Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

My employer just sent out an email stating that if you are out due to the Cornonavirus (including your own illness, caring for others, mandatory quarantine etc.), you will need to exhaust all of your PTO to be paid, then take FMLA. This is a company with a robust VPN system but has a strict no-WFH policy.

Yeah I think we're supposed to be on PTO if we are unable to work from home. Which means probably half of our employees will burn up their PTO time if they get sick. I imagine they'll have to reverse their policy on that as soon as someone contaminates the office and we have to shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

anyone else having trouble with the john hopkins university map?

schools are starting to switch to online only locally, but not mine. they want us at our clinical sites tomorrow lol. when i was there wednesday they had security set up temp checkpoints at all the entrances... but i walked past them twice and they didnt check me. they didnt really seem to be doing anything actually. apparently they were using thermometers used to check air conditioners too. this is fine. everything is normal.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's gonna own when the pandemic is finished but schools stay online only. Forget colleges, gotta do it from pre-K and up!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I work for one of the many universities that are extending spring breaks and moving online for classes...but they're not even encouraging people to work from home so everyone is expected to show up still

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RIP Spain

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1238159151865507847?s=21

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's gonna own when the pandemic is finished but schools stay online only. Forget colleges, gotta do it from pre-K and up!

it will be like that issac asimov novel with the goon planet. everyone lives 100+ miles from the nearest neighbor and robots take care of everything between people

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I imagine the concept of WFH and how feasible/easy to institute it is, has plenty of managers wondering about the obsolescence of their jobs. That's why they push so hard against it, right? Will be interesting to see if there is any shift here in the US.

Here in CT haven't gotten it yet, mother has been mailing endless packages of gloves and soap and Mandarin oranges and vitamins and stuff, with the hope that we don't get sick and I miss an important surgery in May. Fingies crossed. Hail Satan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Person on MSNBC being video interviewed right now apparently went through the whole process in 2 weeks. Did not experience any respiratory symptoms, just a huge fever, chills, aches, almost went to the ER. Tested positive for covid-19 in a Seattle research study that was nominally looking for influenza cases. She and all of her friends caught the illness at a house party. She happened to be tested in that research study but others who went to a doctor were not given a test because they weren't coughing

So that's a weird turn

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Oh nice, we just business partners from spain in the office today.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

stump collector posted:

Yeah I think we're supposed to be on PTO if we are unable to work from home. Which means probably half of our employees will burn up their PTO time if they get sick. I imagine they'll have to reverse their policy on that as soon as someone contaminates the office and we have to shut down.

It just seems like such a stance guarantees that people come to work sick...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pakistani politics posted:

I imagine the concept of WFH and how feasible/easy to institute it is, has plenty of managers wondering about the obsolescence of their jobs. That's why they push so hard against it, right? Will be interesting to see if there is any shift here in the US.

Here in CT haven't gotten it yet, mother has been mailing endless packages of gloves and soap and Mandarin oranges and vitamins and stuff, with the hope that we don't get sick and I miss an important surgery in May. Fingies crossed. Hail Satan.

hmm i never thought about it that way. work-from-home is to middle managers what e-learning is to school teachers.

this epidemic might make it obvious how redundant a lot of those guys are

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Rutibex posted:

it will be like that issac asimov novel with the goon planet. everyone lives 100+ miles from the nearest neighbor and robots take care of everything between people

I was gonna suggest The Machine Stops but that works too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Person on MSNBC being video interviewed right now apparently went through the whole process in 2 weeks. Did not experience any respiratory symptoms, just a huge fever, chills, aches, almost went to the ER. Tested positive for covid-19 in a Seattle research study that was nominally looking for influenza cases. She and all of her friends caught the illness at a house party. She happened to be tested in that research study but others who went to a doctor were not given a test because they weren't coughing

So that's a weird turn

Sounds fun and really NBD if 50% of the population catch this nearly at the same time.

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

My daughter is graduating from high school in May. We were planning a big party. We live in FL, and had family coming in from IA, MA, and NH. I'm pretty sure that's all gone to poo poo now. Sorry, kid, maybe we'll throw you a graduation party next year.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Yeah, I'm ddosing it

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i wore a mask to class today and it was weird. everyone seemed on edge. like they just learned about it last night?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

It just seems like such a stance guarantees that people come to work sick...

Haha it's no big deal they said don't come to work sick first, so naturally...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

B_sketchy posted:

My daughter is graduating from high school in May. We were planning a big party. We live in FL, and had family coming in from IA, MA, and NH. I'm pretty sure that's all gone to poo poo now. Sorry, kid, maybe we'll throw you a graduation party next year.

This is the way

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i wore a mask to class today and it was weird. everyone seemed on edge. like they just learned about it last night?

They probably did. There is a large segment of the population that is completely tuned out from world events in every sense. The people who have been following this for months or even weeks are rare.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just an lol

https://twitter.com/kendrajames_/status/1238160368385396737?s=21

Corona-Chan has no power over Disney.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

mrfart posted:

Apparently hackers are using a fake version of a corona virus map to spread a virus.
2016-2020 is such a loving weird tv show. Who wrote this poo poo.

CARLTON

loving

CUSE

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Pakistani politics posted:

Howdy, fellow CT goon! The 4 confirmed cases sandwiched between NYC and Massachusetts is a complete joke and a further testament to how shoddy the testing protocol / availability is.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My supermarket was full apocalypse today. Every line down every aisle.

Also lots of boomers chatting how it's ridiculous and everybody needs to just not have large gatherings for a bit, while standing in a massive line in a grocery store.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Man, if the county decides to call on me as an emergency worker I will ghost that poo poo harder than anything ever before

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/vhmichel/status/1238159424180674561?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Man, if the county decides to call on me as an emergency worker I will ghost that poo poo harder than anything ever before

Same. My old ambulance agency asked if I wanted to come back to cover some shifts since they just sent two people home for possible coronavirus and I was like “lol nope”.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Maybe but when you see someone up close and in person wearing a mask it tends to make it real. Versus just reading about it online all day.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tom hanks, America's actor, made it real

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Yep, it wouldn’t load at all for me and when it did the last update time is shown as 9:30 EST :tinfoil:

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So my girlfriend (a Spanish citizen) and I flew to Spain on Monday to go on a two week road trip all over the country and eventually attend the Firres Festival in Valencia for her birthday (tomorrow). We booked this trip in October and since things hadn't gotten too crazy back home in San Francisco we decided to roll the dice and go through with it. Well as we all know the poo poo hit the fan just as we arrived. Firres was cancelled and all public gatherings in the county were prohibited. We drove from Barcelona to Madrid over the last couple days and after a night of heavy drinking on Gran Via woke up this morning to news of the travel ban. We realized that since she's on a H1 visa that she would be barred from entry to the US as of midnight Friday. We booked the only flight we could find to the US that would get her through customs in time which is to NYC via Moscow. Once there we have no idea how we're getting back to SF but for now we're just attacking one problem at a time. We have friends puting us up Friday night in Brooklyn but from there we're winging out. Luckily we're both on vacation from work until the 26th. I'm currently having a beer in the Madrid airport hoping our flight to Russia doesn't get canceled and that we don't get thrown into a quarantine death camp at JFK. May you live in interesting times indeed.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
There's a fake version of the John's Hopkins map that's scrubbing the real data so it looks legit but Is a malware attack vector so I wouldn't be surprised if they're scrambling to figure out how to lock it down so there's less confusion about what one won't give your computer corona

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

James Woods posted:

So my girlfriend (a Spanish citizen) and I flew to Spain on Monday to go on a two week road trip all over the country and eventually attend the Firres Festival in Valencia for her birthday (tomorrow). We booked this trip in October and since things hadn't gotten too crazy back home in San Francisco we decided to roll the dice and go through with it. Well as we all know the poo poo hit the fan just as we arrived. Firres was cancelled and all public gatherings in the county were prohibited. We drove from Barcelona to Madrid over the last couple days and after a night of heavy drinking on Gran Via woke up this morning to news of the travel ban. We realized that since she's on a H1 visa that she would be barred from entry to the US as of midnight Friday. We booked the only flight we could find to the US that would get her through customs in time which is to NYC via Moscow. Once there we have no idea how we're getting back to SF but for now we're just attacking one problem at a time. We have friends puting us up Friday night in Brooklyn but from there we're winging out. Luckily we're both on vacation from work until the 26th. I'm currently having a beer in the Madrid airport hoping our flight to Russia doesn't get canceled and that we don't get thrown into a quarantine death camp at JFK. May you live in interesting times indeed.

go into quarantine and stay in for 14 days dipshit

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

So that's a weird turn

Meanwhile, in the seattle thread....

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032541&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1002#post503204118

Verman posted:

Meanwhile, my coworker has made the rounds on the news interviews and her story is everywhere. The Seattle Flu study (where she was tested) was testing for covid without any authorization from the CDC and in a research capacity vs clinical. Her statement is that "SFS told me that their positive tests were also testing positive at the Health Department ..." but never specifically said she was confirmed to have Covid by the health department/CDC.

The Seattle Flu Study was forced to stop testing for Covid this week, meanwhile my coworker never received her confirmation from the Seattle Health Department or CDC before going on her victory lap through the media this week as a "COVID SURVIVOR".

Verman posted:

My coworker was just on MSNBC live. Give me a loving break. She said this in an interview just yesterday.

"I finally got a phone call from one of the research coordinators on Saturday (March 7), telling me that 'You have tested positive for COVID-19,'" she said.

"I was a little bit pleasantly surprised, because I thought it was a little bit cool," Schneider admitted, laughing, though her mother cried when she told her.

A little bit cool? To get a virus that's killing people? If this isn't all one giant attention grab them I don't know what is.

lol

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’m in retail, front-facing healthcare and have had some of the worst patient AND fellow industry worker interactions this week than I’ve had in a while, and it’s daily. People are freaked out and instead of admitting “I’m scared and don’t know what to do, please help” they scream and blame and antagonize us because we’re the ones in front of them. I won’t be getting time off, I’ll be getting exposed daily.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

James Woods posted:

At the rate things are collapsing, ya'll are gonna be in quarantine in Moscow. I'm so very sorry!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

poverty goat posted:

I have the sniffles and an itchy throat but today is also the first day I've seen the sheen of heavy pollen on the swamp water so that's perfectly normal through June or so. Which is to say, I'm spreading this motherfucker everywhere I go until the fever kicks in.

I’ve been having eye and sinus irritation lately and apparently we’re already getting pollen here in NC. Some of the trees outside my window are already showing that ugly yellow-green.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

James Woods posted:

I understand you are upset about the ruined plans but infecting Russia and all your friends as payback is pretty hosed up.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You see one old fart coughing and people flee from the immediate vicinity, I love it

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've had several disease-related thoughts over the past few days.

1. My father was in a VA care center for the past year or so. He had Alzheimer's Disease. He died in early February of what the doctors officially said was pneumonia (unknown organism). I'm sure that the chances are slim it was coronavirus, but I wonder what the odds are?

2. I'm approaching retirement age, and my retirement accounts are getting hammered thanks to the stock marker freefall. I guess I'll be working a few years longer than anticipated. (Yes, I am technically a boomer. Take that for what you will.)

3. My school has not shut down, but we have been getting loads of emails from the online sources we use about how to set up lessons for student to access and turn in while the school is closed. Even though the district office has not made any official announcements, loads of people are worried.

4. Since I love thinking about conspiracy theories, I'm wondering what the chances are that Jeff Bezos engineered this disease to put the final nail in the coffin of brick-and-mortar stores. Everybody will be afraid to go shopping, for fear of being exposed, so they buy stuff from Amazon. The Amazon warehouses will be totally populated with robots, keeping the human factor to a minimum. Brick-and-mortar stores go out of business, ensuring that Amazon gets even more business. Eventually, all physical stores go out of business, and all merchandise is delivered either by courier or robot. Maybe the conspiracy is between Amazon and Grubhub. Not sure. I have to give this more thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lots of people itt wouldn't help their friend hide a body/ escape quarantine, smdh