Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the Arm Slave scale AK-74ish. Might give it a wash after the paint cures overnight. Kinda proud of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Monaghan posted:

It's great that bluefin is stocking p-bandai stuff now but I really wish they'd ship to canada god drat it.

They won't even take non-American CCs so I can't even ship it to my parcel place.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Only two people showed up for my build night, but that's still one more than last week! :buddy:

Now I just need to get them to bring their own tools. I don't mind sharing but I only have one pair of snips I'm willing to lend anyone, and if more people start showing up it could be a problem.

I made some good progress on this guy, but man, working on it has me jonesing for a good non-EW Wing Gundam now. Does such a thing even exist? If I get the HGAC Wing am I going to be disappoint? Am I going to buy it anyway because I have poor impulse control? Probably, yeah.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bees on Wheat posted:

Only two people showed up for my build night, but that's still one more than last week! :buddy:

Now I just need to get them to bring their own tools. I don't mind sharing but I only have one pair of snips I'm willing to lend anyone, and if more people start showing up it could be a problem.

I made some good progress on this guy, but man, working on it has me jonesing for a good non-EW Wing Gundam now. Does such a thing even exist? If I get the HGAC Wing am I going to be disappoint? Am I going to buy it anyway because I have poor impulse control? Probably, yeah.

The HGAC Wing is decent, definitely up to modern HGUC+ standards. There's also a Master Grade of the TV Wing Gundam if you want something bigger.

I actually have the TV MG on the pile myself. I did start building it last week but before I got very far in I noticed the polycap frame had an injection issue.

Luckily I live in Japan and Bandai has good customer service so they sent me a new frame within the week.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

RillAkBea posted:

The HGAC Wing is decent, definitely up to modern HGUC+ standards. There's also a Master Grade of the TV Wing Gundam if you want something bigger.

I actually have the TV MG on the pile myself. I did start building it last week but before I got very far in I noticed the polycap frame had an injection issue.

Luckily I live in Japan and Bandai has good customer service so they sent me a new frame within the week.

Honestly I would probably just get both if this wasn't the worst possible time to be irresponsible with money. I just lost several shifts at one of my jobs because things are being cancelled or postponed due to coronavirus fears, and several more shifts are on the chopping block now that the county is implementing a ban on large gatherings. Other job doesn't have a lot of hours to go around either.

Thank god I have a significant backlog to get me through this. Everyone else is out there stocking up on toilet paper and hand sanitizer and I've got a giant box of plastic crack instead. :rodimus:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Puddin posted:

Got some decent enough weather for me to finish my 30mm build. Went with a sentry bot style of build after changing my mind about 13 times.

Totally forgot to put a top coat on it before I assembled it.

Trying to get decent pictures of a dark model in a dark house is an exercise in frustration.

Anyway, enjoy!

Hell yeah, looking dope

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sazabi posted:

Just picked up the new Marchosias. The inner frame is exactly the same sans the face and neck parts are different. Otherwise it looks like it's just as good as the rest of the line and I really hope the pump out all the gundam and modified Rodi frames eventually.

Edit: the other immediate down side is the sticker sheet is bigger than I was expecting. 22 in all.so think Guison Rebake/Full City.

What do you mean by the new Marchosias? Was there an old one I can't find?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
No, it's just a new release in the IBO line.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Slanderer posted:

What do you mean by the new Marchosias? Was there an old one I can't find?

New as in released 3 days ago. Unless someone knows of an old FF boss with the same name and wants to help me play it off like I meant that the whole time.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Is it just me, or is the Hobby Link Japan site really slow and buggy?
I was trying to browse their sales, but prices would stop appearing and pages would stop loading at random.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BadMedic posted:

Is it just me, or is the Hobby Link Japan site really slow and buggy?
I was trying to browse their sales, but prices would stop appearing and pages would stop loading at random.

I can confirm the site has gone to poo poo lately. I've seen complaints about it elsewhere too.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's been slow as poo poo since before Xmas. It always takes ages for the piecing to load on the page.

I found this on on instagram before, some nice custom print t-shirts.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's been bad lately, but the sale absolutely destroyed the site.

Not that I'm bitter about getting locked out of buying the M61A5 kit because of it or anything.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Monaghan posted:

It's great that bluefin is stocking p-bandai stuff now but I really wish they'd ship to canada god drat it.

Argas posted:

They won't even take non-American CCs so I can't even ship it to my parcel place.

No reason we couldn't set up a pipeline between US Gunpla goons and non-US Gunpla goons for Bluefin buys. Shipping wouldn't be cheap, but, it's definitely do-able if anyone really wants sets and the prices on ebay or amazon are too high.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Looking like Marchosias has the same problem as Bael if you just do a straight build, in that the backpack is too drat heavy for the inner frame's waist joint. The sub-arms seem pretty flimsy as well, and it's a mess of color-correcting stickers. There are three for the v-fin alone :gonk:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Looking like Marchosias has the same problem as Bael if you just do a straight build, in that the backpack is too drat heavy for the inner frame's waist joint. The sub-arms seem pretty flimsy as well, and it's a mess of color-correcting stickers. There are three for the v-fin alone :gonk:
Despite the fact it was released a lot later than the rest, it's still very much a regular series HG. It's not like they marked it as an HGUC+ or anything though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Despite the fact it was released a lot later than the rest, it's still very much a regular series HG. It's not like they marked it as an HGUC+ or anything though.

It's a fundamental flaw with the IBO frame design and the designers getting over-ambitious; EVERYTHING on the upper half is riding on a single peg and polycap ball plugging into the hip, because IBO kits are a frame with armor bits attached rather than a solid midsection to support chunky shoulder and backpack kibble properly.

You can see the problem immediately just looking at the picture showing it from behind.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People's Liberation Army mid-1980s splinter camo goals:

People's Liberation Army mid-1980s splinter camo reality:

Other than taking the tan base color and handbrushing little bits and bobs on the greens and brown... yeah, big yikes. I've created a street atlas.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Never tried camo before but I've done line masking and my impression of doing camo is you'll want to do it in the other direction. So, dark green, mask over a few spots. Layer of light green. Mask over a few more spots. Layer of pink. Mask those over. Then your tan "lines" layer and remove all the old masking to reveal the camo spots. Probably easier than trying to cut lines of tape that curve like that... but also means cutting a ton of tiny little masking pieces.

That being said your colors are great and could make for some cool details if you laid down base colors over it

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Other way, in this case. For this particular camo pattern, you'd want to do a tan base all over, then hand-paint your three other color squiggles. Irregularity is a desirable trait, so working fast and sloppy is to your benefit.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
You should avoid doing straight or curved lines at least in the finished stage. Such regular patterns are never used in actual camo since it's very noticeable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MJP posted:

People's Liberation Army mid-1980s splinter camo goals:

Other than taking the tan base color and handbrushing little bits and bobs on the greens and brown... yeah, big yikes. I've created a street atlas.

Get some tiny little animal stickers and just pretend that your goal all along was to create a map of Richard Scarry's Busytown

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Spray one blob colour, mask it with random shapes, spray other blob colour, mask it with random shapes, spray what would be the bottom layer irl, so in this case tan, remove masking. Enjoy your nice camo.

Repeat the blob shapes stage as many times as you want.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

this flannel nightmare is dope, dont listen to the haters

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the folks saying tan first are echoing what I did. I'm not relishing the idea of tiny blotches done individually. This one might get done over with USAF color scheme enamels and I'll strategically drybrush some away to look like painted-over camo. Sorta like a CONSTANT PEG or HAVE DOUGHNUT MiG. The MiG-23 in the USAF Museum in Dayton has a nifty example of that, a regular gray USSR Frontal Aviation paint job with some streaks of Egyptian camo scheme under it.

"Oh yeah, we got this old hunk of junk from a Chinese defector and it found its way to Area 51 as part of the adversary familiarization training we ran. This was when the Rk-92 was only about four or five years new in Chinese service, which in and of itself was a license-built derivative. Russian design, Chinese improvements, American upkeep."

Edit: yep, I like this concept way, way better. Sprayed an enamel and used a brush damp with lighter fluid to add a little wear to show the former camo. Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/5jMjlaP

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 12, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got some stuff in the HLJ warehouse with a month left, thinking of adding since stuff before shipping, what's the best couple of RGs? Thinking the MK2 or Sinanju right now, or the Gold Frame.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
RG Tallgeese and Crossbone are petty awesome.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got some stuff in the HLJ warehouse with a month left, thinking of adding since stuff before shipping, what's the best couple of RGs? Thinking the MK2 or Sinanju right now, or the Gold Frame.

Probably the Nu and the Sazabi.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably the Nu and the Sazabi.

if I ever finish Tallgeese I'm gettin these two

Pose 'em goin absolute ham on eachother

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh poo poo; The Aegis Knight can do The CLAW :allears:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just picked up the RG Eva-01. I actually even woke up early today because I wanted to get to the store and get the special edition before they sold out and tripled in value. I haven't actually built it yet (or even taken it home, I opened it up at work to take a look) but I'm just going to go ahead and say it, this may be the best RG in history, in terms of color separation at the very least, if not overall.

First out of the gate, there are surprisingly few marking decals. I got the special edition which has a few extra for the transport platform, but the sheet is actually half the size of a regular RG sheet and save for one or two, they're all superfluous markings. Which means that, yes, all the rest is molded. Yes, all of it. They've used the multi-stage injection process to great effect here with the eyes, biceps and horns all molded with their detail colors. The 2 tiny stripes on the horn are molded in, it's amazing. They actually give you a 1 piece horn with marking sticker stripes as well if you're planning to be a little more hands on with this bad boy. For the shoulder caps, the number/text is a decal but the green and orange stripe are molded parts. It also comes with an incredible variety of hand poses, 6 for regular and 7 for special edition, all with both left and right versions.

Really, I can't wait to put this thing together but it's gonna have to wait just a little longer.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really love the MK-2 and mine gave me no problems during build and pose. The GP-01 was also nice but you can't really transform it more than once or twice before something feels like it's ready to come off.

That said echo what others have said since just about every release seems to be a high for RG so just avoid the zaku units and some earlier stuff like Destiny or Aile Strike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

I really love the MK-2 and mine gave me no problems during build and pose. The GP-01 was also nice but you can't really transform it more than once or twice before something feels like it's ready to come off.

That said echo what others have said since just about every release seems to be a high for RG so just avoid the zaku units and some earlier stuff like Destiny or Aile Strike.

What's wrong the Aile Strike? It's like the first good RG they made.

Also the 30mm Option Set 2 is out today, so alongside the RG Evangelion so I've got a nice fat box of parts coming in the mail in a few weeks from Japan. I got three Option Set 2's, and an Option Set 1, because my 30MM build is going to have so many missiles. And stackable thrusters :rice:.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

RillAkBea posted:

I just picked up the RG Eva-01. I actually even woke up early today because I wanted to get to the store and get the special edition before they sold out and tripled in value. I haven't actually built it yet (or even taken it home, I opened it up at work to take a look) but I'm just going to go ahead and say it, this may be the best RG in history, in terms of color separation at the very least, if not overall.

First out of the gate, there are surprisingly few marking decals. I got the special edition which has a few extra for the transport platform, but the sheet is actually half the size of a regular RG sheet and save for one or two, they're all superfluous markings. Which means that, yes, all the rest is molded. Yes, all of it. They've used the multi-stage injection process to great effect here with the eyes, biceps and horns all molded with their detail colors. The 2 tiny stripes on the horn are molded in, it's amazing. They actually give you a 1 piece horn with marking sticker stripes as well if you're planning to be a little more hands on with this bad boy. For the shoulder caps, the number/text is a decal but the green and orange stripe are molded parts. It also comes with an incredible variety of hand poses, 6 for regular and 7 for special edition, all with both left and right versions.

Really, I can't wait to put this thing together but it's gonna have to wait just a little longer.

Waiting on mine to ship
But I'm scared of it being my first rg so I got the Uma Lightning Zaku because the colours looked sweet.
Guess I'll have to self-isolate myself, oh well.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

I just picked up the RG Eva-01.

I'm jealous. I preordered it on HLJ and it's still not available for me. That makes me a bit worried about the unit 0 I preordered too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sazabi posted:

Part of my interest is because the only one I've done is Char's Zaku and I really liked it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Part of my interest is because the only one I've done is Char's Zaku and I really liked it.

If you can survive that tubing then you can survive just about anything gunpla has to throw at you. And pick whatever kit looks cool to you. Oh and in case you don't know, they dropped the pre-assembled limbs and body for more standard inner frame like MGs.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just managed to get hold of a third Armored Core kit for my Plamo and holy crap, they've sculpted/casted individual rounds to chamber to the top of the rifle magazine. :stare:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My local hobby store cancelled their Sunday build meets so I guess I have no excuse but to work on my backlog now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BadMedic posted:

I'm jealous. I preordered it on HLJ and it's still not available for me. That makes me a bit worried about the unit 0 I preordered too.

I wouldn't worry too much, they pretty much only got delivered to stores today. I just happen to know a store that puts things out on day of delivery rather than street date.

I only had enough time to put together the transport platform today. It's pretty cool, it's got sliding locks on the uprights and the back side has slots for rails in case you wanted to put together a full launch pad scene. (I give it about a week before one of the hardcore Japanese twitter modelers makes one with full motorized launch sequence)

For reference, measuring from the transport platform, the full Unit-01 should be about 20cm with shoulder binders, which makes it MG height if not quite as chunky.