Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just started up a new Stardew playthrough and I'm doing mods this time

Most of them are small QoE stuff (no fence decay, no friendship decay, the one that lets you skip the intro, tooltips that remind you what gifts everybody likes, etc) but one of them is the big unofficial expansion dealie that was on the Nexus, and some of the others are its various prerequisites (SMAPI, the content patcher, PyTK, JsonAssets, TMXLoader, SpaceCore, etc etc etc)

The problem is that the game is stuttering -- every few seconds (between 3 and 10 steps when I'm running around) the game loses about half a second and then jolts forward to catch up. It is very annoying. Is this a commonly-known side effect of any popular mod, or am I gonna have to uninstall literally everything and put them back one at a time until I figure out what the problem mod was?

e: fullscreen mode helps but doesn't completely fix it

loquacius fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tried it in fullscreen mode with no mods and I'm still getting (less frequent) stutters, so I guess it's not the mods; my next question is: what the gently caress

My PC is maybe getting a little long in the tooth but this game runs on phones

My processor is a 4-core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz, my graphics card is a GTX 970 running what appears to be the most up-to-date driver, I have 16GB of RAM, and I should be quite capable of running Stardew loving Valley without stuttering issues

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

loquacius posted:

Tried it in fullscreen mode with no mods and I'm still getting (less frequent) stutters, so I guess it's not the mods; my next question is: what the gently caress

My PC is maybe getting a little long in the tooth but this game runs on phones

My processor is a 4-core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz, my graphics card is a GTX 970 running what appears to be the most up-to-date driver, I have 16GB of RAM, and I should be quite capable of running Stardew loving Valley without stuttering issues

close the janky websites in your browser. the sketchy ********* websites can wait until Stardew is over ;-)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah even those specs should still have Stardew for breakfast

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i blame steam. anyone PMing me on steam has been causing stutter in every goddamned thing since its release. gently caress u gaben !!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

loquacius posted:

I just started up a new Stardew playthrough and I'm doing mods this time

Most of them are small QoE stuff (no fence decay, no friendship decay, the one that lets you skip the intro, tooltips that remind you what gifts everybody likes, etc) but one of them is the big unofficial expansion dealie that was on the Nexus, and some of the others are its various prerequisites (SMAPI, the content patcher, PyTK, JsonAssets, TMXLoader, SpaceCore, etc etc etc)

The problem is that the game is stuttering -- every few seconds (between 3 and 10 steps when I'm running around) the game loses about half a second and then jolts forward to catch up. It is very annoying. Is this a commonly-known side effect of any popular mod, or am I gonna have to uninstall literally everything and put them back one at a time until I figure out what the problem mod was?

e: fullscreen mode helps but doesn't completely fix it

Honestly for friendship decay my issue is that a 2-star friend fades so fast an and a 10-star friend is a homie forever even if you don't even talk to em for a season. Seems like the lower end should be easier and the higher end harder imho. 9 star buddy maybe is anxious and I gotta treat him better than the 2-star guy I only sorta know. I mean IRL I don't give a poo poo if dudes I sorta know come around once a month but if it was my very best friend I'd be hurt real fast if he ignored me like that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jack Daniels posted:

close the janky websites in your browser. the sketchy ********* websites can wait until Stardew is over ;-)

I actually tried closing a bunch of Chrome tabs just in case but no joy

I changed some driver settings Google suggested and have just resigned myself to fullscreen mode and it's not as bad as it was but still stuttering v:v:v

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Check your task manager/performance monitor to find out what's being used up and what's using it. Then report back.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

chairface posted:

Honestly for friendship decay my issue is that a 2-star friend fades so fast an and a 10-star friend is a homie forever even if you don't even talk to em for a season. Seems like the lower end should be easier and the higher end harder imho. 9 star buddy maybe is anxious and I gotta treat him better than the 2-star guy I only sorta know. I mean IRL I don't give a poo poo if dudes I sorta know come around once a month but if it was my very best friend I'd be hurt real fast if he ignored me like that.

that sounds more realistic but it doesn't sound fun

like I don't want my reward for maxing out someone's friendship to be a bunch of pointless busywork

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What kind of best friends do y’all have that you can’t ignore them for months or more and then pick up immediately where you left off.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Check your task manager/performance monitor to find out what's being used up and what's using it. Then report back.

This is with the game sitting at the title screen (hence 0.6% CPU)

I dunno, Chrome is being a big greedy hog as usual but I'm still only at about 63% memory usage

e: when the game is running and stuttering its CPU usage can go anywhere from like 8% to like 26% depending on what it's doing but nothing else is really using any CPU to speak of
e2: yeah just saw a bunch of stuttering at 25% CPU usage total and the memory usage still at around what it was with the game running idle

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 12, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Have you tried closing all of the chrome tabs? Especially any ones playing video? Could be Chrome taking advantage of hardware acceleration and that's what is causing the stutters.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

looks kind of like stardew is overloading a single thread of cpu. no idea though

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What kind of best friends do y’all have that you can’t ignore them for months or more and then pick up immediately where you left off.

:hmmyes:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Having two monitors I know that having chrome open in the second one, especially with video playing, will kill Stardew even if the task manager looks like it's not allocating a whole lot. I don't know why though.

It's only chrome though. Like I can run a video player or whatever just fine.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 12, 2020

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The idea that Chrome is ruining everything is plausible to me but the concept of not having it always open all the time is weird and unsettling

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do the fiscally responsible thing and buy a Surface Pro to sit as your secondary PC on your desk for browsing and poo poo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

probably the kind where you can't ignore them for months or more and then pick up immediately where you left off, op

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

codo27 posted:

Do the fiscally responsible thing and buy a Surface Pro to sit as your secondary PC on your desk for browsing and poo poo.

Yeah I have my work laptop anyway (my Stardew playthrough is coinciding not only with me needing to find an outlet other than politics stuff which will chill me out, but also with me being WFH until further notice due to that global pandemic thing) so I might as well find a place to put it and just use that

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I have a second monitor and always have something streaming on it.

You're right that your resource usage seems pretty ok. You can check one of the other tabs to see if one core is overloaded, but at this point I would be suspecting mods and try a fresh vanilla install for comparison.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

codo27 posted:

Do the fiscally responsible thing and buy a Surface Pro exclusively for Stardew Valley

:shrug:
It’s better than the Switch version

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

webmeister posted:

:shrug:
It’s better than the Switch version
Broke: buy a Switch for Stardew Valley
Woke: buy a Surface Pro for Stardew Valley
Bespoke: buy a Tesla for Stardew Valley

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just started year 3 on this playthrough, what's with the fat raccoon in the forest? It keeps asking for food and I need to make fish tacos for it next and I'm wondering how much effort to put into it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it asks for four things and gives you a minor cosmetic event

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lol

real edit: omg I really thought it was a bear :negative:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
That's Trash Bear, he is awesome

pay no attention to the part where he really does have a raccoon tail

he's Trash Bear

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

2nd playthru 100% done final farm goooo

https://upload.farm/1JeyBA

comapred to 1st playthru:
  • 2/3 of the gameplay hours
  • 3/4 of the in-game "years"
  • bought the expensive buildings ofc
  • stayed with my farm design just tweaked it ok DONE

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's very cool. blood pond looks a bit upsetting though

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

blood pond looks a bit upsetting though

:gonk:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Blood for the blood pond, slimes for the slime hutch! :kheldragar:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Reminds me of a thing I did in Dwarf Fortress. Only I messed up and got some Cyan in it from dropping a troll onto the grate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wanted to hop back in and see how far Stardew Valley Expanded has progressed, but upon booting it up after following the installation instructions for the various mods and such, SMAPI says "Oops! You're running Stardew Valley 1.4.5, but this version of SMAPI is only compatible up to Stardew Valley 1.3.36. Please check for a newer version of SMAPI: https://smapi.io.
Game has ended. Press any key to exit."

There doesn't seem to be a newer version of SMAPI, is there a way to knock my version of Stardew down a bit to be compatible? Googling for installing an older version of Stardew, it seems that that might not be possible anymore without "finding the old files somewhere(I.E. pirating it)"?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You have the wrong version of SMAPI. Download the latest version and run the installer.

Link

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Demiurge4 posted:

You have the wrong version of SMAPI. Download the latest version and run the installer.

Link
aha, whoops, forgot to actually hit install on the new version of SMAPI. :v: Thanks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is it because of SVE that I can't seem to finish the library?

I think I've donated 76 things, no Rusty Key yet, in year 2 autumn, getting a lil nervous

Managed to donate my Dinosaur Egg before discovering I needed a second one to do the missing bundle and now spend a lot of my spare time riding around the world map vainly searching for dig spots so I can find more poo poo

Is there a way to force it so you get one of the mine/ skull cavern floors with all the dinosaurs on it? That's how I got the egg the first time but I can't replicate it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think you need to be level 25ish or deeper, but they're not that rare. i'd be surprised if you didn't get one after going for a few days straight

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

loquacius posted:

I think I've donated 76 things, no Rusty Key yet, in year 2 autumn, getting a lil nervous

Managed to donate my Dinosaur Egg before discovering I needed a second one to do the missing bundle and now spend a lot of my spare time riding around the world map vainly searching for dig spots so I can find more poo poo

Is there a way to force it so you get one of the mine/ skull cavern floors with all the dinosaurs on it? That's how I got the egg the first time but I can't replicate it.

If you really want to "force it" you can use Stardew Predictor to tell you which Skull Cavern floors are marked as dinosaur floors for a given day. It's not 100% because a dino floor can be overwritten by other stuff, but if there is a dino floor the Predictor will tell you where.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Watching my fiancé play Animal Crossing made me realize Stardew is the dark souls of relaxing farming games

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

YOu get the key by talking to the adventurer guild in year two in SVE, I restarted my last game because I had progressed beyond that point and had almost the whole library filled up. My first idea was to just cheat the key into my inventory instead of abandoning the playthrough, but the mod I installed to add items didn't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I haven't played this since launch (just did one play through) and I think now is a good a time as any to farm and chill. Have things changed a lot since then? Mods and sutff?