Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
On that note, I recently had a problem on my server where a world border showed up out of nowhere and there was nothing I could do to affect it; I assumed it must have been the host collaring me due to how much space I was using due to doing backups too frequently or something. However, on a whim, I decided to sift through my config folder one more time, just to make sure it wasn't on my end before I started bitching at my host's tech support, and after some fuckery eventually figured out that Warp Drive had imposed the world border.

I was pissed off and went and shouted at the dev about how nothing mentioned that the mod would do that and it was only the fact that a number in a celestial objects definition file matched the dimensions of the world border that I suspected it was the cause. And the dev replied with:

quote:

I understand you're unhappy from lack of understanding how celestial objects are working. Like you, I wish a decent YouTuber would make a tutorial for the mod to explain what the celestial map is for easier access.

That being said, the log and configuration files are explicitly referring to World Borders, so a simple text search should quickly point you on the right direction next time.

I get people hoping for someone like Mischief of Mice to summarise a complicated mod for them but why the gently caress would the dev wait for someone to cover the mod so they don't have to explain it themselves!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Black Pants posted:

I get people hoping for someone like Mischief of Mice to summarise a complicated mod for them but why the gently caress would the dev wait for someone to cover the mod so they don't have to explain it themselves!?

Documentation is hard.

No, seriously, documentation is hard- organizing information in a format that is

presentable, i.e. not actively unpleasant to read or move through
accessible, i.e. composed to actually make the person understand and not just be a pile of facts
and complete, i.e. covering every topic and item that appears

it's hard! Actual companies pay people to do just this for them! On top of which, if you're not getting paid to do it and really even if you are, it's boring work and very one-sided; people will complain all over, rightfully, about a lack of documentation but it's really rare to earn significant appreciation over just a powerful documentation*.

For a bunch of mod creators who just want to play around with code shenanigans, or post a cool new feature to their reddit to earn some more patreon subs so they can pay rent, documentation is rarely a focus- especially if you believe you can get a youtuber to do it for you so you don't have to spend the effort.

* - ironically because of all the bad documentation minecraft's the one common exception to this, though it does have to be very good documentation like Thaumcraft's book. However, Minecraft is also the most normalized to 'just get a youtuber to do it.' in summary, minecraft modding is a land of contrasts

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Documentation is hard" is a pretty non-controversial statement, but "Documentation is hard" in response to "Why didn't you mention your mod places a world border on the overworld, making it one of exactly two things that exist that place a world border on the overworld, the other of which is the addon called World Border?" is pretty lame.

The idea that someone would come across a world border at 5k out and think, "poo poo how did this get here? Better do a search-in-files of my config folder for 'world border'. Oh a Celestial Objects XML file talking about defining the size of planets in space and their orbit? That makes complete sense." is quite a loving reach, and to expect that instead of writing, "By default this places a 10k world border on your overworld, look in this file to alter that." is ridiculous.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 7, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why the gently caress would a mod like that put a border in the overworld anyway?? Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Haha that's awesome!

I have no standards for Minecraft mod documentation because that just fits in perfectly with the culture of the game it's modding.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I will always be angry that modders decided that some breathless nerd talking for 45 minutes is a better way to get information across than a wiki I can scan for the single thing I need to know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Or some ingame guide maybe.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Ha, a loading screen tip popped up for me yesterday that said something along the line of "be respectful to mod developers" but it's easy to see why they cop poo poo when they do stuff like this.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm gonna be cross posting a steam thread, but is there a mod or game that turns minecraft into basically Factorio, with conveyor belts, complicated crafting trees, and the constant need of defenses from things that want to kill you? I want a reason to build a base that isn't just "I need a place to hold my digiminer and my Refined Storage system." I want there to be waves of block destroying (not like super fast, but enough that I need to not just ignore the mobs,) creatures that get progressively harder as I skill up, but minecraft combat is crap so I guess I want automated turrets and a reason to want to fill them?

I guess I just want a first person factorio that's 3D, but also that isn't Satisfactory (which has no reason for defenses or to kill anything.)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm gonna be cross posting a steam thread, but is there a mod or game that turns minecraft into basically Factorio, with conveyor belts, complicated crafting trees, and the constant need of defenses from things that want to kill you? I want a reason to build a base that isn't just "I need a place to hold my digiminer and my Refined Storage system." I want there to be waves of block destroying (not like super fast, but enough that I need to not just ignore the mobs,) creatures that get progressively harder as I skill up, but minecraft combat is crap so I guess I want automated turrets and a reason to want to fill them?

I guess I just want a first person factorio that's 3D, but also that isn't Satisfactory (which has no reason for defenses or to kill anything.)

Ever try FortressCraft Evolved? It's pretty much all of that, but it's also fairly janky and with some loving weird controls. Also the dev quit working on it and declared it 'complete'.

Might be just what you're looking for.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Ever try FortressCraft Evolved? It's pretty much all of that, but it's also fairly janky and with some loving weird controls. Also the dev quit working on it and declared it 'complete'.

That seems pretty close to a minecraft and factorio combination, but you can't really build fortifications (despite the name) because the bugs fly over your walls. That said, they are apparently more of a source of loot drops than anything else since even if your core structure is destroyed it just respawns after a while. There's no losing condition.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

McFrugal posted:

even if your core structure is destroyed it just respawns after a while. There's no losing condition.

Unless you play on the Ironman difficulty.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Unless you play on the Ironman difficulty.

Oh? Well alright then.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Craft of the Titans kinda gets flack for being essentially like that.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Not sure whether to post this here or in the main minecraft thread, I am looking for some kinda mod or tool that let's me mess with world generation and biome spawns. Basically, I want to create an area that is guaranteed to have every vanilla biome inside of it. Me and a friend were playing that Pixelmon mod way back and the search for specific biomes kinda got on our nerves, especially when you try to find like a single desert biome and end up finding nothing but forests forever.

Best case would be a way to tell the game to spawn everything inside a pre-determined radius and just create oceans around it or something. Since I doubt something like that exists, maybe a tool that lets you "paint" a biome generation map which the game then uses during world generation would be nice as well. At least that way I can also try and be a bit creative with how everything is placed.

Hope somebody here has some experience and can me help out on how I could best make this work.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Greader posted:

Not sure whether to post this here or in the main minecraft thread, I am looking for some kinda mod or tool that let's me mess with world generation and biome spawns. Basically, I want to create an area that is guaranteed to have every vanilla biome inside of it. Me and a friend were playing that Pixelmon mod way back and the search for specific biomes kinda got on our nerves, especially when you try to find like a single desert biome and end up finding nothing but forests forever.

Best case would be a way to tell the game to spawn everything inside a pre-determined radius and just create oceans around it or something. Since I doubt something like that exists, maybe a tool that lets you "paint" a biome generation map which the game then uses during world generation would be nice as well. At least that way I can also try and be a bit creative with how everything is placed.

Hope somebody here has some experience and can me help out on how I could best make this work.

You don't need a mod for that just make a world with seed "-5541185355023925660"
https://www.gameskinny.com/dcg2f/top-8-minecraft-seeds-with-all-biomes-in-close-proximity

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
An alternative is Nature's Compass - it essentially works like the vanilla compass, except you can set it to point to any biome you want.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

You don't need a mod for that just make a world with seed "-5541185355023925660"
https://www.gameskinny.com/dcg2f/top-8-minecraft-seeds-with-all-biomes-in-close-proximity

Thanks, as well as thanks to MaliciousOnion for that compass mod. Quick question though, will having mods alter the biome generation? I think at least that Pixelmon does not add any new biomes, so my guess would be that it should be fine but as you can imagine I am not an expert on these kinda things

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Greader posted:

Thanks, as well as thanks to MaliciousOnion for that compass mod. Quick question though, will having mods alter the biome generation? I think at least that Pixelmon does not add any new biomes, so my guess would be that it should be fine but as you can imagine I am not an expert on these kinda things

It shouldn't (unless you have a biome specific mod). But if you want to be extra sure you can create the world in vanilla and load it up once you install the mods.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rutibex posted:

This looks super useful, thanks.

Though I do like the idea of a continent with all biomes on it, if anyone knows of something like that.
Most of my time not spent in the area I settle is just looking for a specific biome for things.
Like a desert, jungle or mesa if I hadn't settled there.
So having they all in fairly 'close' proximity would rock.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Anybody have any cool Skyblock-style (or just cool in general) modpacks for a guy that's running Minecraft with only 3.6 gigs of RAM available? I've been playing Sky Odyssey, and EMC is super cool, but I'm in the mod for something a little more exploration minded.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Ambaire posted:

how about one that's just the base game with factorio stuff but without the constant horde of enemies? What if I just wanna build cool factories and supply chains?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably want the Omnifactory modpack for that

gregtech without some of the bullshit. still a lot of the bullshit though

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Marzzle posted:

how about one that's just the base game with factorio stuff but without the constant horde of enemies? What if I just wanna build cool factories and supply chains?

Honestly Ultimate Alchemy isn't a *terrible* suggestion for this sort of thing, although it's not exactly what you're asking for.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

probably want the Omnifactory modpack for that

gregtech without some of the bullshit. still a lot of the bullshit though

Is that turd still around? What's the last version he's supporting? IC was bad enough before he slapped GT over top of it.

(DISCLAIMER: I have been out of the Minecraft PC game since 2014. The last major modpack I played was among the early renditions of Tekkit, and MachineMuse Modular Power Suits was still a thing :v:)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

D34THROW posted:

Is that turd still around? What's the last version he's supporting? IC was bad enough before he slapped GT over top of it.

(DISCLAIMER: I have been out of the Minecraft PC game since 2014. The last major modpack I played was among the early renditions of Tekkit, and MachineMuse Modular Power Suits was still a thing :v:)

I dunno if the original greg is still around, but there's a 1.12 "community version" that's a loose clone of the original, written by other people.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

D34THROW posted:

Modular Powersuits was a great mod

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Going to be mostly quarentined, don't have a gaming computer, but found out about mcedit and thought "hm maybe mods would be fun if I could build stuff out of game mode instead of having Al these cool things to do but being unable to do anything until my character builds a giant room for them one block at a time"

However, have tried two modpacks launched from multimc and something weird is going on. They sort of launch and there's sound but there is no window. Work computer is a high end Dell machine with an Nvidia graphics card

This is not the first time something like this has happened, where should I go for help. I eventually want to buy a gaming laptop and I might as well figure out what's going on now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Going to be mostly quarentined, don't have a gaming computer, but found out about mcedit and thought "hm maybe mods would be fun if I could build stuff out of game mode instead of having Al these cool things to do but being unable to do anything until my character builds a giant room for them one block at a time"

However, have tried two modpacks launched from multimc and something weird is going on. They sort of launch and there's sound but there is no window. Work computer is a high end Dell machine with an Nvidia graphics card

This is not the first time something like this has happened, where should I go for help. I eventually want to buy a gaming laptop and I might as well figure out what's going on now.

You are going to need to troubleshoot this problem. First figure out if the issue is the packs you selected. Try some other packs and if they don't work you know its a problem with the launcher. Next try the Twitch Launcher, if that doesn't work than you can assume there is a problem with your computer itself, etc.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I got a new comp back in Nov. I had been on a lovely laptop since 2011 and now that the rage of playing all the games I've missed in the last 10 yrs has slowed down I've finally reinstalled Minecraft.
I was really hoping that MultiMC would have come around in my absence, jerks.
Had to reinstall Twitch for a newer modpack. Even on a new computer its a pile of crap. Horrid on a slow laptop.

But I wanted a newer 14.4 modpack because I like the newer updates.
Also this is the first I've even been able to run shaders, so nice.

Been playing the Modernized pack, which is decent because it has a lot of mods I've never used before like Silents Mechanism for grinders and such.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/modernized

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My first thought on that, then, is to check and make sure your computer doesn't think there's another monitor attached and is trying to launch it to that screen. Does it show up as a window in Alt+Tab? You can try right-clicking the task bar and selecting "cascade windows" to bring it back to the main screen or select the program on the task bar and Windows key + left/right arrow to try to get it back.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D34THROW posted:

MachineMuse Modular Power Suits was still a thing :v:)

Rutibex posted:

Modular Powersuits was a great mod

:ssh: It still is.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/modular-powersuits/files

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

taiyoko posted:

My first thought on that, then, is to check and make sure your computer doesn't think there's another monitor attached and is trying to launch it to that screen. Does it show up as a window in Alt+Tab? You can try right-clicking the task bar and selecting "cascade windows" to bring it back to the main screen or select the program on the task bar and Windows key + left/right arrow to try to get it back.

this is what actually worked

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Not MachineMuse anymore though! :v: I think I'm going to take the time to break mod open and read the code like I've been meaning to do with a mod for years. I hope it's not obfuscated.

Reminds me, I take it the mod API never happened and they're still changing the obfuscation every version and that's leading to mod incompatibility? :notch:

EDIT: Goddammit, I forgot compiled != source.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 13, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

D34THROW posted:

Not MachineMuse anymore though! :v: I think I'm going to take the time to break mod open and read the code like I've been meaning to do with a mod for years. I hope it's not obfuscated.

Reminds me, I take it the mod API never happened and they're still changing the obfuscation every version and that's leading to mod incompatibility? :notch:

Forge is the modding API

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

D34THROW posted:

The mod API sort of happened with the advent of datapacks.

Which still sometimes break across versions.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like 1% complete. :P

For someone with ADHD this is a lot of work. :negative:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 15, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Like 1% complete. :P

For someone with ADHD this is a lot of work. :negative:

What are you doing, playing Regrowth? Porting Regrowth to a later version of minecraft?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

What are you doing, playing Regrowth? Porting Regrowth to a later version of minecraft?

Making my own pack, heavily inspired by Regrowth. It's my own story and progression and work and such, but it's supposed to 'feel' like Regrowth.

I started making it before but was unhappy with my progress and wanted to redo everything and made a new world to work with featuring ridiculously deep oceans (which was an unimaginable pain in the rear end to do). But now it can be kinda Regrowth meets Subnautica meets post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

McFrugal posted:

Nice! Hope you stick with it.

Thanks, I hope I can too. I don't know if others will dig the finished product but thinking about my ideas excites me at least.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Making my own pack, heavily inspired by Regrowth. It's my own story and progression and work and such, but it's supposed to 'feel' like Regrowth.

I started making it before but was unhappy with my progress and wanted to redo everything and made a new world to work with featuring ridiculously deep oceans (which was an unimaginable pain in the rear end to do).

Nice! Hope you stick with it.