Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I am honestly worried about a quarantine since I already get just barely enough interaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey all. I may not be around for a bit, although whenever I've said that in the past it's been for like 36 hours at most :P But I'm tired of being online and need a break.

In the event that someone is blatantly breaking an op rule (now's a good time to go over them!!), please alert Squizzle as I'm sure he will be very interested.

You're all really good people who have done a fantastic job of self regulating and being responsive when reminded about rules. Please continue to do that and read each other's posts, even if you don't have anything to say about it. It matters. gently caress the lol nothing matters. Caring about people loving matters in this and every reality.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I hope you come back refreshed Chokes, you mean a lot to this forum.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Also, two hopefully helpful links:
Alameda County Health Care for the Homeless - vulnerable populations
https://www.achch.org/coronavirus.html

Public Health Department (mostly stuff we already know, also helpful for locals)
http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx

And Public Health's twitter:
https://twitter.com/dare2bwell?lang=en

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
This morning I was looking at the Stellar's Jays fly in from their roosting spot and thinking about how their days are now numbered and they probably won't make it until 2100 if they're lucky, and my wife was crying about getting the roni or her parents getting it and I had an extremely strong desire just to load up my S&W Shield and shoot myself lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

sounds like you should have a buddy hold onto that shield for a while or have your spouse stash it somewhere. I've been in the same situation and was up front in not being able to be around firearms for a while

personally, I got melancholy this morning because it feels like spring outside and my dog LOVES winter/snow and she probably isnt going to make it to another winter because she has colon cancer and a bad prognosis

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Eat This Glob posted:

sounds like you should have a buddy hold onto that shield for a while or have your spouse stash it somewhere. I've been in the same situation and was up front in not being able to be around firearms for a while

personally, I got melancholy this morning because it feels like spring outside and my dog LOVES winter/snow and she probably isnt going to make it to another winter because she has colon cancer and a bad prognosis

Is there enough snow left to put a little in the freezer? Or maybe a rink nearby with piles of shavings you can take her to run around on? Make your own winter :unsmith:

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Eat This Glob posted:

My wife already locked it away but it'd be trivial to break in. I watch lock picking lawyer.

Sorry to hear about your dog. They're the best.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hey friendos. chokes is amazing and idk how he usually handles suicidal ideation itt, but the general forums policy is to give someone a moderate-length probation and, if needed, ban. these arent intended as a punishment, but because its the only thing we can really do to try to push someone toward the resources that exist to help someone thru a crisis like this—suicide hotlines, therapeutic intervention, and other sources who are experienced in best care for someone who needs special, powerful, and timely support like this

in a few minutes, im gonna queue a 7-day probation. here is the phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

i will include the same contact info in the probation msg

godspeed and best recovery, Dog Toothbrush. we love you and want to post w you again, and if you dont want to post, we still want you to be well and getting help to feel better

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

you are all loved, and you all deserve love. theres nothing that you can do, say, experience, or be that makes you undeserving of love.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Strange that I'm in a better paying job, in better shape, much less debt and yet I'm still the pretty much same mentally as I was one year ago, just thankfully not suicidal

"Surely this improvement in my life will be the one that stops all my self loathing"

"Ah, well, nevertheless"

It takes a whole lot of good to compensate for the slightest negative thing that happens, and when I get in that mindset I both chase the feeling of misery and get paranoid thinking that people around me don't really give a gently caress.

Sorry for the ramble. My usual target for venting isn't available.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Halser posted:

Strange that I'm in a better paying job, in better shape, much less debt and yet I'm still the pretty much same mentally as I was one year ago, just thankfully not suicidal

Bio -> Psycho -> Social -> Spiritual

Edit: Sorry I just reread this and I didn't mean for this short response to come off as glib or condescending. I will add some more when I get home tonight. I am happy for your growth and healing.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Mar 11, 2020

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

thehandtruck posted:

Bio -> Psycho -> Social -> Spiritual

Edit: Sorry I just reread this and I didn't mean for this short response to come off as glib or condescending. I will add some more when I get home tonight. I am happy for your growth and healing.

Don't worry, it didn't.

still would appreciate an effort post though

Halser has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Mar 12, 2020

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Dog Toothbrush posted:

This morning I was looking at the Stellar's Jays fly in from their roosting spot and thinking about how their days are now numbered and they probably won't make it until 2100 if they're lucky, and my wife was crying about getting the roni or her parents getting it and I had an extremely strong desire just to load up my S&W Shield and shoot myself lol

sorry dude sounds real lovely

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Squizzle posted:

you are all loved, and you all deserve love. theres nothing that you can do, say, experience, or be that makes you undeserving of love.

Didn't want to let this go unanswered, because it's a really beautiful thing to say. Thanks for being our temporary Chokes, Squizzle. :glomp:

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Hey, I read this post earlier and this has been bothering me since then so I'd like to lay it out. If its better that I dont lay this out, then I'll erase this post.

I'm sorry I was harsh to you in the Bernie thread. I didnt realize you were going through such a rough time. I'm scared too. Especially of climate change. And it feels like everything is going to poo poo.

I dont know how much this helps, but you're not alone. We are all scared too--it's why we're posting in cspam, and especially in this thread. Theres space for you here once your probation runs its course. When I am scared, I do something to distract myself. Lately, it means texting for Bernie. Once the campaign is over, maybe I'll text for some other candidate. Maybe I'll volunteer for something. Whatever keeps me busy. Whatever helps me feel like I have some real power in my life. And i suppose i do--i havent thought about hurting myself ever since I started volunteering.

Please come join us again when you're feeling better. I can tell you're a good person who's hurting--what kind of bad person would care about a Stellar's Jay? Or any other bird? Maybe we can hoot and holler and talk about birds, whether bernie wins or not. I'm sure those jays would be grateful for your compassion. And no matter who wins in July or in November, those birds will need someone to look out for them. It's a lovely world out there. We gotta keep it together. If not for our sakes, at least for the birds.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
the world feels more uncertain than it ever has been in my lifetime and i don't know how to cope with the fact my lived reality might be completely changed in a matter of weeks

that said im handling this remarkably well all things considered, this poo poo woulda destroyed me a year ago

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Wife and I chased a dream and moved to Japan as of mid-February and boy that timing has just worked out amazing for Anxiety and the like. Sitting in our little apartment because work is suspended and not doing much because we have to conserve money is, you know, really a good way not to dwell on things. And hey, not knowing if we'll be able to stay or not - and being far far far away from any support network? Also cool. All cool.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Dreddout posted:

the world feels more uncertain than it ever has been in my lifetime and i don't know how to cope with the fact my lived reality might be completely changed in a matter of weeks

that said im handling this remarkably well all things considered, this poo poo woulda destroyed me a year ago

"My lived reality might be completely changed in weeks" perfectly sums up my feelings. Was just saying this to my wife. Between the increased frequency of climate disasters and now this pandemic (which is just one mutation of flu, it could get much worse), it feels like the first wave of the civilization-breaking snowball effect. The system can only take so many big hits in a row, and my certainty that this was coming is why I didn't have kids. But I didn't want to be right and I really, really didn't want to live through it, especially before I even hit middle age. I thought I had more time and I'm worried that I might have wasted what will turn out to have been the safest and most potential-filled years of my life on videogames and self-medication. I'm terrified, and there's literally nothing I can do to change any of this. Crying as I write this.

Cool Dance Moves and Dog Toothbrush, it's obvious that you're both good people. From one bird-lover to another, I really hope we can find a way to get through this together. I'll be here.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Halser posted:

Don't worry, it didn't.

still would appreciate an effort post though

Cool :).

A person is comprised of 4 fully enmeshed, overlapping and interconnected circles: Biological, Psychological, Social, and Spiritual. For example if someone presents with like, anger issues or whatever you have to look each of those 4 circles. What use is psychotherapy if they have an endocrine issue making them angry all the time? Or what if their anger issues are caused by them getting beaten every day by their parent? Or their family just moved and they have no friends? Or if they have zero connection to nature and the spiritual aspects of life? The long and short of it is to be a fully individuated and happy all 4 circles need to be attended to. And mental health tends to try and go in the order I posted for obvious reasons and Maslow had a good and similar take on it too.

Armchairing a shitload here but if you are starting to get back on your feet, you probably have the biological (meds/working out/creature needs met) and psychological (therapy, decent job, not suicidal) and maybe some social aspects of each circle met. And that's loving awesome and for many people it takes a REALLY REALLY long time to get there. But I see this happen a lot where people have those first 2 and a half met but they still aren't happy because they aren't fulfilling their purpose. Addressing the spiritual certain doesn't necessarily mean you have to like go to church or whatever, it means (in my opinion) you are fulfilled your purpose which (again imo) is a spiritual act, even if you are FULLY atheistic and don't believe in anything invisible whatsoever. Sometimes that means helping other, sometimes it means hiking, if hiking is your purpose. For some people it means working on Bernie's campaign or volunteering at homeless shelters. For some people it may actually mean going to church, and that's fine too. It's why the 12 step model of addiction is really successful, because it's includes all 4 circles and understands that they all need to be addressed. Maybe you're in a good place and are ready to continue on your path and maybe you're irritable cause you are aren't moving forward on that path. Did this info resonate with you?

Anyway, I'm pumped as gently caress you're feeling good man. Don't sweat feeling lovely, that's healthy too sometimes but def bring all this up to your therapist.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
how does that differ from the hierarchy of needs if at all? I don't think I've heard this exact idea but I can dig it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Unsinkabear posted:

it feels like the first wave of the civilization-breaking snowball effect. The system can only take so many big hits in a row, and my certainty that this was coming is why I didn't have kids.

Mankind has endured and absorbed an absurd number of big hits, and will continue to do so long after we are all gone. Things are always changing, just usually too slow for most people to notice or care about. I've personally seen the "certainty" of nuclear war/nuclear winter/we're all gonna die come and go, and although it doesn't make bad events less bad, it keeps them from seeming like the end of the world.

Don't lose your perspective. Bad things can happen, and do happen but civilization isn't going to break. The Black Death is one of the scariest things one can think of, and recurred repeatedly for about 300 years and still didn't finish us off.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

how does that differ from the hierarchy of needs if at all? I don't think I've heard this exact idea but I can dig it

It really doesn't differ that much! They are both systemic lenses to view a person. One is just used a little bit more in treating mental health and has a tad more depth and nuance. Overall same idea though. Here's one example that may help illustrate it a little better:

A person believes in Gaia or other natural gods and stuff. They spend more time in nature. Spending more time in nature makes them physically healthier and also happier. Being happy makes them nice to be around so they have friends. Even just by starting from the Spiritual circle, it influenced all other circles enough to fulfill each of them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Cool Ranch Doritos simultaneously fulfill like five of those circles.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

thehandtruck posted:

good stuff
Did this info resonate with you?

it definitely did. Reading through it made me think that the thing that got me feeling down in the first place(this time around, at least) was not talking as much to a friend of mine that often gets depressed as well. It really cheers me up when I have a positive effect on other people's moods, and that's been missing for the past few weeks.

Anyway, I haven't been to a therapist since I was 12 or so, for a few reasons, but that's another point entirely.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Halser posted:

Anyway, I haven't been to a therapist since I was 12 or so, for a few reasons, but that's another point entirely.

Yeah, this is a scary place to be at. Other than having an evaluation that didn't go very well at 20 when I was thinking about doing international study, I haven't been to any sort of psych doctor at all since probably early high school, and whatever good or bad things one could say about high school Zvahl, he's definitely dead now and not the person typing this.

You can look at lists and read internet reviews or whatever but every aspect of the medical system is designed to be obtuse and figuring this particular one out somehow feels worse and more humiliating. Last time I tried, the very nice receptionist lady asked me what I was looking for in the broadest terms and I didn't have an answer so I just kinda hung up. I figured she wouldn't really appreciate me yelling PLEASE HELP BUT DON'T BE EXPENSIVE.

Lean on your friend when you can. Feeling lovely about feeling lovely is a tempting trap since it's comfortable, sort of. But even then, as long as you can say I'm not suicidal, you're moving forward, and there's a future. So try to rest on that, if you need to, it's a nicer chair than the loathing pit.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I've been ludicrously anxious lately about coronavirus, partly because it's hitting my home state of Washington really hard and partly because I myself have had a cold since about the beginning of February. About the only thing giving me reassurance is the fact I can CLEARLY feel my cough is not a dry cough, but the other things in my life that are starting to get affected is not helping a lot. My university moved classes on line so I have to think about how to teach online now, and on top of that the tax appointment I had made weeks in advance for once got canceled anyway for the same reasons campus classes got canceled, so I get to pay a chunk of money for H&R Block to do it again. At least this time it's not MY fault.

Anxiety is the worst in situations like this you guys.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I finally managed to restart therapy and the economy and the world is collapsing. God loving drat it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

seems like as good a time as any to return to therapy

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

I finally managed to restart therapy and the economy and the world is collapsing. God loving drat it.

The world would've been in this condition whether you restarted therapy or not! But now you are starting to get the tools to face the future. Imagine if all this poo poo had gone down and you hadn't made this commitment--then things would really have felt rough! You can do this, friendo!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

For those of you with coronavirus anxiety, (read: "all of us") a lot of therapists do video calls. I believe that's one of the things you can filter for on PsychologyToday.

Mine does and I was thinking about replacing her, but I'm sure as poo poo not going to now.

Now I just have to figure out how to talk about my wife on said video call, because we're both self-isolating in the same house. :cripes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Unsinkabear posted:

For those of you with coronavirus anxiety, (read: "all of us") a lot of therapists do video calls. I believe that's one of the things you can filter for on PsychologyToday.

Mine does and I was thinking about replacing her, but I'm sure as poo poo not going to now.

Now I just have to figure out how to talk about my wife on said video call, because we're both self-isolating in the same house. :cripes:

Earmuffs or headphones an option?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Blink in Morse code

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

cool dance moves posted:

The world would've been in this condition whether you restarted therapy or not! But now you are starting to get the tools to face the future. Imagine if all this poo poo had gone down and you hadn't made this commitment--then things would really have felt rough! You can do this, friendo!

But will I have the money to keep going to therapy?

Will I still be able to remain in this country?

Will I have to movie back with my parents?

Will I ever be able to find a job again since m mental issues have made it hard for me to learn things by myself making me borderline useless at what I do?

Will the rising tide of fascism make me a target due to either my mental issues or the fact that I never had a relationship being easily mistaken for me being gay?

Will I have to spend the rest of my days digging dirt on a farm?

I can't even sleep. I feel like I am losing the few good things I built up. How people can think this is good is beyond me. This is the end of all things.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

If you have any anxiety issues at all, don't look at the coronavirus thread.

Stock up on rice, beans, and spices (a 50lb bag of each is good for about 90 days), and maybe prescriptions if you can. This is probably not necessary but will help you feel better and cover the bases just in case. Then accept that this is really all you can do, and stay home if you can.

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Mar 13, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Stock up on rice, beans, and spices (a 50lb bag of each is good for about 90 days), and maybe prescriptions if you can. This is probably not necessary but will help you feel better and cover the bases just in case. Then accept that this is really all you can do, and stay home if you can.

I am already stocked up thanks to that thread. The corona thread is not the one panicking me, it's the Doomsday Economics one (which I am now avoiding). Thanks for the advice though.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Mar 13, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

i have anxiety like a motherfucker, but the coronavirus thread was way more sobering than worrying, at least for me. that said, get your 'scripts filled. my 3 month brain pills just came up a couple weeks back, so I'm lucky there

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

I can't even sleep. I feel like I am losing the few good things I built up. How people can think this is good is beyond me. This is the end of all things.

It's a terrifying time to be alive. I dont blame you for feeling anxious. Before I move on to the meat of this post, though, I want to make clear that I am not a medical expert in any capacity. I highly encourage you to share your thoughts with your therapist. Close friends and/or family members too, if possible.

I dont want to give too much information about myself. I'd rather not get doxxed, especially if it means attaching my real name to the dumb poo poo I've posted in these forums over the years. I was lucky enough to be born to parents who could afford all the things to make me succeed: good schools, good food, a stable, loving house. I went to a really good college. Everyone--my parents, my guidance counselor, my teachers--encouraged me to go. The doors it would open up! My life could finally be a beautiful adventure! I picked a major that I loved ever since I was a kid.

I graduated years after the recession was supposedly over. Turns out the recession wasn't quite over if you're a liberal arts major who sucks at using LinkedIn. I ended up taking white collar odd jobs: an office assistant here, an assistant paralegal there, you know the drill. Along the way I was dumb enough to pick up a postsecondary degree. Like many of our generation, I took out loans in the hopes that each one would be a worthwhile investment. That maybe all I needed was one more academic bullet point on my resume, and I'd get picked up at some think tank. Then, finally, maybe my life could be a beautiful adventure. Like how it was supposed to be.

How do you think that turned out? Hint: I'm still posting on these dead comedy forums.

I'm saying all this because I want to illustrate the following point: we were born into a world of pain and suffering, where every misfortune is chalked up to personal failure. It has a whole brutal machine called capitalism that helps keep it working. It's a machine where a life cant be inherently worthwhile; it's only worthwhile when it produces money.

For a while, I hated myself. When I got my college diploma, I joked that I racked up infinite debt all for a lousy piece of paper. I kept feeling worthless until...well, until pretty recently.

I can see myself in your posts. I dont know anything about your life. But I can tell you this much: if you think your life is not worth living, think again. You still deserve a good school, good food, and a stable, loving house. We all do. That's what we want to build. But it necessarily means taking a radical shift away from everything we have ever known. Which is a scary thought. Maybe you dont want to dance around the bonfire--thats fine! We can at least confide in each other and hold each other up. We all know how poo poo it is to feel alone. After all, we're posting on these dead comedy forums.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Stay away from the coronavirus thread if you have anxiety. I was doing really well after a bad anxiety relapse in November but god drat am I ever spiraling now. This poo poo is so loving scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

The corona thread is not the one panicking me, it's the Doomsday Economics one (which I am now avoiding).

Is there any practical benefit to me even finding out what that means? Is there anything I can do? :cripes: