Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being in America seems to mean doing math constantly what with the unstated sales tax and tipping and what not.

I haven't done math in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Master Twig posted:

I believe one of the main reasons that stores don't mark items by price after sales tax is that sales tax can vary greatly from place to place.

The shop knows what the final price is or they wouldn't be able to charge the correct amount at checkout. It would be absolutely trivial to print that instead of the pre-tax price.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Because rolls can be different sizes, and when you compare one type to another you want to compare apples to apples, so you use weight.

They're not different enough to really matter. If you're counting calories being off by 5% or whatever isn't a huge deal(especially as it should even out over time). And if that were the reason then why do potato chips, and similar, often list it as per 18 chips or the like? It's just madness intended to obfuscate the values. Also strategically selected because they're allowed to round to varying degrees depending on the market so they pick a serving size that allows them to round in the most disingenuous way.

Ideally, in my opinion, they'd be required to list the nutritional info for the entire package for any packaged goods. I can estimate I ate 1/3 of the bag of chips reasonably enough, I'm not going to bother trying to measure out 18 "average sized", whatever that means, chips, measure their weight and measure the weight of what I ate all to figure it out. Or have to convert the frozen pizza from the 1/6th of a pizza they always list it as to the 1/8th that I cut it into.

Then again if I had my way we'd start using joules and retire the needlessly ambiguous calorie. And the gram would be the basic unit of mass instead of the kilogram cuz wtf. Unfortunately no one asked me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Spek posted:

Ideally, in my opinion, they'd be required to list the nutritional info for the entire package for any packaged goods.
Oh my god, do they not even have to do that in America? Like, not only do they not list the values per 100g like in every reasonable country (or whatever stupid measurement that equates to in American), but they don't even tell you what the entire pack is? You have to look at the servings per pack and the nutritional value per serving then multiply? Just burn your stupid country to the ground. Literally everything you do is dumber than a normal person could even imagine.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I'm actually in Canada but no we don't do that here(or at least it isn't required, some packages do), I'm pretty sure the states are the same.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I thought the states now had to label the value of a whole package 'if a whole package could be reasonably assumed to be a serving'? I thought this happened when they made the calorie count real big and bold

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

I thought the states now had to label the value of a whole package 'if a whole package could be reasonably assumed to be a serving'? I thought this happened when they made the calorie count real big and bold
Yeah, it's on smaller bags of, say, Cheetos. X amount in a serving, 2.5x in the whole bag.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, it's on smaller bags of, say, Cheetos. X amount in a serving, 2.5x in the whole bag.

Fuckin fda doesn't believe in me about eating a jumbo bag of cheetos in one sitting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

The shop knows what the final price is or they wouldn't be able to charge the correct amount at checkout. It would be absolutely trivial to print that instead of the pre-tax price.

If a chain of supermarkets operates in several different tax zones, it would be more expensive for them to print out multiple price placards for each product. Like any good business, they save money by placing the onus on their customers to do the work of figuring out what things are going to cost for them, and just have the point of sale computer calculate the final price on checkout.

:capitalism:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Caveat emptor

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Memento posted:

If a chain of supermarkets operates in several different tax zones, it would be more expensive for them to print out multiple price placards for each product. Like any good business, they save money by placing the onus on their customers to do the work of figuring out what things are going to cost for them, and just have the point of sale computer calculate the final price on checkout.

I forget where it is in the country, but there is a department store somewhere in America that sits on the border of two different tax areas, each with different sales tax. Depending on which register you go to to pay you will have a different price for the same item. The technical term for this in regards to tax is “some dumb poo poo”.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Memento posted:

If a chain of supermarkets operates in several different tax zones, it would be more expensive for them to print out multiple price placards for each product.

every time i've ever worked retail we have printed our own price signs out at store level on store computers and printers. the information therein comes from the home office but the actual production is done locally at the very store where those signs will be placed. it would not increase costs to print multiple price placards because they are printing an individual price placard for each item in each location anyway. they're not served by a centralized price placard printer.

it's LAZINESS. it would be more expensive to PAY PEOPLE TO CHANGE THE WAY THINGS ARE DONE. that's all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't you have digital price tags in America?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Don't you have digital price tags in America?
In some stores (I know Kohl's uses them), but they're absolutely not widespread.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
You would only see actual change by mandating it, anyway, since a store that included the tax in the price would look more expensive than one that doesn’t. It’s like when a department store stopped doing the artificial sales on stuff they marked up and saw customers go to competitors over price-even though the clothes cost the same.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

InediblePenguin posted:

it would not increase costs ... it would be more expensive

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When sites and services are so desperate for premium/subscribing users that instead of actually developing new features, or reasons for supporting them, they just dismantle the platform piece by piece and make more and more aspects of it pay-only.

Of course, you also have services like PocketCasts where they just add poo poo nobody wants, and changes their pay-once-own-forever product into a subscription that costs as much for 1 year as buying it forever used to be.
They're especially egregious in that the app is free on android and iOS, but they wanted 10 dollars for their desktop compatible website.

Fine, I guess that's one way to support them.
Then they turned it into a ~12.5-15 usd/year subscription, because they crammed in 10GB of cloud storage. And thus turned the product I originally bought into a forced subscription.
(Atleast they gave users 3 years of free use, but the moment that runs out it's basically like having to rebuy the product I originally owned 1.5 times a year after that. )

It's just so loving tedious.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

can you loving read? "this one specific thing you're blaming wouldn't raise costs. THIS OTHER THING would be more expensive." it's not "printing multiple copies of the price tags" that would raise costs, as alleged. it's bothering to pay someone to rewrite the software that generates the tags at the stores. the cost of printing the price tags, themselves, would not be changed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

InediblePenguin posted:

can you loving read? "this one specific thing you're blaming wouldn't raise costs. THIS OTHER THING would be more expensive." it's not "printing multiple copies of the price tags" that would raise costs, as alleged. it's bothering to pay someone to rewrite the software that generates the tags at the stores. the cost of printing the price tags, themselves, would not be changed.

Ok wow this is something to totally have a pedantic meltdown over, cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Dancing to be “funny”

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When the socioeconomic systems of fantasy worlds don't make sense. Oh, I'm just supposed to blindly accept the numbers you're throwing at me that make absolutely no sense and ignore the fact that none of the people who live in this village could afford to buy anything from the local shops, am I? I am? I should just go kill the goblins or whatever? No. gently caress you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wait, why are these goblins even raiding the village? This is apparently a recent development, but the extent of their construction and their numbers suggest they've been here for ages, so what changed? And why are we all just assuming the goblins are the bad guys here? They've obviously been living peacefully alongside the humans for who knows how long, so it clearly can't be the case that they're just violent and aggressive by nature or this would've happened as soon as the two settlements discovered each other. Why can't I go talk to the goblins and get their side of the story?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

When the socioeconomic systems of fantasy worlds don't make sense. Oh, I'm just supposed to blindly accept the numbers you're throwing at me that make absolutely no sense and ignore the fact that none of the people who live in this village could afford to buy anything from the local shops, am I? I am? I should just go kill the goblins or whatever? No. gently caress you.

Kind of like Hollywood, where the waitress in NYC who makes $2.90 an hour plus tips lives in a $3,000 a month loft apartment.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Memento posted:

Ok wow this is something to totally have a pedantic meltdown over, cool.

you have really low standards for "meltdowns" but as long as you're entertained with yourself, whatever

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Package tracking that doesn't actually tell you anything useful. Or maybe does, but in some incomprehensible jargon?

I'm looking at this tracking information right now and I can't tell if this package is going to arrive today or if it's just sitting somewhere. Why are "picked up" and "in transit" two distinct stages? Once it's picked up, doesn't that mean it's in transit? What does "freight processed" mean? Apparently it's part of the "in transit" stage, but I don't know what that means either. I can see it's moved from Narre Warren to the CBD, but there's no estimate of when it's actually going to arrive at my house, and no indication of whether it's currently moving or not. I want to go to the shops, but if it is on its way here now I don't want to miss it and have to reschedule. I would honestly have been better off if I had no tracking information at all because I would have gone out earlier and been home again by now. :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe the distinction is for stuff like the truck breaking down. They load the stuff onto the truck, so it's "Picked Up", but then they find out that the truck isn't moving so it isn't yet "In transit"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Maybe the distinction is for stuff like the truck breaking down. They load the stuff onto the truck, so it's "Picked Up", but then they find out that the truck isn't moving so it isn't yet "In transit"
The company I bought it from said it would be delivered by Tuesday at the latest, but I phoned the courier up and they told me the package is currently sitting at the depot and will be until at least Tuesday. And their website still says it's "in transit" which, as far as I can tell, is just a lie? The retailer paid for 3-5 business day delivery, so the courier is just going to store it for three-and-a-half days. :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Could it be related to the coronavirus thing, like they're trying to minimise the number of trips so waiting til the tail end of the delivery period to get as many packages as possible in one shipment to reduce exposure? Or am I just being too charitable?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

BioEnchanted posted:

Could it be related to the coronavirus thing, like they're trying to minimise the number of trips so waiting til the tail end of the delivery period to get as many packages as possible in one shipment to reduce exposure? Or am I just being too charitable?

Way too charitable; that's standard operating procedure for shipping companies.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Saving trips is done to save money, not out of any concern for the employees

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
If we deliver economy packages as fast as possible nobody pays for the premium service :(

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tiggum posted:

Package tracking that doesn't actually tell you anything useful. Or maybe does, but in some incomprehensible jargon?

I'm looking at this tracking information right now and I can't tell if this package is going to arrive today or if it's just sitting somewhere. Why are "picked up" and "in transit" two distinct stages? Once it's picked up, doesn't that mean it's in transit? What does "freight processed" mean? Apparently it's part of the "in transit" stage, but I don't know what that means either. I can see it's moved from Narre Warren to the CBD, but there's no estimate of when it's actually going to arrive at my house, and no indication of whether it's currently moving or not. I want to go to the shops, but if it is on its way here now I don't want to miss it and have to reschedule. I would honestly have been better off if I had no tracking information at all because I would have gone out earlier and been home again by now. :argh:

Here's how it works.
The driver picks up the package, that's a physical scan. That means he/she actually touched it and scanned the bar code or thumbprint.
Then it goes to "the sort". This puts it on the right truck, train, plane, etc. This is also a physical scan.
From there it will go through "in transit" scans that are logical. That means they know what truck it's on and they scan the whole truck. If it's UPS, it will stop by "cache" Illinois when it crosses the country. That will often be a physical scan as it's put on a new truck.
Once it hits the delivery center, it receives another logical scan. Afterwards, it goes "out for delivery". This is a physical scan. If they can't deliver, it will go back to the center and receive another physical scan.

If you're worried about the package, get the phone number of the center itself and call them and ask where your package is. They'll know. You might have to dig a bit to get the phone number, but you'll find it. If you call the center, they answer, they won't be mad. Sometimes it's as easy as the phone book to get their phone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Here's how it works.
The driver picks up the package, that's a physical scan. That means he/she actually touched it and scanned the bar code or thumbprint.
Then it goes to "the sort". This puts it on the right truck, train, plane, etc. This is also a physical scan.
From there it will go through "in transit" scans that are logical. That means they know what truck it's on and they scan the whole truck. If it's UPS, it will stop by "cache" Illinois when it crosses the country. That will often be a physical scan as it's put on a new truck.
Once it hits the delivery center, it receives another logical scan. Afterwards, it goes "out for delivery". This is a physical scan. If they can't deliver, it will go back to the center and receive another physical scan.

If you're worried about the package, get the phone number of the center itself and call them and ask where your package is. They'll know. You might have to dig a bit to get the phone number, but you'll find it. If you call the center, they answer, they won't be mad. Sometimes it's as easy as the phone book to get their phone.
I know where it is. It's in a depot in the CBD. That doesn't really help me. What I need to know is when it's actually going to arrive at my house, which they can't/won't tell me. It might show up on the tracking information at some point, but I don't know what phrase/information to look out for because they use their own jargon rather than plain English. The issue isn't how it works, it's that the information they provide is misleading and incomplete.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
When you save files to your desktop in Windows it places them top to bottom, left to right. When you mark them using shift (click first item, hold shift, click last item), they get marked left to right, top to bottom.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

EDIT: I posted in the wrong thread again because I am dumb.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Apr 1, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Midig posted:

Ok. I calmed down a lot by now. Trying to get good with Reksai, but I want one decent AP jungler as a pocket pick. So the choices now are new Fiddle, Teemo or perhaps Sylas?

Oh yeah I think Fiddle is the best AD carry for the new meta, try a standard 4-4-2 build and make sure you're disengaging early to avoid getting comp stomped

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
People using the term “respirator” when they mean “ventilator”. It’s really loving annoying, they mean two completely different things that are both important right now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Beers should come in 6 packs. 4 packs of beer are loving bullshit

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Most of the beer that I buy 4 packs of is 10-12%, so it kinda evens out anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

Most of the beer that I buy 4 packs of is 10-12%, so it kinda evens out anyway.

loving BULLSHIT