kei truck. Preferebly with a hydraulic dump bed :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

Sorry, it seemed like you were inferring that it was fine to travel to the UK because there wasn't a ban.
No, I was concerned you were cancelling under the impression you had no choice, and setting yourself up for much greater loss than just $2k if your insurance weren't interested because technically it's still "ok" to travel.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

I'd love a little Kei truck. Preferebly with a hydraulic dump bed :getin:

Well they definitely make them...but could I interest you in one with a bucket attached to it? The only one I have ever seen is mine and on the boat! Ha.

There have been some very nice Kei dumps up lately at auction in Japan but the nice, nice ones have gone for BIG money relatively. Definitely something people are looking for.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I found out today the closest hospital to work, which serves about 40,000 people, has a total of 100 test kits and has used zero. I am not the only one with a cough in the office today.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think that may be the strategy here. Don’t test, that way numbers can’t be bad. Repeat “its just a normal cold” or “the flu kills more people” until people believe it. Pretend it never happened/we won. No one can test, so evidence won’t exist otherwise.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

China is apparently claiming that the US planted the virus in China

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

I think that may be the strategy here. Don’t test, that way numbers can’t be bad. Repeat “its just a normal cold” or “the flu kills more people” until people believe it. Pretend it never happened/we won. No one can test, so evidence won’t exist otherwise.

This is my thought/fear, also.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Joe Rogan Experience posted:

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

gently caress he's predicting it's going to last 3 to 6 months

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 12, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

China is apparently claiming that the US planted the virus in China
Hahaha how can anyone ascribe that level of organisation and competence to the current US government?

It'd be like expecting our lot to do a good job of Brexit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think I’m gonna rig the truck up to live in and spend the summer in Banff and jasper

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

China sent nine experts and 31 tons of supplies to Italy to help combat COVID-91. Included in that is plasma from patients that survived, infuse antibodies directly into the new patients. Potential to be a solution to reduce the death toll.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/05/how-blood-plasma-from-recovered-patients-could-help-treat-coronavirus/

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NitroSpazzz posted:

China sent nine experts and 31 tons of supplies to Italy to help combat COVID-91. Included in that is plasma from patients that survived, infuse antibodies directly into the new patients. Potential to be a solution to reduce the death toll.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/05/how-blood-plasma-from-recovered-patients-could-help-treat-coronavirus/

Jesus, they're that desperate for relief. What's next, we start growing antibodies in horses again?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Seattle area schools are now closed until the end of April. I'm thankful my kids daycare isn't closed(yet), but its kinda crazy around here. The roads are loving quiet, major busy roads totally empty during rush hour. My usual commute is 35 minutes, took 22 this morning.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

gently caress he's predicting it's going to last 3 to 6 months

Jesus Christ. Information we need, but scary.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
For better or worse, my school won't cancel classes. The AWS is so old school that we take proctored scantrons, hand in written work books, and are not able to use any computer based anything for our coursework, so at least I'll still be on schedule to be certified :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Jesus Christ. Information we need, but scary.

Yeah and what he's saying about all the people in their 40's that are dying.....It's NOT an old person's disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well! Friend just informed us all that her housemate is being tested for it!