Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Wibla posted:

This is a blessing in disguise.

Nope, I ended up getting routed through SeaTac and ugh

I'm traveling to move a site network and infrastructure on two days notice, this will surely go well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

duz posted:

As it turns out nothing he said in his speech was what they are going to do and it all has been walked back.

What did I just say?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What did I just say?

Since when did you own the thread? Jesus calm the gently caress down already.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Since when did you own the thread? Jesus calm the gently caress down already.

Do you realize I'm a mod of this subforum? I do have the right to set allowed topics. This is not the place for American political posts. Take that to D&D, C-SPAM, or elsewhere. Thank you.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you realize I'm a mod of this subforum? I do have the right to set allowed topics. This is not the place for American political posts. Take that to D&D, C-SPAM, or elsewhere. Thank you.

Just dropping in to say you’re an rear end in a top hat.

See ya.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there any worldwide internet performance stats? THE INTENRET is slow this morning so I'm blaming the masses WFH

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Are there any worldwide internet performance stats? THE INTENRET is slow this morning so I'm blaming the masses WFH

Anecdotally similar results, even off VPN. I was thinking about whether this would have a meaningful impact on the overall network given global impact, kind of interesting to consider.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Does anyone here have any experience with or opinion on Rippling (http://www.rippling.com)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Podima posted:

Anecdotally similar results, even off VPN. I was thinking about whether this would have a meaningful impact on the overall network given global impact, kind of interesting to consider.

I was thinking if the internet can run Netflix all night, VPN's should be any worse

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wonder which firewall vendor is going to be the first to offer free VPN client licenses that are valid for the next month, to buy some PR points

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

What did I just say?

I mean in his defense it's always a bit hard to understand you through the thick Canadian accent.

eh?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Thanks Ants posted:

I wonder which firewall vendor is going to be the first to offer free VPN client licenses that are valid for the next month, to buy some PR points

I wonder which AV vendor is going to go for the obvious and extremely tasteless PR opportunity.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo, why? Aren't you like super young? Just let that poo poo ride.

I want off this crazy ride. I'm too late though. It crashed again today. A lot of my stuff is now worth less than what I had bought it for and I'm not taking it well. What if it doesn't come back and the companies behind my indexes fail in the next recession.

What if my company starts downsizing in the next few months and I get cut just right before my RSU cliff.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://youtu.be/4sJY7BTIuPY

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

I want off this crazy ride. I'm too late though. It crashed again today. A lot of my stuff is now worth less than what I had bought it for and I'm not taking it well. What if it doesn't come back and the companies behind my indexes fail in the next recession.

What if my company starts downsizing in the next few months and I get cut just right before my RSU cliff.

I mean, yeah, welcome to adulthood. How do you think people who are retired and relying on that investment to get them through each month are feeling? Or people who are about to retire?

poo poo sucks. Bad things are bad. This is why it's good to reduce the occurrence and impact of bad things.

The good news is that bad things that affect everyone are more likely to get attention from "the system." Right now we're at the everyone take a deep breath stage. So try to do that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the market is a gamble not a retirement plan, hope this helps

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
If US politics triggered such a... firm reaction, seems like investment chat should be redirected elsewhere as well.

We have the BFC subforum which would happily explain to all of us why every computer toucher below the age of 40 should be praying for a huge market crash (because you'll be a net buyer for 20+ years and you want to buy as cheaply as possible).

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

CLAM DOWN posted:

With a name like CLAM DOWN, maybe you should consider....being calm? Lol

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What did I just say?

Sir, please, CLAM DOWN

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What did I just say?

:flaccid:

Oh dear.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Methanar posted:

Don't touch your investments, this poo poo will bounce back in the next 6 months, the market is still higher than it was in early 2018.

This is a good thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I have the right!!!! Order!!! Order I say!!!! I will shoot you all like dogs for defying me!!!!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MF_James posted:

Don't touch your investments, this poo poo will bounce back in the next 6 months, the market is still higher than it was in early 2018.

This is a good thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't - anything can happen in 6 months. But if investing consistently in the market for 20 or 30 years isn't the best course of action there will likely be bigger issues than your retirement income.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MF_James posted:

Global warming is in full effect: either we fix it and accept the economic long term consequences or we do nothing and destroy the planet and pay far worse in 20 years
Oil is dead. We literally cannot even use our known reserves without blowing through our carbon budget by a factor of 3x to stay under like 5C warming.
Natural disasters are going to be intensifying further burdening insurance industries and the negative effects that has on insurance rates and the broader economy
US bonds are about to start paying negative interest.
Global health pandemics are here and nobody is prepared for them.

My grocery stores have been sold out of toilet paper and toilet paper substitutes for over a week now.
Now the soup and pasta aisles are emptying out.

The supply chain problems caused by China shutting down are now here. btw most medicine is manufactured in china.

It's not going to get better in 6 months.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone actively trying to :yotj: right now?

I have a pending job offer (healthcare IT) to move back across the country, to an area that is experiencing an outbreak. Dealing with a bunch of cool tech, and WFH options, and a great team. I'm worried all this excitement is going to toss a wrinkle in things.

Off to shop for a bidet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There is no chance in hell I'm going to jump ship from my position as a state employee considering the storm on the horizon.

I guess it all depends on whether you think your new employment is more recession proof than your current one.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Methanar posted:

Global warming is in full effect: either we fix it and accept the economic long term consequences or we do nothing and destroy the planet and pay far worse in 20 years
Oil is dead. We literally cannot even use our known reserves without blowing through our carbon budget by a factor of 3x to stay under like 5C warming.
Natural disasters are going to be intensifying further burdening insurance industries and the negative effects that has on insurance rates and the broader economy
US bonds are about to start paying negative interest.
Global health pandemics are here and nobody is prepared for them.

My grocery stores have been sold out of toilet paper and toilet paper substitutes for over a week now.
Now the soup and pasta aisles are emptying out.

The supply chain problems caused by China shutting down are now here. btw most medicine is manufactured in china.

Oh come on with this alarmist nonsense.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Methanar posted:

You want to do a :toxx: bet on toilet paper availability in 6 months?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can solve the crisis by installing a $30 bidet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Tomorrow is a company-wide work-from-home, we're "beta testing" the concept and considering transitioning to that as default work mode if Boston gets hosed. I loving hope so.

We're primarily an outbound sales call-center, we do 98% of our work from Office 365, Zoom, and Slack.

No on-prem infrastructure at all, so there's nothing to VPN to. The company is 100% laptops and they're all joined to Azure AD, not to a domain. All user directories are auto-synced to OneDrive.

I'm trying to think of what issues we could even have. So far the only bumps have been that many people want to bring their second monitor home with them because they don't want to work exclusively on the laptop screens (I'm sure they will break them in transit) and also I anticipate logging in from home will trigger a lot more Microsoft MFA checks than normal so maybe some people won't have their personal smartphones entered into the MFA (some might use the voice option to their desk phones).

Anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just encourage everybody to pile into a chat so that they can solve each other's problems rather than opening a ticket for everything

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hughmoris posted:

I have a pending job offer (healthcare IT) to move back across the country, to an area that is experiencing an outbreak. Dealing with a bunch of cool tech, and WFH options, and a great team. I'm worried all this excitement is going to toss a wrinkle in things.

Off to shop for a bidet.

Yup and interviewing internationally is a massive pain in the balls right now, since I'm located in Europe and all companies I'm interviewing with have cancelled any onsite interviews because of Boomerplague. Actually, the country I'm in now has cancelled international travel to most affected in Europe.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh come on with this alarmist nonsense.

I have two roles of toilet paper left. When is the right time to start panicking. Because I'm starting to think it was 2 weeks ago now that I can't buy canned soup.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Methanar posted:

I have two roles of toilet paper left. When is the right time to start panicking. Because I'm starting to think it was 2 weeks ago now that I can't buy canned soup.

Take a shower after you poop if things get dire. Its like someone you don't know how to solve problems.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Off to shop for a bidet.

Careful, if companies start laying off people being the new guy can make you an easy target.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Methanar posted:

Go buy a bidet. Seriously. Even if its just a hand-wand.

Just heard back from $prospectiveJob. Made a counter-offer, waiting to hear back but I think I'm going to take it either way. I am going to try and push the start date out as far as possible, to give time to see which way the wind is going to blow. Need to figure out what to do with $currentJob, which I greatly dislike. I'm still on orientation here, and no real projects or responsibilities. In the few months I've been here, several people have been walked out and people are fearing for their jobs. In that light, a part of me is wondering just how big of a notice I should give...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Careful, if companies start laying off people being the new guy can make you an easy target.

True. Thankfully this is at a hospital that I've worked at before, just another team. I have lots of contacts so worst case scenario I think I could hop somewhere else in the organization.

Worst worst case scenario, I go back to caring for patients at the bedside (hopefully things don't get that dire).

*For those who have never used a bidet, you're missing out on one of life's great luxuries.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 12, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

Take a shower after you poop if things get dire. Its like someone you don't know how to solve problems.

It's about the lack of availability of toilet paper and breakdown of luxuries of like 'going to the grocery store'.

It's not about my ability to generically solve the problem of getting poo poo off my rear end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm going to say it once more - if you want to talk about doomsday predictions, the stock market issues, politics, etc, there are many threads and subforums to do that in. This is the IT thread. It is for IT chat. It's not difficult. Thank you.

Methanar, you need serious help. Log off for a bit.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 12, 2020

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CLAM DOWN posted:

Methanar, you need serious help. Log off for a bit.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Dialled into a client's lovely browser -based teleconferencing app and it demanded that you grant it access to both your Mic AND your camera, even if you were only going to use it for voice. No camera, no connection.

That's bad behaviour, right?

Also, protip, sticky tape on the camera at all times and remember to wear pants.