Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
in not stupid forums drama. Jimmy Haslam is tired of people saying mean things about him

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1238197682704916481?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Shut up about Discord.

Find some dumb NFL news if you feel the need to post.

Baker Mayfield Sucks.

Jerry Jones loves the hookers.

Washington wont be able to use the internet to draft.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Athanatos posted:

Shut up about Discord.

Baker Mayfield Sucks.

Will we still be able to ask the homeless for draft advice

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Tom Brady will be a Buccaneer.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Will we still be able to ask the homeless for draft advice

Yes but only if you praise the Browns for doing so

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1238196799292076032?s=19

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I wish I knew a little more about the underlying mechanics of Retro Bowl. But so far I've noticed a few things.

1) A good DC seems to improve your defense noticeably, but you still give up tons of points even with a 5 star defense.
2) Decent QB + fast receiver is basically everything. The only time running worked decently for me was with an extremely strong running back, otherwise you almost always just eat poo poo at the LOS.
3) It seems like there's a difficulty spike baked into the game, but it's not something obvious like wining the championship. Maybe it's total wins or something. But at some point my max speed WR never gets open again on go routes out of nowhere once I've been good a while.
4) I'm not sure what having a decent OC actually does.

e: My #1 receiver has 2,600 yards and 31 touchdowns in 12 games. Last game was 9 receptions, 306 yards, 3 TDs LMAO.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 12, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Athanatos posted:

Shut up about Discord.

Baker Mayfield Sucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL Draft is done completely online. I mean, it's not like you have to have the players and the teams all in one building, right?

Stream it on Twitch!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sean10mm posted:

I wish I knew a little more about the underlying mechanics of Retro Bowl. But so far I've noticed a few things.

1) A good DC seems to improve your defense noticeably, but you still give up tons of points even with a 5 star defense.
2) Decent QB + fast receiver is basically everything. The only time running worked decently for me was with an extremely strong running back, otherwise you almost always just eat poo poo at the LOS.
3) It seems like there's a difficulty spike baked into the game, but it's not something obvious like wining the championship. Maybe it's total wins or something. But at some point my max speed WR never gets open again on go routes out of nowhere once I've been good a while.

e: My #1 receiver has 2,600 yards and 31 touchdowns in 12 games. Last game was 9 receptions, 306 yards, 3 TDs LMAO.

Screen passes to the HB for 5-15 yards every play.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sean10mm posted:

Silly Burrito posted:

Screen passes to the HB for 5-15 yards every play.

Basically. You can check down to the back on almost every play and it’ll work.

Beyond that, the comeback routes on the outside are very solid once you get the timing right. For guys going deep, they don’t need to be wide open as long as the receiver is solid and isn’t double covered. Guys with high catch ratings will jump up for the ball, and usually win contested catches. I’ve been going with 2 WR and 2 TE guys, plus a star back and QB, and it’s very easy someone to eventually get open for 5-7 yards most plays. Running is a waste of time, and defense generally just needs to hold them from a touchdown once and you’ll be set...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

Basically. You can check down to the back on almost every play and it’ll work.

Nice to see Alex Smith got into game design while his leg was healing. It's good to keep busy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I won the Retro Bowl with Cleveland in my third full year as a coach. Here's what I think:

- DC is worth spending coins on.
- OC is... undetermined, since you probably have more stars on offense anyway. Blocking perhaps?
- Stadium upgrades are worth spending coins on. Pump up the XP gain one first until it starts costing a lot, then fill in the others.
- Nothing else is worth spending coins on. FAs are hilariously overpriced, and most will retire in the next couple years anyway.

Offense:
- QB: accuracy is the most important stat to get up to a reasonable level first. Only getting 2-3 guide dots is AWFUL. Go arm strength second for those sweet sweet go routes. Don't use a default QB, because you'll probably end up passing most downs unless you have a stud RB.
- A stud WR is an absolute must. When you see him in 1 on 1 coverage on a go-route, it's an automatic 50-60 yard gain if your QB has the arm strength to sling it. Even on comeback or post routes, you can throw the ball early enough to make them run it as a go-route, just make sure he has a bit of separation first. My 4.5-star WR averaged 30 yards and had something insane like 52 TDs in my winning season. And yes, defenders will always rubberband and speed up to catch you no matter what your speed is. I usually try to time a dodge-up/down when they dive for the tackle. Sometimes it works.
- A default RB is awful and you should basically never run the ball if you have one. They get like 2 yards max, and lose yardage a lot of the time since they can't break any tackles (strength gives you stiff arms). I was lucky enough to draft a 5-star RB and dude is a fuckin STUD. He breaks 2-4 tackles every run. Literal beast mode.
- Spending cap on a TE is meh. I usually only hit him once or twice a game, if that.
- I usually roster a 1-2 star kicker since they are dirt cheap in cap hit.
- If you see a defender playing way off the line, just hit them with a quick dump-off pass. Guaranteed 5 yards unless he breaks a tackle.

Defense:
- I usually just draft a couple 3-5-star defensive guys. When their contract is up and they're stats are pumped up, I just trade them. I don't feel they make a HUGE difference, but I'm also not giving up TDs every drive like you would with no stars and a crappy DC.

For people I draft, I usually re-sign them once. After that, they want stupid money, so I'll trade them during the draft for extra picks.

There's no point to taking another job, because it just resets the roster to crap and your stadium starts over. I guess it's expected, but it's basically starting the game completely over. Even when I took the Las Vegas job, it reset my 5/5-star Cleveland roster back to lovely default, which is weird.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 12, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I was thinking the NFL could just ban in-person free agent visits and conduct free agency entirely by phone and skype but all the owners are obsessed with making a big deal about flying guys in via private jets, buying them expensive dinners and having sleepovers that they will probably just delay the whole thing.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

For shits sake there will be riots if there's another 2 weeks of non stop Brady speculation

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

For shits sake there will be riots if there's another 2 weeks of non stop Brady speculation

Yes. Please get this QB carousel going already.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

if the offseason is shortened and the NFL really wants to start the season on time, I wonder how much that would convince brady to stay. learning a new system is one thing, learning it on a shortened offseason is another.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
what would be amazing is if the musical chairs goes down and Brady's the one left without a seat

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Play posted:

what would be amazing is if the musical chairs goes down and Brady's the one left without a seat

Not happening. He's #1 on many teams list. He will be the first domino to fall.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Not happening. He's #1 on many teams list. He will be the first domino to fall.

The Bucs want him bad.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Bucs want him bad.

I'm aware and I'm almost talking myself into it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just because of arians, but brady to tampa feels like trying to make up for missing out on peyton in arizona even though the cards were stacked against it at the time

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

hifi posted:

just because of arians, but brady to tampa feels like trying to make up for missing out on peyton in arizona even though the cards were stacked against it at the time

Arians only has a couple years left, the Super Bowl is in Tampa next year, and the owners are desperate to make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. They really want Brady.

Their second preference is Teddy. Then Rivers. Then Jameis.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would take Winston over all 3 of those guys. Brady and Rivers are toast.

Don’t really have a valid reason for Jameis over Teddy other than personal preference.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

TheBizzness posted:

Don’t really have a valid reason for Jameis over Teddy other than personal preference.
I mean, Teddy B only had two picks in five games, that’s not the kind of production Bucs fans and opposing defenses are used to.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Arians offense and Brady's skill set don't seem... Compatible

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheBizzness posted:

Same.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Arians offense and Brady's skill set don't seem... Compatible

That's what everyone is pretty much saying except Arians.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Rivers seem tailor made for the Colts right now

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1238516684815847425

Expected.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/GManzano24/status/1238533638209155072?s=19

Chargers save about 9.5m in cap space. Up to about 62m in cap space this offseason

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Vikings have released Xavier Rhodes freeing up 8 mil in space.

And Linval Joseph :(

Freeing up 20 mil in cap total.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 13, 2020

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I would assume with all the releases that teams are getting more confident that the CBA will pass? It's interesting timing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Titans released Cameron Wake, Delanie Walker, Dion Lewis, and Ryan Succup. That frees up roughly $18m in cap space.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PA needs to negotiate guaranteed contracts like the NHL or NBA. It’s idiotic how you can just cut someone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

PA needs to negotiate guaranteed contracts like the NHL or NBA. It’s idiotic how you can just cut someone.

Players could offer to play 20 games and the owners still wouldn’t ever allow that.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

OxySnake posted:

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1238540244544299010?s=20

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If players would actually go through with a lock/hold out they might have a chance to get it with a 26 game season.

I'm always surprised at just how hard corners drop off

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OxySnake posted:

Sad how toast Rhodes was getting there at the end. I wonder where he goes from here

Linval Joseph that's too bad. Was that expected? I feel like teams will be very very interested in him

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Gronk not officially signed, but he will be on Smackdown next week to talk about it.

If you're not watching it now, it's in an empty arena and weird as hell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

so that means they'll reopen...

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1238565798295339008?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Silly Burrito posted:

Gronk not officially signed, but he will be on Smackdown next week to talk about it.

If you're not watching it now, it's in an empty arena and weird as hell.

What's the point of wrestling in an empty arena? That must've sucked for the wrestlers